Why You Can't Find a License Plate With Your Kid's Name On It

May 26th 2011

San Francisco's Chinatown is a bonanza of classic tourist souvenirs. Refrigerator magnets reading "Greetings from SF"? Check. Flatten a penny and imprint the Golden Gate Bridge on it? Check. Miniature California license plates with children's names on them? Check...kind of.

On a recent family trip I saw racks and racks of the little vanity plates, but something struck me funny. None of them featured the current California plate design, the red script and blue letters on white that the state has issued for the past 18 years. Nor did I find the design before that. Instead, I had my choice of 1970s-style yellow on blue and 1980s rising sun. (Refresh your memory of plate designs past here.)

Why are all the mini license plates so retro? It's not a matter of nostalgia. I'm confident that the souvenirs I saw were actually produced back when the plate designs were current. You can tell from the selection of names, suspended in time:

Souvenir license plates with old names and designs

It seems that mini license license plate production halted a generation back. It may be that the product has lost its allure for modern kids, but I doubt it. I suspect that what's changed is the business proposition of fabricating metal trinkets molded into individual names.

Back in 1970 when the Californa blue and yellows were first issued, stamping out plates in just 10 names would cover more than a quarter of all American boys. Today the top 10 names account for only one boy in twelve. That makes manufacturing enough plates to lure in a broad swath of the public an impractical business. What's more, name trends change faster today, increasing the risk of getting stuck with a lot of worthless merchandise.

Is the era of the name trinket doomed to end? Not so fast. In another part of San Francisco, another souvenir vendor offered a glimpse of a personalized trinket future -- a future that harkens back to the past. This vendor solved the name diversity problem with old-fashioned hand craftmanship. Take a look at these options for just the begining of the "M" section:

Those bracelets were hand made by the vendor, a city-licensed street artist. If you don't find your particular name spelling in her extensive inventory, she'll create a custom version for you on the spot.

It's the perfect old-school solution to a newfangled name problem. If only you could weave a license plate.

Comments

May 26, 2011 1:47 PM

Great post Laura! I think a lot has to do with the increase in alternate spellings. I always was in awe of my 70's type name being spelled correctly (my way) on personalized merchandise. How much trouble is it for manufacturers to spell each different way to spell Aiden? But what's more interesting is the seemingly more common names that you DON'T find. My gf can always find Sophi-A but not Sophi-E which is her little girls name.

By tiffanie (not verified)
May 26, 2011 1:48 PM

after naming me with a weird spelling in 1979 (tiffanie), my mom later lamented about choosing that spelling because "we could never find anything with my name on it." as if that was a huge tragedy! i'm really ok with it.

By Allison (not verified)
May 26, 2011 1:50 PM

I will never find my kids' names on something...

My daughter has the double-barreled Sarah Bradley. We find Sarah sure enough, but IF we can find something with Bradley (which I usually don't) it's very boy of course.

And my son was Christened as the 4th Marshall in a row - not a name we find often. And his nickname - Mac - is also not found on cups, plates, keychains, etc.

Usually I can plan ahead and make my own personalized things for them, but otherwise we just pick ones with the generic "Princess" or "Cool Dude" on them!

By dfulton (not verified)
May 26, 2011 2:04 PM

I was excited to see my daughters name (Madelyn)on the bracelet! I can't find anything with that spelling. Although spelling it Madelyn seems to be pretty common, I can only find merchandise with the more traditional Madeline. It's not a tragedy, I love the way I spelled my daughters name, but it is good to see street vendors breaking out the more unusual names!

By knp-nli (not verified)
May 26, 2011 2:18 PM

Growing up it was always kristEn, not Kristin. And, it never bothered me-- well except when someone bought me the kristen one, not realizing it was spelled wrong. I would get out a marker! I did always look for my name though. My brother's name Aaron was usually find-able.

dfulton: where are you from?-- the last six letters of your screen name is my maiden name!! not exceptionally common in my area...

May 26, 2011 2:37 PM

My mom was born in the early 50s (it didn't hit the charts until the 70s, but has been in the top 100 for the last decade or so) and was given a name that was unheard of back then but is pretty popular now. She is always baffled when I can easily find her name on stuff nowadays but I can't find my daughter's classic, timeless name on stuff.

By Aileen (not verified)
May 26, 2011 2:55 PM

I don't understand how they pick which names to use on merchandise. My son has the very the fairly common name "Ian" and I can't find it anywhere. (note: I really wanted to name him "Iain" but it would never have been spelled correctly)

By Gretchen (not verified)
May 26, 2011 2:56 PM

Two Words; INTERNET and CUSTOMIZED ordering..

Back in the 1980s, if your name wasn't on the standard stuff at the shop, you were stuck. I have an uncommon (but not unheard of) name while my two brothers had super common names; I was jealous of them as a kid as they always found stuff with their name on it and I couldn't.

Fast forward 25 years and I've given both of my kids both uncommon (but not unheard of) names and I am able to custom order all the personalized stuff with their name on it online. Who cares if you can't find it at a shop

As for our names: My name is Gretchen; my brothers are Jason and Jeff (Jeffrey).

My kid's names are Duncan (age 7) and Celia (age 5). They both have personalized custom made.

By Gretchen (not verified)
May 26, 2011 3:02 PM

Sorry; I accidentally clicked the send button before finishing.

They both have personalized custom made puzzles, banners, and cups with their names on it ordered online.

My Indian neighbor has a son named Anoop and she has even ordered custom made stuff for him.

The only issue for customized stuff is for people who want to buy stuff right there at the shop. But in this day and age, even if you name your kid zshgjs, you can go online and get him a personalized anything he wants.

By EVie
May 26, 2011 4:28 PM

My sister and I have names that were relatively rare in the U.S. for the time we were born, but were very common, classic names in France and Italy, respectively. It was always super exciting when we were on vacation in Europe and suddenly every tourist shop on the street had tchotchkes with our names (since we could never find them Stateside).

May 26, 2011 6:13 PM

Gretchen wrote "Two Words; INTERNET and CUSTOMIZED ordering."

That's what really drew me to the topic, the fact that those plates had to be fabricated/molded in name shape rather than just slapping on some ink. It has made the name license plate a dying breed. (Today companies offer a blank plastic plate with stickers to spell the name of your choice. Somehow it's not nearly the same!)

By JellieEll (not verified)
May 26, 2011 6:56 PM

I know three sisters named Ellie, Emily and Amelia. Emily, who is six and one of the only emilys she knows, always finds trinkets with her name on them, yet Ellie, one of the three Ellie's in her second grade class rarely finds things preprinted with her name, and Amelia, who is one of dozens of Amelia's her age never finds things with her name on it. Clearly, this creates a bit of jealousy. I think that personalized items are a bit out of date for young kids.

By Abbigoose (not verified)
May 26, 2011 7:00 PM

This is a bit unrelated, but I need some help. Which names are your favorites from the following?

Lily Mae
Adalaide Elise
Sarah Jane
Hannah Grace
Mollie Claire
Ellie Rose
Ruby Olivia
Julia Isabelle

Thank you!!!

By izzy
May 26, 2011 8:29 PM

Lily Mae - 2. The name Lily is great, but i'm not a fan of Mae, maybe choose something longer?
Adalaide Elise - 1 i love the name Adelaide
Sarah Jane - 5 Great names, but I wouldn't put them together
Hannah Grace - 6 Love the name Grace
Mollie Claire -8 I like it, but i wouldn't spell Molly with an 'ie'
Ellie Rose - 3. Love it.
Ruby Olivia - 4
Julia Isabelle - 7 Love both names, but i'm partial to the pared down "Isabel" or "Isobel" (I pronounce all three of these names the same way. Does everyone else??)

By EVie
May 26, 2011 8:49 PM

Abbigoose - You've got some great names there, although many of the spellings are not what I would choose.

Lily Mae - I would love it if it were Lily May. I love, love, love the pretty simplicity of May and the evocation of the month—spring, warm weather, flowers. Mae just seems like it's trying too hard to be retro-Hollywood-cool.
Adalaide Elise - I would love it if were Adelaide. Adalaide just looks wrong to me.
Sarah Jane - Both nice names, but I agree with izzy—together they sound a bit bland.
Hannah Grace - nice.
Mollie Claire - I would love it if it were Molly Claire.
Ellie Rose - nice, though I don't care for nicknames as full names. Eleanor Rose? Elizabeth Rose?
Ruby Olivia - nice.
Julia Isabelle - nice (though, like Izzy, I prefer Isabel or Isobel—but I don't strenuously object to this one)

I would probably rearrange these combos to: Lily Olivia; Adelaide May; Sarah Elise; Hannah Grace; Molly Isabel; Eleanor Rose; Ruby Jane; Julia Claire

By Gretchen (not verified)
May 26, 2011 11:06 PM

Okay; you guys got me thinking:

My husband and I are thinking of having a baby #3 now that Duncan and Celia will both be in school full time this fall.

Take your picks:

For a boy: Finn, Blake, Drake, Madden, or Henry

For a girl: Adele, Matilda (nn Tillie), Louisa (nn Lulu), Jane (too boring?)

3 must haves: 1) Not in the top 50 but must be a name that people have heard of and that is not made up. 2) A name that has been around for a long time although it may have had waves of popularity and obscurity 3) a good sibling match for both Duncan and Celia

By M guest (not verified)
May 27, 2011 12:24 AM

I like the name Sarah Jane- but then I am a huge Dr. Who fan! The Sarah Jane character got her own spin off series too.

By hyz nli (not verified)
May 27, 2011 1:46 AM

listed in order of preference:

Ruby Olivia -- like Ruby a lot, Olivia is fine but too common for my liking now

Lily Mae -- adorable, this would be my top pick if Lily weren't so common now

Sarah Jane -- classic, pretty, sweet

Mollie Claire -- I'd prefer Molly, but this is a nice combination

Hannah Grace -- classic, nice

Adalaide Elise -- I'd rank this higher if it were spelled Adelaide, and with a different middle -- I just don't care for Elise

Julia Isabelle -- fine name, doesn't excite me though

Ellie Rose -- I'd rank this much higher, maybe first, if it were Eleanor rather than Ellie. Elizabeth is also nice. I don't like nicknames as first names, though, and Ellie isn't my favorite nn for any of the longer forms of the name (prefer Nora, Nell, Beth, Betty, Betsy, etc.).

By alr (not verified)
May 27, 2011 1:56 AM

Hello friends -- just wanted to keep you posted that DH and I are pretty firmly rooted with either Bryn or Vivienne for our sweet Naomi. I quite like the name Bryn (and DH thinks it's sweet that it "matches" my middle name, Lynn), but the history and meaning of Vivienne give it the current edge for our "spitfire" daughter.

I'll let you know when we decide for sure! Thanks for all of your help - my list obviously morphed considerably over the last two months (Violet, Adele, Kate) :) But I think there's a good chance one of these two will stick!!

Oh, and Henry will be given a family name as his middle, Meyer.

By hyz nli (not verified)
May 27, 2011 2:02 AM

Gretchen, I like all your choices, especially the girls.

For boys, my ranking would be
Henry -- classic, unfortunately popular now, but for good reason I think, because it's so attractive

Drake -- I personally love this one, but I guess it gives a lot of people a soap opera vibe. I never watched soap operas (except one season of General Hospital in the early 90s), so it just sounds handsome and a bit unusual to me, and it's a more subtle nature name you don't hear so often.

Blake -- a little too preppy for me, but it does call to mind a handsome young man, and I admit the few Blakes I've known have all fit that stereotype and been very nice, to boot.

Finn -- this one sounds the most trendy (i.e. likely to be dated to the 2000s) to me, but it's a nice name.

Madden -- all I can think of is the football video game, and I've never even played it. Getting past that, being a verb synonymous with "to anger" is not that positive, I think.

For the girls, I'm not sure I can pick favorites because I love them all. If I had to pick in the order that I'd personally use them, I think it would be:

Louisa -- if you told me 5 years ago this would be near the top of my list today, I'd have laughed, but I just love it. Classic, strong, sweet, pretty, international. Like the cute nn possibilities, too.

Adele -- this WAS at or near the top of my list 5 years ago, and I still love it, but I wish the singer weren't making it so much more familiar here than it was a few years ago. Still, an excellent name.

Matilda -- the only think that bothers me about this one is the all of the Madelyns/Maddies running around, since I feel it dilutes the effect of this confident, striking name.

FWIW, I like the Germanic feel of the above 3 names, and it's part of what got them each on my list over the years.

Jane -- not too boring to me, since I never really hear it as a first name. Classic, smart, and strong. Maybe just too... short or simple for me. It doesn't quite have the IT factor for me, but I know I'd be charmed if I met a young Jane. But we have a very short and simple last name to work with--if yours is long/complicated, it might be more appealing.

By izzy
May 27, 2011 7:35 AM

@Gretchen: I feel like Henry 'fits' best with your other 2 kids, and I love the name, so that is my number one. Finn and Blake, respectively, are also great names.
Louisa is my absolute favorite of your girls! Followed by Adele and Jane. I am not a huge fan of Matilda (it reminds me of the movie I watched all the time when i was younger - evil parents, magic child). But I do love the nn Tillie.

By knp
May 27, 2011 9:15 AM

alr: no matter which you choose, it will be great!

@Gretchen, I hope you have a girl, and use the name Adele- I think it is a perfect sibset! My fave boy for you is Henry (if its growing popularity doesn't scare you, while it isn't in the top 50 now, it could be in the next couple years) Drake is my second favorite (that gives the boys both D names, if that bothers you).

Abbigoose: If I was going to choose from only your list: Ruby Olivia, Hannah Grace, Adalaide Elise

May 27, 2011 9:23 AM

alr-That's good news that you've been able to narrow things down. I wish you the best.

Gretchen:I think I like the names Blake and Adele best to match your other children.
Henry and Finn are nice but don't really match Duncan's style for me. Drake is nice but I like to keep separate inititals. Madden is too game and football for me.
Matilda is okay but just doesn't sit right with me but I'm not sure why. Louisa still seems old-fashioned to me. Jane is a great name but a little plain to match your others.

abbigoose-I will just order these (best to least) as you didn't say how many you need and they are all pretty good.
Sarah Jayne (I like the fancy Y in it for personal reasons)
Hannah Grace
Mollie Claire
Ruby Olivia
Ellie Rose
Lily Mae
Adelaide Elise
Julia Isabella

May 27, 2011 9:32 AM

"That's definitely the way the name-trinket world is heading. You can get most standard gift items custom printed...but one thing you simply can't get is those little metal license plates!"

Laura-There are a few sites to order personalized bike plates (if you google that phrase). I didn't want to post them here. Some are plastic with airbrushed names on them but I found one site that will even print photos on either plastic OR metal (aluminum) plates. The designs/fonts are quite numerous.

May 27, 2011 10:15 AM

My sister, Melissa, could always get items with her name on them. Sadly, I would look and look and always be disappointed when my own name didn't appear. I still check out those racks! You'd think after nearly 40 years, I would have learned my lesson.

All I wanted were those pretty little barrettes with my name. My mom tried to make it up to me by ordering pencils with my name printed in gold. Pencils. Boo. Thank you for trying, Mom!

May 27, 2011 12:31 PM

I never had one of those personalized license plates, but I always wanted one. And it wasn't that I couldn't find my name. Amy was an easy name for personalized stuff in the 70s.

@Abbigoose, here are my thoughts:

Lily Mae - I'd prefer this if it were spelled May, too. Lily is a little popular for my taste, but it's a nice, solid name.

Adalaide Elise - Would prefer it spelled Adelaide and the rhythm of the names together is a little too sing-songy for me.

Sarah Jane - I like both these names, but agree they're a little plain paired.

Hannah Grace - I'm not a big fan of either, although they're perfectly fine names. Like SJ above, they're a little bland together.

Mollie Claire - I also like the Molly spelling better. This is a nice pair.

Ellie Rose - I don't like nns as given names so would want something longer here to get to Ellie. Also, Ellie isn't my favorite nn what with all the Elles, Ellies, Ellas, Belles, and Bellas around.

Ruby Olivia - I like this one.

Julia Isabelle - This is nice, too, but I also prefer Isabel.

I think my favorite, if I mix-and-match, is Adelaide Claire.

@Gretchen, and now for your lists!

Finn - Nice, but its rise in popularity would put me off.

Blake - Feels too trendy with Duncan and Celia.

Drake - I'm in the "too soap opera-ish" camp on this one.

Madden - Too football and I'm not even a fan.

Henry - This works beautifully with your son's and daughter's names. Plus, if you're inclined you could use Hank, which I love.

Adele - Very nice

Matilda (nn Tillie) - I feel she'd be lost in a sea of Madisons and Madelines, even with the nn Tillie.

Louisa (nn Lulu) - I like this and it sounds great paired with Jane as a middle.

Jane (too boring?) - I like Jane, too. If you want a different ending than Celia's name, this may be the one.

May 27, 2011 4:49 PM

Abbigoose-
I love Lily Mae and Julia Isabelle. Ellie Rose is cute too, but like some other people have said I'd like it more if Ellie was a nickname for Eleanor, Elizabeth, Elaine, Ella, Ellowen, etc.

Gretchen-
My favorites from your list are Henry and Jane. I think that both work well with your other kids' names.
Some other ideas for you are: Nora, Hazel, Helene, Lydia, Viola, Lorelei

By knp
May 27, 2011 5:28 PM

random musings:
Can't believe Naomi is ranked as high as it is! (96)

Bianca is my new little crush-- throwing it to dh as a equivalent sub to Vienna

needing more mn options that do not end or start in A. (Colette, Eve, Claire, Blythe, Jade)

wondering what Gretchen's middle name is...

May 27, 2011 7:36 PM

knp:
Some middle name suggestions: Lorelai, Celeste, Katherine, Evelyn, June, Helene, Eleanor, Vivienne, Genevieve, Beatrice, Mae, Josephine, Faye, Lane, Ruth

By EVie
May 27, 2011 10:42 PM

Gretchen - I like Blake, Drake and Henry a lot, and I think all of them would work in your sibset, though in different ways—Henry makes the whole thing sound more traditional, Blake makes it sound more romantic, and Drake makes it sound more edgy. I think my top pick would be Blake. Finn is a bit too of-the-moment for me, though I would otherwise like it. I don't care for Madden. It first made me think of shoes, though now that everyone else has mentioned football, there's that, too.

For the girls, I can't really warm up to Adele (though I know it's popular on this board). Love Louisa and Matilda. I have mixed feelings about Jane. I like the sound and the look of it, but I can't really get past the old "plain Jane" association. I feel like it's one of those little gems that seems stale and boring until you look at it closely, and then it sort of lights up (I feel the same way about Anne). The trouble is, I don't think I would want to work that hard to make myself see a name's appeal on a regular basis. (If that makes any sense at all—it's been a long day).

May 27, 2011 11:00 PM

knp-I would love if you used Bianca. I have a little crush on it as well. Here are some combo ideas:
Bianca Renee
Bianca Celine
Bianca Katherine
Bianca Nicole
Bianca Lisette
Bianca Florence
Bianca Vivienne (tres French)
Bianca Evelyn

May 28, 2011 10:52 AM

@knp, I agree with zoerhenne about Bianca. I love that name, but it's one I could never have considered because of how the -ca runs into our ln.

By I don't remember my name (not verified)
May 28, 2011 11:34 AM

When the generational name cycle goes around and those names are cool again, I wonder if the parents of future Timmys and Tonyas would be able to find those license plates. I think it'd be pretty cool to find something for your child that was made 100 years ago, nevermind the cost.

@ Gretchen - For your boys, I'd call for Blake. For girls, probably Louisa. Of your girls, I actually like Jane best, but it has a different style from Duncan and Celia, and you had stated that it was important that they go together. But I have to say that I'm worried that Louisa may share too many sounds with Celia; it's almost an anagram. Course, that may not be important to you. It sure isn't to me.

May 28, 2011 1:51 PM

I was never able to find anything with my name on it growing up, not surprising, since my parents made up my name, but I didn't feel too bad about it since most of my siblings' names (all found in baby books) were also unavailable on most personalized trinkets. Not popular enough names, I guess.

Abbigoose: My favorite two of those are Lily Mae (spelled just that way, as that's how my great-aunt's name was spelled and I've always been fond of it), and Mollie Claire.

Gretchen: I like Finn and Matilda off your list.

For my own naming question, I've got twin girls on the way. Older brothers are Aiden (3) and Caleb (1) (we had no idea how popular either of those names were until after we picked them, but they both fit them perfectly and I love the names despite their popularity). DH and I both really like the name Gwen for twin A, and are thinking of Chloe for twin B (once again, despite its popularity). I'm just having a bit of a hard time picking Chloe for sure, and would love some other thoughts on the subject.

Other names we like and have been considering:
Brenna (I really like this other than its rhyminess with Gwen, but DH doesn't like it as much)
Elsie
Tessa
Cora
Lia
Alivia
Maren
Mollie
Eleni

May 28, 2011 2:42 PM

I think it depends on the kinds of trinkets. I've been to toy stores where they were selling kiddie mugs, pencils, etc. with names like Madison and Mia printed on them.

Abbigoose: My favorite from your list is Julia Isabelle.

Gretchen: My picks are Henry and Adele.

May 28, 2011 4:52 PM

Kadusey:
I absolutely love the name Cora. I'd agree that Gwen and Brenna are too match-y. For some reason when I say Aiden, Caleb, Gwen, and... the name that pops into my head is Lydia.
Some other ideas for you:
Emma
Mira
Lucy
Bria
Lyra

By alr (not verified)
May 28, 2011 7:23 PM

Kadusey: I like Cora and Maren, with Maren being my favorite in your sibset. :)

May 28, 2011 7:30 PM

kadusey-I don't think Gwen and Brenna are too matchy. However, I do think that Brenna doesn't quite match the same style as the other 3. My first thought for you is Tess (w/o the A). I also like Nora and Ella that allij28 suggested. Using Nymbler, I get a few other suggestions:
Bridget
Kiara
Madelyn
Celeste
Lily
Taryn
Molly
Audrey

I like the subtle connection of the twins both having a name with 4 letters though. The boys both have 5 so its cute.

By linalily (not verified)
May 28, 2011 9:27 PM

Gretchen: For Duncan and Celia, Drake or Adele or Louisa would all fit beautifully with the mix. I know brothers Dane Addison and Drake Maxton and I LOVE their names. Have you decided yet?

Abbigoose: My vote is for Adalaide Elise! But all are pretty. I like Rose as a middle name too in your mix.

Kadusey: I love Chloe Eleni and Alivia Gwen with Aiden and Caleb.

By Beth the original (not verified)
May 28, 2011 9:45 PM

It has been lots of fun custom-ordering things with the name my kid re-christened herself, Firefly. Thank god for internet customizing. There's this place called Frecklebox where you can get customized puzzles, notebooks, even coloring books with any name you want.

Abbigoose, I like Sarah Jane and Molly Claire (I wouldn't use Mollie either).

Gretchen, I like Louisa nn Lulu a lot -- it's old-fashioned but hasn't entered the pantheon of overused names. Plus, I love Louisa May Alcott. The boys' names seem a bit too predictable to me or aren't my style, so it's harder for me to be helpful. I do think Henry nn Hank would be pleasantly surprising!

But my tastes are plain and dull, alas, so I usually don't enter the "what should I name my kid" conversations. It's a source of much mirth in my family that my daughter rejected her stodgy WASP name and named herself something hippy-dippy.

May 29, 2011 11:26 AM

Beth-Is she still using that nn? I love that story and almost think of her as named Firefly for her given name (which of course I forget now anyway lol).
Who was it that the siblings wanted the girls name to be Tomato? What did she get named in the end?

By EVie
May 29, 2011 6:27 PM

kadusey - I like Gwen, although if it were my choice I would definitely go for the full Gwendolyn or Guinevere, because I think it's a good thing to give a kid the option of more formality. Of your other names, my favorites are Cora, Chloe, Tessa, Maren and Lia. Stylistically, I would say that Maren and Chloe are the best fits with your sibset. I love Molly, but don't like the -ie ending. I'm not a big fan of Brenna, both because of the rhyming with Gwen and because it sounds kind of made-up-ish to me (not saying it IS made up—just that it sounds like it). I would like Elsie as a nickname for Elizabeth or any other El- name, but I wouldn't use it as the given name. Alivia is pretty, but will have huge spelling problems—everyone will think it is Olivia. Eleni seems odd in your sibset (and also has the rhyming-with-Gwen problem, no?) It is a very ethnic Greek choice, whereas the rest of your names seem to lean Celtic, English or contemporary American.

May 29, 2011 6:58 PM

OK, so I had my baby shower on the weekend and the only real 'game' we played was a guess the name/DOB/weight game. Some of the name suggestions were quite funny. I'll list them below:

Kira
Genevieve*
Caitlin
Emily
Elizabeth
Isabel
Clementine*
Isabella
Tahnee
Louise
Antonia
Cordelia*
Amelia

*names that are actually on my list!

Of course the people who 'guessed' those names had heard me mention them so they weren't a total surprise. Most of the other suggestions were way off base.

May 29, 2011 7:46 PM

Cute Chimu! The people that guessed Emily, Elizabeth and Antonia don't know you very well do they. Not that they are bad names but I can see you politely smiling and saying "no that is not on my list". And what's with Tahnee??

May 29, 2011 9:59 PM

Yeah the Tahnee suggestion really threw me! Not sure what she was thinking :) A few people didn't guess as they figured they wouldn't have a hope of getting close. The Isabella suggestion is from my MIL, who I know is keen on me using a name with 'bell' in it as that is my maiden name. I'm not so keen on the idea :)

May 30, 2011 7:18 AM

I think Tomato was named Leah Jo (or Josephine). I don't remember who the mom is, though! And I think Firefly's given name is Caroline.

May 30, 2011 10:28 AM

Yes Elizabeth T-I believe you are correct. Both Caroline and Leah are lovely names.

By guestina (not verified)
May 31, 2011 12:23 AM

I'd like to announce that you CAN custom order the little stamped metal California license plates with your child's unusual name. On some of those displays, there is a order form with a long list of underused classics that can be ordered for a small fee. There's also a place where you can request an unsusual name for a larger fee. I wish I knew the website address. Anyway, I know this is true, because my child who has an unusual name has a little metal California license plate (blue/yellow) with her name stamped on it.

May 31, 2011 1:30 PM

Hey Laura + all the readers who are pregnant and can't decide on a name check out this new app--