NameVoyager '06

Jun 15th 2006

We've freshened up the Baby Name Wizard NameVoyager with the latest name popularity data. Take it for a spin! (If you haven't visited the NameVoyager, plan on spending a while...it's a name-lover's playground.)

The stats now run decade by decade from 1880 through 2005, with one new wrinkle. The past three years are included fully and independently to give a detailed look at the most current trends. Some names to look at to take advantage of this new view:

- See the sudden rise and almost-as-sudden fall of Kanye.

- Jacob is still the #1 name, but notice that it's not standing still.

- Two of the hottest girls' names of the decade, Olivia and Isabella, seem to have reached their peaks. Two other names stepping up in that genre: Amelia and Angelina.

- Watch Nevaeh soar, then soar some more, then even more...

In other news, I've heard the many requests for a babynamewizard.com forum and I'll look into the feasibility of it. Also, forgive me if I'm a little slow on the draw the next couple of weeks. The kindergarten year is drawing to a close, and vacation beckons!

Comments

By Jan (not verified)
June 15, 2006 3:04 PM

NameVoyager is great! I would like it if there was an option(maybe there is and I just don't know it) to see names on the same scale. When I look up Eleanor because it was soooo popular a long time ago, today it looks miniscule and the slope changes are flattened whereas when I look up Ivy the peaks and valleys are more pronounced because it's still in the hundreds.

By Christiana (not verified)
June 15, 2006 5:00 PM

So glad you added the year by year function - so helpful when trying to track the last few years. I'd love to be able to compare names, but I'm sure that starts to get really technical.

I finally had the chance to order your book, Laura - I'm really looking forward to reading it.

I'm so glad Olivia and Isabella have reached their peaks - I love those names and would love to use them.

By anonymous (not verified)
June 15, 2006 6:07 PM

I'd also love to see combinations of names. I'd love to be able to say "Benjamin+Daniel" and get both on the same chart.

Ideally, they wouldn't be stacked; they'd be one in front of the other using transluscent masks or something so both are visible, but the Y axis would be the same scale for both.

By Cheryl (not verified)
June 15, 2006 7:13 PM

The boys' "Q" chart (names beginning with the letter Q) is interesting. They all seem to have that same dip at 2004.

By Judy (not verified)
June 15, 2006 7:31 PM

I'm shocked that Susannah and Louisa remain off the charts. They both seem to have the same style as today's most popular names - Isabella, Sophia, Olivia and Amelia - and yet no one is using them.

By Jessica (not verified)
June 16, 2006 2:50 AM

Looking at the chart I'd be interested to see what the most oscilating names are; the one with the most rises and falls. Greta has a few, as does audrey.

ps--judy, shh about susannah it's one of my favorites ;)

By Kelli (not verified)
June 16, 2006 10:27 AM

I agree with others. I'd love to be able to compare names and see the differences in the frequency.

By Jen (not verified)
June 16, 2006 10:44 AM

Oooh, me too!

By Rona (not verified)
June 20, 2006 11:12 AM

I definately want a forum for the baby name wizard! You rock Laura!!
Its one of my favourite things to do (im seriously obsessed! LOL) Im looking for the perfect girls name for us (to go with my baby Boy Zane) I need a forum to bounce ideas off people!
Goooooooo baby Name Wizard!! WOOT!

By Christiana (not verified)
June 20, 2006 2:22 PM

Where is everybody this week? Is the topic just not open enough to discuss? Usually there are a dozen posts a day - I've been hard pressed the last 2 days to find anyone talking.

By Claire (not verified)
June 20, 2006 3:08 PM

Christiana--I know, I feel the same way. I literally check this site multiple times a day. How about this name for discussion: Cora. I'm not preggo, but since I'm obsessed with baby names, I always make hubby discuss names with me! We both like this one. We already have a 13 month old named Julia Claire. What's everyone's take on Cora?

Claire

By Elizabeth (not verified)
June 20, 2006 7:54 PM

If we're posting wish lists for the Name Voyager, I'd like wild cards. Right now, I can look at the overall trends of names beginning with "N", but not names that end in "N".

By Christiana (not verified)
June 20, 2006 8:18 PM

Claire -
I like the name Cora - it's cute, but suitable for an adult as well as a child and not "Everybody" is using it. I've considered it myself, though it's further down the list for me. It's got a nn option of Cory (could be spelled multiple ways). I like your daughter's name - very classic. I love the name Julia.

By Rachel (not verified)
June 21, 2006 8:52 AM

Cora is very nice.
Cori is a cute nickname.
Corinne is nice too.

I was thinking of Cora too. I'm very fond. :)

By Dana (not verified)
June 21, 2006 3:40 PM

I'm fond of Cordelia, too.

By Cheryl (not verified)
June 21, 2006 8:09 PM

Speaking of Cori (I do like Cora by the way) I have always thought Coriander (nn Cori) would be a really cool name. I didn't like it enough to select it myself, but it IS seriously cool!

By Christiana (not verified)
June 21, 2006 8:16 PM

Oh, I like Cordelia, but it means "daughter of the sea" which seems strange to me. I like the nn Delia, Cordy, and Delie for it, too in addition to Cori or Cora (as a nn this way).

By Jeff (not verified)
June 26, 2006 5:41 PM

It was cool to see our 2 yr old son's name, Brennan, on this list in the 300 range. Brendan is a little more popular, but we like the slightly increased obscurity of Brennan.

We may have a girl to name this fall...one set of our friends picked the girl name for their newborn that is #1 for zooming up the charts - Ava. We will pick something farther down the list.

By Christiana (not verified)
June 27, 2006 12:24 PM

Ooh, love the name Brennan - sounds so Celtic - like he's coming in from the moutains of Scotland or something. Great name.

By KF (not verified)
July 1, 2006 7:26 PM

Brennan is an Irish surname as far as I know. Nothing to do with Scotland or mountains.

I wonder sometimes why some of our Welsh names aren't picked up by the American "I love the Celts" set but then I guess they couldn't pronounce most of them! Manes like Enfys, Emyr, Angharad, Ioan, Aneurin and Myfanwy don't trip as easily off the tounge as Brendan or Malcolm!!!!

Thats not a bad thing really as I'd hate to see our names picked up and used by people who have no connection or interest in our country or heritage.

By Neala (not verified)
July 18, 2006 11:38 PM

The Voyager looks great! I have always been a name fan (stemming from when I was young and REVILED my name... now I like it!), and this was fun! Can't wait to try it out for "real"!

By Jennifer S (not verified)
July 23, 2006 8:15 PM

Amanda,
Interesting observation on "Delilah". Does anyone have any ideas as to the crazy rise and fall of this name? And wasn't Delilah a quesitonable character in the Bible? I wonder why this name seems to rise and plummet so quickly and so often. Someone previously mentioned that they were interested in the sociology of names. This stuff really is fascinating.

By chiara (not verified)
July 24, 2006 6:59 AM

hi, i'm from italy. I just want to say that i really like cora, but even more i like "coralie", it's sweet. and isn't amy the simplest and sweetest?

By nl (not verified)
August 10, 2006 9:45 PM

Okay...I'm 8 months pregnant and I have to know....does everyone think the name Amelia is going to become the new Jennifer? If so...we need to come up with something new...fast. Problem is, we both love the name and sort of combines the name of two grandmothers. Thought?

By CHristiana (not verified)
August 11, 2006 8:16 PM

Amelia does seem to be becoming more popular, but my guess is that it won't be as common as Jennifer was in the 80's. If it means something to you, go for it and you can always nickname her something more unusual if you need to.

Melia is another option - (Mah-LEE-ah) if you like the look of the letters in Amelia.

By Abi (not verified)
September 6, 2006 6:17 PM

Amelia goes into the same category as Matilda, Jemima, and Freyja. Very popular with British middle classes right now.

By Annette (not verified)
September 16, 2006 3:19 AM

I'm shocked at what I'm seeing about Amelia. It's a name that's one of our top 3 right now, and I will NOT use a popular name. I like classic and non-trendy names. I'm considering avoiding it because of your feedback.

Claire- I like Cora! I also like Corina, Corinne and Coralie.

By nl (not verified)
September 18, 2006 4:31 PM

So...I'm the poster who was unsure whether to name our daughter Amelia because of its upcoming popularity. We decided to go for it and we're glad we did. We have gotten a ton of compliments on the name which is worrying but what can you do. It suits her perfectly. Amelia Jo was born 8/24/06.

By Laura (not verified)
October 13, 2006 3:39 PM

I have an Amilia who was born on 9/24/04. We still love the name and don't care if it is becoming popular. At least the new pick is classy, right? I still only know of one child (5 yrs. old) with the same name. It took us forever to agree, so we were going for it! Now, a second one might be even harder since the first name is so loved by the family!

By Susan (not verified)
October 14, 2006 7:46 PM

I believe that if you love and name and it has meaningful family connections you should definitely use it regardless of what the popularity ratings say.

I hestitated a bit to name my son Jacob -- can't get more popular that that! LOL But, I'd intended for many years to name a son Jacob because my maiden name was Jacobson. I stuck with my initial desire and am very happy I did. It suits him well. And, I guess in our area Jacob is past its peak, because, so far, he has been the only Jacob in his preschool classes, playgroups, etc.

By Mandy (not verified)
October 22, 2006 5:52 AM

Cora looks ok. but it means 'maiden'and 'civil rights activist'?

By gazeteler (not verified)
January 2, 2007 1:18 AM

By Fiona UK (not verified)
February 21, 2007 6:42 PM

Amelia is what we called our daughter who is now 12! Time flies! I always knew if I had a daughter this is what I would call her. Over the years she has had numerous variations but the ones that stick are Millie and Amy, but I still love the name and my daughter!

By sohbet (not verified)
March 27, 2007 10:09 AM

By Joanna (not verified)
May 7, 2007 6:58 PM

This is such an interesting discussion. I am 8mo. pregnant and in the naming throes right now. Having always loved the name Amelia (and not knowing its popularity), I ran it by family and was ridiculed with "Amelia Bedelia" jokes.

My husband and I then settled on Anya (nickname Ani) and have gotten similarly unenthusiastic responses, mostly along the lines of "Oh, that's Russian?" or "Like that singer?" (er, Enya, no.)

Given the rising popularity of Amelia, I'm now inclined against it anyway, but does Anya really sound very "foreign"? We are not Russian immigrants, just liked the name! Oh, and FYI, we are planning a middle name of Grace.

By theresa (not verified)
May 14, 2007 11:16 PM

My daughter is almost 3 and her name is Anya, it's a family name on my mother's side. People LOVE it. It is traditional, which is important to me. But it's not boring, nor is it too crazy (like dakota). I have had 3 people ask if they can copy it (they all live in other states so I'm fine with it--I'd be fine no matter what).

By Anne (not verified)
May 16, 2007 12:18 AM

Hi Joanna.....had a beautiful baby girl in December...her name is Amelia Grace. Don't know where you live, but here in NY it is a name that nobody else uses...I loved that about it...plus it just fits her so well, Amelia Bedelia jokes and all...it's ok! Evereywhere we go and people ask us her name it always gets such a great response...alomost as if its a name everyone knows, but yet had forgotten...I just love it!

By Anne (not verified)
May 16, 2007 12:23 AM

Ok...now I have read all the earlier posts....and I'm worried! What makes you say that Amelia is growing in popularity? My baby is truly the only one I have ever met! My whole life I dreamed of a daughter named Abigail, but then it exploded in popularity so I had to give it up...but still wanted an old name, one with character and femininity both. I live in New York, are the comments mostly from the UK? I know Amelia is popular there, but really hasn't hit here at all...

By Melanie (not verified)
June 6, 2007 7:19 PM

Ugh! I am so disappointed on hearing the popularity of Amelia. I love it and always have. Same with Ethan and Isabella which have soared into popularity. We named our son Ethan but everytime I go to the store and hear someone screaming at their Ethan, it makes me cringe. I still planning on using Amelia...I don't know any and think it is beautiful and feminine...besides, who doesn't love Amelia Bedelia?

By nl (not verified)
July 23, 2007 5:58 PM

I'm in ny and I wouldn't say Amelia's popularity is exploding (I'm the one who posted before, our Amelia is now almost 1 year). I will say that slowly slowly I hear the name now. I know two in Ca and one other in NYC.

By sohbet (not verified)
August 18, 2007 11:38 PM

thanks..

By Sohbet (not verified)
August 24, 2007 3:16 AM

nice work.

By internetten hürriyete ilan (not verified)
September 7, 2007 7:06 AM

nice page

By gazeteye ilan internetten (not verified)
September 7, 2007 7:07 AM

thanks..

By oyun (not verified)
December 2, 2007 7:34 AM

thank you...

By mp3 indir (not verified)
December 16, 2007 3:39 PM