Dolphin Names, and Yours

Feb 21st 2013

Over the past several years, researchers have discovered that we're not alone in the naming universe. Another species, too, confers names: dolphins.

In 2006, a team of biologists determined that each dophin develops a distinctive whistle pattern that other dolphins use to identify it. (News story; original paper.) Relatives and close group members respond strongly to an individual's whistled name, even when the sound pattern is produced by a synthesizer. Strangers, meanwhile, swim on and ignore it. The name also appears to encode metadata about the dolphin's identity, such as age and sex.

Now, a new study reveals that dolphins don't just recognize each other's identifying whistles, they call them out. A dolphin mother, for instance, may produce the whistle of her calf to attract his attention when they are separated. (News story; original paper.) That sounds like a name, alright.

Dolphin names get me all philosophical. If naming practices of other cultures can give us new perspectives on the nature of names, naming practices frrom a whole other order of mammals must demand a step back for some serious reflection. What does it mean to have a name? What are they for, and what do they tell us? Are human parents, sweating over the perfect name choice for a child yet to be born, engaged in an arbitrary rite of our culture or a profound and universal undertaking?

Here are a few thoughts I've had as I've read more about the world of undersea names. I'm curious where the topic leads you.

"Encoding Metadata"
A name is a lot more than just any string of sounds or characters. Even among dolphins, whistle-names apparently carry side messages like "I'm an adult male." Now think about how much of this "metadata" a full human name can encode. The more complex our societies and cultures are, and the more we're aware of relationships, differences and history, the more information a name is likely to carry.

Culture, Distance and Name Diversity
The breakthrough 2006 dolphin name finding was based on a population of wild dolphins. An earlier study of dolphins living in captivity had found no individual naming, just shared calls.

The broader issues surrounding animals in captivity are far beyond the scope of this site, but from a pure naming perspective this difference is thought-provoking. In the confines of an aquarium, you know everybody and you know exactly where they all are. Names may simply be unnecessary in that environment. In the larger, far-flung community of dolphins off the Florida coast, tracking identity becomes an important challenge.

Do we see the same patterns in people? Consider that surnames are a relatively recent addition to our human identification system. Before that extra layer of identification was added, given names had to carry the whole identification load. Yet given names were far less diverse back then. Around the year 1200, at the cusp of the surname age in England, the top 10 names for boys and girls accounted for two thirds of all babies born. So half the families you know have a William and Alice? No big deal, you know who everybody is in your tank...err, village.

Today, in the internet age, we talk about the "global village." Not surprisingly, name diversity is skyrocketing. The top 10 names for American boys and girls account for just one twelfth of babies.

When Are You Named?
Dolphins' names aren't given, but rather self-created in youth with maternal training. We humans, in contrast, assign names at birth or before. On the rare occasion that we hear of parents who couldn't decide on a name and allowed their child to remain nameless throughout infancy, we're scandalized. Why? Does a name matter to a babe in arms? Perhaps naming at birth helps us as adults to bond with the child, but we seem to give it far more weight than that, as if having a name is essential to being human.

Could we name later? Could we, indeed, wait until the child is able to participate in the process? One obvious problem is that the name you'd choose at age 3 would surely be different from what you'd choose at 10, or at 25. One mother I met addressed this with the unusual solution of encouraging her children to change their names fluidly in childhood. That approach, though, compromises the core identification function of a name. It also strips the name of some of its unique stature, turning it into a personal expression of the moment -- a role already filled by many other choices like clothes and hairstyles.

Perhaps the answer is that adults choose names for children because it takes some perspective on the world to choose well. (NOT because we're prioritizing our own "personal expression" over our children's...right?)

Comments

February 22, 2013 2:48 PM

That is so interesting! I never knew that about dolphins.  Since their name contains info about their age, do their names change over time?

February 23, 2013 4:34 AM

I also found this fascinating, some of that info I knew but not all of it. I also wonder if their names must change?

February 27, 2013 10:54 AM

SO INTERESTING!  I think it's fine to wait to name a baby...until they're mobile.  Then its important to have a way to call them back to you.  I don't think kids should name themselves or we'd have a an awful lot of  Dora's, Elmo's, ChooChoo's, Banana's, etc.  Then they're stuck with it.  And if they keep changing it as they grow up, we'd be stuck with the impossible task of remembering everyone's current name.

March 1, 2013 5:18 PM

I kept waiting to comment until after I got a chance to check some of the provided links, but I'm giving up on that thought for now to say thank you! for this broadening of my horizons! I had no idea dolphins named themselves, and it's just So Cool that they do, and that people have figured out that they do.

March 22, 2013 2:59 AM

This is so surprising, really the dolphins do that naming just like humans? So interesting to learn this facts. So, it would also be possible that other mammals or animals can do exactly like the dolphins.

December 12, 2013 6:54 AM

I daily read your blogs and give my notice for that here this article is too great and so interesting.

Gatwick Valet Car Parking

December 20, 2013 6:03 PM

I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. florida values in oceanfront

December 21, 2013 3:29 AM

If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

garcinia cambogia

December 23, 2013 3:08 AM

I never regret of stopping by to your website.

online tutoring companies

December 23, 2013 7:41 AM

I have seen your awareness about this theme when you post it and it really gives an informational message to us readers.

thailand property

December 28, 2013 8:16 AM

Thanks broadening of my horizons! I had no idea dolphins named themselves, and it's just So Cool that they do, and that people smokeless cigarette

January 4, 2014 8:35 AM

Thanks realize art must have good cooperation to deliver the actual feeling to be an artist across the world.

gta v cheats

January 5, 2014 4:10 AM

I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good.

pirater un compte facebook

January 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Thanks very much for this great article;this is the stuff that keeps me going through out these day.

best cordless drills

January 7, 2014 3:22 AM

It’s tough to sort the great in the bad sometimes, however i think you’ve nailed it.

sky contact us

January 7, 2014 9:09 AM

A lot of companies have chosen to downsize, and maybe that was the right thing for them. We chose a different path.

disability living allowance contact

January 8, 2014 7:33 AM

bubblegumcasting

January 8, 2014 8:05 AM

Strangers, meanwhile, swim on and ignore it. The name also appears to encode metadata about the dolphin's identity, such as age and sex.  Accumulator online

January 11, 2014 11:56 AM

The payment is in reality the abide job you solicitude to the eye at when buying a watch.

laser hair removal kent

January 12, 2014 10:43 AM

It's amazing website where you can get all the new at one stop.Really cant believe its awsome.

itunes codes free

January 16, 2014 4:51 AM

Really appreciate you sharing this article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

Toddler Nutrition

January 16, 2014 5:37 PM

I am going to fairly discover the quality reviews which usually issue I discovered in the human body document.

January 18, 2014 8:58 AM

This is great! It really shows me where to expand my blog. I think that sometime in the future I might try to write a book to go along with my blog, but we will see.Good post with useful tips and ideas

bubblegum casting

January 23, 2014 4:39 AM

bubblegum casting

January 26, 2014 7:58 AM

What does it mean to have a name? What are they for, and what do they tell us?

what does bubblegum casting do ?

February 4, 2014 2:47 AM

them to be more informed and sensitive on racial issues, and excuse me for being an oppressor here, I think the relative unpleasantness of being at least slightly careful with one's "tone" while educating them is outweighed by the good that would come of getting them to actually listen and learn something.

bubblegum casting

February 4, 2014 1:34 PM

Breast Actives uses a unique combination of herbal supplement, a topical cream and a specially designed exercise program. breast actives ingredients

February 6, 2014 3:40 AM

I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks.

Riverbank Fernvale

February 6, 2014 7:25 AM

this is a wonderful website buddy! check this website for a great knowledge keep this for a great informative…

targeted website traffic

February 7, 2014 9:48 AM

I don't agree with last phrase, i think that our childrens name should be a personal decision. I don't think that we should give them a futuristic name or whatever..

Adam

February 12, 2014 4:33 PM

This is pretty awesome. Finally add one more to our pets besides dogs

limo service toronto for limo

February 19, 2014 8:29 AM

Well would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now.

what does bubblegum casting do ?

February 23, 2014 10:04 AM

They are looking at their social mobilization networks and give them inputs on how to tighten up the management, establish monitoring frameworks, look at training.

<a href="http://www.wilsonpeacock.co.uk/forsaleoffice/milton-keynes/1347/">Kalan</a>

February 23, 2014 10:04 AM

February 23, 2014 10:04 AM

February 23, 2014 10:04 AM

February 23, 2014 10:04 AM

February 24, 2014 10:12 AM

Enjoyed every bit of your blog.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.

Kalan

March 2, 2014 5:22 AM

Strangers, meanwhile, swim on and ignore it. The name also appears to encode metadata about the dolphin's identity, such as age and sex.   making money online

March 4, 2014 7:36 AM

Kaelin

March 8, 2014 7:07 AM

code xbox live gold

March 8, 2014 5:58 PM

steam wallet hacker

March 9, 2014 1:06 PM

Vheck this out

March 11, 2014 7:20 AM

If you like Suze Orman then you might like to understand much more about the woman’s stance on Very existence Insurance. This is a conversation having a guest calling by which will get rid of some light on her behalf thoughts on Term life vs Very existence.http://atlantabusinessinsurance.net

March 11, 2014 7:22 AM

If you're struggling looking for new and innovative corporate event ideas for your current staff, you're not alone. Many business owners, at one point or another, find themselves challenged with coming up with fresh corporate event ideas www.sportscurrentevents.org

March 11, 2014 7:23 AM

If all those who truly wish to come together do so at a specific point that forms a nucleus, and it draws people from other areas into it. This leaves the other areas dividing themselves into like-minded individuals. www.unitedstateslaws.org

March 20, 2014 4:04 AM

font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Useful information shared..I am very happy to read this article :)

14.00

mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

March 27, 2014 12:42 PM

what does bubblegum casting do

By jams