The Name of the Decade, and other thoughts on the 2000s

May 13th 2010

Insights from crunching through the 2,500 most popular baby names of the decade:

The fastest rising names of the decade were celebrity-heavy, including Hollywood babies, movie and recording stars, and reality tv personalities -- plus two of the defining fashion phenomena of the decade, Nevaeh and Aiden.

The names that rose the fastest from 2000 to 2009 (calculated, as always, with the Baby Name Wizard "Hotness Formula"):

GIRLS
1. Kaydence ("American Pie," see more info below)
2. Miley ("Hannah Montana" Miley Cyrus)
3. Nevaeh (Heaven backwards)
4. Rihanna (Music star Rihanna)
5. Khloe (Khloe Kardashian, "Keeping Up with the Kardashians")
BOYS
1. Aaden ("Jon & Kate Plus 8")
2. Maddox (Son of actress Angelina Jolie)
3. Gael (Actor Gael García Bernal)
4. Aiden
5. Kingston (Son of musicians Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale)

The fastest falling names were all 1980s and '90s favorites, as parents were on the lookout for the new and different:

GIRLS
1. Hannah
2. Jessica
3. Megan
4. Amanda
5. Lauren
BOYS
1. Nicholas
2. Zachary
3. Kyle
4. Jared
5. Brandon

And the top fresh face of the decade, the most popular name of the decade that was unknown in the year 2000, was Kaydence, by a huge margin. The #2 fresh face was...wait for it...Caydence. Incredibly, seven different spellings of the name rank among the top 25 new names of the 2000s, and even those seven just scratch the surface of the name's many popular variants.

Kaydence. It's a celebrity name (as Cadence) that has outpaced its celebrity origin; a word name that has left its word origins in the dust; a creative spelling explosion. It went from nowhere to everywhere during the past decade. And it has "aiden" inside it.

Whether you love those qualities or loathe them, they make the top new name of the 2000s an emblem of the decade's sound and style. And that makes Kaydence my nominee for Name of the Decade, an encapsulation of the naming times.

Comments

May 13, 2010 9:52 PM

I know the statistics don't lie, but I have to say that out of the top 10 I only know three kids named Chloe, Cadence and Kadence! (So you're right on the money about Kadence.)

But the bottom 10? Still popular in my neck of the woods. (That would be the Southeast. And I'm 30, FWIW.) The most popular girl's name around here has GOT to be Eden. And for boys? Gabriel/Gabe.

May 13, 2010 10:22 PM

That's amazing. Amazing that I don't know a single girl, any aged with any of those names. I don't know a single variation of the name Kaydence. If I'd read it anywhere else, I'd be doubting the accuracy. I do know a handful of Aiden's, but that's the only one familiar to me in the top 10. I'll have an ear out for these names.

May 13, 2010 10:53 PM

Kaydence is very much the name of the decade! Nice call.

In the "beyond the top 1000" data, it's really interesting to see that it's fairly androgynous, too- there are a heck of a lot more female Kadences, for sure, but the variations like Jaydence and Zadence seem to skew male.

Along those line are the (male) Adrian, Tavian and -avious/arius names, which seems to be similarly built-out: Shaydrian, Zadrian, Quadrian, Jatavion, Quindarius, Cortavious. I sort of like the symmetry between the male Adrian/Avian/Arious suffixes, the female Anna/Ella/Alia, and the more neutral Aiden/Aydence endings. It's like a slightly more elaborate version of the "bell tones" thing. And I definitely have a soft spot for the -avian and -avius names.

By JenniferN (not verified)
May 13, 2010 10:53 PM

So if we were to compare Kaydence to fastest risers from other decades, would it continue to stand out as inventive? My guess is it would, but maybe not if we were to go far back in name history...

I'm also interested that Jennifer wasn't one of the fastest fallers, though it's certainly a sister pair with some of those names. Maybe the plunge is just beginning!

By Elisabeth@youcantcallitit (not verified)
May 13, 2010 11:31 PM

Thank you for talking about the name Cadence! This name blind sided me years ago when all of a sudden I was hearing it everywhere and I thought I was crazy because I had NEVER heard it before.

Turns out I wasn't crazy, just observant-- but the phenomenon really threw me for a loop and I did not know its origin until just this moment.

May 13, 2010 11:33 PM

Hmmm... Kaydence. Requisite unnecessary Y? Spelled with a K when the real word is spelled with a C? Uber-trendy word-name with cutesy nickname? Check. Check. And check. Yup, you've nailed it. This is the name of the decade.

By Guest (not verified)
May 13, 2010 11:55 PM

Help me. I've never heard the name Cadence nor does Google turn up a pop culture reference. What am I missing?!?!

I would agree ala-mama that I have heard of most of these names besides Aidan on real children. As for the dropping names, both Lauren and Amanda are very popular in my upper middle class San Francisco suburb. I never really thought of them as time stamped but I guess they are.

May 14, 2010 12:22 AM

I haven't met a Kaydence yet but I'm sure I will. It too funny that it has "aiden" in the middle. Aiden and his rhyming buddies are super popular around here for boys so it seems that it would fit right in.

May 14, 2010 12:21 AM

I have noticed the slip in the Nicholas numbers. My hubby has suggested it as a boy's name from time to time and I had always fiercely rejected it as too popular but it seems less the case now.

By Beth the original (not verified)
May 14, 2010 1:13 AM

Kaydence... must go lie down with the smelling salts. The gratuitous "y." The kreative "k." The "aiden" sound. All proof that I have accidentally time-traveled from the 19th century and have no business here in this decade.

I did once know a Cadence, though. She would be about 30 by now. At the time I thought: what a lovely, slightly hippie-ish, musical name. Like Sonnet, or Lyric. Now I suppose they'd be Sawnette, or Leerykh, and what they referred to lost in a blizzard of extra letters.

By alr as guest (not verified)
May 14, 2010 1:48 AM

Ditto, Beth.

May 14, 2010 4:51 AM

I like Cadence, but not enough to use. It's always actually struck me as more traditional. I think of it as in line with mainstream Biblical names (because of the Cade in it ) and basically top 100 US names.It seems similar to names like Chloe & Sophie to me.

I wonder what names in 20 years time are going to be the fallers? Maybe it will be names that are in a very close popularity proximity as the mentioned fallers were.

I accidentally posted a reply in the previous post,as I didn't realize that there was a new one. I'm just going to copy it in here, because I put it in the wrong place

re: isobel/isabel

I never used to like IsObel, but now I do. I keep on wanting to add 'le' on to IsAbel. Isobel actually looks more exotic to me, than Isabelle, ironically. IsObel reminds me of Spain and IsAbel/ISabelle makes me thing of English things. I think it's this person that I new that changed the way I looked at IsObel. There's actually a slight difference in pronunciation for me; I really do say 'OH' or 'UH', where some don't.

RE:hipster

I think the thing with hipster, is that it seems that people either view them/it as bold & out of the ordinary (they're positive outliers) OR it's trying too hard & pretentious. So, who uses the word could change the definition.

After looking at Wikipedia, Urban dictionary, the definitions seem to be the same. Afterward, I went looking for a hipster list of names, and I think in terms of being a NE - most don't find them radical.That's why when I made that list of styles previously, it seemed to be too broad a scope.It 'seems' like, after looking at the sites, that most aren't really as original they want to be. That most of the names really just fall under certain styles shared by different people in the name community & all or a lot correlate to different trends.

I could be completely wrong & this is just a theory after looking different things up

RE: alcoholic names

Would you think that person drinks wine/alcoholic drinks if they gave their kid one of those names? And how are they saying Skyy -- is it different from Skye or the same?

RE: RobynT from the previous post
''I think I would assume young parents though. (Is it okay to say that?)''

I think it's fine because it's how you feel & a lot of people probably would as well :)

May 14, 2010 6:09 AM

Confabulation

Eden is very popular by you? Wow, I would have never have thought it'd be that.That's actually my all time favorite girl name

Beth the original

Brilliantly done 'creative' spellings ! Lol

May 14, 2010 8:41 AM

The internal ayden in Kaydence is astounding. I have yet to meet a Kaydence, but know any number of Kay-something names in the preschool set, so I imagine I will eventually come across one.

Does anyone have any insight into why today's parents want names that sound alike but are spelled uniquely? It seems to me that one ought to just make up a name and go for absolutely unique. Does the internet drive us to unique spellings?

May 14, 2010 8:53 AM

I like Cadence for the sound and if I ever used it (though probably not) I'd spell it Kaydence. I love Y's (I have one in my name) and think it looks more complete and pretty that way. Granted, some names with gratuitous extra letters do not but this one does for me.
I don't really "hear" the Aiden in the middle because I make it separate syllables Kay-dence then of course you hear the dense (like dumb)sound but it doesn't bother me that much.

JenniferN-Jennifer did fall. Within the Top 1000 it fell 5.8% Lauren fell 6.8% Ashley and Jessica were also within that range too :(

By AC (not verified)
May 14, 2010 8:56 AM

Interesting article in today's Washington Post about Isabella's rise to the top:
it's a great read...

May 14, 2010 9:20 AM

guest #7,

i think the pop culture reference is from american pie. there's a character named cadence (i don't know how she spells it) in the third one.

By Beth the original (not verified)
May 14, 2010 9:26 AM

Ohhhh, zoerhenne, say it isn't so! Just kidding. I like to hear people stand up for things I disagree with. To me, a "y" looks overdone, and to you, it looks complete. I think that's interesting! I like a gratuitous "e," myself, as in Anne (vs. Ann), Catherine (vs. Kathryn), Jeanne (vs. Jean).

About Eden: I went to school with an Eden in the early 1980s. It was a truly one-of-a-kind name then, with a kind of exotic and mysterious ring to it (the girl whose name it was was stunningly beautiful, which helped). The fact that it tipped toward the dowdier Edith made it even cooler. It's so hard to see it as trendy or overused!

By Jillc (not verified)
May 14, 2010 9:29 AM

Meghan W, good question. Looking at some of the creative spellings, it appears that parents spell the full name a certain way so the NICKname is spelled tradtionally (correctly). For exmaple:

Emmalee --> Emma
Lilyanna --> Lily
Makayla --> Kayla
Katelynn --> Kate

Zoerhenne actually articulated quite well the appeal to some of the more creative spellings. I have a secret soft spot for the -leigh spellings: I remember being disappointed as a kid when I learned that all those letters just spelled 'Lee'. I can see the appeal of wanting to fancy up a simpler name with more letters, ala Marleigh. Is this an offshoot of the Frilliana trend -- the visual frilling of names?

May 14, 2010 9:44 AM

jillc,

my sister's name is haleigh, and i (who rebells against non-traditional spellings) finally reconciled myself to it when i realized it seems that it actually DOES have roots. for example, i just read north and south by elizabeth gaskell, which was written in approximately 1850 i believe, and one of the characters refers to a place called "hayleigh." so that makes me feel quite a bit better about it. at least it wasn't made up in the mid 90s or something.

By Daffy Castilian (not verified)
May 14, 2010 9:47 AM

I think Larksong is on to something: That anyone who deliberately steps out of the mainstream is likely to be viewed one of two ways: as either bold or foolish. 'Hipster' just described a particular style/taste. Those who appreciate it consider it bold and refreshing. Those who don't may call it pretentious. Hipsters' unusual name choices are not accidental; they are truly trying to be different. Whether someone is trying too hard might depend on what you think of their choice, and perhaps how radically different a name is...On the mainstream end of the Hipster Continuum is Henry, Oscar and Felix. Ulysses and .. who knows .. might be more toward the radical end.

May 14, 2010 9:48 AM

I don't really have a problem with lee/leigh endings. It's only when the the dashes, slashes, diacritic marks & COMPLETELY over done embellishments that I have a problem. As long as the grammatical structure of the name is intact i.e. Rylee/Ryleigh then I'm ok with it. Something like Riyelee or Abbygayle irks me a bit

Regarding the 'y' & some similar spellings, to some people, that looks right & it's how they automatically think how to spell it

I had a teacher for 6 years, who still spelled the end of my name with a 'y', though she had seen my name HUNDREDS of times & my name has the traditional spelling.It always boggled me lol

So, I completely get where Zoerhenne is coming from

@Jillc

I love the term 'frilliana' :)

@Beth the original

When I see Jeanne , I think 'JEEN-ee" because of this presenter Jeannie D. When I see Jean, I have to think do they mean JEEN or ZHAN. When it's ZHAN, I'm not sure whether the person is male or female lol

@AC
Thank you for that link ! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it

May 14, 2010 10:00 AM

AC,
i like the link. however, i disagree that no one is picking the name because they're inspired by twilight. maybe a lot of people aren't and maybe no one they talked to is, but if there are people out there who like twilight enough to name their daughter renesmee, then i'm sure there are even more who like it enough to name their daughter isabella.

May 14, 2010 10:07 AM

Beth, Jillc,Larksong, emilyrae-It is a lot about the look of a name to me. Kayleigh, Caylee, and Kayley look fine but Cayly does not at all. Anne looks better than Ann yes but Hailey and Hayleigh and Hayley are about equal as I'm not a big fan of H's. There are so many variations of the ee ending but I tend to agree with Larksong and the "let's at least keep it phonetic" philosophy. Additionally, some names should just stay traditional.

May 14, 2010 10:30 AM

another Laura re. Nicholas -- I have a 1-year-old grandson named Nicholas -- called by the full name or "Nico". Nicholas is kind of '80s/'90s, but it's also a classic male name with a fine history. I loved the name years ago and am happy to have a Nicholas in the family now!

May 14, 2010 10:32 AM

My daughter actually went to camp with a girl named Cadence (spelling unknown) three years ago! The only reason I remember her is that she threw up on the bus once. Doh.

Other than this unfortunate reference, I've not met (nor have I heard of) another Cadence. Can't wait until the school yearbook comes out now, though, as I'll be on the lookout!

May 14, 2010 10:46 AM

AC @16: Thanks for the link. Isabella is a beautiful name, no wonder its #1. I like the full name (not so much Bella) pronounced the English way and also the Spanish way 'ee-sah-BEL-lah'. I know a 12-year-old Isabella with the shortened form of the name "Isa" (EE-sah). I prefer Isa to Bella.

I would love to see a thorough history of the names Elizabeth/Elisabeth and Isabelle/Isabella and all their variants and short forms. How, when and where each form of the name (including Isabeau and Isobel) developed. Maybe I'll have to research it myself someday.

...Just got out my Oxford Dictionary of First Names: I might be able to begin to piece together the history I want by looking at several entries here.

May 14, 2010 10:54 AM

On the Post's Isabella story, I think the real story is that even people who choose the #1 name in America want to make it clear that *they* chose it for different reasons than anybody else. The fear of being part of a crowd runs remarkably deep.

In fact...look for another Washington Post story on that very topic this Sunday. ;-)

By Jillc (not verified)
May 14, 2010 11:10 AM

Laura, I almost forgot -- I was going to post that Cadence was on our short list for DD, but we were going to pick it as an homage to DH's love of cycling. So our claim on the name is CLEARLY stronger and different than other parents' ;).

May 14, 2010 11:12 AM

One of my best friends is an Elizabeth. (Goes by Eliza) She told me back in 2005 or earlier that her top girl's name is Isabel - having Puerto Rican roots and the tie to her own name gives it large appeal for her. I feel bad for her now because I think she's the type to shy away from popular names, and I wouldn't be surprised if Isabella's rise to the top has ruined Isabel for her, even if she doesn't have kids for another 5-10 years. =/

By EVie
May 14, 2010 12:13 PM

I admit that I like Cadence - it's a beautiful word, and I love the musical connection. However, I have to say that Kaydence makes me cringe. I think that there is something much worse about a creative spelling when the name is actually a word that appears in the dictionary.

That Appellation Mountain article on Isobel had one quote that I found particularly interesting. "Many find Isobel akin to Katharine or Elisabeth – variant spellings, yes, but ones that seem more sophisticated, not less." I find to be totally true that there are select variant spellings that seem more sophisticated - I prefer Elisabeth and Catherine, and I don't mind Katharine. Kathryn I find a little less sophisticated than the standard Katherine. I think I feel this way about the -leigh endings too - Ashleigh gets a pass, but Ashlee no no no - there's something about the ee that seems very screechy and juvenile.

Re: Isobel - Larksong, ironically it's completely the other way around - Isabel is the original Spanish version (it came from dropping the first syllable of Elizabeth, then changing the -th ending to -l, which is a more typical ending for a Spanish word). Isabelle is French. Isabella is a Latinized form which became the common form in England. Isobel is the Scottish variant. Counterintuitive, I know.

By EVie
May 14, 2010 12:18 PM

Oh, also - Amanda's trajectory has always been very interesting to me. Doesn't it seem like, phonetically and etymologically, it would fit right into today's style? Lots of As, including starting and ending, Latin origin, kind of frilly. If it hadn't already peaked a generation before, I can totally see it up there with Isabella, Ava, Olivia, Sophia et al.

By alr as guest (not verified)
May 14, 2010 12:24 PM

Under the age of 5, I know multiple Eleanors, multiple Kayla/Kaela/Mikaylas, multiple Emilys, Emmas, Ellas, two Edens, three Evelyns, two Londons....

...but NONE of any of the top 5 risers on this post. So odd.

May 14, 2010 12:27 PM

I was almost called Cadence (I'm 14) but my parents thought it was too similar to my cousin Candice and chose Christina. (My dad has a half brother named Christian, so I'm not sure how that worked out.) When they first told me I thought it was completely made up.

May 14, 2010 12:39 PM

@EVie

Thanks for the info. :) It's weird how the mind works, isn't it? lol

May 14, 2010 12:46 PM

@AC, thanks for the Post article. I'm always amused when people choose one popular name because another popular name is "too popular" as the woman who ultimately chose Isabella over Sophia did. Ah well, both lovely names.

@Laura, can't wait for the next Post article!

Now, I'm off to check state stats. Thanks, @another Laura!

May 14, 2010 12:46 PM

First thing I see with regards to MO (where am I) and our discussion of Nicholas is that it slipped from #27 in 2008 (with 256 babies) to #49 last year (with 178 babies).

May 14, 2010 12:46 PM

EVie-It's interesting that you make the comment about Catherine/Katharine and Kathryn. I find that I pronounce them just slighty different so they are not really the same name to me. A bit like the Sophie/Sophia thing to me. Katharine/Katherine/Catherine/Catharine all have that extra "uh" in the middle. Kathryn/Cathryn knocks that out so it is just Kath-rin not Kath-uh-rin.
And just as a side note, does anyone else have the same thing happen to them as me? When I start to list multiple spellings of the same name, by the time I get to the end of the list NONE of them look correct!

May 14, 2010 1:00 PM

@Zoerhenne

Yep. The one day I wrote all the ways that you spell Caley by using /k/c/ay/ae/ai/leigh/lee/ley and afterwards, I realized that even though it's a popular, normal name, I'd have to ask a Caley how she spells her name !

Ditto the Kathryn/Katherine thing

By Jenny also (not verified)
May 14, 2010 1:22 PM

Confabulation,

I am always impressed and interested in the regional trends. Your note really struck a cord since we just named our son Gabe/Gabriel and Eden is a personal favorite of mine. I think of myself as not on trend at all!

We live in the Northern CA bay area and know no other Gabe's (yet) and the only Eden we know is a mom in her late 30s.

Hugely popular around here are the gang that rhymes with Aidan for boys (or anything that ends in "n" it seems) and the vowel heavy girls names like Ella, Thalia, Sophia, Ava, Olivia, etc. Zoe also seems to be a quickly growing.

May 14, 2010 1:26 PM

to all the people who haven't met anybody with the top rising names,

i think it is probably important to remember (and someone correct me if i'm wrong) that most of these names aren't terribly common yet. certainly nothing like emma or ella (which someone mentioned above). they're just the top rising names, which could mean they slipped from basically non-existent to simply...existent. for example, gael is in the 300s, which really isn't terribly common. it wouldn't be that shocking to have not run into a gael. but on the other hand, some of the others (nevaeh) did get pretty common, so i can see where you're coming from.

May 14, 2010 2:06 PM

also, i've been meaning to ask everyone, the siblings (particularly the sisters) listed in bnw2 for felicity are very off to me. i'm not trying to say that laura is *wrong*; i'm just wondering if my perception of the name is different from the average person's.

so--suggested siblings for felicity:

sisters: willow, piper, patience, meadow, serenity

brothers: sebastian, rowan, landen, zander, dawson

to me, most of those sisters are way off, with the possible exception of patience. i view willow, piper, meadow, and serenity as rather more modern names (not in a bad way), but i see felicity as more antique and quite british. i'd find a sibset of felicity and piper a bit jarring, i think.

sisters that i picture with felicity would be something more akin to...tess, pippa/philippa, hattie/harriet, annabelle, eleanor, and josephine.

the boys are better for me: sebastian and rowan work well for me, and possibly dawson. but zander and landen (particularly those spellings) strike me as very odd. because again, they just seems so much more modern (zander stemming from xander, which stems from alexander, and landen is the less common spelling: it is #207 while landon is #36).

i think i understand *why* some of the siblings were chosen; most of the sisters are "word names" in the way that felicity is but they just don't jive well to me.

but what do you guys think? do i just perceive this name differently than most? (totally possible.) have i been tricked into thinking the name is antique by the american girl doll? (also possible.) i realize it's only recently come into common use in the states, but i feel like it's been around much longer than that. it is listed in laura's "english" names section, so i don't think i'm too off on that point at least.

EDIT: wow, i'm really wordy today...

May 14, 2010 2:09 PM

Emilyrae

Actually , I can get the girl sibset

I've often seen names like Laurel, Rose or Hazel paired with Felicity

I think the other names like Willow & Meadow suit the nature aspects of it. Willow is like Lily,Violet, Rose, Grace etc to me, whereas, Meadow is more modern & a bit hippyish.

Serenity is more of a modern virtue name & Patience is more old-school virtue name. So, they fit the virtue part of it. Piper is a bit of an outlier that can fall in between the two categories.

They strike me as more modern names that can be paired with Felicity, as Felicity fits in with 'old is new' trend.

I get what you mean about the boys. That spelling of Landen doesn't fit in with the others,though the ending sound gives the link. Zander is the outlier

Overall, I COMPLEXLY get what you're saying & think that you have valid points; but, I think they're the contemporary choices that go with it

By PJ
May 14, 2010 2:13 PM

Sibsets at the park yesterday:
Tyrone, Josiah and Talia (Ta-LEE-a)
Kalina and Lola
Chloe and Henry

My daughter just got her acceptance letter for preschool. Here's her classmates:

Mira
Jack
Leo
Stella (x2)
Joaquin
Vihaan
Mariko
Sadie
Quinn (sibling or twin of Sadie)
Sabriya
Arielle
Dashiell
Cassandra
Alma
Lillian

May 14, 2010 2:14 PM

Laura Wattenberg @28: "...the real story is that even people who choose the #1 name in America want to make it clear that *they* chose it for different reasons than anybody else. The fear of being part of a crowd runs remarkably deep."

That may be accurate in some cases, but I think many parents have their very own associations with a name, their own story of why they chose it, and "fear of being part of a crowd" has nothing to do with it for *them*. How often have posters said they liked a name for a very long time and now that it's become very popular, they're conflicted about whether to use the name or not? If they do go ahead and name their baby Jacob, Ethan, Isabella, Emma, Sophia..., it's not because of the name's current popularity, but in spite of it, because it's still their most favorite name with a special association for them. At least that's been true in my family.

Looking forward to the Washington Post story on Sunday. I'm guessing you were interviewed for it. Good for the Post -- they got the best baby name expert by far!

By Anna S (not verified)
May 14, 2010 2:15 PM

EVie - I absolutely agree with you about Isobel and the notion of select, sophisticated spellings. Katherine - with proper articulation - is not the same as Kathryn and proper articulation is indeed an "upper class" thing.

With Elisabeth vs Elizabeth it depends on context and geography for me. The s-form is more common in z-deprived countries such as in Scandinavia where Elizabeth-with-a-z is the more exotic choice.

-leigh and -ey endings are also a big issue. The "wrong" ending can ruin a name for me: Audrey, yes. Audree - no no no! I usually strongly prefer the traditional spelling (when there is one) but there's also an element of "silent differences in pronunciation" which is an issue for be because English is not my first language. In my head (and in Swedish/German/French etc) there is a significant difference between all of those endings (e.g. -ie, -ey and -y) that sound (nearly) the same in English.

Amanda - although there are many a's I think the "right" a-sound is missing. In Aiden, Jaden, Kayla etc. the sound is diphthong-ish /ai/ rather than flat like in Apple.

zoerhenne - if I write a word/name too many times it also begins to look wrong to me. It happened with Sophie yesterday - sup-hay!?!

How is Gael pronounced in English?

By hyz
May 14, 2010 2:20 PM

emilyrae, interesting--and I tend to agree with you, at least on the suggestion of the bnw2 siblings feeling "off". For me, the name actually seems more like something that would have been a bit unusual but would still fit in in my generation (70s-80s)--maybe because of its similarity to Felicia? For sisters, just by style, I'd tend to pair it with things like Melody, Melissa, Amanda, Samantha, Daniela, Angelica--multisyllabic, flowing names with a lot of femininty, all of which have real history, but all of which also fit strongly in the 70s-80s. And for boys, I don't know, more standard things like Alexander, Nicholas, Christopher, and maybe more "trendy" choices of that era, like Jordan, Jacob, or Taylor. Is felicity Laura's daughter's name? Or felice? I seem to remember her mentioning it once here. If so, perhaps that colors her perception of it?