Why Your Baby Name Choice Is Making You Miserable

Mar 21st 2012

Back when I was writing the first edition of The Baby Name Wizard, the phrase "namer's remorse" never entered my mind. Choosing a name was supposed to be one of the most joyous parts of pregnancy, a chance to look ahead and dream of the new family member to come. Yet in the years since, words like "angst" and "remorse" have cropped up more and more in baby-name talk. Post-naming regrets have become a regular feature in my inbox, and a popular question subject from reporters, too.

Is this just a trendy discussion topic, or is the baby-naming blues really on the rise?

I believe it's the latter. The process of choosing a baby name has genuinely become more stressful, and namer's remorse is indeed more common than ever before. It was inevitable. In the past generation, baby names have become an ideal breeding ground for anxiety, decision paralysis, and regret.

The core problem is what psychologist Barry Schwartz has called "the paradox of choice." Choice is freedom, and we expect that freedom to make us happy by allowing us to follow a path custom-selected to suit us best. In practice, though, an abundance of choice not only makes our decisions harder, it turns out to make us miserable.

The more choices we have, the higher our expectations rise. With a vast array of options, we feel that careful selection should lead us to a perfect choice. The decision process drags on. We agonize. Sometimes the pressure of choosing is just too much; we end up paralyzed by our options, and choose nothing. Even when we do choose, we usually discover that perfection remains an elusive goal. Thus even a very good choice can leave us feeling disappointed.

Then there's the road not taken. So very many roads. It's hard to feel comfortable with the choice you've made when the missed opportunities still swarm around you. Perhaps a neighbor makes a different choice, one you had considered but rejected. Did they choose better? If so, you have only yourself to blame.

Angst. Paralysis. Regret. Sound familiar?

This choice-induced misery is usually described as a side effect of societal affluence. Consumer choices explode, giving us hundreds of shampoos or coffee makers to choose from. But baby names are, and have always been, free. Can there really be an explosion of choices in a realm with no costs, where the menu of options is in your mind, not on the shelves?

Absolutely. More on this tomorrow.

On to part 2!

Comments

October 16, 2016 10:47 PM

The list of names I found in this website is really awesome. http://www.reviewshut.com/numerologist/

Numerologist Website

October 20, 2016 11:29 PM

The list of baby name you provided is really helpful.

Read More Here

October 21, 2016 10:26 PM

Where is the updated list of baby names for 2017?

Click This Website

November 28, 2016 5:31 AM

Yes selecting baby name is really difficult.

Thinkg About How to Get Her Back

November 29, 2016 4:55 AM

Yes selecting baby name is difficult but with your tips it has become fun now.

click this link

January 29, 2017 9:20 AM

A round of applause for your blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.

February 7, 2017 12:44 PM

I think your name is beautiful and your choice was clear and clever.  It doesn't matter if your mom likes it or not, what matters is you like it and your decision was made from the heart!

By GEA
June 13, 2017 9:20 PM

I notice not very many actually say what their children's names are...I think because in this day we all want our children to have a unique name.  One of my own daughter's has a very unique name and won't even use it when ordering coffee because someone always says they are going use it and she doesn't want it to become popular.

June 21, 2017 12:32 PM

I'm finding choosing a name really difficult. I realise there are a set of unwritten rules you need to conisder and I have tried to identify my thought process behind it. Anyfeed back would be greatly appreciated. http://www.thedadnotebook.co.uk/choosing-baby-name/

July 10, 2017 4:30 AM

The Names Are Really Great. Thanks. The demand for Show Box APK has increased significantly with the increase of its market. The amazing applications of Android are attracting many users day by day.

August 11, 2017 6:05 AM

Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
www.appbaixar.com

August 21, 2017 12:46 PM

<a href="https://tweakbox-app.com">tweak box</a> download it for free.

August 21, 2017 12:47 PM

https://tweakbox-app.com download it for free.

September 8, 2017 1:43 AM

Download SHAREit App can let you watch its worldwide streaming on your Windows PC, Mac, Android, and Windows Phones devices. Here you can find Mobdro TV alternative applications. Using Download IMO you can watch 200+ live TV channels, videos, movies and more. This streaming application can daily update Download Google Play, Videos, News around the world, sports streaming, animation movies and more related to enjoyment stuff. Framaroot can find world famous TV channels on Mobdro TV application and enjoy hundreds of international TV channels in this single application.

October 15, 2017 10:42 PM

John and Jim are much more my style, but I find this a very approachable list. They are as a group sturdy, rugged names.