American Girl Redux

Jan 21st 2010

In August, I wrote about the names of the American Girl doll series with a focus on their latest historical character, Rebecca Rubin. Her name, I concluded, was a reasonable choice but not really representative of the early-20th Century period. I suggested Sadie as an alternative that would "hit the quadruple-bullseye of Jewish heritage, period feel, informal style and modern appeal."

Fast forward to this week. My eight-year-old daughter just read Meet Rebecca, the doll's accompanying storybook. She eagerly related the highlights, including Rebecca's struggles with her annoying older sisters Sophie and...Sadie.

I tip my cap. You can't put anything over on those American Girl folks. In fact, the book's gallery of Rebecca's family and friends reads like a sibling set from the Baby Name Wizard book. Sophie, Sadie, Leo, Benny and Max sit right at the fashionable intersection of "Antique Charm" and "Guys and Dolls."

For girls, further options abound -- Lillie, Ruby, Lena, Lucy, Ella, Molly, Nell, and on and on. For boys, though, it's slimmer pickings. If you're looking for a dark horse candidate, there's just one more name in the Rebecca gallery: Victor. In America today, Victor is usually heard as a Spanish name. Back in fictional Rebecca Rubin's time, though, it sounded more like Sophie, a multi-ethnic classic with Mitteleuropa gravitas but a twinkle in its eye.

Comments

January 23, 2010 12:19 PM

daisy_kay,
you can really see sense and sensibility coming out in your name choices. :] (and i mean that in a good way!)

By daisy_kay (not verified)
January 23, 2010 12:53 PM

I forgot to add Gwendolen, but I find that, though I love that name, it doesn't fit in with my other names style-wise. I just think it has a really pretty sound to it.

By Bue (not verified)
January 23, 2010 2:23 PM

LaurieA-B -Yes! The All-of-a-Kind girls were my favourites. She named the girls after herself (her real name was Sarah) and her real-life sisters so they are definitely an authentic sibset. And the little brother in the book was Charlie (though I think his given name was Chaim).

Melissa Love, definitely Lila and Charlotte. They're lovely together, and for me, Lila and Ava are a bit matchy in sound.

By knp (not verified)
January 23, 2010 3:17 PM

Melissa Love: So, my favorite two of your names are actually Ava Madeline (love the rhythm) and Charlotte Olivia.
But, for the choices you gave, Actually I love Charlotte with Lila. The 'l' sound bring them together, but not 'matchy'. I love Ava and Lila separately, but not as a sibset.

January 23, 2010 4:54 PM

I would go with Lila and Charlotte.

Names from swim lessons:
Duncan
Anders
Anwyn
Ainsley
Diego
Sam
Ella

I'll pay more attention next week. I didn't want to be too obvious with a pen and paper! People would have thought I was a freak; I was staring at the board for a long time as it was. :),

By another Laura (not verified)
January 23, 2010 5:33 PM

Okay so since I've found this blog a couple weeks back I've been thinking constantly about sibsets and I'm thinking I messed mine up. My oldest three have one syllables first names: P@ul, Cl@re, and M@rk. My girl name for M@rk was Grace, but I met a slew of baby Graces after he was born so that by then time our next girl was born I wasn't as keen on the name. We named her K@th@rine Rose and call her K@tie mostly. While I still like her name I've wished that we had given her a one syllable name and kept our pattern. We'll most likely have a few more babies. I guess my question now is should I try to use multisyllabic names to balance it out or does it not really matter to anyone but me. If K@th@rine had been a boy she would have been Jude.

By Mirnada (not verified)
January 23, 2010 5:56 PM

Daisy Kay:

I prefer Louisa to Mabel, personally. I can definitely picture Mabel on a little girl, and it seems incredibly sweet. I can't picture a Mabel adult, for some reason. My only problem with Louisa is that it can often be shortened to the nickname "Wheezy". Just a thought...

Becky:

I think Zipporah/Tzipporah is beautiful, but I have to say I really LOVE the name Tovah. I mentioned it to my husband and he dismissed it immediately. Oh well. It sounds so strong to me.

By daisy_kay (not verified)
January 23, 2010 6:27 PM

Another Laura, I think about this kind of thing a lot, too. And really, I think it's probably something that only we baby name addicts think about. I don't think your average person is going to look at your children's names and think, "Hmm, Katherine sounds off next to her 1-syllable siblings." It probably doesn't even cross their minds. That being said, I know that if it were me I probably would name my next child a multisyllabic name in order to even things out b/c it would bug me, even if it were my opinion alone, to think that there was a lack of balance.

January 23, 2010 8:08 PM

another Laura-First thing, I don't think it really matters a whole lot. But since it is bugging you take note of this:
Paul and Mark-one syllable names with no clear nn (and biblical)
Clare and Katherine-beautiful classic girly names (that have no desire to be boyish) AND both start with a C/K sound

So maybe the next few need to have a new pattern so that none of them have a true pattern all together-does that make sense? Oh well, just trying to help. If it doesn't then never mind.

By another Laura (not verified)
January 23, 2010 8:25 PM

zoerhenne- I've noted the C/K sound and considered following that pattern, dh and I both like Corinne but our last name ends in -n so I've hesitated there. Also, and more importantly, what if we have 3 more girls than I'll feel really like I need to stick with the C/K sound regardless of whether I like the name.

I guess what I'm trying to decide is if the next ones a boy should I not use Jude (as we've planned) b/c it leaves Katharine as the only multisyllabic name. Although more trendy than my other boys names it fits with the New Testament types (John which fits better is already used by a nephew on dh's side)

By Beth the original (not verified)
January 23, 2010 10:59 PM

Swim lesson name alert: Shipley (girl). Now there is an androgynous last-namy kind of girls name I have never heard before.

Another Laura, you could just call Katharine "Kate" instead of "Katie," and voila! Problem solved, and you can use Jude. Or if it's a girl, Maeve, Rose, Grace (still a pretty name, if overused), Anne, Jane, or any other one-syllable girls' name. Or Rosalind nn Rose, Annabelle nn Anne, And so on. What is nice about your sibset is that they are all classic, beautiful names.

By another Laura (not verified)
January 23, 2010 11:59 PM

Beth - it was my intention to call her Kate, but Katie has stuck. I'm hoping when she's older we'll use Kate more. I think it's just me being a name perfectionist that it bugs me that her given name isn't one syllable. These large family sibsets are hard to construct in real life (as opposed to the American Girl books) b/c you just don't know how the girl/boy breakout will work and of course decisions are made over the course of many years and likes/dislikes change.

By katy0 (not verified)
January 24, 2010 12:02 AM

@Becky
What about Yael? I knew a girl named that and I thought it was a really cool name... sounds sort of strong and androgynous but also really pretty. She didn't seem to have any problems getting people to pronounce it properly.
Or Shoshanna? Strong Hebrew name that lends itself to a few different nicknames.

January 24, 2010 12:50 AM

@Melissa Love - If you are going with Lila Christine I would definitely pair it with Charlotte Olivia. Ava is too matchy matchy with Lila for me. I would tend to avoid that with twins. Of course you should pick the name you love the most in the end though!

@another Laura - I think you are over thinking it a bit much as all us NEs tend to do. All your names have a similar feel to them so I don't think Katherine stands out. I would probably go for another multi-syllable name next time but if you have a boy I think Jude is just fine. If you are planning on having more kiddies I think you can just add some more multi-syllable names down the track. FWIW I think trying to stick to a particular pattern makes it more difficult for yourself if you have a big family. i.e. the Duggars and their 'J' obsession. Not that your pattern is that difficult to accommodate. Out of interest how many kids do you want? It would be such fun to have so many kids to name :)

January 24, 2010 12:54 AM

another Laura-It's another boring Saturday nite here so I put your current sibset in Nymbler for fun. It it were me (because I love classic names) these are some I might use for the next:
Laura; Lydia; Victoria
Stephen/Steven; Benjamin
Anthony; Audrey; Andrew
David; Daniel; Nathaniel
Adam; Ava; Alexandra nn Alex
Rebecca; Rachel; Russell
Joshua; Joel; Joanna
Samuel; Aaron
Nicholas; Lucas
Isaac; Ian
Eleanor; Edward
I have combined them a bit for sound but you could combine them in a number of ways such as sound (beg or end), syllables, biblical, etc.

By Kristin W. (not verified)
January 24, 2010 1:05 AM

Hmmm, it's disheartening to hear about all these areas where Ruby is so oversaturated. What I'm gathering is Ruby is mega-popular with the "urban hipster" crowd. Which makes sense, as I'm basically a hipster, even though I'm living smack in the middle of a rural red state. I think, being in basically the last place Ruby will probably become popular, I would be safe for the time being. I just have to decide if I can reconcile myself to the likelihood that Ruby will at least in the next few years overtake me and become wildly popular even nearby.

I'm so scornful of popular names usually that it feels like I'm betraying myself if I name my kid such an up-and-coming name. At the same time, it fits my every other criteria. I do like the suggestion of Pearl, but I don't like Pearlie, and I know I will need a two-syllable name to call my child. Somehow, nothing else feels comfortable rolling off my tongue.

What to do, what to do.

By EVie
January 24, 2010 1:12 AM

another Laura - I definitely understand the perfectionism, but I wouldn't worry too much about the number of syllables, especially since your sibset is unified by other factors - namely, style. Plus, since Katharine has the middle name Rose, you still have a one-syllable name in there. Maybe your next child could have a multisyllabic first name and a monosyllabic middle name also? Something like Timothy James or Elizabeth Grace would fit right in with Paul, Clare, Mark and Katharine (and they could always be Tim or Liz too).

By Mirnada (not verified)
January 24, 2010 8:05 AM

Kristen

Yep, Ruby is definitely Urban Hipster Trendy. I know a Ruby/Stella sibset, if that's any indication. If you love it, though, who cares. How much is that going to affect your child, really? There aren't THAT many urban hipsters, after all...

By another Laura (not verified)
January 24, 2010 10:34 AM

Chimu: Not sure how many children we'll have. We have been married 9 years and have 4 kids. So best guess, 4 more but not sure really. I definately had too many limiting factors. P@ul, Cl@re, and M@rk had everything I wanted 1 syllable, saint name, timeless feel, not used in the family already.

Evie: I like the 1 syllable mn idea.

zoerhenne: I like Lydia but dh doesn't so much (although I can talk him into most anything by sheer presistence). He does like Nicholas. He also likes Philip and Andrew. But Nick, Phil, Andy, and Drew don't do anything for me.

If we didn't use Jude, we might go with Gabriel nn Gabe would that fit in with my other names?

January 24, 2010 11:29 AM

Becky,

I love for you:
Adina
Aviva
Shira

You mentioned Shaina in one of your posts. It's technically spelled Shana. I knew a girl with this name and I loved it.

My daughter, Isabel Skye's, Hebrew name is Elisheva Avira. I thought I'd throw those both out there. Elisheva is Elizabeth in Hebrew. Avira literally means sky in Hebrew.

January 24, 2010 1:09 PM

Ooh Becky, I love cabybake's suggestion of Avira for you. It's similar to some others you've mentioned yet w/o the pronunciation problems. Ah-veer-a is how I would pronounce that so I hope that's correct. Plus, I love the nature meaning of the word as well.

another Laura-I can understand how the 1 syllable nn's don't do anything for you. I have the same feeling with Nicholas and Phillip especially. I do think the 1 syllable mn thing works too but I was just trying to give you some other options. I'm sure the right decision will come to you. Gabriel works with your other names but personally I prefer the girls name Gabrielle over the boys Gabriel. Gabe will always remind me of Welcome Back Kotter.

January 24, 2010 5:33 PM

@another Laura - I like Gabriel nn Gabe. I think it does fit with your other kids names too.

@Kristin W - I would say Ruby is urban hipster trendy. It does sound like you really love the name though, so you should use it if you can't find anything else you love as much. From what you say it might be awhile before it takes off in your area so you would be ahead of the curve. Also, being a trendy hipster really isn't that bad :)

January 24, 2010 6:08 PM

Kristin W-Are there any other names you are considering? I found some ideas with Nymbler's help that are sort of the same style-wise to Ruby, Pearl, and Stella.
Hazel; June; Sadie
Ada; Ivy; Patience
Flora; Daisy (who already had a Daisy-these would be good ideas for them too)
Jewel; Nell; Audrey
Georgia; Verity; Juniper
Violet; Alice; Lark
Fern; Poppy; Rosemary
Amity; Iris; Avril
Felicity; Crystal; Sienna
Willow; Matilda

By Crystal (not verified)
January 24, 2010 6:17 PM

For LEW-
My name is Crystal and my only brother's name is Michael, and honestly, I think I was the ONLY person who noticed the -al sounding ending, and didn't mind. I mentioned it to my mom when I was about 12 and she said, "Oh, yeah, now that you mention it I can see that. I guess we both liked the sound." So there, go for Alice in my opinion.

By Adele'smommy (not verified)
January 24, 2010 6:53 PM

to: By Becky - I love Naomi for a girl.I have also always likes the Hebrew name Tirzah.

By Anna S (not verified)
January 24, 2010 7:16 PM

Another Laura - I don't think it matters to anyone but you, you're over-thinking it ;-) Your children's names are all lovely and go really well together.

Melissa Love - I'd pick Lila Christine and Charlotte Olivia. Ava Madeline is also nice but I appreciate the contrast between Lila and Charlotte as first names, especially for twins. I also like the subtle connections between the FNs and MNs (Lila-Olivia and Christine-Charlotte). Basically, same thing as Emilyrae said.

January 24, 2010 8:02 PM

just to clarify, is lila "lee-la" or "lye-la" ? i have always said lye-la, but i just wanted to make sure.

By Anna S (not verified)
January 24, 2010 8:45 PM

Lila - I say Lye-la per default if the name appears to be English but Lee-la if the context is "something European-ish".

But... Mila and Tila are with the /ee/ pronunciation per default - I suppose it is because I perceive them as being of non-English origin.

January 24, 2010 9:21 PM

Anna S-I also say Lila as Lye-la by default (American) but your analysis made me think...Isn't the I normally an E sound and the Y normally an I sound?
Tila, Mila, Lila= _ee-la

Tyla, Myla, Lyla=_eye-la

I am referencing names like Kyla, Twyla, Skylar and others but I guess every name has a preferred pronunciation regardless of whether E, I, or Y is used.

By Kanadiana (not verified)
January 24, 2010 10:33 PM

Becky,
Such interesting names! I like them!

A few suggestions-
Naomi (2 pronunciations- N-eye-o-mee, or N-ay-o-mee)
Tirzah

There's also:
Jemima
Miriam
Jael (Jay-el)
Selah
Eve

So much fun!

By Kanadiana (not verified)
January 24, 2010 10:36 PM

Adele'smommy,
I just noticed after posting above, that you and I made the same suggestions in the same order. How funny! I love Tirzah too- I really like the pronunciation "Tear-zah" as in tear drop.... so pretty.

January 24, 2010 10:59 PM

I am looking for name ideas. My friend is adopting a girl and needs to change her name. Currently she is Tameka and goes by Mickey. They plan to keep calling her Mickey bc it is just so her. The obvious choices if McKenzie or Michaela/McKayla dont really sing songs in her soul. She asked me if tehre was any other good name that I would suggest. I ahve not had much time to really digest all that but do any of you have a good idea?

Her only birth child she named Sara. I know that she likes "plain and simple" names.

By knp (not verified)
January 24, 2010 11:58 PM

Jessica: First of all,I don't really see a problem with Tameka, nn Mickey.
I suggest Michelle, Mika, McKenna, and with more of a stretch (but my favorite) Monica. I can see Sara & Michelle or Sara & Monica as sib sets.

also, I'd spell her nn Mickie, looks more feminine. Just me though.

Others might be more helpful

By Bue (not verified)
January 25, 2010 7:37 AM

Changing the name of an adopted child - now there's an interesting and fraught topic for a bunch of NEs. I can't believe I'm admitting this but when I've pondered the concept of adopting an older child I always end up thinking, 'What if I hated my child's name?!' Personally, I think so much depends on their age, but if your friend is set on it, what about Millicent or Mercedes? I also like the Michelle and Monica suggestions.

Ruby - it is sweet but they are a dime a dozen here in London. I think it was the most popular girls' name last year in Wales. I'm surprised that none of these parents of Rubys have considered Ruth, which lends itself to Ruthie - similar and even sweeter in my opinion, and it's a classic.

By another Laura (not verified)
January 25, 2010 8:17 AM

Jessica: I think Monique would shorten to Mickey pretty well. I agree that the Mickie gives the same nn with a little more feminine, and less mousy, overtones.

January 25, 2010 8:49 AM

Jessica-I agree with knp that Tameka does not seem too bad. However, in the parts where I am it might be seen as more of an African American name so I can understand if that is the concern if the child is not of color. However, I am also liking Bue's comment in that it would depend on the age of the child whether or not I would change its name. The suggestion of Michelle seems the best to me except that I wouldn't want a sibset of Sara + Michelle because of Sarah Michelle Gellar and wasn't there a movie about someone and Michelle going to the mall or something?
On a side note, I have a cousin in-law that is nn'd Micc! and I don't even remember her REAL name.

January 25, 2010 9:41 AM

Jessica:

Micaela and Marcail are two other possibilities. I do like Mercedes. I'd be tempted to keep Tameka, myself, though.

By Anna S (not verified)
January 25, 2010 10:23 AM

zoerhenne - I think Lila /lye-la/ is the exception because of the colour lilac. The _ila names don't really have a 'normal word equivalent' in English.

For me, this first "what language does it like" impression always has a strong influence on my 'default' pronunciation, in a subconscious orthographic kind-of way. If I see something like Lila Marike Nüssberg I automatically think German and pronounce it /lee-la/, but with Lila Hughes-Baker my first guess would be /lye-la/.

A while ago there was a discussion about the girls' name Marcail. It's supposed to be pronounced /mar-kale/ but when my orthographically autonomic brain spots the /ail/ part and the /marc/ (instead of /mark/), it wants it to be French. Therefore it becomes /mar-kaij/ and I have a really hard time 'overruling' that pronunciation. I'm not doing it on purpose, it's just that for some reason Marcail looks definitively more French than English to me. It's actually so bad that I can't help wondering if the c was supposed to be a cedilla because Marçail /mar-saij/ just looks even more "right". (And no, I can't pronounce cedilla properly either...).

January 25, 2010 1:22 PM

Anna S-That was interesting thanks for sharing but in a nutshell who knows ;)

By LEW (not verified)
January 25, 2010 1:40 PM

Whew...was out of town for the weekend and had a lot to catch up on!!

Laura...Looking forward to the Alice post next month! :-) Sorry we beat you to the punch!

Jane (and others who mentioned it)...I agree that Alice and Harris have the similar endings and might be a bit too much "-is" for a sibset. Of course, DH soundly disagrees and says that it doesn't bother him. I suspect that we'll go forward with both of them and deal with this problem when it's time for baby #2.

Robyn...Thanks. In relation to the above sibset dilemma, I considered Martin in the fn spot as the solution...but, you're right, it's just a bit too dorky for my tastes out front and center like that! :-) Perfect in the middle name spot, though!

Kristin...I don't see Ruby as being the next Kristin. And, even if it were in the Top 10 in 9 years, your little Ruby wouldn't have lots of other friends named Ruby in her grade in school. It's too much on the outskirts right now. I also think that Laura's Top 10 in 2019 excluded the obvious ones, so that would actually put Ruby much further down the list once those were added in. If you love it, go for it!

On the regional naming issue, my name is Lindsey. I see it is absolutely dated to the early 80s, though it's regaining popularity now. Even though it was so popular with my generation, I was a graduate student in an entirely different region from where I grew up before I met another girl my age named Lindsey/Lindsay.

Bue...I think you summed up why the vowel heavines in Alice Ellen doesn't bother me so much. It's just a different kind of flow...soft and lilting! Perfect description!

Felicia...Unfortunately, there's already a cousin in the family named Alicia. Her name is an offshoot of the same great grandmother Alice, but her parents weren't sure about Alice 25 years ago.

Anne with an E...Definitely a fan of Louisa! DH couldn't get in to it, but I loved it...and both of our grandmothers had Lou as middle names. Too bad I couldn't get him onboard. Maybe if baby #2 is a girl on day I can talk him into an Alice & Louisa sibset (assuming baby #1 is also a girl...LOL!) I love it! But, I'm also a HUGE fan of Eleanor nn Norah! Super tough decision! (Just caught up with the thread...Bummer on the hubbies not loving Louisa as much as the wives!!)

moll...We committed the cardinal sin and told many of our family about our love of Alice now rather than once the baby was born. Once they could tell how much we loved it, they were totally onboard, but my mom and grandma definitely felt it had that "old lady" vibe...and too much so for them. I think it's a toss-up on whether or not Alice is still too "old lady" for this decade or just right "old lady trendy." We shall see... You're probably right, as well, about it being a classic (re: Elizabeth) than trendy (re: Sophia, Olivia and the like).

Becky...Congrats on your baby girl! Shirah appeals to me given the sibset and naming requirements. I also like Sarai, but the pronunciation does remind me some of Suri Cruise.

Chimu...Nice to see another Astrid fan!

Melissa Love...Lila & Ava is my choice because the sibset fits better toghether, however Ava is MUCH too popular for my taste. Charlotte is a bit too classic to go with Lila to me. I do like Charlotte & Ava as a sibset better than Lila & Ava. From the other options you listed I really like Margaret Christine & Charlotte Olivia.

another Laura...I think what jumps out at me about your sibset more than the one syllable vs. multi-syllable variance is that they're all very classic names. And, if Katherine goes by Katie most of the time, I think it's really no big deal. Katie is a two-syllable name, but it's very concise. That said, I might go with multi-syllable names with future kids just so the disparity is even less noticeable. I wouldn't worry about sticking with the c/k trend for all the girls, though. They're gorgeous, classic, traditional names all around!

Crystal...Thanks for sharing that! It's definitely good to know that matching endings didn't cause trouble for other sibsets...and especially good to know that it's only really NEs that pick up on that. It doesn't seem to bother anyone in my family other than me, so that would lend itself to the NEs-only theory! :-)

By daisy_kay (not verified)
January 25, 2010 2:20 PM

DH, who never comments on baby names, actually gave me some feedback last night. I've been going back and forth between Louisa and Mabel, so I asked him which one he likes best (not expecting to get an answer - haha), and he surprised me by saying Mabel. I really thought he would like Louisa best, so I was taken aback. And oddly enough, I'm saddened by this. I didn't know I adored Louisa so much, but I do. However, I do also love Mabel, and when I picture our daughter in my head, it's always a Mabel I see. And I love the sweet, sassy style of Mabel - I just think I may like the style of Louisa a bit more.

By daisy_kay (not verified)
January 25, 2010 2:26 PM

Oh, and I forgot to ask... I've heard Mabel is catching on in the U.K., so for those of you who live there, have you seen the evidence of this? Just how popular is it? I want our kids to have names that aren't popular (as in not in the top 300 or so on the popularity chart), and I'm worried that if it becomes popular in the U.K. then it may do the same thing in the U.S. I would love some feedback on this. Thanks!

January 25, 2010 2:46 PM

LEW,
i *love* eleanor nn nora(h) for a girl. it is currently my number one pick (i am no where close to having a child--it's all strictly hypothetical).

By Rjoy (not verified)
January 25, 2010 7:00 PM

zoerhenne-That is so interesting that there are so many A names coming up in your area. I myself am drawn to names starting in vowels and A especially. Thanks!

By hyz (nli) (not verified)
January 25, 2010 7:27 PM

Rjoy, that's interesting--I notice precisely the same thing about myself! And, I just realized that the three main names I've chosen in my life (2 dogs, then my daughter) start with A, E, and I, and my current top choice for a future boy begins with O. After that, I'll just need a U and maybe a Y to round out the set. :)

By Rjoy (not verified)
January 25, 2010 8:06 PM

hyz-ha-ha....I have five children. Four of them begin with vowels. Only the first child starts with the letter S. I have only used A, I and E (twice). I am very attracted to the letter E for some reason. I love names starting with E! Runner up is A! I also love I! Well...you get the jist. I have also been falling for Yael lately so that would help. LOL! I can't go for U though... :( O's are ok but not too man names I am mad about that start wtih O. I like Ophelia but not the background.

If we have an more children the boy name might start with S, but I really like an E name. For girls...I am just lost! Too many I like! LOL!

By Rjoy (not verified)
January 25, 2010 8:10 PM

daisy_kay- I have noticed that it is normal to mourn a name that you love when you have decided to go with another one that is really the better fit. It is just part of being an NE. You have make up two little girls in your mind to go with each name. It is hard to say goodbye to one. Once your daughter comes it won't matter anymore. She will just be who she is and everything else will be a faint memory.

Sometimes I think that for us serious NE's it is better to leave names alone when we are ACTUALLY having to name our own child. It is to much for us.

By suki b (not verified)
January 25, 2010 8:19 PM

Becky - coming late to the discussion, but I like Shoshana, and didn't see suggested Nama (not sure that I spelled it correctly, but it's Noah's wife's name, and Limor. I met a really dynamic Isreali girl with this name, and have always liked it. Or even Eden is slightly more original.

Kristen - I know four under 3 yo Rubys. I think it's sweet, but I prefer more unique names. I always ask the ladies at the stationary stores what are the popular names. Those women do the baby announcements, holiday cards, kid's bdays, and always seem very aware of naming trends.

What about:

Petra
Flora
Cecily
Ramona
Alegra
Astrid

my two cents. Good luck!

January 25, 2010 8:47 PM

Rjoy and hyz-That is so funny! There are 101 (literally!) individual (read different spellings) A names for the year. Way too many to list them all here! There are 29 E names, 8 I names, 4 O names, 2 U names, 7 Y names. So A is definitely popular right now. My favorite A names:
Adrienne
Alyssa
Ashley
Amanda

Totally 70's all the way LOL!

By another Laura (not verified)
January 25, 2010 10:53 PM

I'm just the opposite and have very few names beginning with vowels that I like. My kids start with P, C, M, and K. J and T are most likely next. And on my lengthy list of potential baby names there are no serious vowel contenders. And even those names -Edmund and Eleanor come to mind, I really like because I find Ned and Nell so endearing