Enter the 2011 Baby Name Pool!

Mar 8th 2012

You've heard them in the schoolyards. You've watched them on tv. You may have even chosen one or two yourself. But how well do you really know baby names?

It's time to find out. Enter the 7th Annual Baby Name Pool.

Match wits with hundreds of other name enthusiasts, guessing the top rising and falling names of 2011. If you win, I'll extol your brilliance and grant you a year's worth of worldwide bragging rights! And if your predictions are total clunkers, nobody ever has to know that you entered at all. Good deal, huh?

The rules are simple: list three names that you think rose the fastest in the United States in 2011, and three you think fell. When the U.S. government releases its official name stats in May, I'll tally the results using the Baby Name Wizard Hotness Formula. The top total scorer gets the glory.

So it's simple...but not easy. You might spot a hot new name anywhere, from your neighborhood playground to Bollywood. Even celebrity influence is tricky to predict. Last year, America's top baby-name style maker wasn't Angelina Jolie or "American Idol," but a pregnant teenager from MTV's "Teen Mom." (And fast-falling names are even trickier -- quick, what names have you NOT thought about this year?)

If you haven't played before, you can read more details and check out the fastest rising and falling names of the previous year to get a sense of how name fashions operate. Then convince your friends and coworkers to enter and compete against you. (This is an equal-opportunity contest, by the way; we've had male and female winners.)

All entries must be received by April 15. Think of it as a fun antidote to tax filing.

Ready to go? Fill out your ballot now!

Comments

March 8, 2012 5:59 PM

This is the best time of year! I love this contest AND I get reminded to do my taxes. Thanks Laura!

March 8, 2012 10:35 PM

Yes, and after Laura's contest the new rankings come out! Ah, the joys of spring. :)

March 8, 2012 11:28 PM

I can't believe that another year has passed already..

By Angela Dawn (not verified)
March 9, 2012 10:08 AM

Ok, I'm excited! I've been waiting for the new rankings. I put some names on a watch list, and I want to see how those names do!!!

By Jane 7 (used to be Jane 6) (not verified)
March 10, 2012 9:42 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread so soon but, I am expecting our 7th and last baby. We don’t know if it is a girl or a boy yet, but of course I am already thinking of names. We are having the hardest time with boy names. There are a lot of names that have perennially been on our long list… and basically that’s all we’ve got. If you don’t mind, I’ll share them, along with our thoughts on each. Please weigh in with opinions and suggestions. Feel free to opine on middle name options, too. We’ve done family names in the past, but at this point pretty much everyone has been honored whom we are going to honor:)

Our other children are:
Anne Juliet (Juliet)
John Stewart (John)
Charles Wallace (Charlie)
James Michael (James)
Patrick Eugene (Patrick)
Joshua Edmund (Jep)
(Joshua is named for my dh, not really my style otherwise.)

Ok, here are the boys names we are considering:
Albert - I never really considered this name before, but I am strongly drawn to it this time around. I think it might qualify as nerdy-cute. But I’m worried that there are no nicknames that I like (I dislike Al, Bert, and Albie), and also that people will not see the cute part of the nerdy-cute balance.
Colt - I have always liked this name, as a nature name. I’m not sure how many people will associate it with the gun over a young horse. I’m also worried that it is too trendy/trying too hard.
Cormac - Neither of us is Irish, and I actually don’t like Cormac McCarthy all that much, so I might feel a little strange using this name. I basically just like the sound and the nicknames Cor and Mac. Anyone have any other Cor- names to suggest?
Finn - Again, trendy. On the other hand, add up all the Finns and Fin- names (Finlay, Finnegan, etc.) and it’s still not as popular as James or Joshua, so… Also, I like the effortless cool of this name.
Horatio - This is a great name, but it might be too much. What do you think?
Inigo - Same as above.
Isaac - We aren’t really Old Testament name people. Partly this is because that trend feels so played out among our acquaintances. But this name is (maybe) the exception.
Keats - Is this just insufferably preppy? I love Keats, and it seems like potentially a snappy name, but maybe it’s just too much? I could also see it as a snappy middle name for a girl, which is not normally my style, but… well… I just like it.
Louis/Lewis - Dh likes this one a lot, but it feels a little limp to me.
Miles - Dh would have to be talked into this, but I’m not sure what I would say. I basically just like the sound and the jauntiness.
Raoul - I was reading about Raoul Wattenburg and just fell in love with this name. I would totally do it except that I think most people would assume it was the hispanic Raul. That is only a problem because my husband is half-Mexican and his family is third-generation and pretty thoroughly Americanized, to the point where using a hispanic name would seem very strange to his family. Other kids in the same generation are named things like Noelle, Hannah, and Erica.
Read - Too preppy? Colorless?
Thomas - This, along with William, is the obvious next choice for our family. The problem is that both of these names have been on all the boy lists, and they are both starting to seem like permanent also-rans.
Walter - I love this, but our last name is two syllables and ends in -er, so the flow is bad. Still, I love the idea of a little Walt. I’m starting to wonder if I can just use Walt?
William - See Thomas.

Finally, we have decided that we won’t use another J name as a first name.

March 11, 2012 10:37 AM

Jane-Congrats! I love all your currently used names. You have a wonderful naming style. The only other Cor- name I can think of is Corbin which I like for you a lot. It combines Cor-and Finn and is not TOO Irish since it has the -n ending it fits with trends. There are other names in that category such as Declan, Colin, Shawn/Sean. I like Isaac or Isaiah for you as well. As far as the others you mentioned these are my thoughts:
Albert - meh, maybe as middle
Colt - trendy, maybe as middle
Cormac - see above
Finn - see above
Horatio - no
Inigo - no
Isaac -see above
Keats - cute even for a girl but middle material not first imo
Louis/Lewis - maybe
Miles -maybe
Raoul - no
Read - maybe
Thomas or William - safe but nice
Walter- cute, maybe
Some combos:
Corbin Albert; Thomas Isaac; Louis Colt; Walter Miles; Declan Reed and Colin would match with a number of mn's
Other FN suggestions:
Leo/Leonard; Liam; Samuel; Daniel; Lucas;
Dylan; Hugh; Lance; Logan; Vaughn;
Mitchell; Warren; Elias; Dermott; Kyle; Adam
Blake; Gavin; Calvin; Grant; Cooper
**I like Calvin Grant as a combo. Also, Daniel Adam; Hugh Mitchell; Dylan Cooper; Kyle Leonard; Samuel Vaughn; Gavin Blake; Warren Elias; Leonard Dermott; Logan Thomas; Lucas Matthew

By hyz nli (not verified)
March 12, 2012 11:31 AM

Jane 7, congratulations! Only time for a quick note here, but I'd say:
Albert - I know this one is gaining ground here, but I still see the nerdy side much more than the cute side. Maybe Alban?? Alden? Alder? Abram? Amos?
Colt - I also love this as a nature name (I'm a horse person--it just sounds so dashing and darling to me), but I think most will see it as a trendy western name, like Chance, Cash, Maverick, or something. I'd keep it for the middle
Cormac - Like this, think you could do it, but also like zoerhenne's suggestion of Corbin (which is also a bit of a nature name).
Finn - definitely reads trendy to me, while all your other choices are classic, even if they're more popular
Horatio - too "out there" for me, and seems a pretty hard departure from your others
Inigo - see Horatio
Isaac - I've been meeting a fair number of young Isaacs, actually. Nice, but seems popular in my circles. Isaiah is higher on the charts (I think?), but I've never met one, if that does anything for you....
Keats - like it as a middle for either sex, but does sound preppy (pretentious?) for a first, I think
Louis/Lewis - I feel the same as you on this one.
Miles - nice, fits reasonably well with your others
Raoul - I'd definitely think Raul, so I'd say no in your situation
Read - I love Reed or even Reid, but Read seems unusual to me. Reed is probably my favorite on your current list, if you like that spelling.
Thomas or William - can't go too far wrong with either of these, both very pleasant and classic. Other thoughts in this vein--Timothy, Paul, Peter, Samuel, Andrew....
Walter- this goes in the same category as Albert for me.

I second zoerhenne's suggestions of Leo, Calvin, Grant, and would add Graham, Heath, Clint... I have to think on it some more--those ideas are mostly triggered by Colt and Read.

My favorite combinations from your current list would be something like Reed Isaac, William Colt, Cormac Walter, Miles Thomas.

March 12, 2012 2:17 PM

Jane - Congrats! I haven't posted in forever but I had to stop lurking to say congratulations! Thomas is one of my all time favorite names and I've been liking Isaac more as well. I also love Miles and Walter. William goes well with your other kids names but has never been a favorite of mine.

March 12, 2012 3:23 PM

Jane-I like hyz's combos. I think Miles Walter also works as well. Graham is a nice suggestion but there is something about Heath that rubs me the wrong way (esp with your other names) and Clint sounds too cowboy to me.

March 12, 2012 6:48 PM

@Jane7

I like Cormac and Finn/Finnegan for you as they fit in with Patrick and also have the same feel as Charlie. Cormac is also on my list and I'm neither Irish nor a fan of the author. I really don't see it as a problem.

William, Isaac and Thomas also go well with your sibset but if you aren't keen then maybe they aren't for you. Benjamin, Lachlan and Liam would be other suggestions along this line.

I like Horatio and Inigo, but not with the other sibs.

Walter and Albert are still nerdy to me and it doesn't mesh with the other kids.

Colt, Raoul, Keats and Read also don't fit in my opinion.

Lewis/Louis and Miles could work but I think they have a slightly different feel to the other siblings. I don't overly love them for you.

I also like the other suggestions of Timothy and Peter.

My other suggestions: Lucas, Max, Henry/Harry,
Oliver, Nicholas, Elijah (Eli), Flynn, Tobias (Toby), Anthony, Marcus, Cameron, Christopher, Owen, Gabriel (Gabe).

What are you girl picks this time around?

By Blythe (nli) (not verified)
March 13, 2012 7:35 AM

Congrats, Jane!

Can I put in a vote for Albert? I think it's a great name, definitely right for a revival- cute part of nerdy-cute for sure. However, I really like Albie as a nickname for a small child, and I think Al would work well in a high school context with classmates like Sam and Max. Have you seen the Albie books? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Albie-Andy-Cutbill/dp/0007150024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331636690&sr=8-1 .

Colt, Cormac, Finn, Horatio, Inigo, Raoul, and Keats would all seem a bit odd, I think, with your other classic names. They're all good names, and I especially like Inigo and Raoul as middles, but as first names they're just a bit 'one of these things is not like the others...' with your older guys.

Isaac would fit, but it's not my favourite with your other children, and it's certainly popular both in my hometown of Toronto and here in the UK amongst the children I know/know of.

I like Louis, Thomas, Walter, Miles, and William (in that order), but you sound almost apologetic or a bit blah about them, which maybe isn't ideal!

If you're looking for other suggestions (sorry if you've ruled these out over the years!), I also really like Henry for you. Maybe:

Quentin
Arthur
Frederick
Leon
George
Edward or Edgar? Eddie or Ned would work well with your guys, I think!

Crispin
Toby
Hugo
Archie? I like this with Stewart, Wallace, but those are middles so perhaps it's too much as a first.
Duncan
Lawrence- I know a small, blond, 2-year-old Lawrence who suits this one perfectly. No one shortens his name, though he himself says something like 'L'ahns'.

By Juli (not verified)
March 13, 2012 1:46 PM

Jane 7 (used to be Jane 6): congrats, I think. :-> (Oh, my. I have a hard time keeping up with just one. How do you do it?)

Albert: I love this name. (It's off our list because of a famous cousin of my father-in-law's.) I think it fits well with your other boys, and it doesn't really *need* a nickname. (A fun one would be Berry. Extend the train of thought and you could end up at Razzy. But maybe I haven't had enough sleep.)

Colt: I only think weapon, unfortunately.

Cormac: Corvin might be better (especially if the kid has black hair: it's Latin for 'raven'), but even that would fit the sibs better as a middle.

Finn: a bit too Gaelic for my tastes, and it's a bit odd with the rest of your brood.

Horatio, Inigo: I'd need to know your surname to judge just how Out There these would be. I do like both names, but in a pretty theoretical way.

Isaac: this is very Biblical to me, and the progression Patrick - Joshua - Isaac would make me think "did they Get Religion?"

Keats: I don't like surnames as given names.

Louis/Lewis: I like Lewis, but he'd be needing to spell it for people regularly regarless of which form you pick. Again, I'd need to know the surname to really judge.

Miles: it means "soldier" in Latin; dunno if that would help or hinder on the hubby-convincing front. I do like it, but it's taken by a fictional character for me. (Miles Vorkosigan. Author Lois McMaster Bujold. Look her up, she's absolutely wonderful.)

Raoul: very Hispanic to me, regardless of exact spelling.

Read: um, like in what you do with books and websites? No.

Thomas: This (along with Peter) has been one of my favorites since about junior high.

Walter: fits the sibs nicely, and a little rhyming sometimes works well, but I'd need to know the particulars to judge if it's the case here or not.

William: fits the sibs, and he'd never need to spell his name for reasonable people -- but without danger of sharing his name with five classmates. A good choice for either first or middle.

I'm not going to suggest any others, as that would not really help to narrow down your choices. Of your list, I like Thomas, Albert, and William best, with Corvin, Lewis, or Miles for the middle spot.

March 13, 2012 3:40 PM

Yesterday, my 2.5 year old Mark met a Marco on the playground. I was struck (again!) by that fashionable ending "O" sound.

My Mark sounds like he was named by traditional, if fuddy-duddy parents (which we are), but Marco has a more modern peppy sound. (Sadly it is terrible with my husband/son's last name).

Jane 7 I like Thomas, Albert, William but also Timothy (my son), Edward (too close to Edmund?), Henry, Peter and maybe Christopher. I like Walter, but would have to hear the last name - I don't do near rhymes or rhymes.

March 13, 2012 4:38 PM

hey Jane-Just curious, what is your feeling about Douglas? The name isn't heard much these days but it is still a great name. It's got a built in nn of Doug or you could make that a bit cutesy and do Doogie. Just a thought.

By Jane 7 (used to be Jane 6) (not verified)
March 13, 2012 7:44 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful comments. I’m going to love reading them to dh. You’ve been really helpful!

Zoerhenne:
I quite like your suggestion of Corbin as a nice combination of Cormac and Finn. The trendy ‘-in’ ending is my only worry. Would it seem too like all the Aidens, Jadens, etc.? Well, another worry is that a friend recently named her baby Torbin, which is a little close to Corbin.
I have a small cousin named Declan, so that suggestion, while great, is out. I’ve never been a fan of either Colin or Sean.
I like your combo of Corbin Albert. I like Louis Colt, too, as the Colt makes Louis seem manlier. But… now that I’m really thinking of it, I just don’t think I’m going to chose Louis in any case.
Of your other suggestions, I like Leo, Daniel, Hugh, Kyle, and Gavin. Daniel and Kyle have already been vetoed by my husband in other rounds. Gavin was sort of ruined by a personal acquaintance. Leo I like, but not Leonard. Anyone out there know if it has any history as a stand-alone? Hugh is not one I’ve considered, but I kind of like it. Hugo, too.

Hyz:
I love your suggestion of Graham (I particularly like the Graeme spelling), but unfortunately that one was vetoed by dh long ago. It’s my big name regret. I also like Leo, per my comments above. Paul and Peter are also great names, but our last name begins with P so I think they would both be too much. Patrick somehow worked, but Paul and Peter wouldn’t, I don’t think. I do like your suggested combos of William Colt and Miles Thomas quite a bit.

Another Laura:
Thank you! I’m happy to find another Walter lover. I suspect that they are rare.

Chimu:
Cormac and Finn both seem similar in feel to Charlie to me, too. I think that’s a big part of the appeal for me, as Charlie is my all time favorite. Of your suggestions, I quite like Flynn. I had never really considered it before, but it is of course similar to Finn while being (I imagine) less popular. Another of your suggestions, Henry, is a perpetual favorite of dh. I’ve never liked it, but I do like Harry. Unfortunately, Harry doesn’t sound nice with our last name.

Blythe:
I can see your point about Al fitting in well with Sam and Max - I hadn’t really thought about that. The Albie books look adorable. I do like your suggestions of Frederick, Edward, and Hugo. Frederic was on one of our lists long ago. I can’t remember now why we passed, but it is a good, strong name that is familiar without being too common. Edward was always a favorite, but I worry it is too close to Edmund, our youngest boy’s middle name. Hugo… now that one I might have to bring up to dh.

Juli:
I agree that Albert wouldn’t necessarily need a nickname. When we are naming children, we usually like to have at least one useable nickname, but actually most of our children go by their full names, and that is almost never challenged by anyone. We didn’t have a nickname for Patrick, and he’s always been just Patrick, for instance. Our last name is plain and quite common, so Inigo and Horatio would work better for us than they would for someone with a more difficult last name. Still, they are probably destined for the middle name slot unless we suddenly become much more adventurous.

Megan W.:
Your comment about Marco made me think again about Hugo… I also like your suggestion of Edward (but I, too, worry it is too close to Edmund), and Peter, but Peter doesn’t go with our last name. We have a relative named Timothy, so unfortunately that one is out.

Zoerhenne (Again:)
Not that fond of Douglas, for whatever reason, although I do like those nerdy-cute names in general.

By Anna S (not verified)
March 13, 2012 8:34 PM

Tsehaynesh - that's the name of a girl in my son's kindergarden class and I suspect it's Nigerian from some preliminary Googling - does anybody know anything about this name?!

Jane 6/7 - Philippa/Bryony/Adele for a girl, Walter/Isaac/Mark for a boy... just what popped into my mind when I read your list.

By Jae 123 (not verified)
March 13, 2012 11:21 PM

Our last name is two syllable too, but we go 2-1-2 and think it sounds great Carson Reid (read) Walter Reid Keats ? Keaton, Caden, love Thomas Colt Love Finn (cute as a little kid, teen and adult) a friend just had a william (call him liam) try Harrison or Hudson

March 14, 2012 8:01 AM

Jane-I'm glad you have found some other names you would like to consider. The only reason I would pick Hugh over HugO is because of the movie entitled Hugo which just recently came out on DVD and features a young boy.
How about going back to the cowboy theme and considering things like Dallas, Keith, Blake, Mitchell, or Wesley? Your other children are so classy/refined/simple that these might be a bit far-reaching though.

ETA:What about Curtis?
Combos if you keep Hugo:
Hugo Isaac; Hugo Reed; Frederic Hugo;
Hugo Xavier; Hugo Curtis

Re-edited because my now awake brain just realized that Phillip probably wouldn't work.

March 14, 2012 12:11 AM

OT-Just was on the petfinder site again and saw a bunch of cute puppies who were all named after the Big Bang TV show characters. SO cute! It got me to thinking about other themes that might not be so obvious like this one:
Jeffrey; George; Lincoln; and Kennedy (g)
and of course this can be added to with others as needed.

March 14, 2012 11:24 AM

Hello All,
I posted a few months back about the baby boy I'm expecting and got some really good feedback and suggestions. I'll be having this baby very, very soon (I'm overdue actually) and I'd like some last minute opinions.
We're taking a list of names to the hospital rather than deciding on one, but I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on our list, as well as which names go best together. Our last name is a common male first name starting with S.
Our list:
Simon (the current frontrunner)
Harrison
Lincoln
Gideon
Archer

Alternates (one of us loves the name, but the other doesn't):
Tristan
Elliott
Gavin

Some of these names are being considered mainly as middle names, but I'd like to hear input on them anyway.
Thanks!

March 14, 2012 12:20 PM

kakicloud-Your names do seem to be similar in style so you probably can't go wrong with any of them. The only reservation I would have is if your LN ends in -n then I might avoid the names ending in -n. One of my favorite names on your list is Elliott. However, with the rest of your names listed the flow doesn't quite work to have it as a first name. Plus it is on your alternate list. So here are some combos I find nice:
Simon Elliott
Tristan Elliott/Archer
Gideon Archer
Henry* Gavin
Gavin Elliott

*I like Henry better than Harry/Harrison even though it is more popular.

By hyz nli (not verified)
March 14, 2012 3:23 PM

kakicloud, good luck! Of your current short list, Simon is my favorite as well, although I'm a little concerned if the LN also has an M in the middle. I was singing the praises of alliterative names in the last thread (and S names, no less), but if the first syllables sound so similar I'd worry it would be a bit much. On the other hand, those do make for very memorable, catchy names, so if you can embrace the style, I guess it could work. Or, maybe your surname is different than what I'm thinking, in which case, disregard the above. However, the only other commone male FN with an S that pops to mind also ends in -n, which could pose a challenge re: your FN picks that end in -n. Seems like either way, Simon faces some issues.

SO, if your LN is neither of these (M in the middle, or ending in N), my top choice from your lists would be Simon Archer S. I like the balance of having two FNs on either end with a surname in the middle--keeps it from reading too much like a list of FNs, I think.

If your LN has M in the middle, my top choice would be Gideon Archer S., although if GAS is a no-go for initials, I could switch to Gideon Lincoln (although for flow, I don't love the two -n names in a row).

If your LN has N at the end, my top choice would be Elliott Archer S., or Archer Elliott S.

But in the end, we're picking based on sound/flow/taste, etc., while this is a really personal decision, and I think that if the name you really love doesn't have great flow, that's not a reason to ditch it as long as it sounds basically fine.

March 14, 2012 3:57 PM

Megan W. - My 6 year old is named Mark and I can't believe i'm a fuddy, duddy -- say it isn't so! dh maybe, but me? Sadly, it's probably true...

By Passerby (not verified)
March 14, 2012 4:56 PM

@ Jane 7

"Leo" was the name of thirteen popes. It's not very popular or common but known in many languages (e.g. Spanish, German, Norwegian...), so I think it is definitely a stand-alone.

March 14, 2012 7:09 PM

Jane-Looking up people named Leo, as Passerby mentioned it was used by many popes. Here is an excerpt from a bio: "St Leo I was the pope from 440 to 461. He is best known for meeting Attila the Hun and being persuaded to turn back from invading Italy." So I would say that is definitely history of the name being a stand-alone. You've also got Leo Tolstoy for a historic literary reference.

By Jane 7 (used to be Jane 6) (not verified)
March 14, 2012 7:36 PM

Hmmm, re: Leo, I suppose I knew of historical figures named Leo if I had thought about it. I seem to have a rather strong case of pregnnacy fog this time around:) Unfortunately, when I brought up Leo with dh he immediately nixed it as being "too liquid and vowely." Now, he likes Louis, so I don't see how one ok but the other isn't, but I'm letting that go. Zoerhenne, I like Wesley of your latest suggestions, and also Hugo Reed as a combo.

Kakicloud: I strongly favor Archer. I always wished I could use it myself, but couldn't as my last name is two syllables ending in -er and the flow was just awful. To me it is a leafy, sporty name with a history and a jaunty sound. My second choice for you is Gideon. Archer Gideon is nice as a combo, actually. I second hyz's concerns about Simon clashing with your last name... but if it doesn't, Simon is also a nice choice.

March 14, 2012 8:27 PM

Zoerhenne, Leo Tolstoy's name was actually Lev. Nonetheless Leo is certainly a stand alone name, as are Eli and Dan, both of which are often considered to be just nicknames.

March 14, 2012 9:34 PM

Thank you Miriam. The site I was on didn't provide that info.

By Anna S (not verified)
March 15, 2012 6:52 AM

I don't know if Lev is more 'authentic' than Leo, though. Tolstoy's name was Лев in Russian - Лев is a Russian variant of Leo and Lev is the back-to-Latin-letters version of Лев. While Lev preserves the Russian-ness of the name, Leo retains its original root/meaning. In my opinion both names have an equal claim to the Tolstoy reference.

By Juli (not verified)
March 15, 2012 9:56 AM

kakicloud, if your surname is a common male given name, I would strongly suggest avoiding a surname for the actual given name! This leaves Simon, Gideon, and your alternates for the given name position.

Depending on your surname, Simon may be a good choice: I like Simon Sc0tt, for example. Any of the surnames-as-given-names would work nicely for the middle position. (As hyz said, it'd keep it from being a list of given names.)

By hyz nli (not verified)
March 15, 2012 10:43 AM

Oh, Juli, I forgot about Sc0tt! Yes! If that's the surname, I think Simon Archer is brilliant. I love both of those names individually, and I think they go together well in this case, because of the FN LN FN symmetry (which I think also sounds very dignified in general), and they have a nice rhythm, and it sort of balances the more bookish Simon with the more rakish Archer. Also, since Archer is the only name on the primary list not ending in -n, I think that speaks strongly in favor of using it in the name somewhere IF you are basing things on flow/sound (although I think Gideon and Harrison also sound pretty nice as MNs for Simon if the LN is what Juli guessed).

March 15, 2012 1:31 PM

kakicloud-If that LN is correct then I rescind my previous selections and vote for Gideon Elliott or Gideon Archer. I think a 3 syl with your LN works wonderfully but I don't care for the name Harrison. The repeating T sounds if using Eliott as a FN don't work for me either.

By Rebecca1542 (not verified)
March 18, 2012 2:08 PM

I'm due with a girl in July and we're strongly considering using a family name: Analice Rose. People keep telling me to alter the spelling but it doesn't seem true to the namesake if you do that. Thoughts? Anyone altered a spelling from a previous generation and regretted it?

By kaddi (not verified)
March 20, 2012 5:34 PM

I am having a difficult time selecting the perfect name for my baby girl due in two months. I don't want anything trendy, trashy, or sounds like it belongs to a dancer. I like the old vintage names but find they are all being over used. Too many Emma's, Sophia's, Grace, ect. I want a name unique today. I find myself going back and forth with the names like Pamela, Tamela, Karyn(means pure), Deborah (very gracious), Tammi, Stacy, and Brenda. Names once over used during the 50's and 60's but rarely heard in a classroom today. Some of these names also have some family meaning to grandmothers, aunts, and special people I know. I don't see these names as humdrum because the people that have them were once a homecoming queen, cheerleader, and one the top graduate of her class with beauty and brains. No more humdrum than Emma, Addie, Madelyn, Bella were 50 years ago. I think using a up to date middle name can really make it come together. I have thought of Karyn Hannah, Deborah Anna, Brenda Eve! Any suggestions?? Kaddi

By BNF (not verified)
March 22, 2012 2:47 PM

It doesn't look like anyone suggested Keaton. Which I think is an awesome name for a boy and you could nn him Keats. Also love Hampton, Hamp for short. Then there is Cedric, Dominic- but might be too close to Patrick for you. What about Nigel?

March 24, 2012 2:11 PM

@ jane- i love Keats as a boys name. it's not too preppy, but is snappy and fresh and appealing.

September 13, 2014 7:55 AM

I found that site very  usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious...

September 13, 2014 11:56 AM

I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to he good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would youmind updating your blog with more information?   Ecig Distributors

September 13, 2014 12:38 PM

this is really  nice to read.  .informative post is  very good to read. .thanks a lot!'''    https://www.facebook.com/textyourexbackreview

September 24, 2014 4:22 AM

Thanks for the post and  tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..  best at home treatment for psoriasis | https://www.rebelmouse.com/psoriasisfreeforlifepdf/

September 18, 2014 12:51 AM

I will drive unlimited real USA traffic 59000 to website for 2 months for $5 Click here>>> https://www.fiverr.com/safevisitors/drive-unlimited-real-usa-traffic-to-website-for-2-months?funnel=2014081918481741911457320

September 19, 2014 7:01 AM

Great things you’ve always with us. Just keep writing this kind of posts.The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be used for studies.Thanks..    what others are saying about the system