Spot the Missing Sibling: Round 2!

Mar 31st 2012

Back in January I introduced you to my gargantuan challenge of finding 16 "sibling names" for each name in the 3rd edition of The Baby Name Wizard book. (Read more about sibling suggestions.) I also offered the reverse challenge as a puzzle: given 16 siblings, can you guess which name inspired them?

The Missing Sibling puzzle was so popular that I promised a second round. Here goes -- what missing piece sits at the center of each of these style groups?

1. (Girl)
Brothers: Adam, Timothy, Brian, Eric, Jeffrey, Kevin, Patrick, Scott
Sisters: Kelly, April, Stacy, Tara, Christine, Julie, Robin, Holly

2. (Boy)
Brothers: Eduardo, Javier, Antonio, Andres, Diego, Sebastian, Cesar, Fernando
Sisters: Adriana, Gabriela, Valeria, Mariana, Noemi, Ana, Natalia, Carolina

3. (Boy)
Brothers: Carson, Sawyer, Beckett, Jackson, Levi, Lincoln, Deacon, Cooper
Sisters: Scarlett, Avery, Faith, Piper, Hannah, Oakley, Ivy, Willow

4. (Girl)
Brothers: Ulysses, Demetrius, Alonzo, Cassius, Tycho, Napoleon, Aeneas, Titus
Sisters: Augusta, Marguerite, Ophelia, Drusilla, Zora, Minerva, Olympia, Lavinia

5. (Boy)
Brothers: Ciaran, Oisin, Fionn, Tadhg, Ronan, Cillian, Cathal, Niall
Sisters: Aoife, Eimear, Aisling, Meabh, Roisin, Caoimhe, Saoirse, Niamh

6. (Girl)
Brothers: Maxwell, Owen, Caleb, Carson, Oliver, Nathaniel, Samuel, Alexander
Sisters: Isabel, Caroline, Annalise, Claire, Abigail, Charlotte, Juliet, Annabelle

On to the answers!

Comments

By StephanieDee (not verified)
March 31, 2012 6:10 PM

This is so fun! Are they all supposed to be names not found in earlier editions of the book?

I made two guesses for each!
1. Danielle, Brooke
2. Julio, Salvator
3. Hudson, Logan
4. Athena, Persephone
5. Eamon, Lochlan
6. Alice, Lucy

March 31, 2012 6:26 PM

1. Rachel?
2. Lorenzo?
3. Mason?
4. Antoinette?
5. Alasdair?
6. Madeline?

There are soo many names that I can think of for most of these! This one was way harder than the first =) FUN!! Thanks, Laura.

March 31, 2012 6:43 PM

I'm not very good at these but I'll give it a go.

1. Kerry but Shannon would be my second guess.
2. Emilio
3. Forrest or Mason
4. Octavia
5. Cormac maybe Eamon
6. Olivia or Amelia

By Keren not signed in (not verified)
March 31, 2012 6:43 PM

1) Hayley
2)Pedro
3) Parker (although I love Stephanie's suggestion of Logan)
4) Julia
5)Eamonn
6)Elizabeth

Love these challenges!

By Hawadl (not verified)
March 31, 2012 6:45 PM

1. Heather

2. Alejandro

3. Wyatt

4. Athena

5. Diarmuid

6. Lillian

By Melissa Code (not verified)
March 31, 2012 6:59 PM

1. Dawn or Jill
2. Dominic, Rafael
3. Foster, Holden
4. Juno, Maia
5. Darragh, Eoin
6. Olivia, Amelia

By Lindsay Taylor (not verified)
March 31, 2012 7:34 PM

1. Lisa
2. Matteo
3. Peyton
4. Aurelia
5. Donal
6. Catherine

By Veronica Mitchell (not verified)
March 31, 2012 7:39 PM

1. May
2. Stefan
3. Leander
4. Andromeda
5. Ewan
6. Vivian

March 31, 2012 8:10 PM

1) Jennifer.

That's all I have time to guess! Sewing like mad tonight!

By Ambersim (not verified)
March 31, 2012 8:29 PM

1. Lisa or Michelle
2. Maximillian
3. Tucker
4. Imogen
5. Declan
6. Violet or Eleanor

Made before reading other comments...

By knp-nli (not verified)
March 31, 2012 8:39 PM

hmmm. so much fun!

first as a side note: I was re-reading BNW2 and LOVED the description of my daughter's name (Daphne) it perfectly embodied many things I love about the name. :) Here is the quote for anyone who doesn't want to take the name to look it up: "Daphne is an easy name to fall in love with. It has a soft-focus beauty as befits a Greek nymph. But soft-headed, Daphne's not: there's a keen intelligence radiating through the gauzy romance."
Anyone who wants to suggest a future girl sibling's name that gives me that same softness with intelligence?

For guesses, I foresee that I am going to be horrible at these guesses (I was so impressed by everyone last time!) so I am going to give a description and then follow it by a guess if I can.

1. 1970's name, 2 syll, ends in y?: Lindsay, Heather, Jody
2. latino, starts with A ends in O: Alejandro, Arturo
3. surname that is a common noun/word, ends in -n?: Archer, scratch that-- I think Wyatt is right. Oakley won me over. or maybe Landon... yes Landon.
4. Exotic traditional but classical--3 syllables?, ends in -a: Livia, Octavia, Lucretia, Jocasta
5 Gaelic, starts with an C: Conall. if not C then Eoghan, Diarmaid
6. starts with C or A (this one is hard, and why Isabel and Annabelle, with the diff. spellings of -bel): Amelia, Cora, Cecily

Names I 'found' by researching these:
Anjanette (Laura, was this a friend's name that you promised you'd include because her name is NEVER in a name book?)
Liadan
Yancey

By Onemusingmama (not verified)
March 31, 2012 8:40 PM

1. Michelle
2. Alejandro
3. Milo
4. Isis
5. Declan
6. Lily

March 31, 2012 10:24 PM

I'm no good at guessing these, but I want to put forward Amy for #1 since my brother's name is there and all the others feel like names of could-have-been siblings. They were certainly worn by plenty of my peers growing up.

March 31, 2012 11:16 PM

These are way harder than the first set Laura! I am still thinking but wanted to comment to knp. The first thought I come up with for sib to Daphne is Abigail. It doesn't seem perfect to me but that's what I think when I think soft yet bookish. I guess cause I know a few. See if the two together gets you anywhere over on Nymbler and I'll sleep on it and offer more tomorrow.

March 31, 2012 11:47 PM

I'll give it a shot, thought I couldn't narrow it to one.

1. Shannon, Rachel
2. Carlos, Alejandro, Julian
3. Asher, Maxwell, Colton, Easton
4. Darragh, Eoghan
5. Olivia, Sophie(a), Emma

April 1, 2012 12:00 AM

@knp - The first name that came to mind is Poppy, then Laurel, Charlotte, Felicity and Maya.

Daphne is one of those names that makes me smile when I hear it. It's on my top 10 list if we have a girl the next time (as are the others I suggested).

I particularly like Laurel with Daphne for the bookishness/softness of them both. Plus Daphne means 'laurel' so it could be like a hidden meaning for sisters.

By FranAlx (not verified)
April 1, 2012 1:09 AM

I thought this one was harder than last time. There were a couple where I couldn't decide between a few.

1. Michelle or Kimberly
2. Marco
3. Carter
4. Hermione
5. Eoin
6. Sophie or Madeline or Lillian

By Lilllie (not verified)
April 1, 2012 2:27 AM

1. Amy
2. Alfonso
3. Ryder
4. Athena
5. Eoin
6. Olivia

Thanks, Laura! What fun!

April 1, 2012 4:20 AM

Sebalek, my son told me about sisters named Daphne and Bay, an even more "hidden"laurel pairing. BTW the Hebrew name Dafna, like the Greek Daphne, also means laurel, but has a slightly different 'flow.'

April 1, 2012 5:18 AM

Without looking:

1. Amy (Possibly Erin, Lisa, or Heather too)
2. Victor (Possibly Francisco or Rafael too)
3. Wyatt
4. Evangeline
5. Eamonn or Eoghan
6. Madeline

By JustPupsTilBeckettEamon (not verified)
April 1, 2012 11:13 AM

Won't even hazard a guess, but love #3 because I need a boys' name that goes with Beckett:)

April 1, 2012 12:13 PM

Okay, after much deliberation, these are my guesses:
#1=Elise; Michelle
#2=Jesus; Miguel
#3=Ryder
#4=Persephone
#5=Cormac
#6=Elliott (as much as I hate to say it)

What's with all the Amy love for #1? I would never match that with Robin.

knp-here are some more thoughts for you:
Willow; Dianna; Aurelia; Iris; Cecily; Celeste; Greer; Eleanor
I know they seem a bit all over but they were ramblings after looking over this web site. For all you Greek lovers!

April 1, 2012 3:08 PM

Wow! This one was hard, but I couldn't resist playing. Can't wait to see responses for #5, because I have no idea.

1. Carrie
2. Alejandro
3. Jasper
4. Portia
5. ???
6. Elizabeth

April 1, 2012 5:30 PM

I'm going with the following:

1. Kimberly
2. Angel or Francisco
3. Bennett
4. Cassandra (and for a boy's name to match: Ptolemy)
5. Callum (this one was hardest for me because I have no sense of which Gaelic names go together)
6. Lillian

By estella (not verified)
April 1, 2012 5:37 PM

Ok, not looking at other's guesses:

1. Amanda
2. Joaquin
3. Camden
4. Desdemona
5. Ronan
6. Eleanor

April 1, 2012 5:40 PM

Now that I've looked, I'm liking Alejandro for #2. My cousins' names are in there (Antonio and Andrés, as is Andrés's middle name Javier), so I should have guessed Alejandro, which is Antonio's middle name.

I thought that Penelope might work for #4, except that the non-classic choices would have run more to fashionable names like Eleanor and Alice. After seeing all the guesses, I'm casting my lot with Athena.

April 1, 2012 6:18 PM

Posted without looking! ^

1. Laura
2. Alejandro
3. Mason
4. Portia
5. Eoghain
6. Lucy

April 1, 2012 8:03 PM

Interesting to see the other guesses.

Number 1 is hard as I feel a number of 70's classics could fit. I felt like it should be a name that was once popular for either sex hence my guess of Kerry or Shannon. I think Michelle fits well too though.

Number 2 I almost guess Alejandro but changed it to Emilio. I'm pretty sure Alejandro is right though.

Number 3 I can see why people are guessing Wyatt. To me it needs to either be a nature name or a surname/occupation name. Thats why I couldn't decide between Forrest (my first thought) then Mason. I get the cowboy vibe from the boys names in this set but the girls don't seem to go with a cowboy name to me.

Number 4 I like the other guesses of Persephone and Hermione. Both had crossed my mind but my first thought was definitely Octavia.

Number 5 is definitely hard as it's obviously as Irish name but which one was harder to narrow down. I guessed Cormac or Eamon but many of the other guesses seem to fit to me.

Number 6 seems like it has to be either Amelia or Olivia to me but Emma would have been my third choice.

I will be interested to see the answers. I bet I got none right!!

By LisaElena (not verified)
April 2, 2012 1:30 AM

1.) Amy
2.) Sebastian
3.) Hudson
4.) Calliope
5.) Declan
6.) Victoria

By SusieQ (not verified)
April 2, 2012 3:56 AM

Not reading any other entries:

1. Michelle
2. Gael
3. Hunter
4. Daphne
5. Declan
6. Susannah

By Guest-2011 (not verified)
April 2, 2012 4:14 AM

These are really hard, I can only guess ...

1. May

2. Ronaldo

3. Rowan

4. Kassandra

5. Oscar

6. Yael

By Lurker.no.more (not verified)
April 2, 2012 5:30 AM

1. Lisa
2. Enrique
3. Wyatt
4. Calista
5. Cormac
6. Elisabeth

April 2, 2012 10:27 AM

For #6, I'm going to say Rebecca (my daughter's name), because our sons are Nathaniel and Samuel and both Owen and Alexander are on our short list for the upcoming baby! At least I know what naming style I fit in with.

By Guest-2011 (not verified)
April 2, 2012 10:48 AM

Second guesses to some names, after reading the comments here:

5. Fergus or Munro
6. Rachel (it MUST be it. Carson is the crucial hint!)

By ninasayeth (not verified)
April 2, 2012 11:26 AM

1)Whitney
2)Santiago
3)Bentley
4)Venus
5)Soren
6)Olivia

#5 seems to be the toughest--I'm not up to speed on the irish/gaelic themes!

By Kate2 (not verified)

2. Angel
3. Bridger, Tanner
4. Lucretia, Octavia
5. Seamus
6. Amelia, Lucy

April 2, 2012 3:06 PM

I need help understanding all the votes for Olivia for #6. Why would you name siblings Olivia and Oliver?

April 2, 2012 5:20 PM

zoerhenne, I think the sibling lists are 'if you like this name you might also like these ones'. Not necessarily that you would pick all the names on the list, more inspiration. I find some of the lists too matchy to use on sibs but certainly if you like one you are more likely to use another. So yes, you wouldn't name siblings Olivia and Oliver but if you like one you might like the other.

By mestewart46 (not verified)
April 2, 2012 6:14 PM

Carrie
Alejandro/Alessandro
Cedar, Declan
Octavia
Callum
Elizabeth, Scarlet

By KrisMichelle nsi (not verified)
April 2, 2012 6:21 PM

1. Kimberly
2. Julio
3. Wyatt
4. Amarantha
5. Padraig
6. Eliza

I'm particularly interested in seeing the answer to #6, as I have a Caleb and an Annabel.

By Jill
April 2, 2012 6:36 PM

That is way harder than it seems at first blush! The only one that jumped out at me was:

#4 Octavia (though reading through others' guesses, I like Athena, too)

For a sister name for Daphne, Fiona came to mind.

Met a new baby Ezra this morning. I do like that name; we may need to put it on the list even though it's "too popular" (DH's favorite boy name currently is Merritt and mine is Linus, and never the twain shall meet).

By EVie
April 2, 2012 7:09 PM

Wow, these are tough. I'm not even going to attempt to guess all of them because I would probably end up spending hours looking up all the names and their origins & popularity graphs.

Can I just say, though, that #4 is really throwing me for a loop. On the one hand, we've got a bunch of clearly classical names (Aeneas, Titus, Ulysses, Drusilla, Minerva, Olympia, Lavinia). And then there are Marguerite and Napoleon, which read very French to me. On closer inspection, Greek seems to be a unifying theme—Marguerite and Napoleon both have Greek roots. Not sure where Zora comes from, as that seems to have Slavonic roots, but ok. I also see some Shakespeare coming through here (Ophelia, Cassius). Most of the girls' names have consonant clusters that may sound a bit clunky to today's ear.

Of the guesses further up thread, I think that Octavia is a good one, (especially given the other two O names represented here). Lucretia is also a possibility. I will also throw Desdemona into the ring, as it has the necessary clunk, Shakespearean associations and Greek origin.

Other possibilities: Cressida; Nerissa; Perdita.

By EVie
April 2, 2012 7:36 PM

Oh, ok, I'll do one more. #6—All these names feel very contemporary to me, but also vaguely Victorian; the girls' list in particular has a very friendly feel to it. I really like Amelia for this set, but I'm inclined to think that the root name won't be an -a name, as none of the other girls' names end in -a. For the same reason, I don't think it's Olivia, and also because I would expect Olivia to be matched with more flowery & popular -a names like Sophia and Isabella. It can't be Lucy, because that was one of the answers for the last challenge. Catherine, Elizabeth and Eleanor fit the girls' list in theory, but I think they're a bit too timeless to fit with names like Carson and Maxwell from the boys' list. Lillian and Madeline are a bit more up-to-the-minute, so I think those are good guesses. I also like Cecily, though I'm not sure it's trendy/popular enough to fit in with those other names. For my original contribution, I'll suggest Emmeline, though I think it also doesn't quite match up in terms of popularity.

April 2, 2012 7:39 PM

Chimu: I guess I was reading it more like "if you already have a child named A, you might like these..."

Jill-What do you think of Marshall, Mitchell, or Merrill? I think those kind of blend the two names. You may also like other end in T names like Rhett, Eliott, Jett, Brett, Scott, etc.

By Allessandra (not verified)
April 2, 2012 8:53 PM

#1--Shannon
#2-- Fernando
#3--Brooklyn
#4--Athena
#5--No idea :P
#5--Elizabeth

Fun! Now I'll go see what everyone else said!

April 3, 2012 1:50 AM

I didn't peek at the other comments...
1. Melissa

2. Alejandro

3. Asher

4. Lucretia

5. Eoghan

6. Nora

By Hera
April 3, 2012 2:42 AM

Yikes, this one is much harder. Here are my best guesses:

1) Janet (maybe Amy)
2) Marcos
3) Harrison (maybe Hunter or Archer)
4) Ariadne (maybe Persephone or Athena)
5) No clue
6) Scarlett (maybe Elizabeth)

By Namira (not verified)