The conformity curve

Mar 1st 2006

Recently I caught some flak for suggesting that today's parents are more determined to be individualists than parents of the past. It's certainly an easy trap to look at older names and just hear them as old, not thinking how fresh and trendy they might have seemed in generations past. (Here's a post from last year on just that topic.) In this case, though, I think the numbers bear me out.

The shorthand on modern America paints the middle of the 20th Century as the national pinnacle of conformity -- the organization man, the feminine mystique. This was followed by the social revolutions of the '60s which sparked a flowering of individualism, for better and for worse. But were the families of the '50s really any more conformist than those who came before? Is post-'60s America really a nation of individualists?

When I was writing my book a few years back, I plotted out a baby name "conformity curve" to address those questions. My intent, honestly, was to debunk some of the the pat little stereotypes. Instead, I confirmed them. The 1940s-50s were indeed the peak of modern conformity, and we've been stalking uniqueness more and more ever since.

The curve shows the percentage of babies receiving a top-25 name in each decade, and today. The 1960s marked a sharp drop in conformity. An even sharper decline began in the 1980s, the first generation of parents raised with the '60s in the rear-view mirror, the new social order taken for granted. At the same time, the novelty rate -- the adoption of new names into the core naming pool -- has been accelerating. Combined, it's a portrait of the curious cultural phenomenon that I jokingly called "lockstep individualism." Across regions, races and classes, many thousands of American parents are united by a common bond: their mutual determination to be nothing like each other.

I don't mean to imply any antagonism. I have no reason to suppose that we all like each other less than in the past. We're just determined to carve out a unique, or at least distinctive, identity for ourselves and our kids. But is it possible for everyone to stand out? In order to be the figure, you need a ground. So certain popular names -- Madison, for example -- are held out as emblems of today's conformity. Madison's highest peak (at #2 in 2001) would have made it only the 12th most popular girl's name of 1957. Conformity just isn't what it used to be.

Comments

By Kristin (not verified)
March 1, 2006 7:35 PM

So according to your chart, Americans were big-time name conformists in the 1880s, too. I bet it would climb even higher if we could look further back. I've been researching my family's genealogy, and I believe one reason for the conformity pre-1960s is the prevalence of naming kids after family members. That practice seems to have become dramatically less popular in the past few decades.

Take my family history, for example. Every generation up until the 20th century had multiple Nathans and Miltons. Cousins would often have the same names because they're all named after a grandfather or an uncle or brother. You hardly ever see something like that today.

By Laurie (not verified)
March 1, 2006 9:15 PM

This is all true, and yet, "old-fashioned classics" outnumber the "novelty names" in the top 10. Hannah, Olivia, Abigail, Emma and Emily are established classics that just hadn't been used much in a few decades until they were "rediscovered." It makes me wonder if people are trying to connect to a time and a way of life that is all but vanished. It's certainly one of the reasons I chose Caroline for my daughter.

By Abby (not verified)
March 1, 2006 11:13 PM

My dad's family, from South Carolina, has constantly recycled family names. Up until my second cousin - born a few months ago. Have you broken the popularity of names down by region? I'm in the South.

As for baby names ... it kind of goes like this for me, as weird as it sounds. I want traditional, classic names that won't sound stupid in an obituary in 75 years. And I'm going to name my children after their grand and great-grandparents: Samuel, Austin, James, Rachel, Lily, Salley or Eliza.

These make me sound conformist, or going with what's popular, because these names are popular today. But they have nothing to do with what I've read or seen on TV!

Couldn't it be that many people are reaching back into family names of 80-100 years ago?

By Elizabeth (not verified)
March 2, 2006 2:36 AM

Laura,
As usual, your take on American social history is fascinating. I love the way you use statistics to bolster your claims. And Laurie, I bet you're right. The so-called "old-fashioned classics" do recall a kinder and gentler era, at least in our modern imagination. In reality, I'm sure we'd all prefer living with dishwashers, refrigerators, and MRIs (not to mention the more serious changes for the better brought about during the Civil Rights Era and women's liberation movement). By naming a little boy Caleb or a baby girl Emmeline, we somehow feel that we can bestow on them some gentility generally lacking in today's Eminem world. But I suspect this trend is largely upheld by white parents--echoes of that past might not appeal to minorities and immigrants.

By Camilla (not verified)
March 2, 2006 12:23 PM

Maybe it's just how we define conformity. Can one conform to individualism, if everyone's doing it? ;)
I think another factor is that in the past they had fewer name ideas at their fingertips as well. The older name books I have have fewer entries than the ones you see now that claim to have four zillion names inside.

By Jennifer (not verified)
March 2, 2006 2:23 PM

I am curious as to whether that graph takes into account that names such as Madison, Hailey, and Brianna all fall into the top 25, but name twins such as Madyson, Haley, and Breanna, not to mention rhyming names such as Addison and Bailey and Kaylie (which could also be a variant on Kayla, which falls in the top 25) into account.

In the 1940's, there was only one way to spell Shirley. You didn't have hundreds and hundreds of parents blessing their little darling with Shirleigh, Chirly, Shirlie, and 12 other spellings, like you see now.

If your graph did not account for this, then I have to stand my ground that naming is no less conformist now than it ever was in this century.

I

By Shannon (not verified)
March 2, 2006 4:28 PM

The other thing to take into consideration beyond the pool of names that Camilla mentioned is that public schooling as we know it today didn't exist until the late 1800's. That meant that the amount of other kids your child knew was a lot smaller than today. Nowadays kids can come into contact with more than 400 other kids in their 12 years of public school that's an awful lot of names, if 10% of them have the same name and end up in the same class that's got a great impact.

By Elly (not verified)
March 2, 2006 10:29 PM

I have the same question as Jennifer- what happens when you add up the homonyms? Or more dramatically, when you add up the rhyming names? -ayden for the boys and -aylie for the girls immediately come to mind. And all the spellings of Caitlin.

By Jen (not verified)
March 2, 2006 11:53 PM

The variants themselves are because people are trying to be just that little bit different even when naming their children Emily or Jacob by using, for instance, Emilee or Jakob. It actually supports her point.

By Jennifer (not verified)
March 3, 2006 1:04 AM

No matter how you spell the kid's name, it is still Emily when spoken. Aidan is actually a very good example of my point. When you look at Aidan alone, it falls at #40 on the 2004 list. Only 9,708 kids were given the name, which makes it a non-entity on Laura's graph. However, that doesn't account for the 7,055 Aidens, Aydens (2,151), Adens (1,017), Adans (1,096) and Aydans (304). Total of 21331 kids named Aidan, which puts it at #8. Do the same to all the names and your top 25 list changes quite dramatically. Likewise, in the girl list, you have 14 variations on Caitlin, 9 spellings of Hailey, 11 spellings of Jasmine, etc.

In fact, adjusting for spellings, the top 25 boy names accounts for 24% of boy names and the top 25 girl names accounts for 30% of total girls. Adding those together, there is an actual INCREASE in conformity - to 54%.

Another thing that could skew results is that all the old data shows popularity by decade, and we are comparing it to a single year. 2000 and 2005 are vastly different lists.

By Sarah R. (not verified)
March 3, 2006 2:55 AM

As a Sarah, I am determined to name my children as uniquely as possible without crossing the line. But when a cool name enters the 'name consciousness,' what was unique is now standard! It's a pitfall! My nephew was named Aidan in 2000 - now every little boy I meet is Aidan. So much for originality. I want to name my second son Finn (who is a months away from coming) but Finn is climbing the ranks in popularity too. I think I have to abandon it, or have him suffer the same fate as I - 5 other Sarah's in the classroom. We had to call ourselves Sarah B. or Sarah W. I do think people are still conformists with names - the trend has just moved from Biblical to unique. We just want to be different... like everyone else.....!

By Elizabeth (not verified)
March 3, 2006 1:41 PM

I remembered reading something about this on the Name Wizard blog and found it on the Feb. 18, 2005 entry. It doesn't answer the question, but it does speak to the difficulties inherent in this kind of research. Interesting stuff.

By Elly (not verified)
March 3, 2006 1:43 PM

You know, whether or not the spellings thing changes our generation's 'conformity factor,' there's another aspect to it that can't be determined by analyzing the SSA's list: naming conformity among different groups (dare I say classes?) in the US. When in the past could you create such a detailed profile of a family's education, politics or even location based on their children's names? I'm not talking about different ethnicities, either- chances are Kaylyn and Brayden give you a different sense than Erin and Connor, which gives you a different sense again from Maeve and Rowan. And if you asked each set of parents why they chose those names, odds-on they'd mention Ireland, but each set of parents probably wouldn't consider using the others' names. It's unfortunate and uncomfortable, a bit.

By Paz (not verified)
March 4, 2006 5:02 PM

Elly,
I agree that certain names seem to be associated with certain classes. But it's been my experience that in the real world, the names usually don't break down by class the way I expect them to. To give you an example, I recently went to my 10 year high school reunion. Now, I went to a very prestigious high school in an upper middle class suburb. Four of my classmates that I spoke to had babies. They were all college-educated, professional women in their upper 20's and the kids names were Tyler, Sydney, Norah, and Devi (an Indian name). Norah and Devi don't surprise me, but I wouldn't have expected trendy names like Tyler and Sydney on 50% of the kids. Then, at my work there is a young girl who is a teen-age mother, and she named her baby Henry. I would have expected her kid to be named Tyler and my classmate's son to be named Henry.

By 1975 Stephanie (not verified)
March 6, 2006 4:34 PM

There was an interesting article on Slate a while ago about the "trickle down" of names down class lines that may be relevant and interesting. It claims that names that start out popular in the upper classes eventually trickle down and lose their status.
Today's "Maeve and Rowan" may be tomorrow's "Brittany." http://www.slate.com/?querytext=baby+names&id=3944&action=fulltext

By Nicole R. (not verified)
March 8, 2006 2:40 AM

Abby says: "...I'm going to name my children after their grand and great-grandparents: Samuel, Austin, James, Rachel, Lily, Salley or Eliza. These make me sound conformist, or going with what's popular, because these names are popular today." I would suggest you just happen to have relatives with good names, and you probably wouldn't consider using them otherwise.

I thought something similar -- that I would name a daughter after my great-grandma Grace, but then I realized that while I got the seed of the idea from my great-grandma's name, I also just liked the sound of the name. Other family names are Herman, Clarence, Gertrude, and Tillie, and although I don't respect those ancestors any less, I'm not using their names!

By anonymous (not verified)
March 8, 2006 8:40 PM

I agree with Paz- you can't always guess parents' economic status by their children's name. We don't have much money ourselves but we are college educated, and my favorite names include Lily, Clara, and Caroline. I think it's a matter of personal taste. I was watching "A Baby Story," and was surprised to see that this suburban couple with a lovely home named their baby Lexi- no full name just Lexi- and was surprised since that is one of the epidemic names among lower-class kids where I live.

By 电导率电极 (not verified)

[url=http://www.xzyb.cn]电动执行机构[/url]
[url=http://www.xzyb.cn]SM单相伺服电机[/url]
[url=http://www.xzyb.cn]冷凝器[/url]
[url=http://www.xzyb.cn]隔离器[/url]

By Mark (not verified)
June 23, 2006 10:04 PM

Jennifer hit the nail on the head, and I think she makes the author's point even more strongly. We are doing our best to avoid conformity, while becoming more similar. The proportion of names coming from the top 25 names is actually increasing. However, the variations on the spelling of those names is also increasing. As usual, the truth can't be described by a simple yes/no answer. It is a fascinating finding.

By Tarnow (not verified)
August 26, 2010 12:26 AM

I find that the conformity change is even larger if you just consider the prevalent of the most popular name. But what happens if you put the names in ethnic baskets? Perhaps the great conformity came from only one group of people?

December 17, 2013 11:53 AM

I think more updates and will be returning. I have filtered for qualified edifying substance of this calibre all through the past various hours. Taruhan Bola 88Tangkas

March 28, 2014 7:49 AM

He might have had input, but standard operating procedure was for a press agent and/or the fan magazine to write these things in a "voice" that would fi. Scottish trust deed company

April 16, 2014 7:34 PM

Whenever I am searching for awesome content and ideas around the net, I always this is an awesome place for that. continue

June 4, 2014 11:24 AM

Interesting. I would agree that focusing on growth vs cost control during the early stages of a business is ideal, however, there will be a point when that shifts

July 21, 2014 7:58 PM

Mencari dress muslimah menjelang hari raya itu sepertinya sudah menjadi kewajiban. Jika anda mencari baju pesta yang murah meriah dan sesuai dengan nilai-nilai Islami maka anda bisa menemukannya pada website kami. Silahkan kunjungi website busana muslimah kami berikut ini. www.fionahijab.com . Sabun Amoorea ini sudah sangat terkenal hijab terbaru untuk bekerja .
Kalau anda tertarik untuk membuat kue takoyaki pada hari raya idul fitri, maka anda bisa mempelajari caranya dari blog kami. Di situ kami membahas cara membuat takoyaki dengan gratis. Anda tidak perlu membeli lisensi apapun untuk membuka usaha takoyaki. Kami juga sudah menyiapkan peralatan yang anda butuhkan jualbahantakoyaki.blogspot.com . jaket korea ini ditawarkan dalam berbagai model  jual alquran .
Tas laptop bisa membantu anda membawa laptop ke mana-mana dengan aman. Tas laptop yang baik harus bisa melindungi isinya dari segala cuaca dan jika bisa meminimalisir dampak benturan. Ada banyak sekali model dari tas laptop saat ini yang bisa anda pilih. www.belanjamuslimah.com . Lihat koleksi jaket couple dari distro bandung bisnis pakaian dalam online .
Untuk memeriahkan pesta anda biasanya orang akan bernyanyi, jika anda tidak menghafal liriknya tentu saja bisa membuat malu. Jadi ada baiknya anda mempelajari lirik lagu yang trend di bawakan saat hari raya. Untuk melihat lirik apa saja yang tersedia anda bisa mencarinya di Google. www.geelirik.com . Dapatkan sarung, baju batik, dan jilbab murah aneka model di sini lirik lagu korea dan oriental .
This post about cancer was made to help people understand about the most dangerous disease in this century. You can visit our website to read and give your opinion about this deadly disease. www.your-disease.com . Dapatkan tips terbaik tentang cara membuat blog dan SEO di sini, tips on how to loose weight .
Apakah anda *****mendownload lagu dari internet? Kami menyediakan berbagai jenis lagu yang bisa anda download. Jadi jika anda tertarik untuk mendengarkan suatu pilihan lagu tertentu silahkan berkunjung ke website kami. weblagump3.net . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini download lagu terlengkap .
perpustakaan online adalah sebuah website yang menyediakan banyak sekali referensi yang bisa anda pergunakan untuk menjawab permasalahan anda. Silahkan anda membaca apa saja koleksi referensi yang ada di perpustakaan kami ini. perpustakaan.or.id . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini gejala kanker .
Salah satu obyek wisata dalam negeri adalah kota padang di sumatera barat. Di sini ada banyak sekali obyek wisata yang bisa anda kunjungi dan tentu saja pesona kuliner dari kota padang itu sudah terkenal seantero negeri. Jadi pastikan saat anda berkunjung ke padang anda menggunakan jasa wisata yang terbaik. www.pelangiholiday.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini rental mobil murah type kijang .
Dalam berkendaraan anda harus memperhatikan kondisi dari aki jika tidak maka anda bisa terkena masalah saat aki tiba-tiba soak di tengah jalan. Sekarang ini ada layanan beli aki online yang bisa anda pergunakan jika anda merasa malas untuk ke toko aki. Tinggal memastikan saja aki apa yang hendak anda beli. www.tokoakionline.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini aki accu mobil baru .
Pada saat anda mau membuat sebuah pesta di luar ruangan maka tenda adalah kelengkapan yang harus disediakan. Jika anda berada di wilayah jakarta maka raihan tenda bisa membantu anda karena perlengkapan pesta outdoor yang dimiliki sangat lengkap. www.raihan-tenda.com  . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini perlengkapan pernikahan terbaik .
Jika anda ingin menjadi leader di dalam sebuah bisnis seperti mmm maka tentunya anda perlu mengeta****apa saja yang perlu anda lakukan di dalam bisnis tersebut. Jadi anda bisa membaca panduan cara bisnis mmm dari blog indonesia berikut ini. mmmindonesiagrup.blogspot.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini panduan menerima bantaun di mmm .
Penstabil tegangan atau voltage stabilizer adalah sesuatu yang perlu anda pakai pada peralatan anda jika kualitas listrik di tempat anda tidak begitu baik. Ada beberapa merek dari AVR atau voltage stabilizer yang sudah diakui seperti matsunaga. voltagestabilizerindonesia.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini stabilizer matsunaga asli .
Jika anda mencari jam tangan yang berkualitas baik itu replika atau original, maka anda bisa mencarinya secara online. Hanya saja saat ini banyak sekali toko online yang tidak lain adalah penipuan. Jadi anda harus membeli jam tangan anda dari toko jam tangan online yang terpercaya. quinnaksesoris.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini jam tangan replika dan original .
Bagaimana tips untuk lulus tes semuanya dibagi di sini. Tes apapun yang anda hadapi selalu saja ada solusinya. Mari lihat berbagai trik yang bisa membantu anda lolos tes cari kerja atau UAN atau tes masuk pergutuan tinggi negeri. lulustes.blogspot.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini curiculum vitae .
Apakah anda membutuhkan jasa konveksi seragam kantor yang berkualitas jika demikian anda bisa mendapatkannya hanya di sini. Sebuah jasa konveksi yang mengutamakan kualitas dan kepuasaan dari pelanggannya. Silahkan hubungi kami konveksi.klikpuas.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini jasa konveksi baju seragam .
Ada banyak sekali penyakit di luar sana yang memerlukan penanganan serius. Hanya saja pengobatan barat cenderung mengakibatkan efek samping. Saat ini tiens menyediakan produk alami yang bisa membantu anda mendapatkan kesembuhan dengan lebih aman. Jadi hubungi website jual online produk herbal tiens. jualtiensonline.blogspot.com . Lihat koleksi sepatu wanita yang dijual online berikut ini suplemen peninggi badan tianshi .
Dalam membangun sebuah blog yang ramai mendapatkan kunjungan dari banyak orang maka anda bisa mencari banyak tutorial SEO atau search engine optimization. Atau anda juga bisa mempelajari bagaimana cara membuat blog yang baik dan benar. klik link ini . silahkan anda pelajari lagi cara membuat facebook, atau twitter, atau blog atau email dan sebagainya. Petunjuknya ada lengkap di sini dan sudah siap untuk anda pelajari. Dapatkan tutorial cara membuat lainnya. indexcaramembuat.blogspot.com .
Selain itu bagi anda yang menggemari fashion wanita, di sini ada tersedia sepatu wanita dan juga wanita beserta aksesorisnya. Ada banyak sekali model terbaru yang unik-unik, jadi jika anda tertarik silahkan berkunjung ke halaman website kami berikut ini kunjungi website kami . Ini dia yang anda butuhkan untuk menambah tinggi badan anak anda www.jualonlinesepatu.com .