Born January 13: A Bouncing Baby Urban Legend

Jan 28th 2005

Headlines from around the world, January 13, 2005:

"Webhead couple names baby Yahoo"
-Reuters, U.S.

"Yahoo! It's a boy"
-The Sun, U.K.

"Internet couple name baby Yahoo"
-Daily Times, Pakistan

Oops. Smaller headlines, January 24, 2005:

"Boohoo! Yahoo baby story was a fake"
-Reuters, U.S.

"Reporter fired for Yahoo baby hoax"
- MSNBC, U.S.

In case you missed it, the name heard 'round the world was supposedly selected by a Romanian couple who met online. It was actually a middle name: Lucian Yahoo Dragoman. (For my money, Lucian Dragoman is already a heck of a name on its own.) It was reported by the Bucharest paper Libertatea, and somehow became the biggest news story out of Romania in many moons.

Alas, it has been revealed that the reporter invented the whole story, and the newspaper, faced with an international embarassment, sacked him. My favorite part of the saga is this quote from the newspaper's editor:

"If it were real, it would have been a good story indeed."

Indeed! Perhaps American newspapers should lay off the ritual hand-wringing and self-flagellation when their reporters are caught fibbing, and just take the upbeat Romanian attitude: "Wouldn't it be way cool if it were true?"

But I digress.

When the story first broke, it spread like wildfire. Reports of little Yahoo spent days in the "most popular" and "most e-mailed" lists of news web sites. The boring, deflating retraction stories that followed never got any traction. It's fair to assume that thousands of people heard the initial story and never learned it was a fake. And there we have it: a brand new urban legend name, destined for a long life of telling and retelling.

But will it remain just a legend? I have to believe that somewhere out there is a real couple who really did meet on Yahoo Personals, and upon reading the news story--or even the retraction--said "Why not?" After all, it sounds great with Lucian.

Comments

By Anonymous (not verified)
January 28, 2005 4:07 PM

How about that boy named ESPN? Is that still true, or do I have to give up that cherished illusion as well?

By Laura Wattenberg (not verified)
January 28, 2005 6:12 PM

Never fear, there really is an Espn:http://www.babynamewizard.com/blog/2004/09/true-names-stranger-than-fiction.html

By matias (not verified)
February 11, 2005 4:41 PM

I will name mine, Google

By Kate (not verified)
February 15, 2005 8:16 PM

There is an Australian actor who used the name "Yahoo Serious" before we had heard of the Yahoo site.

By Anonymous (not verified)
May 17, 2005 9:25 PM

no one should ever name there child anything that is an internet website bottom line ppl dont name your child something you wouldnt want to be called OK?

By Mallory (not verified)
October 9, 2005 11:16 PM

Hey if my parents named me after a sitcom character, and George in Seinfeld wanted to name his kid "Seven", I don't see problem with naming your kid Google or Yahoo...

By Bryan (not verified)
October 10, 2006 8:00 PM

Yeah, but at least Mallory was wlready a name being used, and George was just being George, a sitcom character.

Whatever happened to Yahoo Serious anyway? I always figured he chose that name because once someone had met him for the first time, their first thought after he had left them would be, "Is this yahoo serious?!" (you know, "Is this idiot for real." *grin*)

July 8, 2014 7:39 AM

Our challenges provide a mixture of distances to allow half marathons, marathons, half ironman triathlons, and full ironman triathlons to be included in at least one of each of our challenges.

learn more about companyname

August 25, 2014 4:30 AM

I have been reading and reviewing your article for a few minutes to ponder some of your sound points. I like the way you think and I agree on a large portion of this content.

No Win No Fee

August 30, 2014 7:50 PM

I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!

No Win No Fee Claims

September 19, 2014 5:29 AM

Thank you so much intended for awe-inspiring libraries regarding instructors 24-hour interval Text message. I will simply select the greatest lecturers 24-hour interval Text message to write down the idea during my handmade card with regard to the most popular tutor. Check out other Exciting SMSes with Our own blog. user reviews