The Name Not Taken

Mar 25th 2010

Last week power-blogger Jason Kottke published a list of the names he didn't choose for his baby daughter. In his words, "Since we are so so (SO!) done having kids, I thought I'd share our list in case someone else finds any of them useful."

The list is very consistent in style. The girls are conspicuously but charmingly antique (Beatrix, Coralie), while the boys are quirky, pint-sized traditionals (Hugo, Finn). Milton is a notable outlier. All in all, a stylish group with an upscale urban/artsy feel.

What really fascinated me, though, wasn't the names themselves but the baby-naming psychology that the blog post embodied. The title, while jokey, says a lot: "Baby names for sale, never used." I suspect most parents can relate to this. It's as if our rejected names still in some way belong to us.

Have you ever seen an exchange between the mother of a toddler and another mom with a newborn baby, something like this? "Oh, Felix? Felix was on our short list when Jasper was born!!" Jasper's mom beams, feeling a real link with little Felix. Meanwile baby Felix's mom smiles tightly at the interloper who dares to think she owns some piece of the special name which belongs to HER, darn it!

As we mull over our short lists, we become attached to the names. They each develop personalities, linked to images of our potential future with different possible children. Even after the winning name is chosen and the baby born, the attachment to the runners-up lingers.

Like Mr. Kottke, many of us also view our unused names as a mildly tragic waste. I'm hardly immune to this myself. I was thrilled when a new nephew received a favorite boy's name that had "gone to waste" when my youngest daughter was born. When you stop to think about it, though, it's a little nonsensical to think of names as assets in that way. In my case it was a traditional name, not something I invented. It was an infinitely renewable resource, and not something that would go to the landfill if unused. How can something so abstract and hypothetical ever "go to waste"?

Part of the sense of waste may be about the time and effort we put into assembling our name lists. But more important, I think, is the sense of value being wasted. All of our name lists have something in common: they reflect our own personal tastes. That means they're flat-out gorgeous. They're the best possible names! How can we let such a valuable resource sit mouldering? Shouldn't we share that bounty, "in case someone else finds any of them useful"?

Comments

April 1, 2010 6:29 PM

Due within a month-How funny! Avril and Nabal are wonderful.

Guest: Yes sometime around Mothers Day the stats are announced. If you go back a few threads Laura runs a contest where you can guess what you think the biggest risers and fallers of the year were. Good luck if you vote!

Larksong: I have been here a few years now. I am a parent but also just a plain old NE. I have loved names from an early age. I think all of us here just enjoy being here and talking about names in one form or another. Welcome!

April 1, 2010 7:05 PM

Larksong: I'm expecting, which is why I originally came to the site, but I plan on posting even after my baby arrives! I agree that many people here are just name lovers.

So, It's probably about time I post that "Argh! I'm due in a few weeks" type of post. I'm due six weeks from now (though both my sons were early, so we'll see..). Basically, we were originally considering Zipporah and Shoshanna but Zipporah is more or less out of the race for the fn spot because I've already encountered pronunciation issues and I'm kind of over the appeal of it. Anyway, we really love Ruth now, but I've been getting mixed reactions on it. Also we're basically stuck when it comes to middle names. I love Yael, but Ruth Yael doesn't flow quite right. Anyway, later I'll post more on the middle name dilemma. But the whole Ruth thing has been agonizing me a bit. I know I still have time but six weeks goes by quite quickly!

By knp-nli (not verified)
April 1, 2010 8:00 PM

Becky: how about Ruth Zipporah? The middle sounds kinda smoosh together, but it may be a way to use a name you like. really, you'll be the only person saying the middle name, so you'd be able to control the pronunciation issues...
I have an aunt who is Ruth-- her middle name is Elaine. (the prettiest name of my mom and her sisters, I think: Ruth Elaine, Nancy June, Mary Beth-- a 3-syllable trend though!)

April 1, 2010 8:24 PM

becky,
aw, sad. i love zipporah (and find the pronunciation quite intuitive). but ruth is very sweet as well. i'll second ruth zipporah. and maybe ruth hadassah? i feel like ruth needs a longer middle name, but that's just me.

April 1, 2010 9:06 PM

I'm curious. Do y'all really find the pronunciation of Zipporah intuitive? It's not the Z in zipper, but rather the -ts in cats.. That was my grandmother's name, although she was always called Tzippa, so I am always happy to see the name renewed. The more current nn is Tzipi which is cute. Even Zippy would be a cute nn.

April 1, 2010 9:13 PM

i was under the impression that, if becky had chosen to use it, that she had said she was planning on using the z-as-in-zipper pronunciation and call her zippy (but correct me if i'm mistaken). if using the z sound, then yes, i find it very intuitive. if using the more traditional (i assume?) ts sound, then it would be less intuitive for me.

April 1, 2010 9:30 PM

I just had to mention this story:

That's right, a new son named Crimson Tide Redd. Father's a 'Bama fan.

April 1, 2010 9:57 PM

@Becky, I do think there would be pronunciation issues with Zipporah (although it's quite pretty). However, I *love* Ruth! I had a good friend when I was little named Ruth and later knew a wonderful young woman named Ruth Lea (pron Lee). They both give me a fresh, youthful feel for Ruth where I think it still feels "old lady" to many. And I think Ruth Zipporah is a nice way to use the other name.

April 1, 2010 10:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far! I do love Zipporah, and we would ideally have liked to use the Tzipporah pronunciation that Miriam mentioned because I feel like it's more authentic and I kind of felt I was cheating the name if I changed the pronunciation and the spelling, even though it has been done before. Part of me loves Tzipi/Zippy very much, but my biggest concern is that if she were to not like that nickname or if she were to grow out of it, Zipporah might hinder her later. I'm glad to hear positive feedback on Ruth. From other people, who are not as name savvy, I've gotten some less positive feedback (nothing overtly negative, thankfully, more like politely dissmissive of the name), for example a friend said she LOVED Yael (which isn't even in the contention for the first name spot) but didn't mention Ruth at all. *Sigh*. I need to not worry about what other people think. I do like Ruth Zipporah. The middle name situation is a bit complicated because we might need to name after a family member from DH's side, since Ruth is after a relative on my side. We might be able to make Zipporah work though (hopefully!).

April 1, 2010 10:47 PM

becky,
oh, oops! for some reason i was sure you were switching up the pronunciation on zipporah! sorry about that.

i really like ruth and i think ruthie is pure sweetness for a little girl. so don't worry too much. i bet they'd love it once they heard it on your little girl. :]

By Catherinetoo (not verified)
April 2, 2010 12:34 AM

I need help. I love the name Eleanor for a whole host of reasons (sound, history, meaning, family connection) but my husband is stuck thinking of it as an old lady name. Any tips on how to persuade him? He likes both Lena and Nora as nns but would prefer to just name her the nn or find something else. Anyone have success with persuasion?

April 2, 2010 7:24 AM

Some quick google image searches for the name Eleanor should pull up tons of baby pictures. You could also show him the Social Security stats. Would that do the trick?

April 2, 2010 7:25 AM

OK, so I just did a Google image search. "Eleanor" produces tons of pictures of cars (not sure why--didn't research that) but "Baby Eleanor" is a goldmine.

By knp-nli (not verified)
April 2, 2010 7:44 AM

in the movie gone in 60 seconds, a car was named eleanor-- maybe that's why?

April 2, 2010 9:34 AM

haha. a car eleanor. amusing.

catherinetoo,
in addition to the great suggestions above (ssa stats and google image search), you could show him the eleanor graph on name voyager. it's not steeply rising, but it is rising. it's definitely not an old lady name any more.

April 2, 2010 10:35 AM

@Catherinetoo--well in my experience, I talked my hubby into Eleanor by presenting it as one of several options...making sure that the other options were all names he liked even less!

About a year ago he didn't like Eleanor, about 6 months ago he started liking it, and about a month ago when I had a freak-out that it was too popular and we needed to come up with another name, he's the one who talked me back into it, because he loves it now.

Oh, and he already changed his password on his work computer to eleanor, so he says we have to use it now. :P

By hyz
April 2, 2010 10:47 AM

Becky, I do love Zipporah, but it's bold, so I can totally understand shying away from it as the date gets closer. That said, I also love Ruth. I might not have said the same thing a few years ago, but it's really grown on me a lot--it's classic, strong, and really pretty timeless, although it's an unexpected choice today, and I agree that Ruthie is totally adorable. So in my mind, Ruth Zipporah is about perfect. I love it, and I think it's my first choice for you. Yael is great, too, so I could definitely see Yael Ruth or Yael Zipporah as wonderful options. I like Shoshanna much less, but I think that's only because I grew up knowing a couple of Shoshannas who were bratty/annoying. I really like Susannah, so theoretically I can see the appeal of Shoshanna, but I can't personally get behind it.

By hyz
April 2, 2010 10:53 AM

Anne with an E, that's funny about your DH's password--a very good argument for using the name, I'm sure, lol. I also had to kind of talk my DH into Eleanor, because he liked Nora, which is nice, but really seems like just a nn to me, so I was only on board if it could be short for Eleanor, or maybe Honora. Anyway, he clearly preferred Eleanor of those two, and it was on our short list right up to the end, although we didn't end up using it.

It really does seem like it's becoming an increasingly popular choice, especially among people I know (yuppies, over-educated sorts, etc.). In fact, one of the big reasons we *didn't* use it is because it felt like it was becoming too common--it's a perfect sister to all the Carolines and Amelias and Henrys and Olivers and Jacks running around. Maybe that will help Catherinetoo's DH?

April 2, 2010 11:37 AM

anne with an e, that's fairly adorable about your husband's password.

as much as eleanor seems like it is becoming increasingly popular and as much as it is discussed on this board, the name voyager graph really isn't that steep at all. maybe people are just talking about it and not taking the plunge...?

By hyz
April 2, 2010 11:51 AM

emilyrae, wow, that's true--I just checked it out myself compared to some of the sibs I proposed for it, and I was surprised to see how much lower Eleanor was on the ranking overall, and to see how much shallower its climb has been. Huh. Wacky. I do see it in my alumni announcements, though, and I feel like it's all over blog land (on real babies, not just in discussions about possible names)--maybe it's one of those names that is still very concentrated among a small group of people, and so seems much more saturated than it is? I would've sworn its graph would look very similar to Henry's and Amelia's at least, but I was wrong.

By Catherinetoo (not verified)
April 2, 2010 1:03 PM

Thanks for the tips. I keep offering arguments in favor so maybe I'll wear him down in the next few months. I also know I have the long painful labor guilt if it comes to that :)

By Guest (not verified)
April 4, 2010 11:47 PM

I've got a short list of names-not-to-be-used because of the (a)surname, (b) popularity, and/or (c) DH's taste:

Margo (g)
Oswald (b)
Isabelle (g)
Laurent (b)
Isolde(g)
Harvey (b)
Louisa (g)

By Guest (not verified)
April 8, 2010 11:46 AM

A good part of my sadness over never having a daughter is in never using our girl name. We chose it in 1998 for a child that didn't end up being born until 2007. Choosing a boy name was insanely hard for us but we'd had that girl name for almost as long as we had known each other. Alas. Little girl Soren was never to be.

By rhea (not verified)
April 9, 2010 7:51 AM

Laura, this post is brilliant!! What a wonderful insight into our attachment to names. Thanks!

April 12, 2010 12:19 PM

I feel as though I have hit the jackpot finding this site! I would greatly welcome any suggestions...I am expecting in Oct. I have a four year old son from a previous marriage named Logan...so I am looking for something that will make sense when I introduce my children somewhat. I don't want my son to feel as though he doesn't belong. I'm from a traditional, conservative family when it came to names (I'm Kristen and my siblings are Rebekah, Rachel, and Luke). He wants to name the child something more unique...his suggestions have been "Tanner" for a boy and "Caroline" for a girl. I love Lucas, Jacob, etc but he isn't a fan. Suggestions? They are greatly appreciated!

By Guest (not verified)
April 12, 2010 10:43 PM

Hmmm. You might want to post this on a more recent blog entry so you get more help.

Also, have you tried looking at nymbler.com? You can enter in the name ideas that you mentioned above (Lucas, Tanner, and Jacob) and see what names fit within those styles.

For example, if you use those names to generate a list of boy names, you'll get names like Grant, Miles, Caleb, Simon, Alexander, and Riley.

April 14, 2010 12:46 AM

I am brand new on here and need some advice! I am 9 weeks pregnant with my first baby.

We have a couple of boy names we like ( Otto and Kobe) but I am completely stuck when it comes to girls. In the past I have really loved the name Fina , once I got pregnant my husband decided he liked it...but now it just doesn't feel right to me. The name I have fallen in love with is Elin ( yes like Tiger's wife) however my husband refuses to use it because he doesn't want anyone calling our baby Ellen. Those are literally the only 2 names on my list and while other names are pretty they just don't "feel right".

Our last name is very long and very Norwegian and ends in an O. The only other girl name I like but could never use because it my moms dogs name is Pheonix.

Please help me I am so stuck and could really use some great suggestions from all you namers. Thank you in advance!

By elleireland (not verified)
April 17, 2010 7:06 AM

Another beautiful nn for Alessandra or Cassandra is Sanna. There is a children's author named Sanna Anderson, and her name looks lovely on the book cover. I personally don't care for Cassandra, it sounds too carnival-y. Alessandra, however, sounds educated and quirky.

By elleireland (not verified)
April 17, 2010 7:19 AM

You are my dream friend. I adore giving name advice. Here goes, based on the names you mentioned:

Inga Hope
Fiona Grace
Elle Fiona
Solveig Hope
Anja (or Anya) Belle
Ivy Jessamyn
Annika Jane
Sanna Grace
Elsa Jane
Brigid Elsie
Katja Finn (or Finland)

You are sure on the right site. Good luck!

By Deborah, guest (not verified)
April 17, 2010 8:42 PM

I love the name Iris, don't like Penelope. It's too associated with a famous person whom we all know.
I like flower names anyway!

April 19, 2010 10:19 PM

@Lucky

I'm surprised that you only figured Cypress for a boy's name. The only Cypress I've ever known was female--my mentor in college and the friendliest human being I've ever met. Her given name was Melissa, but no one called her that. Don't know where the nickname 'Cypress' came from!

By Sally (not verified)
April 21, 2010 9:22 AM

Jan, if I meet someone with a child that shares one of my children's names, I always want to know what they called (or would have called) their other children, so I can see if our tastes match beyond that single name. Our children, BTW, are James Allan (he's 29 now) and Tegan Maria (26).

By Guest (not verified)
August 15, 2010 11:06 AM

Dsquared2discount is the best online Dsquared shop where you can
buy the Dsquared Jacket, Dsquared Jeans, Dsquared Shirt and more.
Dsquared

The most cool online shoes shop where you can find the most fashion designers shoes, include
Manolo Blahnik shoes, Jimmy Choo shoes, Christian Louboutin shoes and more.
we offer high quality highheels at low price.
Manolo Blahnik Shoes
Jimmy Choo Shoes
Manolo Blahnik
Jimmy Choo

Explore the world of erotic lingerie. Find the most erotic lingerie, hot underwear,
babydoll, clubwear, teddies and more.
erotic lingerie

November 6, 2012 3:50 AM

I just purchased a North Face Boots a couple months ago. I'm from Michigan so it gets pretty cold here, and I was expecting for $160+ to not have to wear anything but a t-shirt under my Denali. But that was way wrong. The North Face Winter Coats is good with just a t-shirt up to like 45 degrees, but after that you need to start packing on the layers. Love my Denali, it just wasn't as warm as I was expecting. http://www.northfaceboots.net

By hhh

شيرى عادل 2013

منة شلبي 2013

رولا سعد 2013

زينب العسكري 2013

نرمين زعزع

November 27, 2013 5:34 AM

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for beginner blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it sfo limo.

December 17, 2017 1:43 AM

alabama Theatre's 2014 fall film television show

heathrow, the state of alabama "oil" Is the saying for dinner your al cinema.

the main 1978 box firm champ moon bob Travolta, very apart your man's breakout position around "sunday evenings feeling sick, also foreign go superstar Olivia Newton justin very senior high school fans in whose opposites carry courtship is placed for a could beat they might be flow to. prior to when the movie, there will be sing out alongs to qualify for the melody the actual Alabama's widely known powerful Wurlitzer body organ.

diverse video clips during the summer time menstrual cycles take in "the noise of Music, "that will ruin one particular Mockingbird, "the Godfar" in addition to "a magician out of ounce,

Full set on warmer video lessons towards the alabama treatment room]

The the state of alabama movie theater is due to 1817 Third Ave. n,upper downtown, And the telephone number is considered 205 252 2262.

these are the information on tonight's show:

the celebs: diane Travolta, Olivia Newton nicole, Stockard Channing, mark Conaway.

"sauces" wasn't any. 1 at the therapy lamp operate operating in 1978.

situation: During plastic ban year in 1958, an unsatisfactory kid given the name Danny (Travolta) And a top notch youthful lady labeled sand (Newton ryan) satisfy at the beach and as well as trip famously doing find it irresistible, in case summer months is over each goes certain fallen through because of styles, only to be reunited when they show up at alike graduating.

a piece of trivia: most of the soundtrack so that you can "sauces" were the second top selling photo album in the uk in 1978, looking precisely the telugu movies news soundtrack to a new one leading john Travolta show up number, "friday anti aging night nausea,

academia funds: One nomination, for best unusual song for donald Farrar's "Hopelessly focused on You, this hadn't purchase.

thoughtful phrase: "A hickie far from Kenickie is compared to a latest cinema news in tamil characteristic card stoock, whilst you only attention and care acceptable to deliver the top part, some sort of crass Kenickie (Conaway) to be able to a sexy special lady Rizzo (Channing).