Style Spotlight: Preppy Cowboys

Sep 6th 2012

In 2010, the hottest rising name in America was Bentley. In 2011, the hottest rising name in America was Brantley. The resemblance is hard to miss. The sound and spelling similarity of those two names, though, may mask the broader trend they represent.

Bentley and Brantley are both preppy-styled surnames associated with country music stars (Dierks Bentley and Brantley Gilbert). That style fusion has proven just as potent for names with a totally different sound and shape, such as Easton (as in Easton Corbin). All signs point to more preppy cowboys ahead.

In one sense, the preppy cowboy names fit in with classic southern naming traditions. The use of surnames as first names, for both boys and girls, is an old custom of the South. Traditionally, though, those would have been family surnames. The new generation of surname is selected for pure style, and the hottest choices suggest G & T's at the yacht club more than sweet tea on the front porch.

What tips these surnames toward the country and western side is a cultural reference -- occasionally to a place or event, but most often to a person. The preppy cowboys connect to country singers, Old West legends or western movie stars to give the names a subtle makeover.

The following examples are top-100 names in at least one state in the preppy cowboy belt. (That belt roughly follows the hotbeds of country music, but it's growing fast.)

Bentley (country singer Dierks Bentley)
Brantley (country singer Brantley Gilbert)
Corbin (country singer Easton Corbin)
Dalton (the outlaw Dalton Gang)
Easton (country singer Easton Corbin)

And some up-and-comers to watch:

Autry (singing cowboy Gene Autry)
Axton (country singer Hoyt Axton)
Branson (Branson, Missouri)
Gentry (country singer Bobbie Gentry and duo Montgomery Gentry)
Landry (Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry)
Oakley (sharpshooter Annie Oakley)
Remington (Remington rifles and western artist Frederic Remington)

Comments

September 7, 2012 8:19 AM

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "Remington" is the electric razor. But I live in the Northeast and don't follow country music at all, so maybe it's just me??

September 7, 2012 11:05 AM

I thought of Remington Steele!

September 9, 2012 12:49 AM

Branson is also the name of a character on the show Downton Abbey.  Tom Branson, to be precise, but he's referred to as Branson. Another positive pop culture reference for the name.

September 10, 2012 9:11 AM

I was recently discussing the name Sterling as a potential preppy cowboy.  I'm not sure why it sounds so cowboy-ish to me, though, and my friend disagreed. Thoughts on this one?

I think I probably reside in the preppy cowboy belt, but my brief consideration of Corbin was purely for the Fifth Element reference.  I'm about 97.2% sure I'm in the minority there, though.

September 11, 2012 10:18 PM

The rise of Landry could also possibly be influenced by the character on Friday Night Lights, which aired from 2006-2011. The show is available through Netflix's streaming service, so it could be hitting a pretty wide audience.

September 19, 2012 5:27 PM

I chose an old west legend name for my son that you didn't list. We named our son Porter, after Porter Rockwell. I would love to see Rockwell on a boy, first or middle.

October 4, 2012 3:16 PM

I actually work in the country music entertainment industry, so I find this post very intersting!  I LOVE your addition of the name Autry.  I wouldn't personally choose that name, but it's spot-on for this style.

And BTW, I know 2 little boys named Oakley.

June 4, 2014 6:52 AM

Actually get pleasure from this fantastic submit that you've got provided for people like us. Fantastic web page along with a wonderful topic also i really find amazed to learn to read this. Its fantastic.

www.Fasturlopener.com

June 4, 2014 12:14 PM

Now I know that I was right.Thanks for the information you post. I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog

June 22, 2014 9:41 AM

Absolutely a terrific website you’ve got in the following in fact. thanks a lot with the reveal as well as offer my friend. Incredible in truth.

SMV

June 27, 2014 9:14 AM

out the preferred le ngth of a case study closely correlates to the prospect's company size, with those in larger companies preferring longer case studies, while those in sma           Visit here

July 5, 2014 7:12 AM

The sound and spelling similarity of those two names, though, may mask the broader trend they represent.    North Park Residences

July 7, 2014 6:37 AM

We are flooded with more details than ever before. Efficient composing for the web must be brief and to the factor. The cautious use of figures is one useful means for increasing interaction while preserving area. Here are four methods figures can help your composing.

about my web site

July 7, 2014 8:40 AM

The preppy cowboys connect to country singers, Old West legends or western movie stars to give the names a subtle makeover.    plastic surgeons

July 10, 2014 7:29 AM

This is a very interesting piece of information. Thanks for discussing it. it's very helpful. I wish that there will be more interesting discussion here. Keep up the good work

click here to visit their site

July 10, 2014 9:32 PM

Awesome pics! You've told a real story of the conference lounge with them--I can almost picture being there.
I've recently found your blog and am quite taken with the photography. As a long-term resident of Vancouver, I find many of your shots have a uniquely vancouver-esque feel to them. Keep up the good work

شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض   شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض   شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياضشركة نظافة فلل بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات حجر بالرياض  شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض  شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياضشركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض  شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض   شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض  شركة نقل عفش بالرياضشركة تخزين عفش بالرياضشركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياضشركة رش مبيدات بالرياض  شركة مكافحة النمل الأبيض بالرياضشركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياضشركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض  شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياضشركة نظافة بالرياضشركة كشف تسربات بالرياضشركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياضشركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياضشركة غسيل خزانات بالرياضشركة مكافحة حشراتشركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض

By pama
July 11, 2014 6:02 PM

Ӏt will always be exciting tο read articles from otheг authors

مقيم

July 16, 2014 6:26 AM

Person will would prefer ebooks than regular books because it is more practical. You can carry it anywhere ebook and live keep it in a flash drive or computer.

visit here

July 23, 2014 10:13 AM

Cea mai greșită conceptie cu care ne confruntăm cu toții, atunci când suntem in cautarea unui planificator de nunta, este sa ne gandim ca acesta se va adăuga la cheltuielile noastre. Da, ei  costa bani, dacă doriti sa angajati un planificator de nunta, dar el va poate economisi bani prin furnizarea de servicii în cadrul bugetului dumneavoastră. Acest articol vă va ajuta să evitați greșelile costisitoare și vă va ajuta să reduceti unele dintre costurile esențiale. <a href="http://www.salonimperial.ro">restaurant nunta</a>

July 28, 2014 11:08 AM

97% of all men worldwide who have tried VigRX Plus have had a great success, intensify their penis erection from 0.2 to over 1 inch in just a couple of weeks. A big number of men that followed this program for around 10 months have inform that they obtain over 2.5 inches plus when are in erection.

<a href="http://plombierparis11assistance.com">plombier paris 11 eme</a>

July 30, 2014 6:20 AM

be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing.

<a href="http://www.acoperisuriloki.ro">tigla metalica</a>

August 19, 2014 6:48 AM

Sa va plimbati de-a lungul străzilor înguste, prin orasul medieval Sighisoara, poate fi foarte relaxant.

turism romania

August 25, 2014 4:34 AM

No Win No Fee Claims

By raza
August 27, 2014 9:20 AM

Free PDF Ebooks

August 28, 2014 3:16 AM

If you haven't noticed the tiny, golden lock by the address bar while you shop on internet retailers that are trusted, try to find it in the future. It is telling you that the site you're on uses SSL, a security alarm system. Understand that there is no strategy to be 100% safe from hackers however, this gold lock can significantly increase your safety. No Win No Fee