Tough Baby Name Trivia

Aug 23rd 2012

Ready for a real challenge, name enthusiasts? Plaudits to anybody who can correctly answer even a few of these:

1. Every #1 boy's name in U.S. history has been either a biblical name or the name of a King of England...except one. What's the one exception?

2. Can you name a familiar girl's name that became popular based on a famous battle? (There are at least two!)

3. Only three names longer than 10 letters were given to 100 or more American boys or girls last year. (Not counting compound names like Miguel Angel.) How many of them can you name?

4. Which girl's name currently boasts the most different spellings in the girls' top 1,000?

5. Which books of the Bible had ten or more baby namesakes in the U.S. last year -- not counting books named for people (e.g. Ruth, Luke)?

(answers below)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

1. Robert was #1 from 1924-1939, and in 1953.

2. The Siege of Kimberley in the Second Boer War spurred use of the name Kimberley/Kimberly.

The name Alma is typically associated today with its Latin and Spanish meanings ("fostering/nourishing," "soul"). It's original burst of popularity, though, came from the Battle of the Alma in the Crimean war. That Alma was a river, which took its name from the Turkic word for "apple."

3. The average girl's name is 6.1 letters long and the average boy's name 4.6 letters. Yet the three longest names are all male: Christopher, Maximiliano, and Maximillian.

4. Nine spellings of Kaelyn rank among the top 1,000 names for American girls. In descending order of popularity: Kaelyn, Kailyn, Kaylin, Kaylynn, Kaylyn, Kaylen, Cailyn, Kailynn, Kaelynn.

5. Babies were only named for the first three books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus and Leviticus. The most popular by far is Genesis, a top-100 name for girls.

Comments

August 23, 2012 1:40 PM

What about Brittany--was it spurred into being from Battle of Brittany?

Robert is a French king's name--seems close kinship to British King's names!

August 23, 2012 1:44 PM

Why not give us a chance to try to come up with the answers ourselves? Not that I would have been able to, but I'd have enjoyed seeing the NE expertise at work.

August 23, 2012 2:10 PM

Thank you for posting the answers today!  I'm curious but impatient. :)

When I was pregnant, I read somewhere about Appomattox having been used as a baby name.  It spawned an ongoing joke with my husband that I was actually having triplets -- dubbed Appomattox, Hastings, and The Bulge.  I always pictured The Bulge as a girl.

August 23, 2012 4:01 PM

I would've gotten Christopher - and that's all.

What is up with Leviticus though?! Seriously - can't believe that there were more than 10 babies named Leviticus.

I guess maybe they go by Levi for short?

August 23, 2012 6:07 PM

Excellent quiz! I guessed Robert, Christopher, and Kaelyn, so I think I'll go to bed now and end the day on a successful note.

By mk
August 23, 2012 10:03 PM

Interesting! I guessed Christopher, Kimberly, and Genesis. For #4 I guessed Katelyn rather than Kaelyn-so close!

August 24, 2012 12:36 AM

I got #1 right. For #2, I had no idea. On #3, I knew Christopher and Maximiliano, but was stuck on the third one. I guessed Caitlin for #4 - I was wrong. On #5, I knew Genesis, but had no idea on the other two.

August 24, 2012 10:01 AM

Regarding famous battles, I was thinking of Clothilde, because the name means "famous battle."

August 24, 2012 10:03 AM

Robert the Bruce was also a Medieval King of Scotland for 20+ years. Lead the Scots War of Independence against the British. Only got that and Christopher - good trivia LW!

August 24, 2012 11:46 AM

For the battle name, Shiloh?  Not runaway popular, but certainly familiar.

August 24, 2012 9:18 PM

I was most surprised that the average boy's name is 4.6 letters long.  I always feel that my older boys - Paul and Mark - have short names. But apparently they are only a little less than average.

August 24, 2012 9:59 PM

Fun and very challenging quiz!

I got #1 right - Robert (although there were three kings of Scotland by that name, so I thought of it as a royal name -- like the names of his older brothers Edward and John -- when we chose Robert for our third son)

#2 -- I missed

#3 -- I got

#4 -- I guessed Caitlin -- was close :-)

#5 -- I had no idea

So only 2 out of 5 and I thought I knew a lot about names!

By RB
August 27, 2012 9:41 AM

Miriam-- I thought of Shiloh, too, and was surprised to see that it was wrong. But looking again at Laura's wording, I don't think anyone could argue that the name "became popular based on a famous battle." (Unless there were a lot of 19th-c. Shilohs of which I'm unaware--quite possible.)

I still think it's a horrific name to give a girl in the American context. Even if the battle is not intended as the point of reference, it's still the first thing many Americans are going to think of.

I'd be interested to hear more about Kimberly and its journey from battle site to male and then, ultimately, female name.

August 28, 2012 4:22 PM

From a battle: Joan of Arc only after she was canonized by the Catholic church in the mid 20th century. Most varient spellings? Brianna maybe.

Argh! Neither were right. :(

September 7, 2012 5:02 AM

My  cousin's name is  Kaelyn and most of the people usually spell her name with incorrect spellings like Kailyn, Kaylin, Kaylynn, Kaylyn, Kaylen, Cailyn, Kailynn, Kaelynn.

October 20, 2012 5:52 PM

I think my name, Hayley, has way more spelling variants than nine. Just the ones I have come across:

1. Hayley

2. Haley

3. Haylee

4. Haleigh

5. Hailey

6. Hailee

7. Haylie

And ways people have mis-spelled my name:

8. Hayli

9. Halee

10. Haily

11. Hayleigh

12. Haileigh

and the weirdest one ever,

13. Haliy (totally not correct phonetically, but you see the point...)

My name is mispelled daily, I can feel for ay other Kaelyn's, Bailey's, Kaylee's, etc...

October 23, 2013 3:13 AM

Congratulations on having one of the most sophisticated blogs I've come across in some time! Its just incredible how much you can take away from something simply because of how visually beautiful it is.memory foam mattress buying guide

November 30, 2013 6:09 AM

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source? seo service

December 19, 2013 7:11 AM

I love the blog. Great post. It is very true, people must learn how to learn before they can learn

The Hillford

February 4, 2014 4:18 PM

Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written.will be referring a lot of friends about this. Keep blogging. pedicure chairs

February 6, 2014 1:10 AM

Well tough names… lemme think.. For boys - Gimley, Revin, Zinu, Shon, Edgard, Jifin, Remus, Aldrin, and for Girls - Shimmer, Livley, Cupie, Zumi, Pepper, Jilmil, Rima, Fify, Berry , Goldie and list goes on and on. I prefer variety something that makes people unique and stand out ;) windows 2000 support

February 12, 2014 10:37 AM

Can you name a familiar girl's name that became popular based on a famous battle? (There are at least two!) bubblegum casting

February 13, 2014 7:40 AM

I found this post very exciting. I think you will have any other post on this topic? I am also sending it to my friend to enjoy your working style. Cheers!

web design new york

February 19, 2014 5:18 PM

I enjoy your site. Thanks for writing that. I'll come to this site to read more and inform my coworkers about your posting.this post

March 1, 2014 8:11 AM

The most plausible Irish connection is the surname Bree, which is anglicized from Ó Breaghaigh.  lainat

March 5, 2014 9:54 AM

One of the many gifts that can be bought for a man include Snapback Hats. It is going to the necessary that several factors be consideredWholesale Snapback Hats when making a purchase of a gift for a man. Some preliminary research should be done into theNFL Snapback Hats aspects of the person's life prior to making a purchase for man.Depending on the nature of your relationship with the individual NBA Snapback Hatsand how close you are it may be a possibility thatBaltimore Ravens Snapback Hats you can pay attention to the habits of this individual in order to make a determination about what giftsDallas Cowboys Snapback Hats they would like. Somebody's habits are often a very good indicator of what they might appreciate for a gift. It is often a safe bet thatNew Orleans Saints Snapback Hats your decision founded upon their habits will be a good one.Having some knowledge ofOakland Raiders Snapback Hats somebody's lifestyle will give you much more information as to what is possible as aSan Francisco 49ers Snapback Hats gift for

March 9, 2014 5:52 AM

Only three names longer than 10 letters were given to 100 or more American boys or girls last year.   golf iron reviews

March 11, 2014 10:06 AM

Your article has helped me to read this subject on a different level.

vitalikor

March 14, 2014 4:41 PM

Only three names longer than 10 letters were given to 100 or more American boys or girls last year.   ecommerce design

March 28, 2014 7:24 AM

The funny thing is that to my 2 year old they are all perfectly standard names, thanks to rereading many of the books agai. Scotland Trust Deeds

August 5, 2014 7:30 AM

hay day hack

August 2, 2014 8:55 AM

boy's name in U.S. history has been either a biblical name or the name of a King of England...except one. What's the one exception  serrurier paris

May 1, 2014 8:24 AM

This is indeed a huge understand for me. I retain bookmarked it furthermore I am looking along to lesson modern things. Hold up the salubrious process!

volusion promo code

May 8, 2014 1:40 PM

To write a quality article is not easy, and to create a blog that I have developed.

go to my site