The Most-Hated Baby Names in America

Apr 21st 2011

[Note (05/03/11): Since I wrote this blog post, it has been picked up by a variety of media outlets -- often without context or explanation of the methodology. Much of the reporting has been guided by the post's unfortunately extreme title. To clarify, this column discusses the results of an informal survey of internet discussions, to gauge which names generated the most negative mentions. The names listed aren't "bad" or necessarily even unpopular. In fact, many of them are highly popular, well-loved names that some people are simply getting tired of. In other cases, the negative reactions reflect different cultural perspectives on a single name. Bentley, for instance, is generally seen negatively by people who hear it as a stuffy surname or a luxury car brand. It's seen positively by people who hear it as an easygoing neo-Southern name, via country singer Dierks Bentley. I believe that the existence of strongly divided opinions like these is a meaningful variable in understanding a name's impact and place in our culture.]

Which baby names do people like the most? You can answer that with a glance at the top of the baby names popularity chart. Which names do people loathe most? That's a trickier question. There's no such thing as the "least popular name." (Dogbreath? Margitudinal? Sxsddhwwwb? It's a many-way tie.)

What's more, the most-hated name might well be a popular one. Some names just provoke strong reactions, whether retching or swooning. In fact, popularity itself can be held against a name.

To capture negative name feelings, I scoured the web for conversations about baby names people can't stand. I skipped the "what's the worst name you've ever heard" freak shows (Felanie, Ima Hogg, La-a). My target was everyday baby-name negativity: the "normal" baby names that, for whatever reason, set your teeth on edge.

I ended up tallying the viewpoints of hundreds of U.S. messageboard participants, comprising almost 1,500 name mentions. Many of the discussions were on parenting forums, but a good number were simply chatter on forums of diverse kinds. The results are below. Spellings are combined in the count, listing the name under its most-mentioned form. I've also included comments on what people objected to about each name, which often point to themes that resonate beyond the individual name.

My goal in this is NOT to bash anyone's name. It's simply to track and describe the negative sentiment out there, as one more piece of information for parents weighing name choices.

GIRLS

1. Nevaeh (47 mentions). A landslide winner, no surprise. In the most recent edition of my book, I wrote "Nevaeh may be the most stylistically divisive name in America." Grounds for objection included look, sound and origin, the whole package.

2 (tie). Destiny (16). This name seemed to run afoul of two groups: people annoyed by "virtue names," and people who grouped it with other dreamy choices like Heaven and Candy as "stripperish."

2 (tie). Madison (16). The negative reactions to this name were particularly strong, especially in non-standard spellings. Reasons were seldom given; it just seemed to grate on people.

4. Mackenzie (13). Often presented in a group with other Mc- names, which several posters described as "low class."

5. McKenna (9). See Mackenzie above.

6 (tie). Addison (8). Sometimes grouped with Madison, and sometimes held as an example of the #1 most-cited loathing category: "boys' names used for girls."

6 (tie). Gertrude (8). When the conversation focused on "ugly" names, old-fashioned Germanic names like Gertrude, Bertha and Helga ruled.

6 (tie). Kaitlyn (8). The poster child for the #2 most common objection: "made-up spellings." Some people specifically exempted the classic spelling Caitlin from their wrath.

6 (tie). Makayla (8).  See Mackenzie above.

10 (tie). Bertha (7). See Gertrude above.

10 (tie). Hope (7). To my surprise, the objection to virtue names extended to traditional choices like Hope, Faith and Grace.

BOYS

1. Jayden (23). The overwhelming theme for boys' names was a backlash against the rhyming -ayden family. Many felt there were just too many of these names, and "it's getting really old." Others said the names sounded too childish or feminine. The names were often mentioned as a group, but Jayden was frequently singled out.

2. Brayden (16).

3 (tie). Aiden (15).

4 (tie). Kaden (15). See Jayden above.

5. Hunter (9). Objections included "should only be a last name" and "too violent."

6. Hayden (8). Part of the -ayden family but mentioned much less often than the others. It seems to be considered a little more mature and established-sounding than the rest of the clan.

7 (tie). Bentley (7). A lot of contempt was shown in mentions of this name, as people considered the luxury-car association "trashy."

7 (tie). Tristan (7). Described as "fakey" and "unlikeable."

9. Michael (6). The whipping boy for people who scorned "common" names. Names like Matthew, Sarah and Emily also came up several times. (Notably, they were the most likely names to be defended by others in the conversation.)

10. Jackson (5). No consistency to the reasons. Some grouped it with Peyton as "way too trendy," others with Jack as "old-fashioned and worn out." This was the one name where I didn't collapse spellings, since the several people who mentioned Jaxon objected to it solely on basis of spelling.

Other Notables:

- At least three mentions apiece were tallied for Kayla, Kaylin, Kyle, Kyler and Kylie along with the high scores for Kaitlyn and Makayla, suggesting negativity toward that general sound category.

- Two statistically unlikely names ranked just outside the top 10. Star is a very rare name, so the fact that it occurred to so many people suggests particularly active negativity. Tiffany peaked back in the 1980s. That it's still mentioned so often as a disliked baby name leads to me suspect it may have been the "Nevaeh" of its generation.

P.S. If Your Favorite Name is Listed Above...

Sorry to freak you out! Don't go tearing up your name list yet.

First off, remember that "loved" and "loathed" are often two sides of the same coin. Anything that scales the heights of fashion attracts attention and becomes a target for contrarians. Many of the names listed are simply victims of their own success. In fact, almost every name in the top 10 for boys or girls received at least one "hate it" vote. Realistically, your little Aiden and Addison will be comfortably in the fashion mainstream, and any currents of negativity will flow right by them.

As for rarer names like Bentley that set off disproportionate levels of bad vibes, in the end you have to choose the name YOU think is best. Just consider this list a heads-up that some folks may respond badly to your beloved name. Forewarned is forearmed.

Comments

By Andre (not verified)
May 5, 2011 9:06 PM

For me they depend on the gender.

Boys: generally old fashioned overused names like Michael, John, Jonathan, Nathan, Robert, George, Frank, Harold, Matthew, Christopher, Richard...

For girls it's unisex names that started as boys names, such as Kelly, Ashley, Riley, Avery, Alexis, Madison, Bailey, Aubrey, Mackenzie, Kenley, Finley, Quinn, Emery, Lindsay, Leslie, Dakota, Paris...

By Karen988554 (not verified)
May 6, 2011 12:03 AM

I don't like when people mock names its cruel and disrespectful.People have lived their whole lives with this names, you should be ashamed.Even Ms. Laura says that they can be loved and loathed. I think Mackenzie is a beautiful name.

By Quin (not verified)
May 6, 2011 3:53 AM

Thank you to the people who have defended me, as I have only been standing up for what is right and against what I feel is gravely wrong. Atlas has mentioned that no one knows about the article, well that is simply not true, Luara made sure that by giving a personal interview with livescience, that the article they wrote would then reference her article and be a massive explosion on the internet. As I said in the beginning I was going to set up google alerts and I did, I am STILL getting alerts on new articles spawning from her fraudulent article. Patricia was quick to defend and praise Laura for writing somewhat of a clarification...however the minor clarification was nothing, it did nothing to resolve the miscommunication, I said what Laura needs to do and I still feel the same way, admit you made a mistake in the title, that it has been misunderstood and contact EVERY media outlet that ran the story. If you were writing a peice in a newspaper or magazine about someone, and what you wrote was misleading, they would then sue you or threaten to sue you and you would then have to publically retract the story....so why is it that your not being forced to do that with your article? Because these are names, names that cant stand up for themselves against lies and misconception...you are supposed to be an author of names, dont you owe it names to be fair? Where is your ethics? Where is responsibility to expectant parents and the general readers? Do you not have any shame in the disgusting nature of the article? Do you not have any remorse for making parents of these names feel like they have made a horrible choice and destined their child to a bad future? Do you not have any concern for new moms who may be thrown into serious naming remorse and as a result post partum depression? Do you realize how serious this can be for new moms? Laura Wattenberg you are disgusting as a human being and as a writer, to be so thoughtless of others is why I am disgusted. All of your avid followers and fans are just as ruthless...the way they have taunted, teased, made fun of names, they are no better and I would wager that they are cowards in real life, people that wouldnt dare say those things to my face or anyone elses...its amazing how disgusting human behavior can be when its behind an article or computer....

To all of those who support my stance, please take a few minutes and google the articles and write in the comments section and even write to the authors and demand that they investigate and question Luaras article, she shouldnt be able to get away with this.

By Alexandra Goicoechea (not verified)
May 6, 2011 4:44 AM

A name that I hate is Alexandria, like the city in Egypt. Nowhere in the world to people this Alexandria is the actual name instead of Alexandra. Alexandria is totally ghetto to me, and I have never wanted to have keep having a conversation with anybody who has called me that.

By Katrinab98 (not verified)
May 6, 2011 9:15 AM

When I was a barber, I always knew when boys with "J" or "D" names (Jason, Justin, Jordan, Jeremy, Dustin, Damon, ect) came in that I would be in for a rough time. It never failed!!

By sjb (not verified)
May 6, 2011 11:10 AM

By adrienne4119 (not verified)
May 6, 2011 11:17 AM

New mum....I feel the same way you do, and my child is 14. However, he saw this article and thought it was a load of garbage. You will raise your child to be confident and HAPPY and this kind of nonsense won't bother them!

By Upset and Sad New Mum (not verified)
May 6, 2011 11:39 AM

@adrienne4119
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your reply it is more appreciated than you will ever know, thank you !!

By Alyssa Mandel (not verified)
May 6, 2011 12:29 PM

Am I the only person on earth who considered a name's meaning before bestowing it? I'm not superstitious, but names mean something. I wonder about names based on traditional forms of labor: a mason is a person who works with stone. A cooper creates wooden barrels, a chandler is a person who makes candles and a thatcher does just that - put thatch back on a roof. Will we someday name our children Insurance Adjuster or IT Manager? McKenna sounds cute . . . but it means the son of a man named Kenneth, which is an odd choice for a little girl whose daddy is called Jeff. I gave my sons names that are easy to spell, that you don't hear on every corner, and that mean something special. I suffered as an Alyssa - in 1972 no one could spell it or pronounce it, and when I found out my parents just liked how it sounded and had no idea it means "an antidote for rabies or insanity" in Greek, that was the last straw!

By Annoyed (not verified)
May 6, 2011 1:37 PM

@Quin
i find it particularly strange that certain articles will not post my comment - Livescience and the Cleveland leader. Why do they have no problems posting this article from Laura Wattenburg but won't post my comment ??

By Guest1 (not verified)
May 6, 2011 1:54 PM

You said that you're "the one that has to live with" your sons' (asinine) names. Untrue.

YOUR SONS have to live with them too. And, trust me, they will either grow weary of being teased for having such stupid names and lash out at someone or they will eventually get mad at YOU.

By EmeraldBlitz (not verified)
May 6, 2011 2:33 PM

The only kinds of names that really bother me are made-up spellings that are too far from the traditional spelling of the name in any language. Such as when people add random Y's to names that shouldn't have them, or completely make up a spelling to an ordinary name, like "Kymbourghlee" in an attempt to be unique. There's already too many accepted spellings of many names because of different languages (such as the names Mark or Marc), if you want to be unique, why not name them something that's spelled correctly but is different, like Bok Choy or Computer. It'll make it easier on teachers who have to spell your stupid names.

Other than that, if I were naming a kid, I'd keep names that end in "son" or "man" as boy's names. I know Allison and Madison have been popular girls' names for a while, but that's just my personal preference.

By Quin (not verified)
May 6, 2011 5:01 PM

Quoting the person who said: "Where is the responsibilty from these authors before they print this inaccurate list based on nothing but mentions on an internet forum (most less than even 10 mentions from 1500 conversations). This list is nothing but cruel to single out these names, its cruel to all the mothers and then it will be even worse when our kids take the brunt of this stupid list.
This encourages nothing but bullying and negativity towards children - shame on you !!"

I couldnt agree more, this has been my concern all along!

Also to the person who is trying to comment on livescience etc, I know what you mean, I have tried to comment several times, some of the posts have even been easier on Wattenberg yet bringing up the point of less then 10 mentions out of 1500 equal most hated names? Well you guessed it, the comments are not allowed. Im thinking that since they have a relationship with Wattenberg, they are censoring what is on there, as well as the fact that they would then look unreputable since they are the ones who most articles are also referencing as a source. I see that they did ANOTHER interview with Wattenberg over the newest social security list of popular names...why on earth are people still using her as a crediable source on baby names? I dont get it?

I wish that the today show would interview Wattenberg on national television and put her on the hot seat, wouldnt it be great for matt lauer to grill her and say why is it that you felt okay with misleading america with a title like that? What were your real motives? Arent you a statistics lady anyway, I have looked at your website, the equations from your survey were less then one percent, yet you gave the impression these were the most hated names?!!! Oh man he would have a feild day with her!

By Guest5 (not verified)
May 6, 2011 5:09 PM

Thank you! My mother told me that she had narrowed my name down to three choices-Phillip, after her great-great grandfather, Michael, after my dad's brother, or Maurice, after her father. She chose Maurice. My gandfather was a great man and I loved him dearly, but I was the only Maurice in my class in school. I got teased about it and back in the 70's when I would go shopping with my mother, I would look at things like key rings and other items that had first names on them. I never could find anything with my name on it. I only go by Maurice on legal documents now. I shortened it to Mo in high school. So, yes, parents, you may like the name, but your CHILD has to live with it. As for me, if I have a son, I would like to name him Benjamin James, after my great-grandfathers. That way my child has choices when he grows up as to what he wants to be called. Bye the way, my mother also decided to make my middle name Fitzgerald. Any idea what it is like to have the first two initials of my name be MF?

By LilianaV (not verified)
May 6, 2011 11:12 PM

This article and the author of it are completely ridiculous. Bullying has become such a prevalent topic lately, and the author is just creating more hate and adding fuel to the fire. I must say that the author's name was one of my most hated names before this article came about, and now hearing her name makes me sick. The author has no sense of decency and should find something to do besides writing because I certainly don't want to read her garbage. I won't forget the author's name anytime soon, and I'm certain that I will not be reading anything else written by her.

By Guest81 (not verified)
May 8, 2011 4:42 AM

"Parents, steer clear of these baby names, unless you want your kids to have a tougher life."

The above was quoted in the media inspired by this article

THANKS A LOT

This makes a mother feel really good about a decision already made

Thanks for that

I wasn't expecting to worry about bullying for a few more years - but bang !! Out comes this most Hated list based on methodology that is more than questionable and it has caused nothing but worry since!

So thanks again for highlighting my babies names and in doing so giving my innocent child a tougher life because nobody would have said that before your article

I hope your proud of yourself, I'm sickened by your article and how you haven't thought of the children who already have these names !

By resan89 (not verified)
May 8, 2011 10:22 AM

The only Nevaeh I know is actually a daughter of a Tiffany....go figure.

By Back Atcha (not verified)
May 8, 2011 11:03 PM

Quit attacking Laura.

The cruel ones are the parents giving their kids names that make most people cringe.

By Guest81 (not verified)
May 9, 2011 5:25 AM

No - the cruel ones are the judgemental snobs who think they have the right to look down their noses and criticize other people's name choices because they deem them to be too popular, too common, too trendy, too traditional, too trashy, too surnamey, too low class, too violent, too rhyme-y, Blah Blah Blah !!
Seriously are there any names left we won't be judged for using that won't make you cringe !

By annoyed (not verified)
May 9, 2011 10:29 AM

I second what guest81 said.

By annoyed (not verified)
May 9, 2011 10:35 AM

Who says they make most people cringe? Lauras's survey that had 1500 mentions and out of those were 10 or less mentions? Cringe huh? Ya I think well blame her for misleading and putting false ideas peoples heads.

By Stacey M. (not verified)
May 10, 2011 1:34 PM

I think some of the worst names you can give your kids are the genderbending names. For example, the name Ezra for a girl. Awful! I recently met a girl named Ezra and felt so bad for her. Why would her parents do that? Someone I was with said, "poor thing" upon hearing the name. That's not the kind of reaction you want when people are told what your child's name is.

By dsquared2 (not verified)
May 11, 2011 4:20 AM

Men and women strategy a different leisure life, producing dsquared2 jeans shoes are considered to be the most used style to follow by modern day people, inside a busy city, two comfortable and stylish Dsquared 2 guys sneakers so that you can in the relaxed and content planet, it releases the machine is installed away from informal style, distinct feeling enables you to be free, all-natural, self. The effect of financial crisis, basic and practical style, and new recommendations for choosing a gift. Dsquared two females sneakers that has a comfortable design notion head into the peoples vision, after that, the pace of the world slowly became relaxed.
Dsquared2
Dsquared2 Clothing
Dsquared2 men clothing

Dsquared2 on sale
Dsquared2 online shop
Dsquared2 men sneaker
dsquared2 shoes

dsquared
d squared
dsquared uk
dsquared shoes
dsquared online
dsquared jeans

May 11, 2011 8:45 PM

I don't think some of these are that bad, but I'm not a huge fan of the Nevaeh craze. I love the name Ottalie.:)

By ryan watson (not verified)
May 13, 2011 6:02 PM

I love the name Brayden I'm naming my son Brayden I love the fact its hated makes it that much sweeter I love my son hope he's a hell raiser lol

By cal (not verified)
May 15, 2011 9:18 PM

You have to live with those names? No, your kids do. So when they are constantly respelling, explaining and correcting the pronunciation of those names, then you may reconsider how important being different was. Sometimes names are popular because they convey a good image while being immediately recognizable as names. Sorry to be so critical, but you can be unique without resorting to a random collection of consonants and vowels to create your kids' name. There are plenty of good, but under-used names on the books.

By willow (not verified)
May 17, 2011 7:32 PM

I thought it was a great article and i can confirm a strong negative feeling when I hear the rhymes with 'Aidan' names for boys which makes me wonder how the 'Payden/Peyton/Payton' name for girls didn't make it to the list. I have a stronger reaction to this than most of the boys names perhaps with the exception of Jayden. It could be that the few Paydon/Peytons I have come across seem to have mothers that like the sound of it so much they say it over and over and over in a matter of minutes. Not something I've ever really noticed happen with any other name.
Also you've mentioned K names (Kyle, Kayla, Kaitlyn etc. I'm not sure why but I find most K names pretentious sounding or incorrect looking, Katie being the exception, even so I think Catherine is nicer with a C than with a K. I'm not sure why such a strong reaction to the letter K as an initial though but could completely understand the reaction observed in your study.

By willow (not verified)
May 17, 2011 7:40 PM

Forgot to mention another intense dislike that didn't make it to the list perhaps because it can't be tied down to just one or two names but it's the two 'E's or two 'I's spellings of girls names. There is a lovely girl in my daughter's class and the creative spelling of her name, 'Chloee' means that she is referred to as "Chloe with two 'E's" because there are quite a few other Chloes in her class. Given that this will be something she has to say over and over again in her lifetime, through school and career, her parents may as well have put "Chloee with two 'E's" on the birth certificate.

By Elshiva (not verified)
May 19, 2011 12:53 AM

Well, my name is Else, which is a derivative from Elspeth. And my husband and I are talking about naming our baby Tristan or Emmalynn, depending on the sex. Emmalynn is LIKE Emlyn so if we have a girl you can say we took your advise!

By nameguy123 (not verified)
May 22, 2011 1:49 AM

Yes, there's a huge bias towards names despised by the types of people who would willingly go onto an internet message board to talk about names. Hence the ragehatred against really typical names like Michael, etc. whereas the stench of Davids and Noahs somehow, inexplicably, passes muster.

By disgusted!!! (not verified)
May 22, 2011 8:21 PM

Anyone who would take the time to scour the internet and track 1500 conversations about names and then try and say they are the most hated names even when their are only less then 10 mentions on average per name, NEEDS TO GET A LIFE!!! Laura Wattenburg Im speaking to YOU! People are dealing with REAL problems such as cancer, death, financial struggles and your going to try and present a completely false article to the world as if its the truth? It makes you look completely stupid or unethical one or the other because in your article, you state the facts yet your title presents them as the most hated names? Hello, are you starving for publicity? Is the baby name business that bad? Are you feeling like other baby name authors are getting more attention therefore you have to give everyone a shocking title? Get a life Wattenburg and WAKE UP!!! There are more important things to worry about in this world and most dont want to concentrate on the negative so go crawl back into the whole you came from Wattenberg...you phoney baby name author!

By Cleo (not verified)
May 25, 2011 11:41 AM

I know a transgender who was born "Jordan", but has begun calling herself "Jayden".

As I told her once, "You're not helping yourself any: both names get used for both genders."

By PinayGalCaitlin (not verified)
May 26, 2011 6:08 AM

I was ALMOST named Kaitlyn but I was lukily spared. First of all: I absolutely hate the names Destiny, Hope, Faith, and Nevaeh. Just name her Hannah. It's also a biblical name.
Worst girl names I've heard:
Kloieysha (Kloie and Alysha? Apperently those were her aunts' names. Also kinda bad.) Kaydance
MacKaitlyn (seriously. This makes all the Caitlins sad.)
Darren, Aiden, and JOHN for GIRLS!
Kassydie (PLEASE! how hard would Cassidy or even Cassandra be?)
I'm not sure about you guys, but Audrianna is also on my list.
Honeybaby
Geeraphina (Giraffe?)
Jessilynn
Moel
Zayda

By Alison_says (not verified)
May 26, 2011 2:12 PM

It is one thing to disagree, but I don't really understand getting angry to the point where you would troll this message board spewing vitriol at the author because you dislike her title or methodology for discovering names people hate. I am fairly happy with my own name, but am not at all upset with the poster who thought it should not be used for girls since it ends with -son (and I'm not the son of an Ali-).

Also, I find it amusing that most of the commenters who are angry that this post was ever created, angry at the methodology of the survey, or who are simply angry at the title have terrible grammar, punctuation, and/or spelling. It certainly diminishes your tirade. Certainly there are names that you hate or at the very least dislike. If not, I find it absurd that you don't want it mentioned that others hate a name. I found this list to be useful and would try to avoid giving a name people despise to a child. Too often throughout my career I have seen resumes discarded due to a "stupid" name.

For what it is worth, this was my first visit to this blog, so this is not a knee-jerk defense of a favorite author.

By disgusted!!! (not verified)
May 26, 2011 2:23 PM

Alison, for someone who acts as though they are very intelligent etc, you missed the point of why people are upset, the article has no validity. You stated you would avoid these names and that the list is helpful because you wouldnt want to use a name people dispised.... look at her method....does 6 mentions of a name out of 1500 mentions mean that a name is dispised? I dont think so.

By julie anne (not verified)
May 28, 2011 8:13 PM

I agree too (Amanda RB and Aybee) It is amazing how some people either just don't seem to get out much or when they do, they don't pay attention. A co-worker claims that she has never heard the name "Caden". Uh, really? It's only everywhere.
Parents really do need to do their research. It astounds me that parents choose a name like Caden for a boy or Addison for a girl and are absolutely shocked (not to mention angry) when there are multiple Cadens and Addisons in their kid's class at school.

By julie anne (not verified)
May 31, 2011 8:42 PM

PinayGalCaitlin -

Gotta agree with you! It's not so much that Kaitlyn is such a horrible name --it's not. It's just that it is used, and used, and used again. Lucky for you, your parents chose the original Irish (I believe) spelling of the name. I am just not a fan of all the various "creative" spellings of it, plus all the similar sounding names such as Kayla, Kaylee, Kylie etc.
I'm not a fan of Destiny, myself. To me it does sound like it could be associated with pole dancing. So does Desiree. Neveah just seems...wrong. Heaven, backwards? Really? Heaven backwards to me is hell. I guess I can see where people might think it is precious, but my opinion is that it sounds low class. Trailer parks and ghettos abound are full of Neveahs. I don't like the name Hope, for no other reason than I just don't like it for a given name, although I do kind of like Faith. I LOVE Hannah!
There are some boys names that work for girls -Jordan, Dylan, Logan, Casey or Jason for example, but certainly not Darren, Aiden or John.
Ugh. Don't like Cassidy no matter how it's spelled. Same goes for names like Skylar, Kyler, Caden/Kaden/Kadence, Colton, Kolby, Braydon,Brock etc. Parents can choose to name their kids what they want, of course, but it just seems like a lot of parents choose these trendy names thinking that they're being smart, cool and clever...but they're really not.

By julie anne (not verified)
May 31, 2011 9:05 PM

Guest81-
I personally don't think that any of these names would warrant bullying. If you were to have a boy and call him Dick, then yeah, I could see where he might get picked on because of his name. These names aren't necessarily tease-worthy--( well, with the exception of Bertha, maybe) it's just that they are soooo trendy. If you love a name, by all means use it. But don't be surprised or upset if there are multiple children with the same name in your kid's class at school. If this doesn't bother you, great.
I think one of the biggest problems kids may face is going through life having to spell/pronounce and differenciate gender with an unusual name. Also spelling can make or break a name. For example, Jackson is fine. Jaxon looks, well, illiterate.
Just my opinion.

By julie anne (not verified)
May 31, 2011 9:58 PM

Chimu-
LOL at the 90210 names! I watched that show for the first couple years it was out and thought the same thing about some of the names. Kelly, Andrea, David, Steve...yeah. Brenda and Donna? Not so much. Names like Jennifer, Heather, Melissa or Kristen would be much more believable.

By makayla (not verified)
June 7, 2011 1:16 PM

makayla is not a bad name because tht is my name and it original and also alot of ppl have tht name so can u plz take it off of the website. thx u have a good day !

By zakbry (not verified)
June 21, 2011 5:23 PM

n zachary is the most hated name in america and in the world

By christy smith (not verified)
July 21, 2011 2:27 PM

I happen to like some of the names on here especially Bentley i have a 8 month son named Bentley and i dont think it is a trashy name. there is alot of people named Bentley so i dont think it's right to talk bad about names thts all over the country tht is very popular.

By KF (not verified)
August 2, 2011 11:20 AM

Jency and Tesher?! Naming kids crap like that is just abusive. Please don't have anymore children.

By Ooombooti-Blah (not verified)
August 3, 2011 5:51 PM

Nothing to be concerned about in this post. If it conflicts with another blogger's opinion piece then that's just the way it is.

Different sample groups are obviously going to provide different results.

That is no reason to withdraw this article.

On a personal note I want to express how much I dislike people giving their kids ridiculous alphabet soup names that put them in the firing line at school.

regards
Ooombooti-Blah Scaldedbottom Smith

By Gayden Mckinzie (not verified)
August 7, 2011 5:12 PM

The big problem seems to be that people who are nearly illiterate in English have trouble picking baby names that don't sound foolish to people who are literate. By "literate" I also mean "familiar with basic knowledge a person can get from books" -- unlike anyone dumb enough to name their child Addison in complete ignorance of the fact that their child will share a name with a debilitating disease. Obviously someone who thinks it's a good idea to name a child "Bentley" or "Lexus" is totally bewildered as to why others consider it trashy -- they are living in a cultural sinkhole and they have no idea why educated middle-class people would find that name trashy. It's sad, really.

By Chanda (not verified)
August 9, 2011 6:05 PM

My two least favorite names are John and Britney. John because my parents used to call our toilet the John. I can not hear the name without thinking of a toilet! Britney is a very stuck up name and also way too common.

By Sherron (not verified)
August 10, 2011 10:57 AM

I found this an interesting read. When I named my first born, in 1974, I had never known anyone or actually heard the name, other than from the Bible. I love the name Jared, and was very happy that every other baby born that year did not have the same name. Then I moved. There have been so many Jareds in this county in the last 30 years that I cannot believe it.

My daughter's name is really different and beautiful. Its not made up. I googled her name several years ago and found 1 girl just three years older than she is. Everyone that hears her name for the first time comments about what a pretty name it is. I did great on this one. What is the name? Well, if anyone thinks I am going to publish it to be mass produced to start appearing in birth announcements, you're nuts.

By Ooombooti-Blah Scaldedbottom Smith (not verified)
August 15, 2011 5:00 PM

Hi Sherron,

Was your daughter's name Ooombooti-Blah?

By air 123 (not verified)
September 23, 2011 3:09 AM

Youth nfl jerseys Milwaukee Brewers 23 white weeks majestic 2011 MLB Milwaukee Cheap nfl jerseys a good market adds Brewers team uniform that 52 blue dark Egan cool base Jersey February 20, 2007, the Milwaukee Brewers of major elements of NFL football jerseys sweaters, and uniform logos, backgrounders adapted. You need more Milwaukee Brewers logos to custom 2011 Super Bowl jerseys and UniformsWelcome for our blog Milwaukee. We blogs on Brewers games, the two largest offshore pitchers I ever to a unified Brewers Don Frank Secory played for another year in Milwaukee, but discount NFL moves goods Cubs in August 1944, three year Pittsburgh Steelers Jerseys replica uniform Brewer. Brewers June 19, 2011, will keep close to Yount Milwaukee Brewers, made a spin New York Giants jerseys until the heat Milwaukee Brewers 2008 unified position history middot Cotton Jersey cheap NHL jerseys Milwaukee Brewers are a team of professional baseball in Milwaukee Chicago Bears Jerseys authentic review pilots ' old logo Dallas Cowboys jerseys on clearly visible Brewers uniforms. These older forms of Brewer was awful. I was forced to move the happiness of Milwaukee for several years. Minnesota Twins uniform Green Bay Packers jerseys Cuddyer Road Jersey MLB.