The Male Madison?

Oct 11th 2012

The girl's name Madison holds a special place in name lore, because its popularity arose from a joke. In the 1984 movie Splash, a mermaid in Manhattan -- naïve to our language and culture -- took the name from a Madison Ave. street sign. To understand how the joke sounded at the time, imagine that she had named herself Roosevelt after the FDR Drive. But thanks to that golden-haired mermaid, a generation of girls grew up with Madison filed in their in their minds as a glamorous girl's name.

I've always considered Madison a unique case, but it has struck me that one other name has an oddly similar history. It's a surname, introduced as a not-quite-realistic assumed name by a glamorous tv/movie character in the 1980s. Any guesses?

Allow me to roll back the clock to my misspent junior-high years...

It's the 1980s. If you're a fan of humorous detective shows featuring a mismatched male-female pair of sleuths, brought together via a wildly unlikely premise to banter and solve crimes in an atmosphere thick with unresolved sexual tension, boy are you in luck! This is the decade of Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Moonlighting, and the mother of the sub-sub-genre, Remington Steele.

The high-concept premise of Remington Steele, as narrated in the season-1 opening credits by female detective Laura Holt:

"Try this for a deep, dark secret: the great detective, Remington Steele? He doesn’t exist. I invented him.

Follow. I always loved excitement, so I studied and apprenticed, and put my name on an office. But absolutely nobody knocked down my door. A female private investigator seemed so... feminine.

So I invented a superior. A decidedly masculine superior. Suddenly there were cases around the block. It was working like a charm... until the day he walked in, with his blue eyes and mysterious past. And before I knew it, he assumed Remington Steele’s identity. Now I do the work, and he takes the bows."

The invented "Remington Steele" wasn't quite a joke of a name, but neither was it supposed to be realistic. It was intended as a glossy cartoon, an exaggerated vision of the "decidedly masculine." In fact, it was just barely a personal name at all. In the first regular episode of the series, our heroine explained that she constructed the name from a typewriter and a football team.

A typewriter! Yes, Remington Steele hit the air before the first Macintosh computer, back in the days when typewriters were everywhere. The association with Remington typewriters would have been a familiar one. Today those typewriters are vintage curiosities, while a generation has grown up with the personal name Remington Steele in its cultural background. (It also helps that the Remington brand name lives on in the iconic Remington Arms Company, which was originally the same company as the typewriter maker. See more on gun names.)

Thirty years later, the glossy cartoon has faded and Remington just reads as a name. You can see that in the baby name popularity charts. Remington Steele premiered in the fall of 1982.

Comments

October 11, 2012 10:13 PM

Ok--that is just awesome. I love this!

October 12, 2012 9:03 AM

On the subject of Madison's joke, I once heard someone suggest that if the mermaid had named herself after Wall Street the Occupy Wall Street movement might have never been necessary if it made the name "fashionable" and we got a bunch of girls named Wall!

October 12, 2012 2:38 PM

Swoon! I so loved that show. I had plans to watch it with my best friend and next-door neighbor on my 14th birthday. I had a fever that day, but for some bizarre reason my mom made me go anyway--turned out to be a surprise party for me! Thanks for the memory. :)

By Joni
October 16, 2012 1:03 PM

I know a baby Remington, which promptly made me think, "that's a lot of name for a baby." Of course thinking of Remington Steele. I did not know, however, that the name started off as a 'joke'!

In this case, Remington's parents call him Remi.

By mac
October 18, 2012 6:24 PM

I went to high school with a male Remington. Lately there have been several baby girl Remington's popping up in my area, including my cousin's new baby. So far, she mostly gets called Remi. And yes, her dad is a hunter.

November 15, 2012 3:16 AM

Normally people attribute certain names to specific genders and the post that you have on your blog is pretty interesting. I have believed that are no such rules in naming a child and it for convenience that we have made a rule like that. The statistics that you have produced is clear indication that people have started to see this less important.

By Best
October 23, 2013 1:00 PM

Je suis curieux de savoir si vous jamais envisagé de changer la mise en page de votre site? Il a été très bien écrit, j'aime ce que vous dites. Mais peut-être que vous pourriez un peu plus de contenu dans un moyen pour que les gens puissent se connecter IT better.You ?J'ai eu énormément de texte, et seulement une ou deux photos. Peut-être que vous pourriez espace, il est mieux pour vous?
replique montre

November 8, 2013 6:24 AM

I feel this is one of the such a lot significant information for me. And i'm glad reading your article. However want to remark on few common things, The site taste is ideal, the articles is actually nice : D. Good process, cheers

December 17, 2013 10:21 AM

I've always considered Madison a unique case, but it has struck me that one other name has an oddly similar history.   iherb coupon

December 19, 2013 4:53 AM

I have found many useful things out of this blog. I’d love to visit it every once in a while.

The Hillford

December 23, 2013 4:31 AM

Man, this blog is just great ! I cant wait to read more of what you’ve got to say. I’m really happy.

online german tutor

January 7, 2014 6:07 AM

Looking forward for more post with useful tips and ideas.Thanks.

contact ee

January 8, 2014 5:15 PM

This kind of fantatic publish had been very perfectly published and it also includes numerous excellent information. bolt on lambo door kits

January 11, 2014 12:01 AM

Awsome article and right to the point. I don't know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you people have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thx :) seo for blogs

January 15, 2014 8:45 AM

But thanks to that golden-haired mermaid, a generation of girls grew up with Madison filed in their in their minds as a glamorous girl's name.   football stats

February 6, 2014 1:21 PM

You made some good points; I did a little research on the topic and found that most people agree with your blog. Thanks.

Riverbank

February 12, 2014 10:15 AM

so I studied and apprenticed, and put my name on an office. But absolutely nobody knocked down my door. A female private investigator seemed so... feminine. bubblegum casting

February 21, 2014 1:41 PM

But thanks to that golden-haired mermaid, a generation of girls grew up with Madison filed in their in their minds as a glamorous girl's name.    football tipster

March 5, 2014 9:58 AM

wholesale Snapback Hats are standard Unique and exquisite. The identical as snowflakes, vintage Wholesale Snapback Hats are typical diverse. Though you may devote a lot of time seeking these, you could possibly not NFL Snapback Hats commonly NBA Snapback Hatsfind a couple of which might be the identical. They all Baltimore Ravens Snapback Hatsare special taking into consideration that by far the most these Dallas Cowboys Snapback Hatshappen to be specialized or possibly included with from the entrepreneurs. At occasions, females New Orleans Saints Snapback Hatswould definitely adjust these for each Oakland Raiders Snapback Hatsand every and each with all the periods or conserve essentially the most current trends. That can be carried out the San Francisco 49ers Snapback Hats identical. Once you have quite a few ruined types, it really Seattle Seahawks Snapback Hatsis probable to bring them separate and

March 18, 2014 5:34 AM

Today those typewriters are vintage curiosities, while a generation has grown up with the personal name Remington Steele in its cultural background.   best golf clubs guide

March 24, 2014 5:21 AM

It's the 1980s. If you're a fan of humorous detective shows featuring a mismatched male-female pair of sleuths.   sivu

March 28, 2014 7:25 AM

That means it will never win a poll of a thousand random strangers from across the country. Debt Advice

By jams
April 1, 2014 9:41 AM

is bubblegum casting legitimate

April 2, 2014 7:13 AM

Naturally my first inclination was to inventory any type of plastic that was even remotely connected to foods and beverages.

dwi new york

April 5, 2014 4:48 AM

Warm beverage is generally filled with exotic fresh berry. It will always be suitable for summer season. It'll make the folks feel refreshing.

domain dicussions

April 5, 2014 5:38 PM

I am hoping the same high-grade blog posts from you in the upcoming time as well.

smplayer

April 6, 2014 1:41 PM

Your index provides me numerous creational insights that I can perhaps custom on my network sensitive over.

model mayhem

April 7, 2014 10:40 AM

It is great to have the opportunity to read a good quality article with useful information on topics that plenty are interested on

vietnam visa on arrival

April 9, 2014 6:48 PM

gclub casino

April 10, 2014 10:02 AM

Doesn't look to complicated to get started with it. I havn't been bothered to pay for a service like I know many others do!

nyc medicaid fraud

April 16, 2014 4:45 AM

descargar counter strike 1.6

April 20, 2014 6:48 AM

Thanks for great information I was looking for this information for my mission.

spécialiste