The ultimate sibling-naming challenge

Jun 16th 2008

Most parenting tasks get easier with experience. Those baby bathtubs and 100-snap pj's don't look nearly so intimidating the second time around. But one key parenting challenge actually gets harder with baby #2, and even harder with #3, 4 and beyond: choosing a name.

Perhaps you used the only two girls' names you could agree on for your daughter's first and middle names. Or your son is named Mason, ruling out Cason...and Macy. Or maybe, once you named two girls Gabriella and Isabella, you felt the need to stick to flowing, feminine names for girl #3 so she wouldn't feel too different from her sisters. Each name you choose shrinks your universe of future options.

So imagine the challenge facing the Duggar family of Arkansas, expecting their 18th child. The first 17 all have names starting with J, which defines their universe of options as J names that won't be confused with...

Jackson
John-David
Joseph
Joshua
Josiah
Joy-Anna
Justin

This seemed like a perfect challenge for my NameMatchmaker, the name-savvy program I use to help choose sibling name suggestions for the Baby Name Wizard book. Revving up the program, it quickly became clear that the Duggars' divergent approaches to boys' and girls' names would be a stumbling block. Faced with reconciling Joshua and Jeremiah with Jinger and Jessa, my NameMatchmaker got a little depressed. When I stuck to boys, though, things looked brighter. After tweaking some settings in the Matchmaker, these are the best bets:

1. Jared
2. Jacob
3. Joel
4. Jonas
5. Jaron
6. Japheth
7. Jericho
8. Judah
9. Jefferson

As for girls...tough call. Ruling out names starting with Jan-, Jill-, Jess- and Jen- plus feminine versions of the boys' names limits your options, while ruling in creative spellings and neologisms makes everything more unpredictable. Here's what the Matchmaker ultimately came up with:

1. Jeanna
2. Jodie
3. Jeannine
4. Jemima
5. Julianne
6. Jocelyn
7. Jordana
8. Jaclyn
9. Jerusha

As I say, a tough call. And naturally, choosing names is the least of the many challenges of raising 18 children. But it's a compelling challenge for name-loving people. Can you come up with your own list of names you'd pick for 18 kids...remembering that you pick names one at a time, assuming each may be your last?

Comments

By nikki (not verified)
June 16, 2008 10:25 AM

Oh, I will need time for this one!

As for the Duggars, if I had a say, I'd go with Jared or Jacob for a boy. In fact, I'm surprised that they haven't had a Jacob yet! Jocelyn or Julianne for a girl. I'd stay away from Julianna though, given that they have a JoHanna and Joy-Anna already!

By Ellen (not verified)
June 16, 2008 10:34 AM

I don't have a list of names (I can barely pick for #1!).

I did want to comment on the statement "assuming each may be your last" because on both mine and my husband's sides of the family, the youngest son ended up being "Jr.". This always intrigued me. If you wanted a son named after you, wouldn't you go with the first? Did this mean they "ran out" of names and figured "Jr." would be good enough for the newest baby? What would have happened if they'd had another? What if they had had a girl?

All questions I don't have answers to, but interesting nonetheless.

By Lorien (not verified)
June 16, 2008 10:45 AM

Well, the trouble with picking is coming to agreement with DH. Some of these would never make it by him...and some rather surprising ones would--Philomena, for example. These are all names that I actually would use. (I'd love to have a listing of our "wish I could, but better not" names sometime. My list of those includes such forgotten gems as Peregrine and Perpetua.) :-)

Cecily
Susanna
Felicity
Philomena
Charlotte
Sylvia
Elsa
Mary Rose (or Mary Pearl or Mary Grace…)
Miriana

Gerard
Clement
Paul
Thaddeus
Peter
Raymond
Thomas
Leo
Matthias

As you can see, I don't mind the simple Paul and Elsa alongside Thaddeus and Philomena.

By Lorien (not verified)
June 16, 2008 10:48 AM

For the Duggars, I'd recommend Jacinta (which didn't make it onto my girls' list because I had to stop at nine), and Joachim, which would also be on my list except I really can't stand the nickname "Joe"--at all.

By rachel (not verified)
June 16, 2008 10:59 AM

I had a cousin sibling set all starting with T. Trent, Troy, Travis, Tyson, Tyler and Terrilee. I always thought it was interesting that they had the Tr- going for a while, then switched to Ty-, then gave up on the one girl. Of course, that isn't the order of the kids, so maybe it just ended up Tr- and Ty- on accident.

I could definitely NOT come up with 18 baby names...planning for this first one has been interesting, especially when my brother's wife is having her second baby 6 weeks before me, and totally stole my name! :)

By Uly (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:04 AM

I have a disturbing urge to root for Jezebel. It's even Biblical!

By c. Elizabeth (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:13 AM

This is easy for me because I stared a list in high school and have been tweaking ever since. I could name 18 boy AND 18 girls (assuming of course that I don't have to consider DH's opinion) In no particular order:

Serenity Rhiannon

Phillip Ulfric
Sebastian Oberon
Aidan De'Shay
Glyndon Alec
Tiernan Aethelwulf
Eliun Narsil

Wow, upon counting the names on my list, I have exactly 18 for each, what a coincidence. Of course this doesn't include the two female that I've already used.

By Mari (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:19 AM

There was a "K" family that lived in my hometown:
Kimberly, Kevin, Keith, Kristine, Kelly and Ken

18 names!! This will take some time.

By Mari (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:27 AM

c.Elizabeth - Your name list is so exotic...now I am curious to know the names of your two children, if you care to share!

By sme (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:32 AM

I could barely come up with a fantasy triplet set when we did that a while ago, but here is my best shot at 18:

Caroline

Owen
Mitchell
Duncan
Gabriel

By sme (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:35 AM

Rachel, do you mind sharing the name your SIL took from you?

By Lauren (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:45 AM

Ugh, I strongly dislike one letter sibsets. I find them repetitive, dull, cutesy, and illogical. What about the other 25 wonderful letters of the alphabet, crying out to be used?

What, beyond a kitschy idea, motivated the Duggars to name their children all J names? And bad, often indistinguishable names at that? Jedidiah and Jeremiah (names of the 9 year old twins) sound painfully similar--and worse when one considers that both their middle names are Robert! (I guess the Duggars still adhere to the mid-century practice of naming your twins rhyming, sing-song names: Jan and Nan, if you will.) Joseph and Josiah, while both good names in their own right, also run together.

The girls names baffle me even more: our lexicon contains many beautiful, feminine J names(including Josephine, Julia, and June) and they selected Jinger? Really?

I guess you can tell I'm not really a fan of the Duggar family. Or same-letter sibsets in general. My (much older) cousins were named Brooke, Brad (either Bradley or Bradford, I'm not quite sure which), Barton (a family name, I presume; called BJ), and Becka (Becky). As a child I frequently puzzled over this naming quirk and frequently mixed the cousins up.

A much more interesting (but no less strange) trick for parents seeking some sort of alphabetical hinjink would be to name their children alphabetically, starting with A. The 1954 Hollywood musical, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, features a family of rough and tumble brothers, each given Biblical names for the first seven letters of the alphabet, a compromise between their parents. They are...
Adam
Benjamin
Caleb
Daniel
Ephraim
Frankincense (called Frank, the Bible apparently having no F names--although according to Wikipedia, Felix, Festus, and Fortunatas are all mentioned in the Bible)and
Gideon.

Interesting concept. I'm not sure I like it, but it does offer more diversity than a string of J, B, or K names. If only the Duggars had considered this. They, at least, could reach 26!

By Nicole (not verified)
June 16, 2008 11:55 AM

I LOVE Judah and Jonah, and would love to see their next boy with one of those names.

For a girl, what about:
Jade
Jadis
Jemma
Japera (ja-PARE-ah)
Jaslia
Jasmine
Juliana
Jessamine

By nikki (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:01 PM

I heard an interview with Mrs. Duggar, where she basically explained the J name obsession. She said that when they had their first child (I believe that's Joshua) that was just their favorite name. Then came the twins, Jana and John-David. They liked one of the names, which happened to begin with J, and decided to go with a J name for the other twin in case those were their only kids (haha!) and that child wouldn't be left out. Each kid, they continued to name a J because "what if this is our last?," and they wouldn't want that kid to be left out. It's well...interesting to say the least!
Still you would think that after, oh I don't know, the 7th or 8th kid, it would hit them that they aren't stopping with the baby-making anytime soon, and maybe it was time to move on to a different letter.
Oh, and little Jennifer is their youngest (for a while longer anyway). One of my friends said "It took them 17 J-names to finally get to Jennifer!?!?!?"

By nikki (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:04 PM

Ohh...I just re-read my last comment about the Duggars and I'm afraid it may have come off as a little catty and b*tchy. Sorry about that. Let me explain, I actually have no problem with the Duggar family themselves! I was just trying to make comments (without judgment) on their naming style. Sometimes things just come across wrong in writing.....

By c. Elizabeth (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:05 PM

Mari--My daughters are Xe'Nedra Damara and Gwynneth Ariadne.

I just wish I would get to use more my names. DH says we're done, and even if we aren't, I only get to name girls. (sigh for all my boys names going to waste)I think I'll have to get an aquarium full of fish.

By Mme.G (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:28 PM

I grew up across the street from an "R" family. mom was Roxanne, kids were Raelynn, Renee, Rebecca, Ronalee, and Rachel Rita.

By Zoerhenne (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:31 PM

c. Elizabeth-I know you have exoctic tastes and I know your girls names from the last thread (which are too different for me to use but lovely). I just hope you have a short last name though with as many syllables as some of those names have.

As far as the Duggars go, they have a voting spot on their website which I posted on a fe w threads ago I'll have to find it but I know that Julianne/a and Jocelyn were a few of their choices.

As far as 18 kids to name-first of all would NEVER, EVER happen-2 in reality is just fine to take care of. However, for fun I will post them. Starting with what I have already and working on in order: Eric Matthew and Natalie Renee then choosing accordingly some input from dh is included.
Boys:
Stephanie Rhiannon nn Stevie
Kimberley Elizabeth nn Kimmie
Cassandra Alexis nn Cassie
Jessica Noelle nn Jess

By Wendy (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:40 PM

I would love to NAME 18 kids as long as I don't have to RAISE them. ; ) This was a nice exercise while driving to work...

My only "style" is no names in the most popular 100. So if I named all 18 kids based on the 2007 list they would be:

Suzanna (my one and only)
Lorelei
Eliza
Phoebe
Avonlea
Junia (A Duggar name perhaps?)
Analia
Jewel (seems out of place, but family name...)
Felicity

Boys are harder...

Alec
Josiah
Bryce
Micah
Zander
Robinton
Chester (family name that is growing on me...)
Shane
Grant

The girls names were easy. The boys name were more difficult because the names I liked in the past have become too popular!

Laura, what would you name 18 kids?

By Wendy (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:44 PM

Looking at the Duggar names, I have to wonder about Johannah and Joy-Anna.... way too close in pronounciation for me, but to each his own!

By Angela (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:44 PM

Here's hoping for Joel or June!

By c. Elizabeth (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:46 PM

Zoerhenne--LN is two syllables, easy to spell and easy to pronounce.

On a side note, when Xe'Nedra was born wehad comments from our parents on what a long name it is. We thought that was particularly funny considering those same people named US Elizabeth and Jonathan, which are longer.

By Valerie (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:48 PM

What fun, I thought... and then found it is harder than I first realized. I decided to write down the names as they came to me, and my rule was that I couldn't go back and change them later (as Laura says: "remembering that you pick names one at a time, assuming each may be your last"). I did allow myself nine of each, although I know that wouldn't necessarily be the case. I'm not giving my dh input on this (too hard) but am factoring in his last name, which rhymes with -eek, as this is definitely a factor, as I don't feel comfortable choosing a first name with a strong ee sound (goodbye, Serena, Selina, Nina) or a -k sound at the end (farewell, Frederick :( )

So here goes:

Theodore
William
Charles
Raphael
Christian
Gabriel

Guess it looks like I had a religious conversion near the end! Oh, have just realized that Theo and Lucia both have strong ee sounds...oh well!
Also very sadly had to omit Louis (Lou-EE) and Miranda, as these are my cats.

sme- notice we have some overlap!

By Zoerhenne (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:49 PM

Here's the link that was posted previously. We had a slight discussion on this on the May 4th thread.
She's got youngest to oldest=Jennifer Danielle, Johannah Faith, Jackson, Justin, James, Jason, Jeremiah +Jedidiah (twins), Joy-Anna, Josiah, Joseph, Jinger, Jessa, Jill, John-David +Jana(twins), Joshua. So what should they name the next one? They have a poll going (on left side of link below) but we could post some names here too that maybe then haven't thought of.
I thought of Jordan, Jeffrey, and Jayden for boys, and Jasmine, Janet, Janice, Joelle, Jolie, Jalia, and Jalissa for girls.

By Moonie (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:51 PM

With some effort to expand my current "liste du jour", and to organize them alphabetically, I ended up with an 18 child family of:

Athena Grace (g)
Ophelia Louise (g)
Quinn Anthony (b)
Sebastian Caleb (b)
Tristan Andrew (b)
Xavier Ian (b)
Zara Claire (g)

It wasn't easy to come up with so many names, and especially ones that work together... though admittedly not all mine do work together THAT well.

By c. Elizabeth (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:52 PM

I just went back to look at the number of syllables. They range from 5 to 8, but over 3/4 are 6. I wonder what it is that makes me arrange names in 6 syllable sets.

also I apologize for mis-spelling Cassandra

By Sister Melinda (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:55 PM

Can't play--because I can't even wrap my mind around birthing and raising more than the two I've already got. It ain't happening. So the only names I'd be able to come up with would be Figment, Vapour, Wraith, Chimera, Fantasia (oh, wait, people actually use that last one, don't they...).

I agree with Lorien that in REAL life, there's usually a partner's tastes to consider in all this--and a surname--both of which usually require more compromises than the pre-existing sibling names. The best sib "match" isn't any good, if the other parent hates the name, or if it really doesn't work with the kid's surname--because the other parent and the full name are realities the kid'll be dealing with long after the sibs are living on their own.

And I also agree with Lauren in having an intense visceral aversion to same-initial sib sets--they send me running, sorry, every time. Not the kids' fault, though: I was part of rhyming sister names, just a pair, but we both hated that our very identity was an advertisement for our mum's sense of "cute" (which neither of us shared, even remotely). My name wouldn't easily be adjusted, but she retreated to a different non-rhyming nickname as soon as she was able to enforce it.

By c. Elizabeth (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:56 PM

Moonie--I love your list, it's got a lot of names that match up with my style, but you managed to make your shorter. I may have to pilfer.

By cc (not verified)
June 16, 2008 12:58 PM

Oh, this is fun! I'm long past baby naming days, but a life-long name enthusiast. These would be my picks:

Katharine

Gregory
David
Michael
Spencer
William
Jonathan

I generally prefer traditional names rather than creative names...they have staying power, and always sound classy and classic to my ear. Many of my choices will sound, I'm afraid, dull to younger women...but,take'em or leave 'em, them's my choices. Jerusha, by the way, was used occassionally by 18th and 19th century ancestors of my husband. It's definitely unusual, but I've always loved it. I wanted to use it for my daughter's middle name, but my oneness vetoed it.
The Duggars and the Quiverful movement are to say the least, unusual, but not un-interesting.
Very religious, I think, which I am not. Overall I find their life style fascinating. It's very structured and controlling, but it appears they are rearing some decent kids...not an easy thing to do in this day and age. Whether you like them or not, you have to give them credit for that.
Their naming style is unusual and I can't say I love all their choices, but hey, that's what makes the world go 'round.

A little aside, last evening, our son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter were visiting for Father's Day. Granddaughter asked me if she could borrow a book, and went to retrieve it from my office. Guess what she wanted?...The Baby Name Wizard! At 14 she's already a name aficianado. I'm so proud!

By c. Elizabeth (not verified)
June 16, 2008 1:05 PM

I do consider LN, but I don't have to consider DH (at least for females) and he doesn't have to consider me (for males). We mostly cannot stand each other's name preferences. I've posted mine. DH runs to Jennifer, Mary, James, William, Andrea, and John.

By Joni (not verified)
June 16, 2008 1:14 PM

Only 18? I would go with all word names:

Girls:
Aspen
Birch
River (I used to think of this as a boys name - ala River Phoenix, but a character on the show Firefly changed that for me)
Autumn

Slate
Ash
Orion
...

By Amy3 (not verified)
June 16, 2008 1:17 PM

Maybe it's a good thing the Duggars chose J. While it's limiting in a way, it's also a letter that's got tons of naming options for boys and girls.

I knew a family that were Jim (dad), Jeanine (mom), Jenna, Jill, Jerry (kids). Now they also have grandkids (Jara, Jolene, Johnna, Jemma, and maybe Jessa). At one point there were also J-named dogs. Sheesh!

I could only come up with 15. Dh would likely not agree with most of these. And some of them I might actually have trouble using IRL, but since this is all hypothetical ...

Penelope

Laurence
Alistair
Geoffrey*
Leopold
Philip
Everett

I'd work Declan in somewhere as a mn, as it didn't really fit once I got started. Asteriks (sp?)denote family names.

Girls:
Josephine
Dorothea*
Vivian
Margaret*
Frances
Florence*
Estella
Millicent
Philomena*

And again, asteriks are family names. I actually had more girls names to put on there, but ran out! If I were making combos, it would be much more difficult. Oh, and none of the names are in any order.

By Carly (not verified)

Dean
Lucas
Grady
Dominic

By Lauren (not verified)
June 16, 2008 2:35 PM

Just a spontaneous name list, 9 boys and 9 girls.

Boys:
Flynn Ambrose Grey
Leon Emerson
Theodore Sullivan ("Theo")
Kipling Truman ("Kip")
Rowan Arthur
Simon Alexander
Ivan Marlowe
Cedric Warren
Edwin Hawthorne Graham

(Yeah, my naming style is a bit of a hodgepodge: literary, Russian, and surname-heavy. I like double middle names, but could only come up with two on the spot.)

Girls (without middle names, because girls names are much, much harder for me:
Harper
Violet
Matilda
Iris
Alice
Vivianne
Felicity
Virginia (Ginny)
(I'd have to fit Hazel, Sylvia, Ingrid, Cora, and Eloise in there somewhere as middle names)

So, we've been disparaging same-initial sibsets, but what if you *had* to give your children names beginning with a certain letter. Maybe your SO insists or its a family tradition. What do you do? Demand a divorce? Grin and hope the letter isn't X? If you had the momentous Duggar Eighteen and had to give them matching initials, what would you name them? Pick any letter.

It's quite a quandary. I'll have to think about this one.

By Erin (not verified)
June 16, 2008 2:46 PM

One of my good friends in high school was one of 5 siblings: Kelly, Kimberly, Katherine, Kristen, and Patrick. I always thought Patrick should have been Keith or Kevin or something. It drove me crazy. But I personally don't care for alliteration in sibling names, especially twin names.

By bill (not verified)
June 16, 2008 2:53 PM

a family from my burb had Sh4riah, Shil4h, and Sh4uston.

(4 = a to prevent googling)

By bill (not verified)
June 16, 2008 2:59 PM

also a lot of the time in high school the situation was like this for me: oh sh!t, is it jennifer or jessica? is it keith or kevin?

By Robin (not verified)
June 16, 2008 3:04 PM

Ok, here goes - very Russian/Jewish heavy, with a dash of Danish, Greek, and pretension thrown in. I took our surname into account (think Pudspovsky), but not my husband's taste (he thinks that an Oberon or Augustus is destined to get beat up, and he's not too on board with Tzipporah, either):

Aletheia Eve

Konstantin Gennady
Vadim Lev
Soren Nicholas
Dov Emmanuel

By Tessa (not verified)
June 16, 2008 3:11 PM

My older sister is Wendy. When my mother was pregnant with me, she told her parents that their new grandchild would be either Wanda, or Cindy, to match.

My grandmother became CONVINCED that her new granddaughter — me — was Wanda, and told her entire village, had baby towels specially embroidered with the name, etc., etc.

When my father picked her up from the airport and announced that mother, big sister Wendy, and new baby Tessa were all okay, instead of being happy that the new arrival was healthy, she was LIVID that my mother had joked about it and even more upset that there would be no matching.

She, a Helga, had named her children Heinz and Heidi, so I suppose nobody should have been surprised...

Matchy-matchy is apparently serious business to some people.

By Ellen (not verified)
June 16, 2008 3:25 PM

Finally made my list. Some are family names and some are just names I've always liked.

Girls:

Andrew
Matthew
James
David
Paul
Samuel

And just for the record, DH nixed virtually every one of the names on the girl's list. :(

By Sarah (not verified)

Jasper
Felix
Dexter
Owen
August
Monty

By Zoerhenne (not verified)
June 16, 2008 3:41 PM

Someone suggested naming A-Z. That would be more difficult than naming from one letter I think-there are just some letter sounds that are not pleasing to my ears in the beginning position. B, P, F, I, U, V, and Y come to mind and Q and X are tough no matter what. Here is my list though because this is too much fun compared to housework.
Alexis;Andrew
Xylia;Xavier
Yanette;Yuri
Zoe;Zachary
*Family names.

By Coll (not verified)
June 16, 2008 3:43 PM

c. Elizabeth-- how funny, my husband always says he needs to get me some fish so I can get out all the names I'm constantly proposing to him :)

Wendy-- Avonlea! I'm guessing you're an L.M. Montgomery fan. Always had a liking for Kilmeny.

Okay, taking husband's/future children's last name into consideration (it ends in -ick, so no Frederick, Patrick, or Benedict) but NOT taking husband's taste into account, the list is as follows:

Josephine Eliza
Eloise Rebecaa
Agnes Kinvarra
Georgianna Clare
Edith Kelly (family name)
Sylvia Maeve
Henrietta Rose
Cecilia Kate
Dorothea Elinor (Dot or Dottie)

Simon Isidore
Alastair William
Edward John
James Harrison (family name)
Charles
Reginald
Oliver
Nigel
Malachy

The boys' mns are hard! And I would have had George as a boy's name, but I went with Georgianna. Choosing Eloise also necessitated losing Louisa.

By Coll (not verified)
June 16, 2008 3:45 PM

Oh no! Sub out Oliver and add in Jasper in above list.

By TM (not verified)

Elijah
Christopher
Oliver
Leo
Gabriel

Alternates: Athena and Xavier

That didn't take me too long! I can't use three of the names due to my last name, but it wasn't too terribly hard to come up with 18 names. If I thought About it longer I could probably come up with a nice list. Fun!

By Trish (not verified)
June 16, 2008 4:03 PM

Oh my, that was difficult. I tried to come up with names I would *actually* give my children. All middles are family names (hard enough itself!), and Lucy is a family name also. My kids' names are included (*'ed), and had we had 1 more, the next name on each list was what we would have used (+).

1. Eric Steven*

6. Skyler Yvonne
7. Mikah Jean
8. Madigan Nicola
9. Cadence Rafaela

By SDJ (not verified)
June 16, 2008 4:19 PM

I think I posted this before but I know three sisters named Rocio, Rosana, and Rosina (nn's Cio, Sanie, and Nina). I made a polite comment to one of the sisters about it being "cute" and she said something about her parents lacking imagination.

There's no way I could come up with 18 names, even without taking daddy's opinions into consideration! We've got a son and are hoping for another child soon. I'm hoping for a daughter, primarily because I can't imagine there's another boy's name out there that we both like!

By c. Elizabeth (not verified)
June 16, 2008 4:23 PM

This is off topic, but after reading bill's post where he substituted 4s to prevent googling, I looked my girls names (I do this regularly anyway just to keep track, it's how I found out my SM thinks Ned's name is the most ridiculous ever). Anyway the 2000 Alberta Canada registered girls name list always pops up, so I finally went to look at it. That year there was one occurence of each of their MN spelled the same, one of Xe'Nedra's with the Ce' spelling (also used by the author), and 6 Gwynneths with 3 different spellings -- Gwyneth, Gwenyth, and Gwynnedde (which I almost used but my Welsh grandfather said not to burden her)

By Kate, mom of T, G, and ? (not verified)
June 16, 2008 4:24 PM

This is one of the reasons I love this blog -- where else would someone actually ask me to take the time to write down my 18 favorite names?!!! Certainly not in my house! Thankfully my husband is good enough to tolerate my name discussions ... I tried for 18 of each (since one wouldn't be able to count on having an even 9/9 split), and very nearly made it (in no particular order except for the asterisked):

Thomas Roblee*

Gemma
Natalia
Josepha
Philippa
Emilia

*My sons' names
**The names we've decided on for our baby due in three weeks (gender unknown)

I'm very impressed with those who have mns for each choice!

I'm also surprised at how many of my picks were in others' lists (like Susanna!). Though I wouldn't do the all-the-same-letter thing, I've often enjoyed coming up with lists of same-letter names that I like. There's something I find pleasing about seeing a grouping of names all with the same letter ... and I find doing so allows me to consider names I normally wouldn't, because they're too "out there" ... but when you're bound by one letter, you *have* to dig deep! Like, some favorite "S" names: Susanna, Soren, Scarlett, Sinead, Sasha or Shasta, Simon.

I noticed someone had Stephanie nn Stevie on their list -- that's my sister's name (she's 20), and it suits her perfectly.

Tessa: I loved your story -- too funny!

I agree with cc's assessment of the Duggars. My husband and I are also open to a large family, and I really enjoy seeing how great the Duggar kids seem to be.

I knew an all-C family: Caitlin, Cory, Cameron, Camilla, and Cara; there's also some celebrity family whose kids are (I think) Rocket(b), Rebel(b), Racer(b), and Rhiannon(g) (I admit -- I'm impressed with their creativity!).