The latest on the Age of Aidans

May 18th 2009

The more things change, the more they sound the same. Last year I checked in on the dominant sound of 21st-century boyhood, the names that rhyme with Aidan. At that time, the number of top-1000 boys' names rhyming with Aidan had risen to 40. That number held steady this year (though a few names changed: goodbye Adin and Haden, hello Aaden and Zaiden). The number of babies represented, though, continued to rise by a healthy 7%. It's fair to say that the Age of Aidans isn't over yet.

Looking more broadly, over a third of all boys continue to receive a name ending in -n, extending the extraordinary transformation of masculine naming.

For those keeping score at home, here's the current top-1000 rhyming roster. Note that it doesn't include girls' names, near rhymes like Payton, or Adan, which is also the Spanish form of Adam and often pronounced accordingly.

Aaden
Raiden
Zaiden
Zayden

Comments

By Coll
May 18, 2009 9:38 AM

Laura, do you know the number of baby boys that list represents? I'm curious to know how the new generation of -adens stacks up against the figures some threw around for Jennifers and Jessicas in the previous conversation. Are the -adens on track to meet the 700,000 level if they sustain their dominance over 20 years like those girls' names did?

From the previous post's discussion: I also love the name Sylvia/Sylvie--it's one of my favorites and on the extended list for the future child(ren). Sylvia Grace fits with today's trends without being overused, it's familiar, easily pronounceable and spellable, and has some great literary associations.

Fiona and Freya I like less, but still find appealing.

I heard of some questionable names in a family over the weekend. And older daughter named Goddess (how does that strike your fancy, Eo :) ?) and a younger daughter named...Heaven S3nt. Two names, first and middle. I like virtue naming as much as the next girl, but that struck me as terribly misguided. There was a son also, with a name I can't remember (Makai perhaps?). It was unusual, but did NOT make the kind of statement his sisters' names make.

May 18, 2009 9:56 AM

Wow, that is an amazing list. Also, glad to know about Adan; I would've assumed it was another spelling of Aidan.

May 18, 2009 10:45 AM

I have to agree with RobynT that that list has an amazing variety of spellings!

I'm currently reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane, and one of the main characters is an Irish cop, who goes by Danny, but whose given name is Aidan. The book is set in 1919, which made me wonder if that's why Aidan doesn't seem like an old name to me, perhaps because older Aidans were most definitely Irish, and probably went by nicknames like Danny to sound more mainstream in the U.S. The funny thing is that nowadays a Danny would probably stand out more than an Aidan!

and @Coll--Goddess??? What kind of nicknames could you come up with for that name?!

May 18, 2009 11:04 AM

I think part of the trouble with the Aidan names (if you see it as being trouble) is their unisex potential. I know of little girls names Jayden and Kadyn, and actress Hayden Panettiere is popularizing Hayden (which I think is one of the more masculine-sounding variants) for girls.

How many Aidan names show up on the girls' top 1000 list this year? And do you see that as a risk to the lifespan of the Aidan-names trend for boys going forward?

By Felicia (not verified)
May 18, 2009 12:09 PM

Speaking of goddesses, Uma Thurman is named for the Hindu goddess of power. That's a lot to live up to, I'd say!! :)

Stream of consciousness (read: not exactly related) note: I knew a girl with the nickname Tessa, which is lovely. Her given first name was Contessa. Perhaps her mother was hoping for royalty!

I also know a young woman here in Massachusetts called Freya. She is one of my sister-in-law's ballerinas. It is a very Teutonic name but I associate it with someone lithe and graceful.

By david8233 (not verified)
May 18, 2009 12:10 PM

Raiden?! Really? But that's a video game character. Anyone currently in their mid to late 20's who grew up playing video games would know that name from there. And the association isn't really positive.

By cileag (not verified)
May 18, 2009 12:15 PM

My name enthusiast sister-in-law (and engineer) created a wonderful spreadsheet where she combined same names/different spellings by the number of babies listed by the SSA and found that in fact, when you rerank in that fashion, Aidan and its variations (we combined these ones: Aaden, Adan, Aden, Aedan, Aidan,Aiden, Aidyn,Aydan, Ayden, Aydin) become number one, with a total number of boys with that name being 32,900. Jaydon and its variations are number 2, with 27,090. Jacob falls to third with only 23,552.

Girls ended up with Sophia/Sofia climbing to first with 21,783, Isabella etc 2nd, and Ava etc third. Emma, with its singular way of being spelled, drops to 18,587.

It's absolutely fascinating.

May 18, 2009 1:16 PM

Laura, are you going to do a post on the most popular sounds/endings for girls?

It's interesting to me that the most popular boys name (not combining spellings) is Jacob, is there any other -ob ending??

cileag- How interesting! You've got me thinking about Emma and I really don't know how else I'd spell it to get the right sound. That's kind of nice that there's only one spelling. I like that about Jennifer too, I did see a J3nniphur once, but I think she maybe the only one...

Ayaka- I actually see Hayden as one of the more feminine versions, maybe that's because I knew a girl in college with that name (a female Adin too actually, which I really liked at the time). The Braydon, Raidon ones seem like they really couldn't go feminine to me (which doesn't mean they aren't, I just don't like it).

Goddess and Heaven S3nt?? That is asking an awful lot from these girls!

By Aybee (not verified)
May 18, 2009 1:22 PM

Jenny L3igh-
I know its not exactly -ob ending, but Caleb is gaining popularity. At least where I am, Caleb and Jacob have similiar "ub" sounding endings. I know a few sibsets with these names.

I also recently met a man (40-ish) named Job. Had never before encountered that one in real life.

By CB
May 18, 2009 1:24 PM

Jenny L3igh - I've seen the -phur ending once, myself. I also knew a Gennifer. I guess these alternate spellings just lacked broad appeal.

The only feasible alternate spelling for Emma I could think of would be Emmah. I'll bet there a few out there. Imma anyone?

Also, probably many of the Adan's are alternate Aidan's. However, as it is another "real" name, there's no way to know how many go each way.

Heaven S3nt is better than Goddess, in my mind. But only slightly.

By Chelsea (not verified)
May 18, 2009 1:45 PM

"Dessa" or "Dessie" would make a decent nickname for Goddess. Though I agree it's quite the moniker to saddle on a child. Or an adult.

On a separate note, I've been thinking about how a third of boys receive a name ending in -n. Most of these seem to be of the -ayden variety. But do you think other (non-aiden) -n boys names will be too close for comfort with the -ayden crew and end up sounding like just another near-rhyme with Aiden? I'm thinking names like Simon, Jackson, and Jason.

By Jules (not verified)
May 18, 2009 1:56 PM

I am surprised the -ayden thing is still growing. I would have thought by now everyone was aware of how popular these names have become, and would steer clear. Maybe its first time parents who don't know many young children (that was my excuse with a now 3.5 year old Hayden). I did some research on my own, and found out that these -aiden names are also growing in most other English speaking countries, which is not what I would have expected.

May 18, 2009 1:59 PM

"The only feasible alternate spelling for Emma I could think of would be Emmah. I'll bet there a few out there."

I know of a kid called Ema, about 12 years old. She's Asian and possibly it's a name from her family's culture, but it's pronounced "Emma".

By C & C's Mom - and now B! (not verified)
May 18, 2009 2:49 PM

All the Aiden names have such an appealing sound. It's just a bit much when they are all taken together.

By Jessica L (not verified)
May 18, 2009 3:05 PM

My friend also compiled a list of name variants from the 2008 list. The closest thing to the Aiden phenomenon for the girls might be the Kaitlin/Kaylee/Kayla/Kylie/Kallie names. They are nowhere near the level of the Aiden's, but are high on the list when combined.

I was also astonished at how popular Carly and it's variations are (especially since Karl just left the list). Any ideas as to why this name is becoming popular again? The only thing I can think of is Carly from American Idol last year, but she didn't do so well from what I recall.

By Tau
May 18, 2009 3:06 PM

Laura, I just want to thank you for taking the time to post so much recently. You've been so prolific! It's such a pleasure to check back to this site and find a fun new entry.

By pyewacket (not verified)
May 18, 2009 4:42 PM

My husband has a few of these on this list of possible boy's names. Unfortunately, I really don't like any of them, not a single variant on the Aidan theme sounds good to me. We're at a standstill. He still thinks James is too dull and Maxwell will get the kid teased - because of Get Smart, which I keep telling him kids born in 2009 won't have heard of. He's okay with either name, but doesn't love them. (I love James as a classic, and Maxwell has sentimental meaning to me.) And we've ruled out dozens of other names off our respective lists as impossible for one reason or another. So we've put aside the boy's name question for a while and will not be touching it until after the ultrasound in about three weeks. At that point, I might be back here for advice!

By Guest (not verified)
May 18, 2009 5:04 PM

pyewacket, for what it's worth, I was born in 1980 and have no idea who Maxwell from Get Smart is.

By Eo (not verified)
May 18, 2009 5:16 PM

Coll-- Oh, those poor little children. One can only wish that their parents had had namer's remorse early on, before the children could discover what they'd been saddled with...

I was also going to mention "Gennifer", as in Gennifer Flowers, one of the first of Bill Clinton's indiscretions to come to light. She was the first I had ever encountered.

In a way, the "G" spelling makes a huge amount of sense, since the name Jennifer is from the Welsh "Gwenhwyfar", from which also came Guinevere. Wasn't Jennifer a Cornish version or variant?

It's interesting to think of the soft "G" and "J" being used interchangeably. I'd hate to see "Genevieve" morph into "Jennaveeve" or something, since that WOULD be counterintuitive, given the history of the name...

May 18, 2009 5:29 PM

pyewacket, i would agree that get smart will not be an issue by the time your son would be of school age. i don't even think it would be an issue for kids currently of school age. frankly, i had never heard of get smart or maxwell smart until the recent steve carell movie. i don't expect kids on the playground in 6 years will be familiar with it either. even if they are, it's difficult for me to imagine him being teased over it. it's not really a negative association, is it? i think both james and maxwell are excellent choices, by the way.

May 18, 2009 5:29 PM

"I would have thought by now everyone was aware of how popular these names have become, and would steer clear."

A lot of parents don't consider having a popular/trendy name to be a bad thing. I know people who have very unusual or ethnic names themselves, and give their kids very plain common names "so they'll fit in".

Also, I think, boys and men don't seem to mind having common names the same way we do. Being a name geek I often ask people if they like their names, and honestly, I don't recall any guy telling me he dislikes his name because it's too common or popular. Boys make fun of other boys with unusual names. And men never feel embarrassed if they go to a party and another man is wearing the same suit...

By knp (not verified)
May 18, 2009 5:49 PM

Ayaka- I agree that mostly boys don't mind having the same names as much, but my dh dislikes Michael (his name) because not only are there lots of them, but everyone also calls him Mike instead of Michael, regardless of his preference for Michael. He keeps hoping his name will go down in popularity (out of the top 10). I think he has stronger preferences towards unique names than I do.

Goddess names: (from last post a little) I actually think of Athena as a much more 'goddess name' than Gaia. (those are ones I would consider, but not Artemis, Hera probably) Can't quite fathom "Goddess" or "Heaven Sent" though. I immediately thought of Dessa though for a nn.

By Guest (not verified)
May 18, 2009 5:57 PM

Aydin is actually a turkish name for boys.

By Anna (not verified)
May 18, 2009 6:10 PM

Here is a link to spellings combined (by C.K. Evans):

May 18, 2009 6:20 PM

My husband is very happy with his name- Robert- but hates it if anyone calls him Bob- usually older guys he may come across through work. I can get away with calling him Rob, but he loves his name the way it is, doesn't care about popularity, and certainly is of the "let the child blend in" school of thought where names are concerned.

By slk34 (not verified)
May 18, 2009 6:27 PM

I actually like the name Aiden (with an "e" better than the "a" spelling) but I don't know anything about the etymology or history of it other than that it is an Irish name, isn't it? The only thing that I dislike is all of the "trendy-ness" that seems to surround it. I have a good friend who is planning on naming her son Aiden. I think she knows how popular it is but they genuinely really like the name. I have to say though that my jaw dropped when I saw just HOW MANY variations there are (especially on Jaiden). I think someone else pointed out in another thread something about how there were three or four twin combos on the SS list playing on different spellings of Jada/Jaden.

As for name commonality, I have four brothers, all with fairly common male names (only one of them, I think, is unlikely to have another with the same name in his class) and none of them have ever cared one whit about how trendy/popular/common/what-have-you their names were.

re: Maxwell-- I was born in 1977 and until the Steve Carell movie had no idea that Maxwell was a name associated with "Get Smart". I don't think that movie was popular enough to make a big enough impact on the cultural landscape for kids born now to care about it by the time they enter school in 7 years.

From the last thread-- @zoerhenne-- unusual family names: Wave and Wavelette (mother & daughter) and Elmer. I think those are the only ones I look at and would really not imagine someone today using.

May 18, 2009 6:52 PM

Sigh. I loved the traditional form of Aidan (or Aodhan), especially since it's evocative of my husband's name, Adam. But alas...just can't bring myself to wade into the sea of "-aden". (Pun!)

On a personal note, three weeks from our ultrasound, my husband has confided that the girl's name I love and which we have agreed upon for three years now bothers him. The issue, it seems, is that although it is a traditional Irish name (one of the less-used ones), it's pronunciation from an Anglophone perspective sounds like an English word. Not an offensive or negative word, in fact, one with a fairly positive meaning, in my mind. He worries it will be a source of teasing.

For me, the name has so many layers of personal meaning that I just can't fathom not using it. Especially based on such tenuous reasoning. But on the other hand, if my potential daughter's father cringes when he says her name, am I asking for trouble?

So...does sentimental meaning win out over the potential pitfalls of every day usage?

HELP!

P.S. The name is Aoibheann (almost pronounced "EE-vin" or "Even").

And no, I'm not concerned about the complicated spelling issue, as I know this has come up before in other posts.

May 18, 2009 6:55 PM

I bet the video game character Raiden is a good association for some people.

I think we have talked before (or maybe I read somewhere else) about names like Goddess and Heaven Sent, which might, on one hand, seem difficult to live up to, also representing a wish for the child or a desire to give them power or something to be proud of. Sort of like what Laura says about names being free. In some sense, Goddess seems a lot more special than Jane or Mary. (Not that those are the only other choices.)

re: Carly: i think it just continues to fit the trend of the -y names.

re: Turkish name Aydin: found couple sources online that say it's pronounced I-den.

By Tau
May 18, 2009 7:27 PM

PunkPrincessPhd: although Aoibheann sounds like "even", it also sounds like a name! Consider Evan, Eva, Yvonne... she'll fit right in.

If the name itself bothers him, that's fine - but if he's only worried about teasing, I don't think it would be a big problem. No more so than most names, I would guess.

By NinaS. (not verified)
May 18, 2009 7:37 PM

C+C's Mom-and now B.

I didn't hear that had another little one since I haven't been on in awhile. What is your new babies name?

Thank-you Laura for information on the name Adan. See, I know a little boy who's name is spelt that way, but does pronounce it like Aiden. That's a very interesting fact. Once again thanks!

May 18, 2009 8:13 PM

PunkPrincessPhd:

Having taught adult ESL and listened to endless complaints about how English spelling doesn't match the pronunciation... now I wish I'd referred them all to Beginners Gaelic ;)

Seriously though, if the somewhat intimidating spelling of Aoibheann isn't an issue, I don't see why the pronunciation would be. I think it's pretty, like Eve with the very fashionable N ending.

By slk34 (not verified)
May 18, 2009 8:31 PM

PunkPrincessPhd--honestly, once you know how to pronounce Aoibheann I don't think it's that hard to keep straight. Especially with increased general familiarity with Siobhan which uses some of the same sounds and spellings. People have dealt with spelling their name for years.

I think the only thing I'd worry about is whether your last name is similarly hard to spell, in which case it could get tedious to always have to spell them both out. I have a complicated last name but an easy first name so spelling out my last name is no big; if they were both complicated it'd be more of a drag.

May 18, 2009 8:32 PM

PunkPrincessPhd-Aoibheann is very pretty though not being that familiar with Irish names it would take me a few times to remember the pronunciation if it were my student/neighbor/etc. I saw an Eveanne in my local announcements that now makes it seem like they were trying to be phonetic of your Irish name. I like yours better!

Speaking of local names, I said I would post some of the stranger ones:
Wyzd0m (mom's name is Ayz@h)
Dionisios (slk34 here is another one for you as the "real" sp is Dionysius I believe)
Devlin (all I hear is Devil in this one)
Kaibryia (pron anyone?? Ky-bree-ah maybe)
Brianah + Lilah (twins-not strange but awfully matchy for me)
Logan (for a girl-sorry no!)
Litzy (rhymes too much with Ditzy)
Margarita (nope not Tequila or Daquiri either)
Presley (like Elvis?)

By C & C's Mom - and now B! (not verified)
May 18, 2009 8:44 PM

Nina S. - the new little is approaching 10 months (he has certainly slowed down my postings!)

At any rate, his first name is Beckett (a name we just liked) and his middle name is Rhodes (my grandfather's middle name).

I just saw that Conan O'Brien just named a son Beckett - maybe I am trendier than I thought:) Much like some parents with Aiden names I'm sure.

By C & C's Mom - and now B! (not verified)
May 18, 2009 8:48 PM

zoerhenne - Margarita is a real girls' name in Spanish (think Margaret). The drink was allegedly created and named after a real woman named Margarita.

A note on Jaiden - I just went to a birthday party for 4 yr old twins named Jada and Jaiden. I won't put their last name, but it is the same as a famous basketball player named Michael ___. Trying saying those names together quickly!

May 18, 2009 8:53 PM

Going back to Laura's OP-(I split it up so the post wouldn't be too long): There are quite a few Ayden variants on my local (PA) lists too.
Boys-
Aidan=4
Aiden=2
Aydan=1
Ayden=3
Braedan=1
Brayden=3
Braydon=2
Caden=1
Hayden=2
Jayden=1
Kayden=1
So that is a total of 21 out of 290 boys born this year so far which yields 7.24%.

For girls, there is a trend towards -anna here:
Adriana=1
My'annah=1
Nayana=1
Savanna=1
Sy'anna=1
Vianna=1
Yana=1
That is then 33 out of 325 for girls or 10.15%. Interesting stats!

Btw for girls I found:
Hayden=1
Jaidyn=1
Jayden=1
Kaydence=1 (which may be nice for girls to go to instead of the -n ending)
and Emma=9 currently!

May 18, 2009 8:57 PM

C+C+B mom-Yes, thank you I stand corrected on that one. I probably already knew that but in my haste just saw the word. Thanks again.

By slk34 (not verified)
May 18, 2009 9:06 PM

@zoerhenne and others-- where do you look to get your local baby name listings? I've taken a look at hospital websites (especially when due with my first) but noticed after awhile that those lists are often inaccurate and have typos.

By ajaz
May 18, 2009 9:10 PM

Jessica L: Carly may have become more popular because of a popular TV show on Nickelodeon, iCarly, about a teenage girl with a popular webshow. That's the only thing I can think of.

May 18, 2009 9:11 PM

@PunkPrincessPhD, I wouldn't worry about Aoibheann sounding like a word in English, esp since it's a pretty innocuous one. I can't see that as a huge source of teasing, and even if it is, I suspect it would be very short-lived. I agree that a name sounding like "even" would fit right in with other names that are currently in use. I hope your husband comes around.

@C & C's Mom - and now B!, those twins' names really are tongue twisters!

From the previous discussion ...

Re: Rhys Ulysses, I really like this. What actually draws me to it is the repetitive /y/.

Re: Fiona, Freya, or Sylvia, I think I slightly prefer Fiona or Sylvia. That said, I think Freya is quite pretty, and I'm a fan of Scandinavian names. Regarding the spelling, I asked my 7-yr-old how she thought it would be spelled and she was dead-on. Maybe it's not that hard!

By Guest (not verified)
May 18, 2009 9:38 PM

Interesting observations on girl naming trends.

Jessica, The Kaylee/Kylie,etc. names are quite a mouthful when you say them together. Do those names total to the Jessica/Jennifer numbers of any year in the 80's?

zoerhenne, The 'ana/anna girl names somehow sound less obvious than the 'Aiden names. Maybe because the prefixes are so different.

By slk34 (not verified)
May 18, 2009 9:48 PM

That's quite the -anna list there. One name that doesn't seem to fit is Elaina-- it seems more like Elaine-a, unlike Eliana, which I would pronounce Eh-lee-ahna.

May 18, 2009 10:09 PM

What do you gals think about the "aiden" names for girls? My sister's hell-bent on naming her daughter a variation of Aiden, so I'm curious (not like she'd take my advice anyway, though :-P )

Re: outrageous names - some folks in my old neighborhood called their daughter Hero - which I thought was kind of clever - but then called their son Poet, which did my head in. I'm usually far from a judgmental person, but wow.

By Chimu (not verified)
May 18, 2009 10:37 PM

pyewacket - I am quite familiar with Maxwell from get smart, as I watched re-runs of the show alot as a kid. However, it's not a bad association and I know of so many kids with Max type names that Maxwell is not a big deal. Maxwell is not that uncommon these days.

punkprincessphd - I like Aoibheann and don't think that it will cause any teasing issues. The spelling is a bit hard but pronunciation quite straight forward if you have heard it once. My opinion (and experience) is that kids will always find something to tease about, so other than really obvious name issues (some of which we have discussed before) you shouldn't worry if you like the name. Besides there are heaps of little Eves, Evies and Evas around. Also Milla Jokovic named her baby Ever, and I've seen some other little Evers in birth announcements.

Back on topic - I am so over all -ayden names but I think they will be around for awhile to come. Interestingly virtually all of the boy names I like don't end in 'n'. The girl names I like seem to be a split between the popular 'a' ending (usually 'ia' I am fond of) and other varied endings.

By Guest (not verified)
May 18, 2009 10:40 PM

A few names to share from recent encounters:

A set of twins named Fr@ncesca Jubi1ee and Gr@ce Anna. I don't know the parents well enough to ask, but style-wise it seems like one parent named one child and one named the other. Both are nice names, but don't seem to fit together - especially the middle names!

Then, a brother and a sister named Zion and N@turelle Gabrielle. I asked my husband for clarification on that second one because I couldn't believe I'd heard correctly.

May 18, 2009 10:52 PM

I had a reunion of my birth class last week and thought I would report the names along with some from my baby and me exercise class. All are under 4 months.

Tamsin (mine)
Maximus
Charlotte
Tyson
Benjamin
Reeva
Nina
Anthony
Sadie
Ella
Devlyn (male- that makes 2 zoerhenne)
Jamison
Aiden (sp?)
Elliott (male)
Jett
Evelyn (3!)
Emily
Hudson
Theodore

It was interesting to me that we only had one Aiden, no Emmas, but 3 Evelyns (and Devlyn is pretty close).

May 18, 2009 11:03 PM

re: Litzy: Guess what? Another telenovela name. lol. Google it. I wondered this because I had a Latina student named Itzel.

re: Devlin: I've actually heard this a couple times. A young family member (elem school age) and the brother of a colleague of mine (~20s). I think one might be as a family name.

slk34: i get local listings from my newspaper. not sure why some print them (online) and others don't though.

May 19, 2009 12:05 AM

"What do you gals think about the "aiden" names for girls? My sister's hell-bent on naming her daughter a variation of Aiden, so I'm curious"

A lot of the Aidan names seem to be used for girls in various spellings. I suspect that in 10 or 15 years they'll be predominantly used for girls... and before long, there will be a generation of unhappy middle-aged men with girly-sounding names.

So... why not use these names for a girl? She'll be ahead of the curve, and in any case, a boyish-sounding name on a girl has never been as hard on a kid as a girlish name on a boy. I wouldn't like to see the fine traditional Irish Aidan switch genders, but the creative spellings and variations are probably fair game...

May 19, 2009 12:06 AM

All this talk of Devlin made me have to go look it up, which admittedly I should have done with a few of the names BEFORE I posted them as unusual. I guess they were only unusual to me. Babynamesworld.com lists the following:
Transferred use of an Irish surname. Devlin is the Anglicized form of Ó Doibhilin, meaning "descendant of Doibhilin." Doibhilin might be from 'dobhail' meaning "unlucky."
So we have knocked off all but 3 on the original list-Wyzdom;Kaibryia;Presley.
Googling brings up no info on Wisdom (used traditional sp) as a given name although many names MEAN wisdom. Kaibryia gave no info and asked if I meant Kibriya which means grandeur/glory so this may also be a misspell. Presley apparently means "priest clearing" and has been in use occasionally. Boys had rankings from 1881-1903 and girls from 1998-present. So I am removing my NE badge until further notice LOL.

slk34 and others: You can find baby info for your state by going to our365.com
Go up top to "WebNursery" and it will bring up a page asking for your state and such. I didn't check all the states but this is where I go for my local info. Yes there are mistakes. Sometimes I am able to spot them enough to adjust for them. Other times it may skew the data slighty but its still fun to look at the names in general. I made a spreadsheet to track the data from month to month and to total it at the end of each month to keep a tally on the year. That's where I got my numbers in the above post.

May 19, 2009 12:12 AM

One last comment before bed:
Ayaka you said "Many of the boy's names on Laura's list above look so feminine too, especially with the -yn ending. Jaidyn? Kadyn? I have trouble seeing these as very masculine when girls are being named Addison, Payton and Kennedy."

I agree. There are many names from the past that have in my eyes completely switched and are probably giving some men some big headaches-Shannon, Stacy, and Leslie/Lesley particularly come to mind. Also, there is a family in my dd's preschool with sibs Addison and Jessa. My first thought was I misheard Jesse and it was boy/girl respectively, but no it is vice versa. Addison is the boy. I suspect he will not be happy in a few years.