Update on the update -- still hit-or-miss on receiving revised edition

Jul 14th 2009

I'm now hearing that Amazon has not been shipping the revised edition of The Baby Name Wizard as consistently as I'd been promised. I am so, so sorry. I guess we'll just have to wait a week or two for the distribution chain to work itself out. (Remember, if the book in your hands has a 4th red-pink circle on the front and a tiny NameVoyager image on the back, it's the revised edition.)

If you have an naming emergency -- like the woman I talked to yesterday who was 24 hours from a scheduled c-section -- a guaranteed-revised ebook is available here.

Thanks,

Laura

Comments

By Annee (not verified)
July 14, 2009 12:10 PM

I love it -- a naming emergency! Anyway, just kidding -- I totally sympathize with the woman "on the verge," as it were. And I just shipped back my wrong copy yesterday to Amazon. Customer service told me that the only way to get the new version at this time is to get the kindle version. Hoping that will change soon. Thanks Laura!

By Crystal (not verified)
July 14, 2009 12:35 PM

Annee,
Regarding the BNW REVISED EDITION;
I posted previously, but real revised book versions are available, just not from Amazon currently (and honestly I wouldn't order it from an online retailer, there is no way to tell what you are getting). I bought a copy, in person, at Barnes & Noble; it was the only place in my town that had it. For others craving a copy, try your local guy because the book it is out there, sitting on shelves as we speak... er, I mean type.

By jenmn (not verified)
July 14, 2009 12:45 PM

The Barnes and Noble stores in my area have all been out of stock of the book for a week or more. Just this morning two of them showed stock of the book. One store I visited just got in four copies of the old edition. The other store got in one copy of the book, but someone else has a hold on it and they couldn't tell me what the cover looked like. I was really hoping that because the stores were out of stock, that they had been smart about it and were only going to have the new books.

I checked my local Borders last week and they only had old copies as well. Guess I'll start checking them again!

By GirlRandolph (not logged in) (not verified)
July 14, 2009 1:42 PM

I'm guessing you're right. And I do see that names seem to hit big locally, but I imagine parents are trying to do the opposite. Though some parents will always have their heads in the sand. If I hear one more parent say they've named their son Aiden because they wanted something "unusual" or "different", I'm gonna burst and actually tell them the truth!

I have a naming dilema and you might hear it pop up again in a few months.

I'm looking for a middle name for a boy that starts with M. Yiddish and Hebrew names are very welcome.

I've already considered Michael and Matthew and ruled them out. I'm not wild about Micah/Micha. I like Martin well enough, but DH is not wild about.

Is Marion off the table for a boy these days? Ironically, my husband seems to really like it. I like it in the abstract. But I'm wondering if it is cruel.

By Kristen R. (not verified)
July 14, 2009 2:34 PM

By jenmn (not verified)
July 14, 2009 3:55 PM

"Did even one single person get a revised edition from Amazon.com? All I saw in the comments section were people who didn't."

Not here. My second shipped book just arrived and it is the old edition.

Currently calling around to local stores to see if they have any as I got tired of dragging my daughter out to check! :)

By Crystal (not verified)
July 14, 2009 4:07 PM

I didn't either. I began calling bookstores after my BNW1 arrived from Amazon...

By Tess not signed in (not verified)
July 14, 2009 4:15 PM

I ordered the new edition from Brookline Booksmith in MA. It came in today. They have more copies available. Telephone 617.7349125. Website-brooklinebooksmith.com. Daniel was my delightful salesperson.

By jenmn (not verified)
July 14, 2009 6:41 PM

I just found a new edition at one of my local Borders stores. They had a mix of old and new editions. When I called, they were more than happy to go and check the shelves for the copy with the elusive red/pink dot. :)

July 14, 2009 7:42 PM

I also found a mix of old and new editions on the shelves today at my local Barnes & Noble.

By taylorj (not verified)
July 15, 2009 1:14 AM

My Barnes and Noble had 5 copies of the new edition on the shelf today.

By Guest (not verified)
July 15, 2009 1:59 AM

I picked one up today at my local Barnes and Noble. My only concern for Laura and her book sales (which she deserves much success), is that people who have the first book are not going to read the REVISED in the pink circle, or even notice the difference of their BEING a pink circle and pass by this book....thinking they already have it.

July 15, 2009 10:49 AM

It appears that Barnes and Noble bookstores may be the best place to get the revised edition of BNW. I called one of the two B&Ns in my vicinity yesterday morning. The clerk was very helpful and went to check out the 4 copies her computer said they had. They were the new edition, and she had 2 copies held for me, which I picked up in the afternoon. I enjoyed thumbing through one of them last evening. Nice work, Laura!

I also had a very cooperative response to my call to Amazon regarding the original BNW which I ordered on the 8th, as did many others on this blog. I was able to put that book in the mail back to Amazon at their cost.

I'm happy to hear the reports of others getting a copy of the book, and I hope all who have been eagerly awaiting its publication will find a copy very, very soon.

By Mello (not verified)
July 15, 2009 11:48 AM

I also was able to find the revised edition and Barnes and Noble. Neither version was on the shelf, so I had to ask at the info desk. The woman was very nice and check in the back warehouse for me. She was able to find the revised edition. So it may be that a lot of bookstores have them in, but haven't put them out on the shelves.

I'm going to try and see if Amazon will cover the cost of returning the old edition they sent me. I hope so!

By Uptown Girl (not verified)
July 15, 2009 11:53 AM

Yes I would love to know if I can return one. I ordered one, and it's not here yet, but I would love to be able to return it if it's not the revised one.

By Annee (not verified)

Also, what about -- >

Marlon
Merritt
Marshall
Merlin

Good luck!

P.S. I'm from D.C. -- I wouldn't use Marion!

July 15, 2009 11:55 AM

Yay! My local B&N came through for me! They had the revised edition prominently displayed on the shelf. Can't wait to get started.

July 15, 2009 1:03 PM

I've read several posts here and on another name blog about returning the original edition to Amazon at their expense. I called Amazon yesterday, got a very helpful male employee, explained that the author of the book had stated on her blog on the 8th that she had been told by her publisher Broadway Books that they had contacted Amazon and that beginning that day Amazon would only send out the revised edition to those who order The Baby Name Wizard. I also explained that on that day, and for several days before and after, Amazon was showing the cover of the revised edition on their website. The customer service rep emailed me a label for return postage paid by Amazon. The number I called was 1-866-216-1072. I hope this helps those who still have books to return to Amazon.

By Mello (not verified)
July 15, 2009 1:05 PM

Thank you for posting that number, Patricia. I will give Amazon a call today.

By Tess not signed in (not verified)
July 15, 2009 2:51 PM

I will post on the current blog--but wanted to say that my customer service rep from Amazon just called me to say that the current edition will be sent out from now on. The old ones have been cleared out.I am amazed that she called and hope that it has happened.

July 15, 2009 6:13 PM

Laura, I wanted to pass on my congratulations on a wonderful 2nd edition. I looked up every instance of my daughter Astrid's name and in almost every case I could instantly pick the "other" name where Astrid was listed as a possible "sister" name because those were also names I truly like. Well done!

By AJ (not verified)
July 15, 2009 9:18 PM

"The customer service rep emailed me a label for return postage paid by Amazon. The number I called was 1-866-216-1072. I hope this helps those who still have books to return to Amazon."

Thank you so much! My OLD copy just arrrived today, so I now I need to go through this process. Boo! ;-P

By NatalieHastings (not verified)
July 15, 2009 9:48 PM

This is really funny, especially when you consider how top names seem to be similar even in different countries.

By Sarah in Indiana (not verified)
July 15, 2009 10:32 PM

Ack! I just looked at your previous post about the new edition where you say that the publisher issued it with the same ISBN. What a nightmare! As a library cataloger, I can tell you that we hate when publishers pull stupid stuff like that. Look at the problems that it creates! New editions call for new ISBNs.

July 15, 2009 11:18 PM

Just wanted to say I also picked up the new edition today at a Barnes & Noble location (in Austin, TX). It was on a table of "new nonfiction" near the front of the store.

July 16, 2009 12:15 PM

Hi--
Sorry this is super irrelevant, but it's kind of a naming emergency. I looooove Stella, but my husband doesn't. I lost my mother when I was 11 and her name was Mary, so we were thinking Molly to honor her. But looking up online I saw that Stella is becoming super popular and so is Molly. Should I just go with Mary? It seems SO COMMON though!! Thanks all.

By Kit Kat (not verified)
July 21, 2009 2:28 PM

Anyone got the ISBN # for this book?

By Kit Kat (not verified)
July 21, 2009 9:28 PM

I ended up getting a copy at B Daltons. Amazon's help center couldn't even see that there WAS an update, much less promise to send me one.

By Nicoley-o (not verified)
July 22, 2009 4:50 PM

It appears that the new "BNW" is still not available in actual book form from Amazon (and I'm not interested in shelling out the extra $200 for Kindle, thank you very much.)

This is all so very frustrating - I can't believe it is this hard to get a book in 2009. Given this economy, doesn't the publisher wish to turn a profit?! I feel bad for Laura.

End rant. I don't live anywhere near a bookstore and must rely solely on the internet to obtain this book. Suggestions welcome.

By Cameron (not verified)
July 23, 2009 8:48 PM

yeah, you really should have gotten a new ISBN number. Then I could order it. As it is, I tried on July 7th, but can't get a guarantee of the right book going out, because it's indistinguishable according to book language. Bummer. Next time I guess.

By BubamaraMama (not verified)
August 7, 2009 12:56 AM

Please do name the baby Mary after your mother, Previous Poster whose name I forgot already!
I have two little boys, and they have classic names that NO ONE ELSE IS USING! We see a lot of kids at storytime, the park, playdates, etc. AND
I don't know a SINGLE little girl named Mary, have not heard anyone called that on the playground, and not any older kids or young women either. It's a name that was common in the past, but hasn't been common for two generations. I'm in my 30's and can only think of ONE Mary in my generation I've ever met!
It's a lovely, simple, feminine name. GL with your name search!
(I live in coastal South Carolina, and my boys are James and Mark, FWIW.)
HTH!
Holly

By BubamaraMama (not verified)
August 7, 2009 1:00 AM

My comment was for Natalina, sorry about not using your name! My computer doesn't like this site, and scrolling takes ages for some reason.
But really, please reconsider naming the baby Mary. A great classic name, and after your mother. How sweet. :)!
It's not popular or common at all these days.

By Tom (not verified)
November 11, 2009 10:10 AM

USB Paper Shredder | Bachelorette Gift Ideas | Britney Spears Halloween Costume

By handbags shop (not verified)
December 25, 2009 10:08 AM

August 12, 2010 5:26 AM

The panic. Don't look down until the mind reading this article I suddenly gives.

By dsquared2 (not verified)
May 11, 2011 4:24 AM

Men and women strategy a different leisure life, producing dsquared2 jeans shoes are considered to be the most used style to follow by modern day people, inside a busy city, two comfortable and stylish Dsquared 2 guys sneakers so that you can in the relaxed and content planet, it releases the machine is installed away from informal style, distinct feeling enables you to be free, all-natural, self. The effect of financial crisis, basic and practical style, and new recommendations for choosing a gift. Dsquared two females sneakers that has a comfortable design notion head into the peoples vision, after that, the pace of the world slowly became relaxed.
Dsquared2