Baby Name Pool 2006

Jan 11th 2007

It's time for the 2nd Annual Baby Name Pool, your chance to demonstrate your keen ear for name trends by guessing the fastest rising and falling names of the past year.

Choose three names you think were hot in the United States in 2006, three that were not. (Official government name stats won't be released until Spring.) The top composite score wins a year's worth of bragging rights as the country's #1 "namie." All entries must be submitted by March 1, 2007. One entry per person please!

If you're an old hand at the Pool, head right over to BabyNamePool.com.

If you could use a little background and tips for success, last year's contest info is a great place to start:

- the announcement of the 2005 contest
- the 2005 contest winners
- the actual hottest/nottest names of 2005

Then, it's on to the pool!

Comments

By Helen (not verified)
January 12, 2007 6:05 PM

Thanks for the chuckle! I just read through the "rules" for entering the pool and got a kick out of them.

By Wendy (not verified)
January 12, 2007 7:28 PM

Hey Laura, I don't know if it is just me, but I can't access the ballot from the Baby name Pool site. Link isn't good.

By Laney (not verified)
January 13, 2007 9:36 AM

Is there any way I could get a list of names that end in -ina? Anybody?

Also what are the BEST baby name listing sites? Lots of them are fake or useless or involve too many clicks. Anybody?

By Elizabeth T. (not verified)
January 13, 2007 11:49 AM

Laney,
You might try the Social Security's website if you haven't already. It doesn't have the meanings of the names, but it does have the official US rank in popularity for each name from 1-1000 going back decades.

By RobynT (not verified)

Rina
Lina
Carolina
Alina
Rosina
...

I've been trying to think of girls' names that end in T or with a T sound. (I've decided tht this would sound best with the middle and last names. Of course I've got a few years to change my name and figure it out. But I'm also amused by the limited number of T names.) Here's what I came up with so far:
Dot
Margaret
Annette
Odette
Lynette
(I don't really like any of these names...)

By Penn (not verified)
January 13, 2007 4:00 PM

Hey Laney--the top -ina names used for new US babies in 2005 were Angelina (#43), Christina (#138), Sabrina (#168), Karina (#212), Katrina (#247), Alaina (#252), Nina (#255), Carolina (#291), Kristina (#349), Alina (#388), Paulina (#399), Marina (#411), Elaina (#438), Valentina (#462), Cristina (#489), Melina (#558), Gina (#599), Regina (#603), Catalina (#661), Carina (#742), Tina (#781), Raina (#824), Selina (#875), Amina (#884), Mina (#890), Reina (#927), Katarina (#950), Lina (#970), Celina (#980).

By Penn (not verified)

Antoinette
Lisette
Kit
Britt
Monserrat
Kate

A lot of modern Hebrew women's names end in T, too. Ganit, Ranit, Karmit, Nurit, Judit, Ilanit, Gilit, etc.

By RobynT (not verified)
January 13, 2007 5:00 PM

Wow, thanks!

By laney (not verified)
January 13, 2007 5:57 PM

yeah..thanks!

By Sarah (not verified)
January 13, 2007 9:44 PM

Another "T" name on the rise:

Charlotte!!

By Lillie (not verified)
January 14, 2007 12:22 AM

Suzette
Arlette
Kat
Marguerite

By Amanda H (not verified)
January 14, 2007 1:39 AM

Cosette
Colette
Bernadette
Bridget
Yvette

Ariana
Evelina
Camilla
Diana

And both -ina and -ette are both dimunitive forms of names, so you can take almost any name and add one or the other. (-ina is Spanish, and -ette is French)

By Amanda H (not verified)
January 14, 2007 3:06 AM

Duh with Ariana and Diana... ina not ana.

And, inspired by Barbie:
Odette

By lizpenn (not verified)
January 14, 2007 3:37 AM

A name ending in T that I like is Marit. It's Scandinavian, I think -- Swedish? -- but sounds nice in English too.

By Christiana (not verified)
January 14, 2007 5:38 PM

Odette goes way back beyond Barbie movies... Princess Swan, I believe and possible some greek mythology, but I can't remember clearly.

By Amanda H (not verified)
January 14, 2007 10:17 PM

Most definitely! It's from Swan Lake, and also is the swan from Greek myth. Barbie just made me think of it :) My daughter goes between Mermadia, Swan Lake, Fairytopia...

By Jan (not verified)
January 15, 2007 3:58 AM

Speaking of competitions, I just came across this fun link on the ssa baby names website. It's "Baby names & city names" under Baby Name Data. I came up with five but it took me a few tries.

"From the list of United States cities with populations of 100,000 or more (as provided by the U. S. Census Bureau), we have drawn those names that are in the top 1000 names for births in 2005. Can you guess 5 of them?"

By Elizabeth T. (not verified)
January 15, 2007 12:03 PM

Off the top of my head: Denver, Charlotte, Orlando, Dallas, and Austin? I'll have to check it out. I think of these as boys' names (except for Charlotte), though I suppose there are girls named Denver (Toni Morrison's "Beloved" comes to mind), Dallas and Austin.

By Penn (not verified)
January 15, 2007 2:13 PM

I'll guess Madison, Austin, Charlotte, Brooklyn, and Boston.

By Kristine (not verified)
January 15, 2007 2:54 PM

Hi,
This is my first time on the blog ... and I have to say I'm impressed that most people's suggestions aren't overly trendy or cheesy. My last name is Elbert, and I'm trying to come up with a good girl's name that's pretty traditional. I think for a boy it will either be Max (my favorite) or Connor. The top contenders for a girl right now are:
Madeleine (or Madeline)
Claire
Evelyn
Annette
Sophie (though that's my grandmother's cat's name, so maybe not)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

By Valerie (not verified)
January 15, 2007 3:54 PM

Laney:
Nina, Petrina, Sina, Sabina and my favorite, Irina.

By Christiana (not verified)
January 15, 2007 3:55 PM

Kristine - (love your spelling by the way), I like your Madeleine, Claire and Annette best from your list. Seeing as all 3 have been on my list (and 2 still are) I guess that's part of it. Also consider classic names like Caroline and Catherine, possibly? Amanda, maybe?

By Christiana (not verified)
January 15, 2007 4:04 PM

The site Jan mentioned:
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/citylist.html (this is the answer list - some may surprise you!)

By AJ (not verified)
January 15, 2007 6:51 PM

Christiana, I did get five out of five, but the entire list of 21 had some surprises because a couple of the names are the Top 1000 list--but I don't think parents are naming their kids for that place. Rather, the place name is a proper name anyway. ;-)

By AJ (not verified)
January 15, 2007 7:10 PM

Just put in my ballot. It's going to be a long wait until Mother's Day for that 2006 list to come out. ;-)

By Christiana (not verified)
January 15, 2007 7:13 PM

Exactly. I got 4 out of 5, but some surprised me as place names. I had never heard of Norman, Oklahoma, for instance.

By Elizabeth T. (not verified)
January 15, 2007 7:26 PM

Thanks for the link, Christiana. I never would have guessed there were boys out there named Boston! And I agree, AJ, I have never heard of some of these cities either. I'll have to get out my atlas and check them out.

By Amanda H (not verified)
January 15, 2007 10:31 PM

The slap your forehead moment for me with that quiz MADISON. I had just never associated Madison the name with Madison WI, though I can't claim not to have heard of it before...

By tracy b (not verified)
January 16, 2007 12:29 AM

My daughter's name is Melina, which is a Greek name even though we aren't Greek. It has something to do with honey, or honeybee. I get compliments on it all the time.

By Melissa C (not verified)
January 16, 2007 2:37 AM

Laney here is some more ina endings suggestions

Selina, Telina, Evelina, Evangelina, Marina, Georgina, Antonia, Adelina,Adamina, Athina, Elvina, Arlina, Augustina, Avelina, Brina, Delphina, Delaina, Edwina, Galina, Josephina, Yasmina, Justina, Larina, Lavinia, Marlina, Nadina, and Olina.

By Melissa C (not verified)
January 16, 2007 2:46 AM

Robyn here are some "T" suggestions.

Amethyst, Bridget, Celeste, Evette, Juliet Janet, Nicolette, Starlett, Tayte and Violet. Hope this helps.

By pete (not verified)
January 16, 2007 8:25 AM

i would have to say Molly, Jessica and also teri, so what do you think am i close or way off

By Elly (not verified)
January 16, 2007 4:00 PM

Laura, and all other Americans on the board:
What on earth happened to the name Clare/Claire in the 70s? The voyager shows a drastic fall in both, and then (especially Clare) picks up right where it left off in the 80s. As I know both Brits and Canadians around age 30 with the name I'm going to assume whatever it was that put parents off was an American phenomenon...
Very puzzling!

By mj (not verified)
January 16, 2007 10:38 PM

I was really surprised that Cheyenne wasn't on the city list--I thought it was somewhat popular for girls.

I do know an American Claire around age 30, as well, and there's also Claire Danes, who's just a bit younger. I don't know of any specific reason that Claire wasn't popular in the 70's.

By mj (not verified)
January 16, 2007 10:38 PM

Okay, so now I'm realizing that Cheyenne doesn't have enough people to make the cut!

By Juliana (not verified)
January 17, 2007 12:49 PM

Looking for a boys name that has an "AN" in it. I have two sons, Daniel and Ryan. I have thought of some, but nothing that I am wild about: Devan, Dylan, Evan, Logan, but we have reasons not to use them. We've got Morgan picked for a girl, but don't really like it for a boy. Thanks.

By Beth (not verified)
January 17, 2007 2:26 PM

How about Nathan? Or Ethan? Or Andrew? I hate Brandon, but it does have an "AN." And there's always Herman... OK, I'm stopping right there. I vote for Andrew, which is a classic.

By Valerie (not verified)
January 17, 2007 2:45 PM

Damian
Florian
Cyprian
Caspian
Anthony

By Valerie (not verified)
January 17, 2007 2:50 PM

Anselm
Alexander
Landon
Randall
Randolph
Evander
Van
Sanford
Stanley
Branford
Stanford
Cranford
Oleander
OK, I think I got a bit carried away...

By Valerie (not verified)
January 17, 2007 2:53 PM

Julian
Adrian

By Melissa C (not verified)
January 17, 2007 4:03 PM

Here are a couple more an suggestions

Aidan,Andre,Shane, Jonathan, Chance, Sean, Keegan, Brendan, Brennan, Brian, Donovan, Nolan, Chandler, Christian, Grant, Keenan, Dean, Kieran, Blaine, Roman, Ian, Jonah, Jordan, Sebastian, Sullivan, Zane,

By Wendy (not verified)
January 17, 2007 6:47 PM

Some different ones...

Andreas, Anton, Antonio, Anson, Langdon, Reagan, Jaydan, Haydan

My vote; Zander (Xander) but probably not your style...

By Lauren (not verified)
January 17, 2007 7:12 PM

I can't access the ballot form.

By lizpenn (not verified)
January 17, 2007 7:27 PM

Cranford??

For some reason I can't stop laughing at that name. "Meet my son, Cranford." That's a pretty tough one to get behind. But thanks for taking the "AN" ball and running with it, Valerie!

By Christiana (not verified)
January 17, 2007 7:54 PM

Antony, maybe? Alexander to go w/ Wendy's Xander. Bryan, but that may be too close to Ryan... I like Landon best - it's on my list. Also Brennan and Keegan, but they may be a litle too Celtic to match the others. I also knew a pair of brothers named Ryan and Nolan (totally accidental in the Nolan Ryan connection) which always sounded good to me.

Cranford makes me giggle a bit, but also Oleander. I'd have a hard time giving that name to a boy. Thanks for the smile though. :-)

By laney (not verified)
January 17, 2007 7:55 PM

I know a little boy named Herman. He's about 3. I swear to god it fits him PERFECTLY.

By Tansey (not verified)
January 17, 2007 10:00 PM

Oleander? Sheesh - only if you want to name your child after a tremedously poisonous plant. Meet my son/daughter Deadly Nightshade anyone?
Cranford is fabulous if you can picture him 50 years in the future as a portly banker or Chairman of the Board but as a hunky athletic 20 plus year old on the beach? I don't think so...
MJ - a version of Cheyenne that doesn't look like a horse's name is Siani - pronounced the same but is an old Romney name from southern England. I also found it strange Claire wasn't popular in the US in the 70's - it was one of the classics here in NZ along with Emily, Charlotte and Kate.

By Amanda H (not verified)
January 17, 2007 11:06 PM

Some other -an names (forgive repeats)...

Vaughan
Tiernan
Stephan
Ivan
Jonathan
Nathan
Riordan
Adrian
Aidan

By Valerie (not verified)
January 18, 2007 12:08 AM

Hey, I never said I LIKED any of the names I put forward! :)

By Elizabeth T. (not verified)
January 18, 2007 2:15 AM

Valerie, I think you ought to go on every baby name board you can find and push Cranford. Then in two years you can get a 25% bonus in Laura's pool when it cracks into the top 1000! Now if that isn't motivating, I don't know what is. Ah, Cranford, my son the portly banker...