An All-Time Great Sibling Name Set

May 12th 2012

It seems the Social Security Administration has decided to make its Mother's Day names announcement the day after Mother's Day. Go figure. But lucky for us, the world of names never sleeps! Just in from Washington:

Today, the National Zoo  introduces  a new family of elevn otters to the public. According to dcist.com, Whole Foods sponsored the otters' voyage from California to DC, so the grocery chain was given the honor of naming mom and dad otter and 8 of their 9 children. The ninth pup was named by the public via a Facebook poll. That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set:

Pork Chop, Pickles, Saffron, Olive, Peaches, Turnip, Radish, Rutabaga and Kevin.

An instant classic. (Though to nitpick, I'd never include a cut of meat in an otherwise vegetarian-and-kevin sibset.)

Thanks go to reader Kenny for alerting me to this naming news. No thanks go to the Social Security Administration, for messing up my Mother's Day weekend.

Comments

By Guest512 (not verified)
May 12, 2012 2:56 PM

Awesome

May 12, 2012 2:57 PM

Brilliant!

...and thanks for saying what many of us were thinking...!

By Jan (not verified)
May 12, 2012 3:33 PM

The name Kevin reminds me of the movie Up where the boy Russell gave the name to the elusive bird.

By emag (not verified)
May 12, 2012 4:35 PM

"No thanks go to the Social Security Administration, for messing up my Mother's Day weekend." hahahah!!!

I know, right?! Seriously, I have a baby to name, with only five weeks left to go! This is news I NEED. :)

May 12, 2012 6:53 PM

Adorable!

"I'd never include a cut of meat in an otherwise vegetarian-and-kevin sibset" made me laugh out loud for a few minutes.

By Stephanie R (not verified)
May 13, 2012 12:14 AM

I love it!  I actually think that they should have gone for all  cuts of meat, or meat related.  We could have had Pork Chop, T-Bone, Meat Ball, Pepperoni, Ham Hocks, Jerky, Hausenpheffer and Riblet :)  Plus Kevin, of course.  Ha ha ha ha ha.  Too much fun.  I legitimately would have submitted Riblet and T-Bone, however.  I totally want to name a family of otters now.

May 13, 2012 2:38 AM

Of course they're otters. Adorable names for adorable animals. Curious as to the genders of Rutabaga and Pickles, as I think I can figure out the others.

And Laura, we all feel you on the SSA.

By G.T. Thomas (not verified)
May 13, 2012 11:36 AM

I named my cats (sisters) Radio and Radish. They are 8 years old now. Needless to say, food/ inanimate objects as pet names is something that totally works for me ;)

May 13, 2012 4:02 PM

I love that! I was reading this to my friends and we all laughed out loud when I got to "Kevin." My parents' dogs are named after food items: Pancake and Pickles. Can't wait for tomorrow!

By BKN916 (not verified)
May 14, 2012 5:36 AM

Ugh. I know!  I keep checking the site before I go to bed to see if the names of 2011 have posted yet, but nothing.  Does anyone know when they will post today?  I think I'm giving up for tonight and heading to bed:)  I thought I'd get lucky since I'm 3 hours ahead West Coast time, but not so much:)

May 14, 2012 2:26 PM

That is great! Thanks Laura and Kenny for sharing.

By kairbear (not verified)
May 14, 2012 3:08 PM

The greatest part is if you check out the linked articles, you'll find that the facebook fans chose the name Rutabaga.

Which means Whole foods chose Pork Chop, Pickles, Saffron, Olive, Peaches, Turnip, Radish, and Kevin.

By Beth the original (not verified)
May 15, 2012 11:56 PM

Nothing is funnier than boring 70s names on animals.   Go, Whole Foods.

By headphones (not verified)
May 30, 2012 3:21 AM

You need to be a part of a contest for one of the best websites on the web. I will recommend this site!

August 13, 2012 10:59 PM

Awesome! Love Whole Foods too~ Looks like this is a list of their best selling products!

August 14, 2012 10:45 PM

This is hilarious! What a totally random set of names for siblings! Never knew one can say a cut of meat, different sorts of herbs and vegetables and a human name in one sentence!

February 4, 2013 5:44 AM

Well, this only proved that trying new things can bring interesting and positive result. The ideas were awesome, never thought that food names would fit well with animals. And "Porl Chop" is the best. :)

November 21, 2013 7:35 AM

Buy Real Instagram Followers

January 11, 2014 8:22 AM

That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set.  who scored

January 12, 2014 6:04 AM

Bergen continued to propel the name for the next 25 years, making her spelling of the name more popular than the traditional version.   plumber in edmonton

January 16, 2014 5:30 AM

That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set.   New York medical malpractice lawyer

January 27, 2014 6:29 AM

Plus Kevin, of course.  Ha ha ha ha ha.  Too much fun.  I legitimately would have submitted Riblet and T-Bone, however.   descargar ares en español

February 3, 2014 9:30 AM

All of us will call this hilarious but it's much more interesting :D

Adam

February 12, 2014 10:28 AM

The ninth pup was named by the public via a Facebook poll. That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, bubblegum casting

February 16, 2014 8:45 AM

That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set.   bookmakers

March 6, 2014 5:47 AM

That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set.   golf driver review

March 7, 2014 2:27 PM

It seems the Social Security Administration has decided to make its Mother's Day names announcement the day after Mother's Day.  pikalaina 300

March 15, 2014 12:54 PM

Go figure. But lucky for us, the world of names never sleeps! Just in from Washington.   Shopify

March 28, 2014 7:33 AM

A celebrity's press will seldom seldom torpedo their name...unless it was that celebrity who inspired the name's publicity to begin with. Protected Trust Deeds

By jams
April 2, 2014 3:04 AM

is bubblegum casting legitimate

April 5, 2014 4:58 AM

That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set.    descargar counter strike 1.6 no steam

April 6, 2014 11:04 AM

Adorable names for adorable animals. Curious as to the genders of Rutabaga and Pickles, as I think I can figure out the others.   hackear facebook

April 11, 2014 6:55 AM

Avchd mts, ts video to avi, mpeg-2 conversion software free. ts converter | convert canon video  I avait signet ce site afin d’éviter qu’il manque encore.  avchd converter | avchd converter for mac

April 14, 2014 12:46 AM

Very good. Keep it up. There is a level at which a article evolves into a super-article.Pass bee Media wallet

April 20, 2014 1:25 AM

In which unusual naming process offered Yacon people otter mothers and fathers Chowder and also Clementine, and also this brother fixed.

April 24, 2014 11:37 AM

Well, that only demonstrated which striving fresh factors can bring useful and beneficial outcome. The concepts Digital events online were being amazing, in no way idea which foodstuff bands might suit nicely together with animals. And "Porl Chop" is the greatest.: )

May 2, 2014 12:11 PM

how many times did i hear someone say "anyone who doesn't have the green achieve must get kicked" and then watch that same fool die 5 secs into fight. awesomeness. Waterssound real estate

May 3, 2014 4:09 AM

do my homework

May 5, 2014 1:35 AM

letmewatchthis

May 23, 2014 7:53 AM

Police have released video footage of a group of suspects they are looking to question. No arrests have been made in connection with the attack Brustvergrößerung Preis

June 4, 2014 12:16 PM

Me and my friend were arguing about an issue similar to this! Now I know that I was right.Thanks for the information you post. I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.

June 9, 2014 8:01 AM

Wonderful post. I am searching awesome news and idea. What I have found from your site, it is actually highly content. You have spent long time for this post. It's a very useful and interesting site. Thanks!westchester motorcycle insurance

June 14, 2014 4:15 AM

I completed a building book written by those in the industry who had been in the building and building trade for 40 in addition to years. Wow, what a difference really. Let me discuss with you some of the differences.letter press san diego

June 28, 2014 10:44 AM

Travelers Harbour is the perfect item to reason screaky calibre, low toll corporate protection, furnished apartments and long-term rentals in Florida Keys. bareboat sailing catamaran

July 18, 2014 8:55 AM

Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us.Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this. Its really good.new york bike insurance

August 13, 2014 9:00 AM

The ninth pup was named by the public via a Facebook poll. That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set.

serrurier paris 5

August 5, 2014 5:37 AM

The ninth pup was named by the public via a Facebook poll. That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set:   fifa 14 hack

August 28, 2014 4:13 AM

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff on your post. advertising

November 21, 2014 1:42 AM

Thank you, I’ve recently been looking for information approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.surf camp Costa Rica