Ten Baby Names That Make You Feel Good

Nov 1st 2012

It feels strange writing a baby name column today, in the wake of a natural disaster close to home. Too many of my friends and relatives are still reeling from the effects of this week's mammoth storm. But instead of putting baby names aside, I'm going to ask the names to do one of the things they do best: let you dream a little bit, with the joyous optimism that can get buried in prenatal testing and crib safety ratings (let alone sitting in the dark, wondering when your town will come back to life).

With best wishes to everyone in Hurricane Sandy's path, here are some names that dream happy dreams.

Amity

Dulce

Felicity

Joy

Lark

Leaf

Marigold

Pax

Primo

Sunday

Comments

November 1, 2012 5:22 PM

How interesting that most of them are girls' names. Two additions, also on the girls' side, are Happy and Rainbow. They verge on trippy, especially together, but there you have it.

November 1, 2012 3:49 PM

I know a Lovely, and she sure lives up to the name!

November 1, 2012 5:11 PM

My son's middle name, Seeley, is a variant of a family surname... but it's the meaning ("happy, blessed') that really sold me on his name.

November 1, 2012 8:42 PM

Loveday has a long history as a given name and I think it certainly falls into this category as well!

By PJ
November 1, 2012 11:42 PM

There is also Felix which means happy.

November 4, 2012 5:12 AM

My son's name Judah means 'praise'

November 23, 2012 8:08 PM

i was out of power for only 24 hours (immediately before giving birth, too), during Sandy. on the way to the hospital we discovered a road closed that led directly to it, so rerouting was a must, i was surprised that not one baby born that week, according to nurses, was named after Sandy or any facet of a storm name. i asked each day we were there, which ranged from the 31st until 5 november. my baby was born on halloween day, and we were flooded (don't mind the pun) with suggestions of 'tempest', storm, etc. for middle names, but as many of you may know, we used Elise Azalea.