What Can Middle School Teach Us About Baby Naming?

Oct 25th 2012

My middle-school daughter recently made an observation about her classmates. She told me that everybody is trying hard to fit in, worried about seeming "weird"...AND that everybody wants to stand out and be seen as unique. It's pretty easy to get stressed out when you're constantly striving to achieve two opposite goals.

That quandary sounded awfully familiar to me. Not just from my own middle-school memories, but from a slice of adulthood that's near and dear to my heart. How often have I described the elusive dream baby name of our generation: the name that everybody knows and loves, but nobody uses?

"Everybody knows and loves" = popular and fits in.
"Nobody uses" = unique and stands out.

Are we doomed to a life of eternal seventh grade? I don't think so, because many of the social pressures that weigh on us in middle school do ease up over time. And as adults, we can look back at that time of our lives -- or watch our own kids navigating it -- and understand that there are better and worse ways to stand out and fit in. Suppose we apply some of that hard-earned wisdom to ourselves?

Lesson 1: Don't Be Afraid to Be Yourself
Few of us make it through our tween and teen years without making this mistake. We turn our backs on something we really, really want because we're afraid of what other people might think.

Maybe you skipped an event that you were looking forward to because somebody said it was "for little kids." Maybe you stopped talking to that nice boy who really seemed to like you because your friends thought he was a nerd. Maybe you didn't try out for cheerleading because that was for airheads. (Anti-conformist pressure can be just as limiting as conformist pressure.) Maybe, even now, you can still feel the echoes of regret.

The baby naming lesson? Don't be too quick to abandon the names you truly love. There will always be somebody who doesn't like an unconventional name choice, so one stray internet comment shouldn't ruin that dream name for you. On the flip side, sometimes being true to yourself means making the choice that speaks to your heart, even if it's "too popular" or "ordinary." Sophia is still a beautiful name, #1 in America or not.

Lesson 2: Don't Be a Slave to Trends
The juniors clothing department is an ever-churning trend engine. It's easy to get swept up in the machine, jumping on whatever's new whether the trends suit you or not. Before you know it, you find yourself with a closet full of clothes that are soooo five minutes ago, and a photo stream full of "what was I thinking" looks.

Since your child can't shop for a new name each season, you want to make sure that the name you choose has some staying power. That doesn't mean you have to ignore fashion altogether, though. Consider that Farrah and Bethany were equally popular and fashionable in 1977, but only one disappeared in a flash.

How can you tell whether the name you're considering is a fleeting trend or the cusp of a more lasting style? There's no perfect crystal ball, but try asking yourself:

- Would this name have sounded just as good to me five years ago?
- Did it suddenly become a hit out of nowhere?
- Did a celebrity debut it to the whole country at once?
- Does it particularly suit my family more than others in some way? (In clothes, if a trendy style is perfect for your shape and coloring, it can stay a wardrobe favorite for years. In names, a personal or cultural connection can give a name a lasting meaning beyond fashion.)

Lesson 3: Smart Is Cooler Than You Think
Hey, grownups! In your office, is everybody trying to avoid looking too smart, and angling to be seen smoking cigarettes in micro-mini skirts?

I thought not. If there's one rule of middle school that gets totally pulverized in the adult world, it's the one that places brains at the bottom of the social pecking order. Smart adults generally rise to the top.

As for what we call "attracting the wrong kind of attention" in middle school...it's not that adults don't want to be edgy or sexy. It's that we develop an appreciation of situational style. We're all for sexy on Saturday night, but smart on Monday morning.

Applying these lessons to the baby-naming world, may I suggest it's time to take a fresh look at nicknames?

This generation of parents has tried to take take firm control of kids' everyday names, insisting on the full formal versions or carefully choosing names without obvious nicknames. But isn't that like wearing a permanent business suit, or party dress? Rather than choosing a party-all-night name, or going crazy with the spelling, why not give your child the flexibility of a smart, serious name with a nickname that walks on the wild side?

Comments

October 25, 2012 12:39 PM

Love this article, Laura! I hated my name as a kid (Valerie Rose) because I was at the tail end of the Valerie trend and so it felt dated, and Rose was nowhere on anyone's radar, but now I love it, and am so glad I didn't change it to something momentarily trendy.

October 25, 2012 1:57 PM

As the mom of a new middle schooler, I found this poignant and hilarious at the same time. How funny that what's true for middle schoolers, also holds for baby-namers.

As for me, Amy was a dime-a-dozen name when I was growing up so I didn't like it because it was *too* popular. Over time, I came to realize that, popular or not, it really is a great name and it suits me perfectly.

October 29, 2012 5:48 PM

Just wanted to post the names of my grand children that I believe are unique

K'mi Nixzmarie Bell

Chad Wesley

Dai LaRose--pronounced (Day)

Nigh Tulip---wanted to name her Knight but my daughter thought it sounded like a boy name

Oh I named them all.  What do you think

November 15, 2012 3:13 AM

This is a pretty interesting post that you have posted on your blog and the observation that your daughter has made is very interesting and relevant indeed. I have believed that children of middle school are keen on observing. This emphasizes that the children are the people who observe others more than the elders and learning comes irrespective of one’s age.

December 9, 2012 12:29 AM

I agree. In my friend's 6th grade comm arts class there is a Kylie, Kylee, and a Kaylea. Its ridiculous!

March 14, 2014 3:30 PM

Before you know it, you find yourself with a closet full of clothes that are soooo five minutes ago, and a photo stream full of "what was I thinking" looks.   luotot

March 23, 2014 7:32 AM

Not just from my own middle-school memories, but from a slice of adulthood that's near and dear to my heart.   ecommerce design

March 24, 2014 12:03 PM

It's easy to get swept up in the machine, jumping on whatever's new whether the trends suit you or not.   Apple iPhone Case

March 28, 2014 7:25 AM

It focuses on names: what they mean to us, how they're changing, and how they reflect our preoccupation. Debt Advice

March 29, 2014 5:58 PM

In other words, we too are looking for the intersection of totally popular and totally unpopular. And just like the middle schoolers, we're tying ourselves in knots over it.   http://www.howlastlongerinbed.net

By jams
April 2, 2014 2:58 AM

is bubblegum casting legitimate

April 4, 2014 6:52 PM

Since your child can't shop for a new name each season, you want to make sure that the name you choose has some staying power.   magnesium citrate liquid

April 7, 2014 11:47 PM

Once again I want to express my gratitude for an excellent service I have received.It made my business trip to Croatia much more bearable and enjoyable.Mobile wallet

April 13, 2014 8:59 AM

Well, this might be smart to help look through on account of it turned out unfamiliar express along with several connected with people too, my partner and i generally discover new along with attribute items within this world wide web sign along with this might be the basic principle my partner and i generally check out this specific files finalizing system, along with this might be very supporting to help people..Best Garcinia Cambogia

April 15, 2014 10:59 AM

One of the reasons to asking the help of different research paper writing service is a lack of free time. Student would rather watch movie or play football than spend his time in the library. Actually, this is specification of our life.

April 21, 2014 2:22 PM

Best Weight Loss Products

April 26, 2014 1:14 PM

write my paper

April 30, 2014 8:36 AM

www.clash-of-clan.net

May 1, 2014 8:27 AM

Delighted to gab your blog, I appear to be forth to plus loyal points plus I guess we sum thirst to bless so numerous beneficial essays, blog to deal along us. volusion promo code

May 3, 2014 12:11 PM

I don't think so, because many of the social pressures that weigh on us in middle school do ease up over time.    walkerduncan.com

May 4, 2014 3:34 PM

We turn our backs on something we really, really want because we're afraid of what other people might think.   Leafs

May 12, 2014 10:28 AM

Thanks for sharing this information! I like the writing style. The post is written in very a good and it entails many useful information for me. I am so happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post.thanks a lot…Watersound real estate

May 24, 2014 2:22 AM

films streaming

May 27, 2014 4:45 PM
May 29, 2014 10:45 AM

free ad posting sites

June 2, 2014 6:38 AM

The baby naming exercise? Don't be besides rapid to recant the specifys you exactly embrace. There testament always be someone who doesn't equal an raffish mention volition, so person roam internet word shouldn't wrack that wish alias for you. freedebtconsolidationquotes.com

June 6, 2014 5:17 AM

font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

It was very interesting! I couldn't tear myself away from reading =) Maybe, the author got some useful writing tips from professional writing services?

June 13, 2014 4:07 AM

f the woman you want currently has you in the "friend zone", this is the part of the Girlfriend Activation System you'll want to pay close attention to.autos nuevos

July 5, 2014 2:55 AM

A affordables to post a milestone fare modern. It’s unbiased is always to in your bottoms, literally, moreover emotionally debut the one acceptable by positioning them in a numerous plentiful uplift soil consequently they ability been in the over recondite right previous. moccasins

July 7, 2014 3:37 AM

Inside place access way up, We domination homogeneous to help save gossip it really is broaden to the associates to aid side any coach transporting lack of any soccer drills speed owns propitious discover-how, knowledge nevertheless is indeed clever douceurs about how to help teacher elegances. twitter

July 7, 2014 7:09 AM

Every year, the Overt Place Fight to-dos thousands of baby venals from collection through the complete. Shoot by the Take Churl Neighborhood , it is the cosmos's oldest againsts largest schools' worldwide crisis reply. kik for pc

July 9, 2014 7:46 AM

Propitious to think writing indenture career canada, they showed me that mysterious audit alongsides snub to absolute approaches could produced the needed calmness for my econ map. So beholden.webcam

July 14, 2014 1:43 AM

Know-how arrays that you just number throughout the extremely important aspects to the image associated with buddy cable connections. Know-how overdos friend rank also snacks all people that you just pleasantness. divorce attorneys quincy ma

July 22, 2014 3:41 AM

Folks in the middle of depress concurrent charm frequently end up being conclusive to accomplish the vainglorious, so quickly work them to practice currently being previous-fashioned just about any virtually all to try and do your fortuitous they're pain produced obtainable.Online Chandlery

August 2, 2014 8:43 AM

serrurier paris

August 4, 2014 3:53 AM

Simpsons tapped out hack

August 12, 2014 3:45 AM

Fabulous mangle! Ubiquitous i normally outburst worthless from feedback whilst my feeling closes i go to a norm unconventionally plus eternal fabulous. I do suspicious we essential synonymous those that manner important. Extend that can upwards, need attention's. please click the up coming article

August 13, 2014 3:44 AM

serrurier paris 9

August 25, 2014 7:37 PM

It takes time to select a baby name. It's a hard work than buying dresses for kids. T-shirt

August 26, 2014 4:01 AM

I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best Seaside FL real estate

By raza
August 26, 2014 9:55 AM

Free PDF Ebooks

September 2, 2014 4:02 AM

In other words, all of us too are searhing for the actual intersection of entirely well-known and also entirely unpopular. gutter protection ma

September 8, 2014 8:28 AM

What abstracts a excellent endeavor dramatist from a huge paper author is their talent to arrogate the most dreary submissive in the mankind also force it toward something persons indeed wish to predict. Magnet