Media Call: Are You Desperately Seeking Baby Name Advice?

Dec 22nd 2009

I’m working on a video project and need the help of a couple that can’t agree on a name! If you...

- Live in either the greater Boston or Philadelphia area

- Expect a child sometime between February and early April

- Are willing to allow a me (and a camera) into your home to film you as you discuss your naming dilemma

...please get in touch with me via the site contact form. Use "video project" as the subject line, and please include this background info in the message:

- Your email address

- Your names, ages, and due date

- Your existing children’s names and ages, if applicable

- Your city and state

- A summary of your naming disagreements

I'd love to hear from you as soon as possible; the deadline for consideration is January 15, 2010. And feel free to pass this request along to other expectant parents!

Thanks,

Laura

Comments

By Landenwich (not verified)
December 22, 2009 2:38 PM

I met all the criteria except location. I am in South Alabama. I'm due March 25th. I love the name Isla, husband is worried about pronounciation. He loves the name Emery, I'm worried it is too close to our first daughter's name: Elinor "Ellie". When we talk about other names, we don't like any as much as the names we already love. We will see what happens, someone will have to give in.

December 22, 2009 8:31 PM

Shucks, I'm in the Philly area, but not due until May 14th. Oh well. Our big problem is weighing the "whose side should she be named for?" debate.

December 22, 2009 9:17 PM

cabybake-I wonder if you would qualify if Laura doesn't find anyone else. That would be so cool, but alas I'm done with babymaking. And my dh was pretty easy-going in our discussions. It was just my indecisiveness that caused the commotion.

Landenwich-Welcome! Cool sn first off. Second, have you tried Nymbler? Putting in your favs plus your older dd's name your get these:
Willa; Charlotte
Adeline; Genevieve
Iona; Ava
Amelia; Audrey
Caroline; Aileen
Marjorie; Quinn
Ainsley; Erin
Iris; Brenna
Avery; Harper
Marilla; Megan
If you give us a bit more info, I'm sure there are many here in addition to me who could give you other options you may like. It's half the fun of this board! Oh and for the record, I do think Emery and Ellie are pretty close. I pronounce Isla like (Eye-la).

December 22, 2009 9:40 PM

Welcome, Landenwich!

Just to add to the confusion, I'll take the opposite position to zoerhenne. I think Isla (as Eye-la) is even closer in sound to Ellie than Emery is. Maybe it's a guy thing, but I hear the consonants more than the vowels.

We'd definitely like to hear more about both your and your husband's lists. Also, what are you trying to accomplish with the name--any special references, basic sounds, personal rules, that sort of thing.

Regarding the topic: my wife and I are in northern NJ, but we don't have any baby on the way yet--and we've already chosen our names. Ostensibly. Oh, well.

By CB, nli (not verified)
December 22, 2009 11:25 PM

Landenwich - I have to also say, I would probably find Isla and Ellie more confusing than Emery and Ellie. Emmie (likely nn) and Ellie are of course very similar in sound.

I find for myself and others I know, this is a common problem. The sounds that resonate with us do not change dramatically from baby to baby. So, the dilemma is posed: ignore what we like to give "sound distinction" to each baby, or embrace the sounds we love and have easily confused names?

Isla versus Emery...

Amberly
Ivy
Ione
Emmeline
Lyda

Or, just hash it out. Play with mn rights?

cabybake - I find that a pleasant explanation to the dissed side is, "Well, we liked this name just because it fit our style, but it's nice it's a family name, too" works real well. If there's not much intermingling, of course.

By Rjoy (not verified)
December 23, 2009 12:13 AM

Landenwich- I immediately thought the same thing when I read your name choices. Isla and Ellie are much closer in sounds than Elinor "Ellie" and Emery. Try the old trick of saying them together fast several times in a row. The pair with Emery is much less tricky.

By Kristin W. (not verified)
December 23, 2009 12:56 AM

My DH and I don't qualify because of location, but there's definitely drama with the girl name. I'm set on Ruby, but it's his aunt's name, and he's worried his mom will be furious if we name our baby after her sister-in-law instead of her. My argument is that I also have a great-aunt named Ruby, and my birthstone is ruby. So we could say we're not naming after one particular person but several factors. We're going to Chattanooga next week for a 3D/4D gender determination ultrasound, and we'll visit Ruby Falls while we're there. I told my DH that's just one more reason we can use for our choice!

That said, anyone have ideas of a name that's similar in style to Ruby? I tried to get on board with Roxie (short for Roxana), but neither of us is in love with it. I also like Matilda, but DH and everyone else in the family seems to hate it.

I've browsed Nymbler repeatedly but just can't find anything I like as well as Ruby. Really, Ruby is more popular than I'd like, but it just so exactly captures the vibe I'm after. Old-fashioned but in a more casual, spunky way than the frillier names like Olivia and Lily.

By CB, nli (not verified)
December 23, 2009 1:17 AM

Kristin W. - believe me, I understand the dilemma of "choosing" one family over the other. If a casual, "We love this name, and it's nice that it's part of my tree," doesn't cut it, then you might have to search.

Ruby... Similar old, but fresh, names...

Perla
Patience
Helen
Gilda
Thelma
Opal (haha, just stick to the basic)
Mabel
Vera
Ruth
Zelma

I don't know. I think Ruby is beautiful, and I don't see why you can't pass it off as a personal fav plus benefits (family ties). Just we like this name... isn't it sweet it's in the family tree?

By Guest (not verified)
December 23, 2009 1:47 AM

Kristin, the names that came to my mind first were Eliza, Hazel. I'd also give Roxana a second consideration (just because Roxana/Roxanne is one of my faves!)

But I also agree with CB, Ruby is a great name and it sounds like it's your favorite - I'd go for it.

December 23, 2009 2:00 AM

kristin w,

to me, zora is spunky/old-fashioned in the way that ruby is (name of my great-great-grandmother). also maybe zelda, though i know many people have objections to that.

(but i do agree with others that if you love ruby, you should use it.)

December 23, 2009 2:53 AM

Kristin W, I also think you should go with Ruby if it's the name you love most. You can always emphasize the fact that the name that has history on BOTH sides of the family, rather than being the namesake of one specific person. However, just for fun, here are some alternatives to Ruby:

Stella
Gemma
Sadie
Lucy
Adelaide
Amelia

Also, I love the earlier suggestions of Zora and Hazel.

December 23, 2009 8:34 AM

Kristin W.:

Would your husband's mother's name be a reasonable choice for a middle name? If it works, it should alleviate any tension.

December 23, 2009 11:11 AM

Kristin-I will also say that Ruby sounds just fine to me. I agree with the suggestions of Hazel, Stella, Ruth, and Lucy. However, I throw in Lucy and Ruth based on their sounds alone. Lucy has a much more contemporary feel to me than the others. I personally don't care for Hazel or Stella but thats just me. I still get the old-lady/waitress vibe from them.
Let me put these into the hat:
Louise
Jewel (go right to the source LOL)
Ivy
Violet
Sadie
Rosemary
Cora(l)
Molly
Penelope
Irene

By Casheroo (not verified)
December 23, 2009 1:51 PM

Just sent in my email.

We're in the Philadelphia area, and due February 20th...and cannot compromise on a name for our second boy at all!

By Jenny also (not verified)
December 23, 2009 2:53 PM

Kristin W.,

Does Rosie fit the bill? I love it and would probably use Rose and the official name in order to pass the "Supreme Court Judge" test. Rose is a very common mn these days, but not so much for the first name.

Also, how 'bout Sadie, Molly, or Maisy?

By Guest (not verified)
December 23, 2009 5:27 PM

We're also not agreeing on a name, baby girl is due on March 18th. My husband is set on Sienna, my favorite is Eliana. It's going to be one of those two, we've discarded the others.

Middle name options: Sienna Mackenzie (I do like the melody of how that sounds) or Eliana Sophie. In Germany, where I'm from, it's pronounced So-PHIE, emphasis on the 2nd syllable. I like Eliana So-PHIE, kind of like Eliana Marie, better than SO-phee. But sooo many names with 2 syllables have the emphasis on the 1st one.

Any thoughts?

By SP (not verified)
December 23, 2009 6:04 PM

If you like the old-fashioned nature of Olivia but don't think it has the same 'spunk' factor as Ruby - how about using Olivia with the nickname of Libby?

December 23, 2009 7:23 PM

Guest #16:

Most two-syllable names from English have the stress on the first syllable. However, names with a French source (like Marie) have the stress on the second syllable.

Examples:
Michelle
Clothilde
Annette
Renee
Yvonne
etc.

Once you get to three syllables, then English source names can often place the emphasis on the second syllable, like Mackenzie: Matilda, Michaela, etc.

Here's a possibility to combine Eliana and Sienna: Elena. It should work with however you choose your middle name: Elena Mackenzie, Elena Sophie.

By Kristin W. (not verified)
December 23, 2009 9:45 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions for my Ruby dilemma! We have also considered Rosemary, with the nickname Romy. Don't know why I'm so hung up on the R names! :)

By jaduley (not verified)
December 23, 2009 10:09 PM

More alternatives for Ruby: I don't think my last post went through so I'm sorry if I repeat...and I just saw your posting about liking R names

Rosalie
Millie, Milly
Iris
Maeve
Nina
Rae
Rosalyn (have a good friend goes by nn Rozie)
Robin
Rue
Rhea, Rae

December 23, 2009 10:41 PM

Kristin W., I really like Rosemary with the nickname Romy. It's gorgeous!

By Kristin W. (not verified)
December 24, 2009 2:09 AM

My mother-in-law's name is Annie, which is a name I love, but if we used her name for the middle name, the baby's initials would spell RAW ... not too cute! :)

Other names that are on the possibilities list (some from your suggestions): Ivy, Alice, Mabel, Lena. I hadn't thought of Zora before, but that one is pretty. I'll have to run that by my DH. He shoots down most names I suggest! I tried to talk him into Liesl (I'm a big Sound of Music fan), but he wasn't having it! :)

Rosemary was my favorite name a few years ago. My mom doesn't like it because of the Rosemary's Baby association, but I have pointed out that it's the baby that's the devil in that movie, not the lady named Rosemary!

By handbags shop (not verified)
December 25, 2009 9:53 AM

By AG v2.0 (not verified)
December 28, 2009 2:03 PM

Kristin W: What about Trudie? I think it's cute as a button and very similar to Ruby.

By Maggiej19 (not verified)
December 29, 2009 4:53 PM

We definitely have a naming dilemma. but don't fit the location criteria. we are looking to name our third girl due in March. Trying to keep simlar in style to our two girls names... Marin and Linden. My husband is stuck on Evelyn (which I had initially suggested, but I feel it is too "old" style-wise). The only names I really have on my list now are Bronwen and Reagan. But can't decide and can't get my husband off Evelyn!!

Anyone have any name suggestions??

BTW- I LOVE the name Ruby...go with it!

By Katelyn (not verified)
December 31, 2009 2:00 AM

I, too, fit the criteria except for the location. Unfortunately, I couldn't be further away from Boston, considering I'm in California. My husband and I are expecting a baby girl, and we both want the nickname "Em" or "Emmy", but can't agree on a full name. He wants Emlyn, I want Emmalyn (yes, that ONE syllable is screwing us up!) But then, Emerson is also a top contender for me.
Any comments or suggestions? The middle name would either be Joyce or Marie.

Maggiej19 -- I love the name Reagan, that would definitely be my choice out of your list.

By wecantdecide (not verified)
January 2, 2010 12:42 PM

We are having trouble coming up with a name for our 2nd boy, due the end of March. We live in Washington state, which doesnt make the location criteria either! Our first son is named Dixon, and our last name starts with A. I don't like nn's generally, and we dont want it to start with another D or an A like our last name. He likes Elias, but I know he would be called just Eli, and I want the whole name to be used...I really like Owen or Evan but they are too popular for DH. Ideas? Oh yes, our last name looks Spanish but its not, so as not to confuse the issue, no latinized names... (Marcus/os, Emilio etc)
Ideas?

By courtneycalifornia (not verified)
January 5, 2010 7:32 PM

We are out of the area too, but due Feb. 22nd and can't decide on a name for our first boy! My husband loves Jacob but it's just way too popular for me. I like Micah, and Luke, but he would want Lucas.

But, my favorite name of all time is Skyler (or Skylar) for a girl, and if we name our boy Luke and then have a girl named Skyler, would it sound to much like Luke Skywalker?? Or is it dumb of me to plan our son's name after the possibility of hopefully having a daughter someday?

Other boy names I like: Colby, Caleb, Dexter, and Finn. (husband doesn't really care for any of those!) And he likes the name Hank but it's just not for me. We are just all over the map - but need to decide soon!

By mynameisjulie (not verified)
January 9, 2010 2:49 PM

Skyler and Luke would be asking for trouble, I think. I thought of Luke Skywalker too. Like Lucy and Charles (Peanuts characters) or Dixon and Mason (north south line) they would be a joke.

Personally I think Caleb is a nice compromise: not that common, definitely male, biblical.

What about Marcus? Matthias?

Good luck!

By Christie (not verified)
January 10, 2010 6:20 AM

Maggiej19

I know I am bit late, but I think Everly might be a good compromise. Similar to Evelyn, but goes better with Linden and Marin.

Good luck!

By KFromm (not verified)
January 10, 2010 12:05 PM

I love your dds names. I have 3 boys and 1 girl named Parker. I am due in May with another little girl and two of my top names are Maren and Linden- I think they sound phenomenal together.

I agree with you Evelyn sounds a bit more old fashioned and also popular than your girls. Everly is a nice compromise. I like your choices of Reagan and Bronwen much better with your girls.

Here are some of the other names I am considering since I love both Marin and Linden as well;

Carys
Tierney
Talley
Ellery
Quinn
Dempsey

Good Luck!

By Guest (not verified)
January 11, 2010 1:48 PM

Due in March, but I live in Vermont! Hubby and I can't agree AT ALL on a boy's name. So far the only boy name he likes that I also like is "Teague." I also like Grayson, Grayer, Trygg, Rhys, and Rowan (none of which he will accept...) Any ideas from folks out there? Thanks!

By mynameisjulie (not verified)
January 12, 2010 12:47 PM

To guest in Vermont:

How about Tavin? or Tarquin?

Declan
Donovan
Eoin/Ian
Keagan
Keenan
Keiran
Liam
Quinn
Ronan
Teague
Tiernan

Then I put some of these names into nymbler and it suggests:

Finn
Finnian
Callum
Conan
Collin
Eamon
Ewan (You-inn)
Riordan

good luck!

By Guest (not verified)
January 13, 2010 11:38 AM

Thanks for these name options! I like the name Callum as well--but I say it "Call-um" and others say "Cal-um"; how do you pronounce it?

By mynameisjulie (not verified)
January 15, 2010 12:16 AM

I say Callum like "CAL-uhm" myself...the other seems like "column" to me. If you like the "call" sound there is Colin, which has the nn Cole which is a fun option.

By Cathie (not verified)
January 21, 2010 2:21 PM

LOL, Laura where were you with this request a year ago?! I'm in Boston and we just could not decide on our April baby's name...ended up going with a safe honor name (Jonathan) that neither of us was crazy about but didn't dislike either. Hope you found someone and can help them out with their decision!

By Zol Fox (not verified)
January 29, 2010 8:00 AM

A child born on March, 25th, 2010, ...and all of us know it is a projected day with the potential for fore or aft of that time... with that out of the way, it allows us to look at March as a point in time when a child "we" have brought towards taking its first breath, wow... we then attach a name for the best possible noble reasons, for any child to have its best go at a life, ...also a big WOW, ...there is a lot of information to what a good name sounds like, what they can accomplish if they give that child a moniker that stands out in some audible, visual, or any way to attract attention , and then it's up to those children to see within their environment a chance to "do" what they would like to do and have a good life... sounds simple and in a sense it is... all things being equal for any given environment to grow up in and all of know that it is not true - every influence is different around us for each person - , but it is a bench mark to start from. March brings to this child a rather open attitude towards life and those around itself, ...it, March, has a quality of mind that loves to bring, at its best, joy and happiness to those around them - oh, don't worry, everybody is bitchy sometimes and these people can be very strident at times when they are around people who don't want to have fun... or in other words they want to party and love everyone so "they'll all have a good time"... the artistic, and that means every form of creative expression, ( get that inspiration going for this child ), it means that the endeavour to produce something that will lift the spirits of the environment around them - comedians, singers, writers, sketch and illustrative abilities, cartoonists-because they want to poke fun with their pranks to have all around them laugh - when that happens everyone's eyes are open for the connection between each other for further communication about the "family of man" and the fun loving service to the public, ... March brings a desire to clean out the cookie jar or hit the sugars and this is to rev up the creative abilities to a high end - but we all know (from the word knowledge - meaning info and usable), that we will never burn off 100% of what we consume unless we also have huge energy outputs like skin-diving or tour de France type sports in our lives, ...these people may be more vulnerable to their bloodstream's getting plugged up with the residues of consumption and end up "sick" when all they really need is a good cleanout or a diet that balances off the the types of foods that were the problem, ... the dirty bloodstream brings an easier tendency for acne and other skin/blood conditions, so the name of the game for a March child is to have a name that creates a natural gravitation to self-respect and self-responsibility which allows for a good time but with a conscious mind so there is no real devastating circumstance setting itself up - and all of a sudden, ...this doesn't happen nearly as often with names for girls that have as a structure a set of vowels and consonants that allow the mind-set of the child to sort out in any environment what is fair and just and principled so as to avoid any of the negatives from having too much fun, that ends up being too expensive, ...with boys it really is the same but you've got the added factor of male primal hunter gatherer and reproducer of the species - not the bearer of the species but the agent who is out there (too often in this current 2000's era as a predator, and not knowing that is what they're actually doing - they just don't REALLY know), ...having set up, just a bit, the loving and really decent March people, there is a definite need for balance and if you want that, it is a double edged sword, ...you give a child a "balanced name" at birth regardless of family name lineage and then you spend the time with that child and watch them mature into a decent human being helping others around them, which mushrooms into others helping others, and then on as a continuum - a very noble act - or you give them a name and then they are on their own in reality -two vastly different people in life - the Landenwich name is close to a balanced name as is, but its expression, the laughing and having too good a time sometimes in life, is a good example of what I've been trying to show in the description of the March mindset, by words - or a form of using knowledge - the words we use for communication are an example of the intelligence incased within the names of ourselves and the people around us - our names are words and carry our potential intelligence, ...imagine Dean or Veronica - not the personality of the people you've met but a little person you bring up with a balanced name and you wonder often why they are a more content child, ... the two names are an example only of a world of names out there that is phenomenal - the name Isla with those letters to express that set of syllables or two sounds that make it up, as we see it in English, perhaps not in the language that produced that set of sounds we call Isla, ...but it produces a nature of highly strung emotional perceptions and an extremely selfish outward nature, with a huge desire to do their own thing regardless whether anybody is going to join them or not - easily dared into self destructive type of behaviour at an emotional level and a highly agitated inner dynamic that is always looking for "greener pastures", and in some cases like the influence of the playful March birthday, will make the fun loving a little too rambuncious and sometimes violent - the letters are the same as but not in the same order as a Lisa - do you know many people of that name with "happy" fulfilled lives, rarely, they are usually demanding strident and perfection driven with heavy overtones of upsetting authorities, or a huge helpful heart with agonizing emotional issues which allows them in the first place to be able to identify with the underdog and then go about helping the poor, beaten and disabled, and the attempt to correct the inequities in our societies, ...in a perfect society these would be the kind of people that would remind those of us when we stray from a principled style of life, where they know that our behaviour will get someone damaged or into a suffering position, ...it is not a perfect society and these people go through far too much agony in life, ...that said, if you like the sound of Isla perhaps adding a couple of letters could balance this up, for instance a name spelled Islaew, although at first is a little strange by what we are used to seeing, is in fact a balanced name like the Marnie or Verna or Dena names, ...once again these are only examples of what one group who's non profit approach is, "...give people a balanced name at birth and you give that child its birthright..."
I have no vested interest in any of these groups, but this knowledge I have been utilizing as a set of tools to size up the world around me, I would love every person to have the name that most easily gives them the vision and insight to who they are inside and what that means to them consciously when they are out in the world keeping all of this going that we call society,
I am Zol Fox, and I'm in Vancouver, Canada, on the West Coast and the knowledge in my case came from a group that does have a web presence, and they call themselves Kabalarians, or The Kabalarian Philosophy, on Oak Street in Vancouver proper - clean living, clean thinking and a desire to give to the rest of the world, for more balance when we do things in life, ...that is their premise, ...a good set of tools and a good life from it... Please remember these are opinions written to influence you into researching your child's future, and this is after 34 years plus of observation and correlating people's actions. ...the rest of the birthday real quick, the 25th is about the depth and philosophical and nature and quiet side of reflection and the romantic and deep shy natural but very aware of the things going on around them, ...a struggle to understand them but a very refined and sensitive nature, ...almost an opposite of the March description, but when together with the March thinking influence this day of birth is an incredible artist potential due to an understanding at a great level of life around them, as long as they stay open to others, ...the 2010 influence is back to a same/similar description as the March set of qualities, ...If this baby was born on this March 25th, 2010 date, the overall purpose shown by this baby's day of taking its first breath would be that of a life of artistic output with an extremely structured life style to accomplish a huge quantity of expression in endeavours of systematically building up of inspiration settings for man to receive the emotional and philosophical lifts to their spirits - a grand birthday to be lived in a balanced and harmonious life...
Look these people up, if even for their free small name analysis on any name you put in... it a set of tools for your use ! ! and good luck for all our sakes... thanks for listening, Zol
PS - Emery is fun loving but too much usually - Avery is similar but balanced and an example of a very powerful name... the month, day, and year are man made devices we tell our time by and the very structure of these devices give us the reason a birthday or name has a connection with the rest of the world... thanks.

August 11, 2010 11:52 PM

I like the post is a good work that it can offer more effective imformation for us!

November 17, 2013 12:47 PM

this is really nice thank you for your interesting nice bLog! its interesting.
custom writing services