BNW3, And the Naming Months Ahead

Feb 14th 2013

A pre-birth announcement:

The Baby Name Wizard, Revised 3rd Edition
To Be Born May 7, 2013
At a Bookstore (or Kindle, iPad, Nook, etc.) Near You
Weight: Around 516 Pages (over 100 pages more than the last edition!)
Proud Parents Laura Wattenberg and Crown Publishing Group

That May 7 date places the book's publication right in the middle of "Name Week" -- the week that the annual baby name statistics are announced. I'm looking forward to a super-charged Name Week and the chance to spread the word about about the way baby names are changing, and what those names have to tell us. (I plan to be out and about, so if you're interested in some name action in the form of a talk, book signing or interview, please drop me a line!)

The Mega Name Week will cap off a busy baby naming season ahead. A month-by-month calendar for all of you organized name enthusiasts:

February: Keep an eye on this site, which is getting a facelift to make it easier to read and navigate.

March: The 8th Annual Baby Name Pool opens. It's never too early to start scanning those telenovela and reality tv rosters for ideas!

April: Final Name Pool submissions are due on the 15th, like your income tax returns but a lot more fun.

May: The 2012 name stats are released, the Baby Name Pool champion is crowned, and the revised, expanded and all-around awesomer edition of The Baby Name Wizard book is released. Huzzah!

Comments

February 14, 2013 4:18 PM

I found out about the BNW3 release date a few weeks ago when I was looking around on Amazon.com and found that the new edition can be pre-ordered to ship out on May 7 (which matches the date mentioned in this blog post). I avoided mentioning it on here though, since I didn't want to post a "spoiler" and let the author mention it herself.

February 14, 2013 5:13 PM

LOL! Thanks, Kelly. I just noticed the Amazon listing myself, which prompted this post.

Kind of startling to see the official description as "A fully revised and updated version of the classic baby name guide." Classic? It still feels brand-new to me! (Maybe that's because I never really stop writing it.)

February 14, 2013 6:57 PM

February 14, 2013 7:52 PM

emilyrae wrote:

"Does this Amazon listing mean that there will be no hassle this time getting the new edition?  Yay!"

Yes! I was very, very insistent that this edition required its own title and ISBN. :-)

February 15, 2013 3:32 PM

I noticed your new edition on Amazon last week. Exciting -- and with over 100 more pages! Can't wait for Name Week!

February 15, 2013 6:41 PM

Great!  For all of those name contests, I'm calling SYBIL as a 2013 baby name riser thanks to Downton Abbey!

February 20, 2013 4:31 PM

Yay! I have both my 1st 2 editions (including the first one with the cover that falls off!) and my husband is always asking if I really need both - wait until he sees number 3! :) I can't wait for the new release!

Laura, will you be giving us some hints to the new changes in future blog posts?

February 20, 2013 7:23 PM

Just pre-ordered my copy of the new book! Can't wait to check out the new material. My husband and I found the last edition invaluable when naming our daughter.

February 26, 2013 9:35 AM

Most of the names that our family possess came from published booklet of names that was handed down by Spaniards. Most Filipino names are similar to many Latin countries that were colonized during the Spanish regime.

February 26, 2013 9:41 PM

Hooray!  But I don't think I realized there was a second one?  When did that one come out?

March 22, 2013 3:04 AM

So excited for this big event. Can't wait to know what are the hottest names this year! I'll be keeping myself for the latest update on this as the day of the event is fast approaching.