LinkedIn Tells Us the Names that Sell

Apr 27th 2011

PR reps often send me "exciting sneak previews!" of name-related announcements. A company realizes that it has a list of names (typically clients), and figures that it can get some publicity by slicing and dicing the list and revealing the "names most likely to" -- to get rich, get married, get a job.

I'm all for new name data, but most of these pitches end up in my trash folder. Some are just junk, like the folks trying to peddle data on adults with land lines as baby name info. Many others share a subtler flaw: they're reporting demographic effects in the guise of name effects. A finding that, say, Susans have higher average incomes than Maddisons tells you a lot more about age than names. (A 2005 Barclays Bank press release gives you an sample of this genre.)

At first glance, LinkedIn's new report on the typical names of different professions follows the demographic fallacy. For instance, take a look at the historical popularity of names they report as over-represented among CEOs vs. athletes. (CEO names are on the top, athletes on the bottom.)

The red lines show the the popularity peaks of the two lists, a generation apart -- 1950s vs. 1980s. This just in: CEOs are older than athletes! Umm, yeah.

Other LinkedIn name lists are proxies for ethnicity. Engineers, for example, are disproportionately named Rajesh, Ravi,and Vijay; restaurateurs are named Thierry, Philippe and Laurent. I don't consider this a name story at all. It just says that there are a lot of Indian engineers and French chefs.

But not all the LinkedIn data is that simple. Buried in the profession lists are a few insights that you couldn't glean from a table of ages and ethnic origins. Take a look at the top names of American salespeople. (The full lists are actually global, but through the quirks of LinkedIn's geographic reach half the names on the sales list are American and half Danish/Swedish. I've skipped the Jespers, Fredriks and Henriks for this discussion, but Scandinavian readers are welcome to chime in on them!)

Most Overrepresented Names in Sales:

Chip
Todd
Trey
Chad
Brad

There are certainly demographic tendencies in that list of swift little names. The names are most common in the upper Midwest and largely white. But the sales list is different from the CEOs and athletes in key ways. It has a somewhat broader age spread. It's heavier on "names of choice" -- names like Chip and Trey which don't necessarily come from your birth certificate. And significantly, it's not a list of super-popular choices that cut a broad swath through their generations. The sales names are defined by style. They're not just demographic profiles, they're personality profiles.

Look at Chip, the #1 most typical name of salespeople. It's a nickname, preppy but not elitist, confident but not cocky, and above all chipper. It's a name that strides up to you with an open, ingratiating smile, hand offered in warm greeting. And the other sales names walk right in its footsteps. Reading them, don't you feel a sudden impulse to join in a round of golf?

Is it nature or nurture? Parents who call their sons Chip and Todd are likely to share certain qualities of background, taste, perhaps income and personality as well. Their upbringings might have been conducive to warm handshakes and golfing. In the case of nicknames, the individual's own choice to stick with Chip or Trey could also reflect a personal style suited to sales.

But couldn't the names themselves have helped nudge them in that career direction? Short names, especially nicknames, tend to make men sound friendly, approachable and likeable. Couldn't a lifetime spent sounding friendly and approachable help you feel at ease meeting new people, as a salesman must? And wouldn't a school advisor or an employer reviewing resumes find it easy to picture Chip and Todd in sales? Or perhaps the friendly name gave the young Chips just enough of a leg up in their early sales efforts to encourage them to make a career of it...and to post their sales profile to LinkedIn.

Comments

April 27, 2011 10:11 AM

Laura-Could it also have something to do with the length of the name itself? Wouldn't it be easier for a guy on the phone (or in person) to say "Hi, my name is Al and I wish to discuss such and such with you" rather than saying "Hi my name is Aloysius (Al-o wish-us). If I heard that, the first thing I would think is wow that's a mouthful of a name. Or how do you spell that? rather than worry about what it was he was trying to sell me.

Speaking of names in the media, have you seen the new phone commercial where the guy is talking about getting his mom a cell phone? He sees the signage and thinks great his mom would love a phone and videos of the grandkids, etc. Then he thinks wait I don't have kids, and if I did what would I name them. He decides Brian is a respectable name. Then goes in to by the phone. Cracks me up every time. I like the name Brian but why was that chosen by the ad execs.

April 27, 2011 10:18 AM

What are the top women's names in sales?

By Essy01 (not verified)
April 27, 2011 10:32 AM

maybe it's just me, but the 'sales person' names all sound shady to me - and maybe it is because they are all sales person typeish names and I have some weird perspective on sales people or something - but definitely agree with the article - those names bring a certain person to mind when i hear them

related to @zoerhenne's comment I was watching Fast & Furious the other day and Paul Walker's character is named Brian - and I was odd hearing that name on television - the only other Brian on TV I can think of is Brian from Family Guy - but I like the name in general - and granted Paul Walker's character was named back in 2001 - it just felt odd to me.

April 27, 2011 4:56 PM

Quick vote please ..... Which is a better pairing:

Phoebe Aurora ( aw roo ruh)
Or
Phoebe Astoria ( uh store ee uh .... Which is how 9 have been saying it lol )

Thanks!

April 27, 2011 5:03 PM

@zoers

I actually came across an Aloysius in my newspaper one. I think he went by a nn like LOki or something

Fab article as always , Laura

bY the way, I am the same LArksong .... But I had Pc problems and messes ip passwords so it wa easier to just make a new account lol..... I just changed the username spelling a bit so everyone who's know who I was

By the way, I was SO excited when I came across a BLair in my newspaper he other day .... As most of you know, it's been a long time Favourite

April 27, 2011 5:16 PM

One more thing: I think we really made the right decision in keeping Olive's name from our parents until after she was born. My MIL called my SIL and told her, "Why didn't you talk them out of that name?" And my parents, it seems, didn't know it was a "real" name. My mom came home from work one day and was like, "My coworker said it's an old-fashioned name." I think she thought we made it up or something? They had only ever heard it on Olive Oyl. We are getting a lot of Olive Oyl comments; I'm hoping people will get that out of their system... maybe that's overly optimistic.

Of course everyone is ultimately fine with the name and getting used to it and things like that.

By KristinFromSC (not signed in) (not verified)
April 27, 2011 5:39 PM

RobynT:
I've not been keeping up with reading all of the blog comments as well recently so I didn't realize that you went with Olive for your baby. I think it's great. People will get used to it.

By GuestMissy (not verified)
April 27, 2011 5:56 PM

There is some sort of Sales culture that encourages short names. My father's name is Arthur and he does not introduce himself with a nickname , but for some reasn his clients and coworkers call him Art. I have never heard him call himself Art.

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
April 27, 2011 6:17 PM

Those sales names sound very American to me, very football QB, popular, jocky guys with perfect teeth and golden hair. Although I bet a lot of them didn't age as well, if the salesmen I've come across is any indication!

@Zoerhenne I think you're on to something about the shortened name theory. Definitely makes sense.

@RobynT: First off, congratulations! I adore the name Olive and much prefer it to Olivia, which I read earlier you've already been getting. People will definitely get the "Olive Oyl" out of their systems and unless Hollywood decides to do another remake, I'm quite certain that most of Olive's peers won't know the reference, or at least it won't be strong enough to be a first reaction.

I know what you mean about being thankful for not talking about the name. When we announced our eldest's name to the grandparents, my MIL cried "I knew you'd choose a name I couldn't spell!", my mother was very concerned that he would be teased because of Attica prison (she watches way too much Law and Order!), and my father said, "Atticus? What kind of name is that? I don't like it. I'm going to call him George!" (which is our son's middle name, my FIL's name). Luckily, they all came around pretty quickly. My FIL's reaction? "Why'd you give him George? I never liked my name." Sigh.

@LarkSong: I prefer the name Aurora to Astoria, although I pronounce it slightly differently Ah-roar-ah (I grew up with a family friend who pronounce it that way).

By Pipe-o (not verified)
April 27, 2011 7:08 PM

This is a name that I currently love, but am not sure how well it would work in real life. What do you think about naming a girl Gabrielle Grace, but calling her Gabbie Grace for short. Would that work? Also, I don't love Gabbie alone, but how likely would it be for the Grace part to just be dropped for convenience once she starts school, sports, etc. Thank you!!!

By lillo (not verified)
April 27, 2011 7:20 PM

this is interesting. I'm not sure if I am really into a name that helps you in your path to reaching a certain career, however, as you may have noticed, I am trying to find a name that sounds friendly and nice, yet still strong.

Which sounds more approachable/friendly
p.s. these are all girl names

Jane or Grace
Julia or Jacky
Amanda or Linden
Lucy or Rose
Ella or Adaline
Piper or Pierce
Ruby or Kate

Thanks!!!

April 27, 2011 7:25 PM

@LarkSong: I like the name Aurora (I also pronounce it Ah-roar-ah) better than Astoria, but I think that Phoebe Astoria is the better sounding combination.

@Pipe -o: In my opinion, Gabbie Grace is too long for a nickname. My mom calls me Alli Anne sometimes, but its never something I've been called by anyone else. I'd say if you don't like just Gabbie, don't go with it in any form.

April 27, 2011 9:03 PM

LArksong-Welcome back! I will echo the others comments in that I think Phoebe Aurora is best.

Pipeo-I think I might desire a different -elle name to go with Grace such as Danielle Grace. Dani Grace sounds fine.

lillo-These are my picks.
Jane
Julia
Amanda
Lucy
Ella
Piper
Kate

April 27, 2011 9:07 PM

I went to school with a Gabrielle, that we always called Gabrielle. No one really wanted to call her Gabbie--it sounded too much like we'd think she was too talkative. Gabs was used on occasion. But yeah, you can't control nicknames.

Congrats to RobynT on Olive! Lately, I've been thinking of Olivia Dunham from the TV show Fringe, who went by Olive as a child.

Regarding the salesperson names-yeah, they'll choose something short and simple that makes them sound just a bit more friendly. One syllable is about the limit.

I'd go with Phoebe Astoria. Although, admittedly, my mind immediately wants to throw out a bunch of extra suggestions with different cadences.

lillo: My choices for each pair would be Grace, Julia, Amanda, Lucy, Adaline, Piper, Kate. Pierce is quite firmly a male name for me.

April 27, 2011 9:08 PM

I also suspect there's something in sales culture. It's far from my own world, but I'd be willing to bet there are a number of Rashids going by Ron and Logans going by Chip because they know that names like that help them to make a sale.

Fifteen years ago I read through "Dress for Success for Women" and discovered that this sort of thing is common in clothing too. For example, an accountant mentioned in the book increased her clientele by wearing stodgier clothing -- apparently people think of reliable accountants as boring people, so fitting the stereotype helped her career. Why not do the same with a name?

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
April 27, 2011 9:27 PM

@Pipe-o, I agree that Gabbie Grace feels too long for a nickname, at least one that you'd hope others would use. I have a pet name for my youngest that's longer than his name, but wouldn't expect (or want, actually!) anyone else to use it. I'd be worried that if you tried to have others call her that, soon enough they would drop the Grace, and because you're not fond of Gabbie by itself, I would shy away from it. That said, I do think it's quite endearing and I do like Gabrielle on its own, too.

@lillo My choices are:
Jane (though I have an Aunty Grace who is lovely, so I have very positive associations with that name, too)
Julia
Amanda (I feel Linden is more a boy's name)
Ella or Adaline (tie!)
Piper
Kate

April 27, 2011 9:40 PM

@ lillo
Here are my picks:
Grace (for some reason neither name strikes me as overly friendly, though)
Julia
Amanda
Lucy
Ella
Piper
Ruby

April 27, 2011 10:08 PM

Larksong: I prefer Phoebe Aurora. I think I tend toward the shorter, simpler.

lillo: My votes:
JANE or Grace
Julia or JACKY
Amanda or Linden
LUCY or Rose
Ella or Adaline
PIPER or Pierce
Ruby or KATE
undecided on the rest... I think I might go with Linden (I guess the '80s made me associate Amanda with snobby girls?) and Ella (b/c shorter)

By fancynancy (not verified)
April 28, 2011 1:23 AM

I was really surprised that length of the name wasn't even mentioned! The first thing I thought of when I read that list was "One syllable - short, sweet, and to the point." And of course, all are very American names. I have Uncles Todd and Brad, but Todd is a lawyer and Brad is a chef. I'm sure you're name determines who you grow up be a little bit, but it's probably not the most important factor.

April 28, 2011 9:27 AM

Thanks! Sorry for the typos etc .... I was using my iPod last night to comment.

RE: Aurora
I used to say it as aw-roar-ruh and then I found out that it's apparently aw-roo--ruh and I became friends with an Aurora who used the roo pronunciation . I think a lot of people probably use the ''roar'' pronunciation as well

@lilio
Jane or Grace --- Jane
Julia or Jacky --- Julia
Amananda or Linden ---Linden
Lucy or Rose -- could go either.I prefer Lucy
Ella or Adaline ----Ella
Piper or Pierce ---Piper which I adore
Ruby or Kate ---- Ruby

Ella,Ruby and Piper all sound like ''spunky.vibrant people''... very confident and aka friendly

RE: Gabbie Grace
If it's meant to be a double barrelled name, my own preference is to hyphenate it (I have a name like this), but I totally understand as to why many don't like. As a pairing, it sounds really sweet, but I don't know if it's something that would be used by many as a nickname, as names do tend to be shortened. I could see it becoming just ''Gabbie' etc as a nn, unless emphasized to be called Gabbie Grace. It doesn't sound bad at all,though. You could maybe go for ABigail Grace , as in Abbie Grace if you like the sound.

April 28, 2011 10:12 AM

I can totally see these names being used by salespeople (and even, as someone said ^^, that people would use them -- or names like them -- professionally if their given names were different). They hit that sort of "all-American" vibe that I think would be beneficial for a salesperson -- short; friendly; approachable; easy to say, spell, and remember.

@L@rk_S0ng, I prefer Phoebe Astoria. I feel like Phoebe benefits from a mn that's less vowel-rich.

Re: the pronunciation of Aurora, I only find variations of the uh-roar-ruh pronunciation online -- the variation being whether the the /Au/ is pronounced /uh/ or /awe/; the /roar/ part is always pronounced that way (never /roo/).

@Pipe-o, if you dislike Gabbie I wouldn't choose Gabrielle. I do think Gabbie Grace would inevitably be shortened by some to Gabbie, and it's possible your daughter would prefer Gabbie.

@lillo, here are my picks:
JANE or Grace
Julia or JACKY
Amanda or LINDEN
LUCY or Rose
ELLA or Adaline
PIPER or Pierce
Ruby or KATE

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
April 28, 2011 11:33 AM

I'm looking for some help, NEs. We're expecting our third child in September. We're not going to find out the gender and we'll probably do what we did with our first two--be prepared with a strong shortlist of about 5-8 first names and wait to see meet the baby before settling in on a name. Both times, we ended up with names that friends had suggested, so I thought I should turn to the experts! ;)

Our boys are @tticus and @vner. We did not really want to do the same letter, but it ended up that way. My sister tells me that the third child needs to have an A name, too, so s/he won't feel left out, but I don't want to look like a mini-Duggar, you know, and my impulse is to stay away from A names (though I love so many of them!) Would love to know your thoughts on that.

The chidren's last name is both our LNs, no hyphen. D@chs3l K3rr (pronounced D@xel and K3rr rhyming with fir). So, I'd love to hear some first name suggestions, names that will go with the boys' names. I'm bit at a loss so far and my husband is even worse!

Thanks in advance!

By mk (not verified)
April 28, 2011 11:54 AM

@L@rk_S0ng: I prefer Phoebe Aurora, but only because I think of the NY neighborhood when I hear Astoria. I have never heard Aurora pronounced anything but -roar. So even if you want to pronounce it as -roo most people won't unless told to.

@Pipe-o: Gabbie Grace is a long name for a nickname and will be shortened, especially as a teen. If you don't like Gabbie, Gabrielle won't work (though the two Gabrielles I know always go by Gabrielle).

@lillo: the only pair I feel strongly choosing one over the other is Piper over Pierce. the others can really go either way, I think.

April 28, 2011 12:45 PM

@Amy 3
Thanks!

That's really ironic, as when i first aw the name, I pronounced it as everyone else here has : except I say AW-rore-uh as opposed to 'ah' or some variant. I even looked it up and then my friend referred to it as ''roo'' ruh, which is why I swapped the pronunciation. Doubly ironic, is that I had to actually retrain myself to like it as ''roo' as I had really liked ''rore''.

Just out of curiosity, if you all had to choose between the ROO and ROARR, would the pick still be Phoebe Aurora?

@Mk
I'm not really worried about people mispronouncing middle names one day, as the names are hardly ever used.

I haven't done this for awhile, but here are some names from my local newspaper this last week:

Shirley
Henk
Masila (muh-see-luh)
Gracious
Mulhan
Lolo
Nduduzi (n(click sound) duh-doo-zee)
Innocent
Bengina
Luleka (loo-leh-kuh)
Josina
Jeanrett (jeen-ret or zhan-rhett)
Eunice
Jop (yawp)
Melda
Blair
Boet
Isak (ee-suck)
Gerda

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
April 28, 2011 1:09 PM

@Larksong Where are you? I'm guessing not in North America. I'm wondering if the difference in pronunciation of Aurora is more a difference of accents than anything else. Are you in South Africa? The list you gave is interesting, very diverse. And the one name that really stood out for me was Shirley! I have a cousin with that name (she's in her early 40s and in NZ), but I was at my FIL's 75th birthday two weeks ago and there were four Shirley's! It's not one I've heard on little ones...yet!

April 28, 2011 2:01 PM

Larksong-Using the "roo" pronunciation makes me dislike both of them. Sorry. Maybe Octavia?

Yet another Guest-Hmm to go with your other two and your LN as well I would offer these:
Austin/ August(us)
Oliver; Phineas; Lucian
Talia (tall ya)
Lucretia nn Lucy
Magdalena nn Maggie
Aurelia; Portia
I seem to have stumbled on a pattern here I like for you. Boys names with or ending in-s; girls names ending in -uh sound.

April 28, 2011 2:15 PM

@Zoerhenne

RE: Octavia
I'll have to politefully decline ;)

@Yet Another Guest

Yep. I am the South African who posts on here when I get a chance.

The list I gave is from last week and those were the names I thought would be of the most interest. I swear Isak is around me everywhere!

The age of the people I mentioned are from babies to golden oldies. They're also from all the races and languages.

RE: Aurora
Actually, I used to say it as ROAR and have heard other Saffa's say it as ROAR (there's an area somehwere called Aurora) .... so, it would depend on the area. My friend was actually a net bud and I might just have misunderstood her or hers was a particular. This confuses me, as I had looked it up before and seen it as RORE. Fortunately, I actually preferred ROAR, so it isn't a train smash... if anything, the train staid on the rails!

THIS week's newspaper additions that I thought might interest you all. TAKE NOTE , these span all races, ages and languages, as I don't live in a very ''English'' area, so pronunciations are subject to change:

Samkelo
Hendro
Moya
Elriet
Jeantique
Lee-Jamie
Christelize (cris-tel-leez)
Jayden (my first one,I think!)
Enough
Neo (nay-oh)
Noluthand
Unathi
Marang

There were mixed in between the Richard,James, Marcus etc (the more ''standard'' traditional)

By hyz
April 28, 2011 2:50 PM

Larksong, I think "roar" and "rore" are the same, as roar rhymes with fore, wore, sore, etc. I agree that "roo" sounds like either a very particular accent that I haven't heard before (I'm trying to think who might say it like this--maybe a thick Scottish accent or something?) or just an idiosyncratic pronunciation or miscommunication.

By Barnacle (not verified)
April 28, 2011 3:34 PM

Hi, all--

Do you think Ned works as a stand-alone name, or do you assume it's a nickname when you hear it? We are going to name our baby Ned and are planning on officially giving him a longer form, but it occurred to me that other people may think it works on its own.

Thanks!

By Heather A. (not verified)
April 28, 2011 4:03 PM

lillo:

Jane
Jacky
Amanda
Lucy
Ella
Piper (but possibly only because it's paired with Pierce..... Pierce?)
Ruby

These are fun little "quizzes" you've been posting.

April 28, 2011 4:06 PM

Regarding Aurora:

Part of how you say it definitely depends on your accent. I grew up in Central/Northern California, and "ah" and "aw" have the same sound, as do "roar" and "rore". So it's definitely ah-ROAR-uh (or aw-RORE-ruh, or whatever) to me.

Yet Another Guest:

I'll second zoerhenne's recommendations, and add Lavinia and Gaius to the list.

By Heather A. (not verified)
April 28, 2011 4:10 PM

RobynT:

Congratulations!

Olive is a lovely name.

April 28, 2011 4:25 PM

Just to clarify , ROAR/RORE are exactly the same to me. Sorry, I didn't mean to open a can of worms!

April 28, 2011 5:17 PM

To further clarify, I make no distinction between horse and hoarse, but some New Englanders (especially in Maine and Vermont) do. I am from the Mid-Atlantic originally, and I make a definite distinction between caught and cot and among merry/marry/Mary, and many Midwesterners do not. In my dialect Erin and Aaron do not sound remotely alike and the Harry/hairy puns don't work (just as well). Throughout the English-speaking world, the vowels are very mutable, to put it mildly.

The fact of the matter is that if children grow up and leave their home dialect area, there's no controlling how their names will be pronounced. In my own case, I have always (from birth) been called Mimi (Mee-mee). My paternal aunts, who spent their early childhoods in NYC on the Lower East Side, persisted, to my dismay and over my vociferous objections, in calling me Mimm-ee (Mimm- as in dim). Not a thing I could do about it except retaliate by calling my Aunt Lee (legal--and hated--name Lena) Tante Leah (Lay-ah) which she despised, although, of course, Leah was her real name.

April 28, 2011 5:19 PM

Barnacle-I think that Ned can be both a stand alone and a nn. Most of you will find this funny, but I can't remember exactly WHAT it is a nn of though. Edward, Edmund? They're all nice so no matter.

And speaking of gratuitous Y's I came across 2 in a newsletter today--Em3rcyn and Dany3lie. Two different families btw.

By PJ
April 28, 2011 5:37 PM

as for Gabrielle, I know a small one. Her parents were quite clear that she was never to be called Gabby so friends took to calling her Gabe. I think it's super cute!

By Barnacle (not verified)
April 28, 2011 5:45 PM

Thanks, zoerhenne. It's a nickname for the Ed- names. We are planning to use Edmond. When I've mentioned it to a few people they had a reaction like yours--not knowing what it was a nn for, which made me wonder if people even really viewed it as a nn. I like the nickname a lot more than the longer forms, and we would exclusively call him that. That said, I tend to like to give a kid the option of a longer, formal name for later in life.

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
April 28, 2011 5:46 PM

I'll second what Miriam said about having no control over how names are pronounced in the wider world. I have a name that is much more common in Scandinavia than in North America, although it is often credited in baby books as being Spanish. I love it when Europeans pronounce my name--it's always so much prettier than when friends do!

@Barnacle - I usually side on giving the child a full name and not a nickname, but with Ned, I think it can stand alone. It's funny, my sister and I were discussing Ned the other day and she had no idea that it was a shortened version of another name. I told her (erroneously) that it was short for Theodore. Regardless, she thought it was a name in its own right. I think if you love it and will be calling him Ned anyway, go for it!

@Zoehenne Thanks for the list! I'll have to mull on it, but some I know I wouldn't have even thought about. For my first two I really wanted names that didn't have obvious nicknames, but I'm softening on that stance this time.

April 28, 2011 6:00 PM

Penelope
Georgia
Opal
Celeste
Cassandra
and I second Aurelia

By fancynancy (not verified)
April 28, 2011 6:49 PM

@Barnacle, I definitely think Ned could stand alone, but you should definitely use it as a nickname. Growing up, I absolutely hated my name, and my name is already a nickname, although I think now it's more common as a given name. I always used to wish I had nickname options to try out. Of course now, I love my name, so it worked out, but I definitely wish I'd had the option to try out other things. That said, Ned is adorable!

By Kern (not verified)
April 28, 2011 8:14 PM

I like Phoebe Aurora, but only when not pronounced like "roo". Astoria reminds me of the New York neighborhood too much, but maybe in S. Africa that's not an issue for you.

I think Gabby Grace is a great name but might be on the long side to get people to use consistently.

While Ned could stand on its own, I would give him a more formal name. Supreme Court Justice Ned ___ sounds a bit casual for me. Edmond is much more dignified sounding.

Yet Another Guest, I don't think you necessarily need to use an A name for baby 3.

To Chimu and others who asked on the last thread about my "list": Ansel is the only boy name we've discussed. I also like Theo (which DH has nixed.) For girls (some of which are not real contenders due to last name): Anneli (AH-nuh-lee), Liesl, Hazel, Maizie, Beatrix, Astrid are a few I like. What's on your list?

By Jew Jenny (not verified)
April 28, 2011 11:04 PM

The Excedrin ad is giving me a headache!!! I guess, that's one way for them to sell more product.

April 29, 2011 12:08 AM

In the spirit of the LinkedIn article, 3 of the 32 players selected in the first round of today's NFL draft are named Cameron. Make of that what you will.

April 29, 2011 2:02 AM

@YANG - congratulations! I would definitely go with a non-A name this time. It's not a deal breaker but I think that 2 A's and then something different is quite nice...... I love a lot of the suggestions given by others, let me see what I can also suggest:
Boys:

Acacia
Araminta
Zinnia
Briar
Ingrid
Theadora

Are any of these hitting the mark?

@Barnacle, I think you could do just Ned (how long is your surname though?) but I much prefer the option of a more formal first name on the birth certificate even if it never gets used. I think Edmond is great and would strongly vote for that on the certificate rather than 'just Ned'. Ned is a gorgeous name though :)

@Kern, we do have similar style! I like both Ansel and Theo (Theodore) for boys although neither is at the top of my list. I'd say my favourites for boys are Soren, Silas, Cormac, Casper and Hugo.
My girls list has Hazel and Astrid (top contender) on it and Anneliese (although I do like Anneli too). My current favourites for girls are probably still Cordelia, Clementine and Astrid...... now just to convince the husband (our baby girl is due in June!).

By Kern (not verified)
April 29, 2011 8:01 AM

Chimu, great lists that I could steal! I love Silas, Cormac and Clementine especially out of those.

By Barnacle (not verified)
April 29, 2011 10:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think we will stick with Edmond nn Ned. We've decided on this for quite a while but are running back through our options in the final couple of weeks before his arrival.

By Rylo (not verified)
April 29, 2011 2:19 PM

These are a few names that I like. Which is your favorite? They are all for girls

Saylor
Everly
Carson
Teagen
Tatum
Hadley

thanks!!!

By AnnaBananna (not verified)
April 29, 2011 2:31 PM

I have a list of my favorite names ever. Now, I need just one baby girl name. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me which names they like best from my list. Please rank these names 1-7

Addie Rose
Natalie Reid
Grace Ryder
Amelia Reese
Claire Rylin
Madeline Rowan (said MAD-uhh-lynn)
Hannah Ruby

Thanks!!!

April 29, 2011 4:05 PM

Rylo-They are all the same for me style-wise. I don't personally think I could use Saylor or Hadley but they aren't bad names. Carson, Tatum, and Teagan can accomodate a nn unlike the other two as well. I guess I would pick Teagan (tay-gun) as the best. Carson is a bit boy and Tatum O'Neal is all I can think about with that one.

AnnaBananna-Congrats if this is for a real baby. Those are pretty names and quite my style. FYI, I have a N@talie R3nee (obvious substitutions). You may like that combo for yourself. If not, I would pick this order of favs:
Claire Rylin