Villain Names: So Evil, So Stylish

Jun 9th 2011

My nine-year-old daughter approached me with a naming dilemma. She'd come across an appealing name in a book, but it was attached to a not-so-appealing character. Really, quite an unappealing character. As in horrifying and diabolical. Did that make the name off-limits for nice characters in stories, or future children?

The name in question was Jadis, the White Witch of Narnia. I had to hand it to her, that's one snazzy name. And unlike, say, Voldemort, I think you could get away with using it. The fact that the character Jadis is most often referred to by other titles helps, but the biggest factor is the name itself. Jadis is a tidy style synthesis -- Jada+Paris -- that sounds almost classic. Voldemort, meanwhile, falls wide of the fashion mark. (Vlad the Impaler + rigor mortis?)

In fact, parents do use the name Jadis at the rate of about ten baby girls a year ian the U.S. Do those parents not know or care about the villainy, or could the wicked vibe actually be part of the name's appeal? The number of baby Jadises rose with the release of the Narnia movies, which does point to a positive White Witch influence. There's plenty of precedent for such diabolical name sources. "Demon spawn" from horror movies, for instance, are reliable trendsetters.

Perhaps evil just has a distinctive sound and style, a tantalizing edge of danger imbedded in the name.

Unlike real-world bad guys, fictional villians are named with the job in mind. You'll find some deliberately innocuous choices, like Annie Wilkes of Misery. You'll also find plenty that are gleefully over-the-top, like Mister Sinister or Snidely Whiplash. But in-between lies a realm of names with just enough wickedness to give a thrill, without laughs or revulsion.

Take a look at the list below. All are prominent fictional villains with unusual names that have shown up in recent years' baby name records. Do you think the names themselves show a villainous kick?

(Note: In some cases the name has additional cultural associations, but none that spurred a significant U.S. naming history. I've skipped morally ambiguous characters like Anakin and Elektra, and names like Lucifer and Loki that pop up in too many villainous contexts to pin down. And before you ask, yes, there are babies named Lucifer.)

Auric (Goldfinger/James Bond)
Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
Jareth (Labyrinth)
Lex (Superman)
Kraven (Spiderman, Underworld)
Mystique (X-Men)
Stryker (X-Men)
Thade (Planet of the Apes)
Thanos (Marvel Comics)

EDIT - Per a reader suggestion, let's add Bellatrix (Harry Potter). That one's a particularly rich brew of attraction and danger: the belle of the ball crossed with a dominatrix.

Comments

June 9, 2011 10:08 AM

Are these names mostly given to boys? All of them sound like boys' names to me (except for Lex, which could go either way, and Mystique, which sounds like Monique).

Kraven is particularly interesting since it not only signals villainy, but also cowardice. I can't imagine saddling a child with those connotations, but maybe some parents think it sounds strong or cool.

June 9, 2011 10:39 AM

Some of those are kind of cool sounding I agree. Being not into science-fiction I wouldn't choose these names based on their connections, nor would I even necessarily know about those connections being out of the loop and not in my 20's playing video games or watching those kind of movies on screen. Even Twilight-names would not have been on my radar except for this board.

I would be curious about the upswing in names from the past horror movies. Things like Regan and Sybil while not being the evil-doers had odd properties that I might not want to have a child exhibit but they are okay names. Did they also experience an increase in use during their times?

June 9, 2011 10:37 AM

Mystique is female--and probably an interesting choice with the release of X-Men First Class.

It also depends on how obscure the villain is. One name in the "I like but wouldn't use" is Rhuobhe (pronounced "Rove"). In the Birthright world (a subset of Dungeons & Dragons), Rhuobhe is a corrupted elf dedicated to the extermination of humanity. Bad, bad guy. But the name is cool.

Oh, and what about Draco?

By Abby@AppMtn (not verified)
June 9, 2011 10:48 AM

I want to say that most of these names are just obscure enough that most people wouldn't know.

Except that once you know, well, there's no un-doing that. And you have to assume that most kids would be curious about their own names - even a little - and eventually stumble on their villainous name-sake.

The rules are different, too, if the bad guy's name was chosen because the name resembles a word that is negative in meaning - Kraven must've been chosen because of the word craven (cowardly), right? Changing it to a K changes it a little, but not enough to remove the stigma.

Jadis strikes me as surprisingly lovely. And even Anakin is growing on me.

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
June 9, 2011 10:49 AM

I know of a child named Iago, after one of Shakespeare's villain's. It is a striking name, but with such a strong connotation (and his parents would be very aware of it) I couldn't imagine giving it to a child.

I'm with zoerhenne--I don't know the connections to most of the names listed in the post. Kraven does sound villainous to me, but the others not so much. I went to school with a boy named Jared, and if I came across Jareth in real life, I would just assume it was a variation of that name.

I do like Jaris, though. I'm a sucker for -s names. I wouldn't use it as it feels a little too much like Jade + Paris, but it does feel modern.

By Guest - I love words (not verified)
June 9, 2011 10:49 AM

I literally LOL'd at this: "Voldemort, meanwhile, falls wide of the fashion mark. (Vlad the Impaler + rigor mortis?)"

I can borderline imagine giving my child the name of a book or movie villain whose source is going to be old-fashioned or outdated by the time s/he has awareness of it. I can't imagine giving him/her the name of a classic villain, biblical villain or someone who will likely still be on the radar when my child hits elementary school or beyond.

June 9, 2011 11:19 AM

Biblical villains? I've met Jezebels and Delilahs. I don't know a Salome, but it wouldn't surprise me.

On the other side (heroines), I wouldn't expect ever to meet a Haggar.

The male villains fare much more poorly, and definitely for historical reasons. Judas is on trend, but... yeah. Same with Herod. Nebuchadnezzar's not going anywhere for a long time. But Darius is okay! I haven't met a Pontius or a Pilate, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Can we start using (heroic) Abendego?

By AdrianaFiske (not verified)
June 9, 2011 12:08 PM

What about Hyde? As in Dr Jekyll and... It's a strong single syllable, is reassuringly masculine with its consonant-dominant sound, and it has a pleasingly old-fashioned ring to it. Could work.

Or Manson? It's heavily associated with real-life villain Charles Manson, but that gives a kind of sly, subversive edge to a very solid-sounding name. It's not far off from the popular Mason, and parents who want a rakish name that stands out without raising eyebrows could do worse.

There's also the biblical-mythological bad girl Lilith. For parents who liked Lily, but wanted something a little less common, or for those who like soft, fricative th names like Edith, it might appeal.

And for girls, there's also Lamia. She's John Keat's mythological serpent-succubus, and appears as an eerily seductive vampire in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. But it's also a beautiful, velvety name that might give a modern girl a wonderfully fiendish edge.

By JayF (not verified)
June 9, 2011 12:10 PM

Well, since Lewis was writing an allegory, and Jadis kills Aslan/Jesus, it could be possible that Lewis either consciously or unconsiously linked the name to Judas... In that case, I can say I don't like the name for a girl! And, since Peter was clearly a deliberate choice for the redeemer of Narnia from the hands of evil, I am inclined to think that Lewis had some intent in his name choices.

Aslan I think is a good name for a boy, even if it is a lion, but that's just me!

By RB
June 9, 2011 12:12 PM

What does it say about this Narnia fan that I guessed the name was Jadis after reading Laura's first paragraph?

I wonder if Mystique is not necessarily given as an X-Men homage but could be in the same category as Destiny and other word-names?

And Jareth might be a fake-Welsh mashup of Jared and Gareth. It sounds like the kind of thing someone could easily make up independent of the movie Labyrinth.

Linnaeus--I know an Abednego who goes by Abed, but I can't imagine Shadrach and Meshach coming back!

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
June 9, 2011 12:16 PM

@AdrianaFiske

I have Lilith on the list for girls, though I don't expect it to make the cut as two other names are duking it out. But I don't consider Lilith a "bad girl" at all, but a feminist icon.

@Linnaeus - Looks like there were 76 girls name Salome in the US last year, 24 Jezebels and 1692 Delilahs. I know of a woman named Haggar (a sister to a friend of a friend), but none were named that in the US last year!

By AdrianaFiske (not verified)
June 9, 2011 12:26 PM

@YetAnotherGuest: I love the feminist reclamation of Lilith, too! And as a girl who grew up in the 90s and witnessed the punk-folk music festival Lilith Fair, it's a name that I'll always have a soft spot for. Along with plaid flannel shirts and side ponytails, of course.

By AngelaAiea (not verified)
June 9, 2011 12:32 PM

June 9, 2011 12:37 PM

AdrianaFiske:

Ooh, Lamia! That's got lots of history, that's cool.

Manson and Hyde are excellent choices, too!

I was just thinking about Medusa (similar-meaning names like Gorgon and Eurayle aren't as attractive). Mythological Medusa was supposed to be beauty turned ugly, but who nowadays thinks of Medusa as ugly, but just dangerous?

As for gods and places of old religions, who might work? Loki? Abbadon? Hades? Apep? Sebek? Calebos (Caleb's cool)?

Funny story, Jareth was the name my high-school girlfriend and I came up with for a baby boy. Back in high school.

I often wondered about Abednego, because I commonly hear people refer to Abendego instead, for flow reasons.

By mk (not verified)
June 9, 2011 12:47 PM

I don't recognize any of those names.

I really can't think of any fictional name that is so villainous that it would take me back. They are just characters to me.

By Andzia (not verified)
June 9, 2011 1:13 PM

I have always loved Ursula... the most wickedly awesome octo-villian from The Little Mermaid.

Lilith, Jezebel and Delilah are all strong, feminine names. They also appeal to me because they are classic names that are not the female derivatives of classic male names.

@AngelaAiea: Bellatrix is beyond awesome. And I am a fan of Narcissa as well.

By Tally R (not verified)
June 9, 2011 1:20 PM

Some names I spotted at a high school graduation last week are:
Wyatt
Blake
Sawyer
Vinson
Kelsi
Bailee
Harley (m)

By C G D H (not verified)
June 9, 2011 1:46 PM

I am a grad student in American history and am always surprised when I find names like Jezebel, Herod, and Antipas in colonial New England. I wouldn't think twice about naming a child Salome, but imagine what it must have been like to have the name of a Biblical villain and have to grow up among Puritans!

By Guest-2011 (not verified)
June 9, 2011 1:57 PM

I don'r understand this, but in Germany the name Hagen is given to children every year despite the fact the Hagen was the murderer of Siegfried in the famous Niebelungen saga.

By Malimar (not verified)
June 9, 2011 2:15 PM

Lex Luthor's full name is Alexander Joseph Luthor - Lex is just a nickname. In practice, it could just as easily be short for Alexandra. As such, I would not be surprised if it were already much more common than the statistics would have one believe.

On the topic of Biblical villains: I've maintained for years that, were I to ever have children (which I won't), my firstborn son is to be named Tiberius. This name's image has been redeemed in recent times by one James Tiberius Kirk, but the historical Tiberius Caesar was by all accounts a pretty massive jerk. (Though his name fails to appear in the Bible itself, he's a Biblical villain in the sense that whenever the New Testament refers to "Caesar", it means Tiberius, the ruling Caesar at the time.)

June 9, 2011 2:15 PM

AngelaAiea wrote: "I rather like the sound of "Bellatrix", which is a wicked character in the Harry Potter books."

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I missed that one! Bellatrix fills the bill perfectly. The character is a creepy maniac, but the name is 100% of the moment: Bella with an X. Sure enough, there were 9 American babies named Bellatrix last year.

I'm going to take advantage of this fluid medium and shamelessly add it to the post. :-)

June 9, 2011 2:54 PM

Tally R-It's interesting how Tyranny slips so effortlessly into that list of names. Do people not think before they name their children or do they do these things purposefully to attract attention to themselves? If the latter is the case they should not be given birthing privileges, if it is the former than they should be give a copy of Laura's book.

June 9, 2011 3:26 PM

I know of a Gannon, but he was born before Legend of Zelda I think. I wish I knew him well enough to ask about his name! I would think the similarity to cannon appeals?

re: Hyde: I don't think Jekyll and Hyde would be my first association. I would assume it was used just as a surname. iirc one of the characters in That '70s Show was called (by his surname) Hyde.

Would Mystique be Misty+Unique? This is a fun game!

Tally R: Wow! I'd be interested to hear a little about the demographics of your area. I guess you posted only the interesting names though right? Assuming that's not a representative sample of the area..

June 9, 2011 3:51 PM

interesting names from my local listings:
Zylgen
Sheizen
Maddux
Maddex
Zalea
Axyl
Revel
Maddox and Matteo (twins)
Eleese
Viviya (I can so see this catching on.)
Masen and Mycah (twins)
Sarasa
Wren (g, love this!)

By Tally R (not verified)
June 9, 2011 4:05 PM

I only posted the names that stood out. It was my brother's graduating class and he told me that Tyranny is actually spelled Tyrannie and she has a twin sister named Teia.

June 9, 2011 4:28 PM

Tyrannie??? Even with the kreative spelling...c'mon. How about Povartie or Mizerie?

Ursula is still at the top of our list, despite the Disney octo-villian. Am I naive to think that there will be other Disney movies to capture their attention? Well, it's taking us so long to conceive, we've got plenty of time for the Disney canon to proliferate (fingers crossed for ivf#4). I guess that's one upside.

What about Medea? It's a pretty great name, but a pretty awful villain. Or Phaedre? Also beautiful, but kind of loaded.

June 9, 2011 4:55 PM

This subject has been on my mind as we are trying to come up with a name for our second daughter and have been contemplating Samara. We like the name because my 2-year-old, for some reason, is stuck on naming the baby "Sam" but we do not love the name Samantha. Samara is also very close to the name of my father's hometown and we like the actual meaning of the name. HOWEVER, a quick Google search reveals that many associate Samara with the scary girl from The Ring. I know the movie isn't necessarily one everyone will have seen, but I can't help but be disturbed that the association is there (and a Google image search of the name is quite alarming!). (I feel like the name is uncommon enough to encourage Googling amongst current and future friends and acquaintences). What do you all think? Also, does Samara bring about a connection to the Biblical Samaritan woman (another association we'd like to avoid)?

June 9, 2011 5:18 PM

Monty - Mr. Burns from The Simpsons
Tyler - Fight Club
Hans - Die Hard
Pandora - Greek Mythology

By Jazza (not verified)
June 9, 2011 5:19 PM

"Tyrannie" could be a respelling of "Tierney".

June 9, 2011 5:48 PM

Along the same line as Tyrannie, I know a little boy named Envehu$ (pronounced "envious").

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
June 9, 2011 6:20 PM

@Kate B - I haven't watched The Ring, so I had no idea of the connection. The movie made a splash when it came out, but I doubt it will have the holding power that will keep that connection strong for most people. I think if you love the name, you should use it. Another thought was Samira. It's close, though not the same. Just throwing it out there just in case you hadn't come across it yet.

@PennyX - I think I'm too old to know Little Mermaid references (except for Ariel) so I wouldn't think of that connection with Ursula. Surely there are enough other connections with that name that Little Mermaid wouldn't be the main association? It's a great name! Also: fingers crossed for #4!

@Jazza - I would pronounce Tyrannie and Tierney quite differently and would be very surprised to learn that the first was a creative spelling of the second.

By ThisIsMe (not verified)
June 9, 2011 6:44 PM

@ PennyX: Regarding Ursula and people moving on to other Disney movies... My opinion is Disney movies don't seem to fade. The Octopus-witch is still my immediate association to the name, just like Aurora is still Sleeping Beauty to me even though that movie is from 1959 and Mowgli is always "Jungle Book" even though that is over 40 years old.

That doesn't mean a cute little girl couldn't overcome that association to me, but it would be my first thought upon seeing/hearing her name.

By Tally R (not verified)
June 9, 2011 7:14 PM

I've never even seen The Little Mermaid but it's still what jumps to mind when I hear the name Ursula.

By rpcubed (not verified)
June 9, 2011 7:51 PM

PennyX, my sister named her daughter (now 2 years old) Ursula. They call her Zula exclusively. It has definitely grown on me. The only trouble is that their older daughter is named Eliza, and it is very easy to confuse the two!

I have decided that I am just stuck on the eh sound. My oldest thinks that I should go with it and name the baby Fredrick. Could I get used to Freddy? Maybe so. I think she just likes it because Fred is her favorite Weasley! We are also throwing around Teddy. I think Theodore fits in nicely with my bunch (thank you to whoever suggested that one.) Reuben is a great suggestion too, and even fits on my family tree. So far my husband is just rolling his eyes at me. It's a good thing I still have 4 months to go!

By sarah smile (not verified)
June 9, 2011 10:33 PM

One that has been in the news lately: Cersei, the evil queen in the new TV adaptation Game of Thrones. I believe the author has mentioned meeting little girls who were named after the character.

By hillary (not verified)
June 9, 2011 10:37 PM

My mom has a fourth grader in her class named Corleone. Just, wow.

June 9, 2011 10:51 PM

I really like Bellatrix (I like the character too, she's pretty awesome, even if she's totally evil!) and Draco, although at the end it seems that he's become a good guy (his son Scorpius however, not such a fan, makes me think of the character from 'Farscape'.)

Re. Hyde: I also think of the 'That 70s Show' character (his first name is Steven/Stephen,) but gets called Hyde by almost everyone.

Re. Anakin: I knew a family who named their dog this, but called him Annie. The parents in that family also let their two sons (C@meron and Z@chary) give their youngest(J3ss3) his middle name. They picked R0cket. Pretty cool right?

Re. Jadis: I never thought of it as being like Judas, but that makes total sense given the other religious symbols in the Narnia books. I want to reread them, because I read them in 5th grade and didn't get all of the religious stuff.

Re. Biblical villains: I know a Delilah, she's 15 and was British (spoke with an accent, but she might have been born in the US.) I think Lucifer would be such a cool name and I would be tempted to use it if it weren't for the... erm... negative connotations. Maybe for a cat. (My dream cat names are Cholera and Lucifer, not good for people though and Lucifer could be in homage to my current cat, Lucy.)

Re. Ursula: It's all Little Mermaid for me, but I don't know how that would translate to a baby born nowadays. Then again, Disney movies do have staying power and I'm sure little kids will know Ursula. That said, the more I hear it on this board, the more it grows on me. I'm sure I'd love it on a real live little girl!

By Andre (not verified)
June 9, 2011 10:53 PM

more villains:

Sylar (Heroes) - similar to Skylar, wonder why it never caught on considering how popular Skylar/er is for boys.

Klaus (Vampire Diaries) - big bad from the series, the creator of all Vampires, and has the ultra trendy/stylish K initial.

Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame) - psycho religious maniac. Has the -o ending that many parents love.

Cruella - come on, no one remember her? Plus her surname was De'Ville (Devil).

Loki (Thor) - Trickster god from the comics.

Akuma (Street Fighter) - evil version of Ryu and Ken, he is more powerful than these two.

Mxyzptlk (Superman) - Supervillain from the Superman comics. Seriously, can you get more evil than having no vowels and the letters x,y,z,k?

Kali (Hindu mithology) - Evil goddess

Ivy (Batman) - Well, she's poisonous you know...

Lucifer - duh.

Kefka (Final Fantasy) - he one of the baddest villains of the series

Dexter (Dexter) - cold blooded serial killer.

Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty) - probably the coolest and baddest female villain of all time. Even if it was from Disney.

Pandora - she opened the box...

June 9, 2011 11:19 PM

A Rose - Speaking of Disney movies, did you know that the cat in Cinderella was named Lucifer? It works on him very well.

June 9, 2011 11:28 PM

I think some of the villain names are easier to get away with than others. Where it's obscure (e.g. only hard core sci-fi fans would know of it) or has one single very strong reference it is harder. A lot of the names mentioned I think could be quite usuable, even some of the biblical ones.

For example, Lilith and Delilah I've seen used a bit lately. Lucifer on the other hand is pretty synonymous with a very bad guy so would have a much harder time being resurrected.

A lot of the Shakespeare villain names I don't mind, and even some of the sci-fi ones. I think if it's a recent tv show the name may be unusuable for a little bit then fade in people memories.

I do know of a young Sylar (about 18 months old). I found it odd at first but I think most people will forget the Heroes connection pretty quickly. I know a few Dexter's and it's also on my boy list and I have no issue with it at all. Yes, Dexter is a serial killer but he is a fairly nice guy and very likable character so I can see the appeal.

@PennyX - I really like Ursula and I don't assoicate it too much with the little mermaid. It's one of those names that people get over the association pretty quick once it's a child's actual name. I've found people who have kids named Oscar and Felix have said the association goes pretty quickly once there is a kid attached to the name.

@KateB - I do heavily associate Samara with the ring character. I think it's usable though as it isn't a name that's too out there, the movie is quite old now and people will get over it once they met a Samara. I actually know of someone with a Samara and they haven't had too many issues that I know of.

So no baby yet for me, and I've added all the suggestions from the last thread to my list (I responded over there). Will keep you all updated with progress/baby news!

June 9, 2011 11:55 PM

@ Karyn: I didn't know about the Cinderella cat! Maybe it seeped into my brain from the many times I've seen that movie and it's stuck lo these many years later.

@ KateB: I associate Samara with The Ring (I've only ever seen The Ring 2 and it was the first horror movie I ever saw and when I was 9, so slightly traumatic) but I'm sure I would get over the association once I met a kid with that name. People probably don't even remember the movie anymore.

June 10, 2011 3:26 AM

re: Tyrannie: well, it does have a nice sound. Like... Tiffanie? I mean I definitely see the problems with it, but trying to understand where the namer was coming from...

kate b: i knew a samarha (sp?) growing up so my first association is not the ring or samaritans. actually, now that you mention it, i guess i do think of the place samarha (sp?), which i guess is probably where samaritans came from...

re: Lucifer: I remember one day thinking how there were no names that have the same ending sound as Jennifer and trying to think if other names could be given that end sound. When I thought of Lucifer, I was like whoa.

June 10, 2011 6:14 AM

Regarding Samara:

I don't think it will be a problem. Yes, I think The Ring when I think of Samara, but honestly, it's not that bad of an association. The real-life Samara might want to avoid long black hair that covers her face (or, alternately, totally own that look), but otherwise, being named after something dangerous and mysterious is not negative, and even sometimes positive: Storm, Wolf, Hawk...

Finally, yes, The Ring is so last decade.

June 10, 2011 9:49 AM

As for names like Kraven, Talon, and Tyrannie: I just assume that the parents aren't "word people". They probably have some notion that the names they have chosen are words, but haven't thought seriously about the meanings and don't really care since they aren't word mavens. A friend was considering Talon for her son and seemed really surprised when I mentioned that the word meant a bird's claws. She couldn't have cared less. A few years ago someone on this blog was considering the names Miasma and Amygdala. She knew that the two names were nouns, but was quite off in her understanding of what they meant. She seemed quite shocked when told that her understanding of the words was wrong.

June 10, 2011 9:59 AM

True. Even though villains are evil, they are powerful and capable. Who doesn't want their child to be powerful and capable?

I wonder if there's a "sweet spot" of power and trend that will overcome the evil of a villain name?

Judas, for example, isn't a bad name per se, but the betrayal is really evil, and we don't really view the Biblical Judas as a strong individual--he's more of a chump, really. So the name stays on the bad list.

Delilah and Lilith, however, demonstrate a lot of deliberate power. So their names are okay.

You have to get really evil to make a powerful individual's name no good: Lucifer or Adolf, for example. What's your view of Napoleon?

ETA: The lens of history is important, too. Julius and Augustus are successful generals, great leaders, and elder statesmen, and not, say, Republic-destroying tyrants.

By almk42 (not verified)
June 10, 2011 10:49 AM

I actually like the name Judas, but probably couldn't pull it off, living in the south. I am Christian, and I don't know why other Christians would have a problem with the name. After all, if Judas hadn't turned Jesus in to the authorities, he wouldn't have died for our sins, right? Anyway, Judas is actually just one version of the name Judah. The name gets translated differently depending on the character in the Bible.

By RandomGuest (not verified)
June 10, 2011 11:16 AM

re: Samara. According to Wikipedia, they're planning to release The Ring 3 (in 3D) in 2012.

By Guest - I love words (not verified)
June 10, 2011 11:58 AM

This is from waaay back at 24, but Quetz@lcoatl, really?!? The Aztec winged serpent god (who it took me years of Spanish and history classes to pronounce correctly)?!?

Sorry, that is officially the most shocking name I have heard in a while.