New: International Baby Name Popularity Lists

Feb 2nd 2012

Ever wonder what the most popular names are in Lithuania, or Israel? At BabyNameWizard.com, we wonder about those things all the time. That's why we keep tabs on baby name statistics from around the world.

Now you can too. Our new international name popularity page shows the latest rankings from 36 different countries and regions.

If you just can't wait to know about Lithuania, the top names are Matas for boys and Emilija for girls. (In other words, Matthew and Emily.) And in Israel...well, I'll let you see for yourself, but it's reminiscent of Oliver and Olivia being #1 in England.

Go check out the international name lists!

Comments

By Tatjana (not verified)
February 3, 2012 4:15 AM

Great resource, Laura!

Where did you get the Germany data from (since there are no official statistics as far as I know)? I'm asking because here in Germany I saw very different lists reported... http://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/ is one common source where some lists are compiled, and they differ a lot from the ones you have. Your list sounds a little more like *middle* names (Maximilian, Alexander, Sophie) than first names: Ben, Leon, Lukas/Mia, Emma, Hanna.

February 3, 2012 4:18 AM

Useful and fun! I usually just google to get international lists. Much more convenient to have them in one spot. Now if only Australia had national stats.... the state I live in only releases a top 10, very disappointing :(

By Kevin123 (not verified)
February 3, 2012 6:38 AM

All germany data under one roof

By Canadiannamer (not verified)
February 3, 2012 11:10 AM

I wish Canada did national statistics like the US - I tend to think Canada is similar enough to the US to be able to gauge, but it would still be very interesting to see the differences/similarities and just overall stats in general.

February 3, 2012 12:27 PM

Interesting lists Laura.(Just so you know the girl list for Poland is labeled boy when you go to the actual list).

Chimu-I thought of another name for you regarding a sibling for Malachi. How about Lionel?

February 3, 2012 5:04 PM

How fun! I love having the lists all in one spot and I find it especially interesting that Benjamin is #1 for boys in Chile. We often jokingly call my brother Benjamin "Ben-ha-meen" but I guess it is a really popular name in one country anyway!

And, I'm so happy I remembered my password to my Anne with an E id finally! I've been posting as Jessica @ Quirky Bookworm, but now I'm legit again. :)

February 3, 2012 5:07 PM

By the way, my little sister settled on a name for the baby girl arriving in March -- Anna Kate! Sort of in homage to me and my mom.

I like it because Anna Kate and her cousin Eleanor Kathryn are both after my mom, but different.

By Marit (not verified)
February 3, 2012 6:45 PM

These lists are great. I am due with a baby (gender unknown) next week, and I think we are settled on names but having last minute jitters. I do like names that feel international or worldly. My husband and I are Jewish, and he also likes biblical and Israeli names. The names we have now are Lena Marion and Micah Jake. I feel great about our girl's name but sometimes waver on the boy. I also love names like Emil, Elliott, Jonas, Toby/Tobias. How do our names sound to you? Before the baby is born, I would love some feedback/advice before we settle for sure! Many, many thanks in advance from a hormonal pregnant soon-to-be-mom!

February 3, 2012 10:40 PM

Anne with an E-Welcome back! Anna Kate is lovely.

Marit-I like the names you've picked but feel that as a sibset Lena and Emil match more closely in style. the sound is similar though so it might not work for you. Micah Jake just has a stop to it that makes it not quite right for me. I think you need a 2 syl mn. However,what is more important is how you and your dh feel about it though. Some additional thoughts if you need them:
Micah Levi; Micah Owen; Micah Ezra; Micah Emmett;
Micah Joel; Micah August; Micah Jude
Emil Josiah; Emil James; Emil Abram

By Hera
February 4, 2012 1:56 AM

I'm loving the list for Quebec girls. A beautiful mix of English and French sounding names.

By Guest Rachel (not verified)
February 4, 2012 2:59 AM

Just so you know . . . there's a typo in the year on the Israeli boy page.

By Esther E. (not verified)
February 4, 2012 5:39 AM

@Marit Is it appropriate to say mazel tov? Will you be naming your child immediately or waiting? I always thought the period of unnamedness is very sweet.

I love the name Lena Marion. It reminds me immediately of Lena Horne though (which is a positive association for me).

Micah is a great name. I'm not crazy about it paired with Jake. Is there a reason you didn't want Jacob? or Jack?

If you were looking for a sibset I'd suggest Micah Elias and Lena Marion. Elias is a relative of Emil and Tobias and the names match in syllables and sounds.

Here are some more Jewish or Hebrew names I love: Chaim (I know an adorable baby Cai), Ari, Ezra, and Seder (that last one isn't a traditional name, but if Natalie can name her baby Aleph, I figured why not!)

Looking up Lena in the Namipedia, I came across Ethan. It might be a good match for Lena Marion, which doesn't sound Jewish at all (but is!) Maybe Ethan Micah would work for you?

I'm sure your baby will help you name him or her when the time comes. Good luck!

February 4, 2012 1:55 PM

How cool!

The link for the Bulgarian girls name list isn't linked properly, you have to through the boys list to get to it. And the girls name Rosica is probably best spelled phonetically in English as Rositsa or Rositza. The "ts" sound in Bulgarian Cyrilic is usually transliterated this way.

By Foghorn O'Kalashnikov (not verified)
February 4, 2012 2:45 PM

Maybe I'm just missing them somewhere but can you add links to the sources of the data?

The Irish lists are interesting in that if you read the Irish Times birth announcements there's of course lots of Lucys and Harrys and the like but I always assumed that beyond upper middle class Dubs the names would be a bit more varied. Daithi was always my favourite boys name but you don't meet to many Daithis these days. Good to see it's still top 100. Also "Patryk"? Really? We're going that route in Ireland now too? Ugh.

By Marit (not verified)
February 4, 2012 5:48 PM

Thanks so much for the comments. Micah Jake would be after my husband's and my two late grandmothers - Marion and Jacqueline "Jake". Emil isn't after either... i just love it. We have so struggled with a boy's name, and this is the only one we both like. After each conversation we come back to it, and I do like it, I'm just not feeling thrilled with it, like I am for our girl's name. Is this normal? I really appreciate all of your help and feedback!

By need2Xthehelp (not verified)
February 4, 2012 10:49 PM

I am also in need of some last minute naming advice. As a very long time lurker here (years and years) and a lifelong NE, I thought I would have no trouble when it came time to choosing my own kids names-Ha! I am now weeks away from delivering twin girls (our first and almost certainly last) and we still have not really settled on a set of names.
I have always been in love with slightly-frilly-latinate-scrabble-point names like Ginevra, Lavinia, Lucrezia, Ottavia, Aurelia, but even I think they may be too much in a double dose, especially combined with our multisyllabic Italian last name (think Antonioni). Once my husband started reading baby name books he went in a big way for Celtic-surnameish types, which is not totally my style, but my favorites on his list are Arden, Teagan, Finley.
Lately we have been tossing around some simpler but still feminine names like Alma, Cassia, Chiara, Isla, Lyra, Lydia, Luisa, Petra, Sabina, Willa. I like but don't love some of these names, and still find myself gravitating towards 3 syllables vs 2. I guess the one thing we are clear on is we don't want names in the top 100.

I am interested in your thoughts on these various sets and how to pick two without being either too discordant or too matchy-matchy. (not terribly worried about middles at this point, probably will both get my maiden name-- if we can just come up with two firsts we like equally that go well together but are distinct, I will be thrilled.) I worry giving one a more androgynous name and one a very girly one will not be good. I worry giving them both uncommon Italian names that end-in-a will make them impossible for others to remember which is which. Mostly I worry that they are going to come any day now and we have not figured this out!

February 4, 2012 11:01 PM

@need2Xthehelp, congratulations on your twins! How exciting. From your list I would choose Petra and Willa in a moment. Second choice would be Sabina and Lydia or Cassia and Lydia - very pretty without being too frilly. Good luck!

February 4, 2012 11:22 PM

need2xthehelp-Congrats on expecting! I also love the 3rd set of names you offered. The 2nd set is okay as the 2 syl names work better I think than the 3. 3 is just such a mouthful. Of what you've listed I would choose Lydia with Isla or Cassia. I might guide you to peruse slightly more common 3 syl names if you just can't get away from them w/o breaking your heart. Things like Cassandra, Alexandra, Philippa are longer more formal names with fun short nn's so the girls would have some flexibility. Other names like Samantha, Natalie, Francesca may be in the top 100 but you should realistically think about how much they are used in your area. My dd is named Natalie and although it was around #17 for her birth year we only know 1 other in the elementary school (k-5) and only occasionally run into on the playground.

By hyz nli (not verified)
February 4, 2012 11:58 PM

2xthehelp, congratulations and good luck! I think you have a lot of good and interesting options, but some very different styles there--it will be nice no matter what you do, so just relax and try to do what feels right. Here are some possible matches from your list:

From your faves:
Ginevra and Ottavia
Aurelia and Cassia

The toned down set:
Alma and Luisa
Cassia and Willa

The compromise:
Isla and Arden

My faves:
Willa and Petra (just had to second Amy3 here--love these!!)

I think all of these are different enough that they will not be confused generally (none share beginning or middle sounds, just endings), but are similar enough to coordinate, and none of them are too overwhelming with the long Italian surname. I've never been a huge fan of Teagan, and I do think Finley is very androgynous, but I honestly like Arden. I'd pick one of the less frilly names to pair with it, and I think Isla works nicely--if you are looking to compromise, I think you could certainly do much worse than these two!

By EVie
February 5, 2012 12:41 AM

need2Xthehelp - I love your style! I'm a big fan of Latin names.

Of the names on your first list, I think Aurelia and Lavinia are the most versatile in terms of pairing with other names. This is in part because they're more timeless--while the rest are modern Italian names in their form & spelling, Aurelia and Lavinia are the same now as they were in classical Latin, meaning they pair well with names of various derivations. These all sound good to me:

Chiara and Aurelia, or Chiara and Lavinia (modern Italian + Latin)
Lyra and Aurelia, or Lyra and Lavinia (Greek + Latin)
Lydia and Aurelia (this doesn't work so well with Lavinia) (Greek + Latin)
Cassia and Aurelia, or Cassia and Lavinia (Greek via Latin + Latin)
Isla and Aurelia, or Isla and Lavinia (modern Latinate name + Latin)
Alma and Aurelia, or Alma and Lavinia* (Latin + Latin)

*This one has a very Victorian feel to it

Alternatively, I think the modern Italian names pair best with other modern Italian names, e.g. Chiara and Lucrezia, Chiara and Ginevra, etc. With your surname, though, these names are going to sound very, very Italian (which I think is great, as I'm Italian myself... but it sounds like you might be a bit unsure about it).

Of your husband's Celtic-surname choices... well, I have to confess that I don't really care for the style, and it's a big contrast with your flowery Latinate names. The one exception I think is Arden, which I love. Arden to me is very Shakespearean (the Forest of Arden is the setting for the play As You Like It). I LOVE the idea of Arden paired with one of the classical names:

Arden and Aurelia
Arden and Lavinia
Arden and Lyra
Arden and Lydia
Arden and Cassia

Or, Arden and Isla has a more British Isles place-name spin to it, and also works well.

Lastly, I might suggest that you look at some names that are derived from Latin but don't end in a. A few that I like:

Mirabel
Felicity
Cecily
Verity

These all pair really well with Aurelia and Lavinia, but avoid the matchiness that you would get if you used, say, Cecilia.

By need2Xthehelp (not verified)
February 5, 2012 3:43 AM

Thanks for all the feedback so far-I knew you all would have some great input.
Arden is also far and away my favorite of my husband's list, I just haven't been able to come up with something that felt similar that I liked nearly as much (Teagan and Finley were very distant seconds for me) and was worried a pair like Arden and Aurelia, though I love both names, might read boy-girl twins to some. I do think Arden and Isla works better in this regard somehow.

@EVie -I had been searching for some classics that did not end in a and we did have Cecily on our next longest shortlist, so you are on target there, and it is not totally out of the running.

@Zoerhenne Francesca was also on our longer list so you too are in the zone.
in terms of local popularity-we are older overeducated parents surrounded by more of the same in our urban liberal environment (in the US). Among my acquaintances under 5 I know multiple Olivers and Sebastians and not a single Aiden, Braden or Jayden of any flavor. For some reason I know far fewer little girls, but can roughly imagine how this might translate...

By NJ
February 5, 2012 8:15 AM

Foghorn - the 'alternative' spellings are actually the choices of the large Eastern European population in Ireland in the later part of the Celtic Tiger boom. Although, as these families are now moving back to Lithuania, Latvia, Poland etc en masse, I'm guessing these names will fall out of the top 100. These names include Zuzanna, Oliwia, Patryk, Kacper, Filip and Jakub.

By EVie
February 5, 2012 2:55 PM

need2Xthehelp - I've known only one Arden in real life, and it was a girl (also in an overeducated urban liberal environment, though born about 30 years before your twins). So for me it reads decidedly feminine. It does see some use for boys, but only a fraction of what it's seeing for girls (for 2010, Arden was #1248 for girls, with 191 born that year, but #2330 for boys, with only 54 born—that's 28% the usage). I think the Elizabeth Arden cosmetics association also skews the name feminine, if only subconsciously. So, while you will probably get a few people making mistakes (just because the name is rare for either sex), I don't think it needs to be a huge issue.

Random trivia: I just looked up Elizabeth Arden and learned that her real name was Florence Nightingale Graham. Two beautiful names, and a interesting example of homage-by-naming.

By EVie
February 5, 2012 3:02 PM

More random name trivia that I found: Florence Nightingale's father was actually born William Shore; Nightingale was the surname of his maternal great-uncle. William took Nightingale as his surname when he inherited his great-uncle's estate. His elder daughter (Florence's sister) was named Frances Parthenope Nightingale, and was called Parthenope. It comes from the Greek name of the city of Naples, where she was born.

February 5, 2012 11:46 PM

@2xneedthehelp, Congratulations!

While I like many of your longer frilly names (first list) I agree they *may* be too much with a long Italian surname. Of course if you don't mind that sound they will certainly work but I think the 2 syllable names work better.

Of the first list my favourites would be Ginevra and Aurelia.

Of the second list I really only like Arden. Finley and Teagan are just NMS.

Of the third set I like pretty much all of them and think they do mix and match well.

I like Arden with either Isla or Willa as a match if you wanted to mix up the styles a bit.

Favourite combos would be the following:
Willa and Lydia
Chiara and Isla
Luisa and Petra
Cassia and Isla
Sabina and Willa

I also like Aurelia and Chiara together ( I have a friend Chiara with a baby Aurelia, so I think they go well together).

You could also go for a combo like Ginevra and Lydia or Isla and Aurelia so that they have differing number of syllables in their names.

I think you have lots of combos that work well together and aren't too matchy. Probably avoid the same number of syllables and same starting letter like Lydia and Luisa or Cassia and Chiara as they are a bit on the matchy side.

By mk
February 6, 2012 1:31 AM

@2xneedthehelp: I actually prefer your first list the most. I have a similar style first name and a multisyllabic last name and I never thought it too much! Though others may think it's long, I suppose. Of the Celtic names, the only one I like is Arden. I've only known one Arden, who was female, so to me it's a female name.

I like the following pairs:
Aurelia and Arden
Lavinia and Luisa
Sabina and Lydia
Willa and Sabina

February 6, 2012 5:41 AM

@need2Xthehelp

I love your style! And I think the previous commenters have made great suggestions for pairing from what you listed.

I wanted to try to come up with some additional three-syllable but SHORT (five letters max) names that would go well with your long last name (and each other). Hope you like them.

Delia and Alina
Elisa and Diega
Celia and Adela
Rania and Elida
Lucia and Kimya
Nadia and Paola
Aria and Talia

February 6, 2012 5:02 PM

need2xthehelp:

You've got a bunch of possibilities to choose from, and I'll just add to the list. I'm trying to choose names that combine the sensibilities of the three lists (frilly Italian, Celtic surname, Modern femininity) into a whole.

One solution is to start with a long name of one style, shortenable to a nickname of another style:

Magdalena (nn Maggie)
Melania (nn Milla)
Lucrezia (nn Lucy)
Ottilia (nn Tilly)

Or, we can combine the styles into a single name:

Ardith
Livia
Csilla
Ilona
Sybille

Would something like that work for you and your husband?

By Anna S (not verified)
February 6, 2012 7:01 PM

@2xneedthehelp

With a long Italian surname... I'd go with shortish first names. Gives a better balance, I think. But it also depends on the flow - it can go either way.

That said, unless you're specifically seeking to honour some Celtic roots, I'd stay with Latin-ish names just so that the overall result isn't a case of clashing styles.

I like Petra & Willa (and I'm apparently not the only one). Willa isn't exactly Italian-sounding but it still ends in an -a.

Also (stealing ideas from here and there):
Petra & Claudia
Francesca & Alma (I like the contrast - two individuals, not two copies).
Julia & Louisa (not Giulia and Luisa because I'd pick the most Americanized spelling).
Clara & Lucia (too Italian?)
Sophia & Paola (...same)
Victoria & Rafaelle

By hyz nli (not verified)
February 6, 2012 11:13 PM

2xthehelp--if you love the longer names, and your husband is on board, I don't see why the long Italian surname should necessarily be a hindrance, as long as it has a nice rhythm to it. Italians have been doing it forever. You just have to own it--like Isabella Rossellini (who wikipedia says is actually Isabella Fiorella Elettra Giovanna Rossellini--now THAT's a mouthful, but a lovely one). It also helps that a lot of the longer names have ready nns, so they can shorten it if they want to at any point.

By Blythe (nli) (not verified)
February 7, 2012 11:38 AM

2xthehelp: I really like your 'compromise' list, and especially the aforementioned Willa and Petra.

On the Arden-Teagan-Finley end of things, there's also Afton, or Greer perhaps, both of which I would read as female in North America. Actually, Arden and Blythe would go pretty well together, too (it's my screen name, not my real name!).
____

I had so much fun coming up with Alistair siblings, and then realised I'd missed the real discussion. Oh well...I'm posting my Alistair siblings here just because.

Brothers: Fergus, Crispin, Archibald, Ewan, Gregor, Bertrand, Colum, Wilfrid or Wilfred.

Sisters: Elspeth, Marion or Marianne, Kinvara, Clemency, Leonora, Florence or Flora.

From the original list that Laura has I really like Iona, Beatrix, and Finola, but I would replace Irish Finola with the Scottish variant Fenella/Finella.

I really like the new international section on the site, but would it be possible to link through to the source data?

By Juulie with two u's (not verified)
February 7, 2012 4:09 PM

Laura, just a comment on your blog... I wish there would be a way to keep the comments below your actual blog entries on the topic of that entry. The other conversations about people asking advice and sharing experiences unrelated to that blog entry are interesting, but couldn't they be somewhere else?

By Minka (not verified)
February 7, 2012 6:48 PM

@Marit- We recently named our son Micah, and have not regretted it. I too felt lukewarm about the name, but I think I get more excited by girls names in general. Once he was here, it fit, and we love it. His middle name is Zev. The only annoying thing is that people sometimes mispronounce ir--Mee-kah, rather than My-kah.

By kasey (not verified)
February 15, 2012 9:26 PM

You can add Portugal, found it here http://portuguesenamepop.weebly.com/

July 12, 2019 2:29 AM

Update Happy Wheels apk online.