The Fastest-Falling Names of 2012: The ENNNd of an Era Ahead?

May 10th 2013

For the past decade, America has had an unprecedented love affair with the letter N. Over a third of American boys receive a name ending in that stylish letter. The N-thusiasm continues in the most recent name popularity stats, with -n names accounting for 36% of newborn boys. But the wave may be cresting. Take a look at the fastest-falling boys names of 2012:

1. Jaden
2. Hayden
3. Justin
4. Ashton
5. Rylan

Each name has its own story. Jaden, for instance, has given way as parents have standardized on the spelling Jayden. Justin is finally feeling its age after a 40+ year run as our national cute-boy name. (And in more bad news for incumbent cute-boy Justin Bieber, the names of all five members of the new cute-boy band One Direction rose in popularity). But as a group, this falling list gives a first hint that the age of N may have reached its limits.

On the girls' side, the fastest-falling names:

1. Alexis
2. Dulce
3. Audrina
4. Danna
5. Alyssa

Dulce, Audrina and Danna are all coming back to earth after sharp popularity spikes associated with celebrities (Dulce María, Audrina Partridge, and Danna Paola). Alexis and Alyssa, though, show bigger changes afoot. Both names are part of a new style category I added to the just-released edition the Baby Name Wizard book: the "Turn of the 21st Century" names. Alexis, Alyssa and cohorts are still very popular, but...

"Just as Shawn, Kristie, and Chad spell '1970s' now, these names will be the sound of the turn of the 21st century to coming generations."

Comments

May 10, 2013 5:40 PM

Oh, thank goodness. I am sick to death of that construction for boy names, and it's caused me to seriously dislike a lot of names that fit that criteria that I'd previously adored. Maybe once this fad has cooled off over the next decade or so, the charm can return.

By CGDH
May 10, 2013 6:00 PM

Awesome. I did terribly in this year's pool, but I'm very proud of myself for choosing Alyssa as one of the fastest-falling names. Darn Ethan — I expected it to share in the fate of its -n brothers and then it went and rose on me! Next year, I may stick to girls' names only.

May 10, 2013 9:03 PM

There are some names, for example Alyssa, Samantha, Al(l)ison, and Ashley, that are so strongly 1980s to me that I'm always shocked to see them so high up the list. I know so many girls with those names born between 1980 and 1985 that I can't imagine being excited by any of them. It seems right to me that Alyssa is falling, as it feels way beyond due.

May 12, 2013 10:44 AM

My son, born in the mid-nineties, once mentioned to me how many girls he knows, his age or close, who are named Alyssa.  No surprise it has had its time in the limelight and is now beginning to fade away.  It's still a pretty name.

May 13, 2013 3:55 PM

Is Rylan a mashup of Riley & Ryan or a name in its own right?

May 14, 2013 8:37 PM

For some ancedata - I have 2 boys, one born in 2007, and another in 2011. My first boy was a rising (top 100 but not top 20) -en, my 2nd boy was a far less common -er. I have 2 friends who also have first boys with more popular -en names, and then second boys with -er names that are lower on the chart. I know Laura did a story on the tradesman/last name names, (Cooper, Carter, Connor etc) but I wasn't able to find it in a quick browse. I wonder if -er/-or names are rising as fast as -en s are falling, or if -en are holding steady and -er/-or names are pulling from other letters.

December 12, 2013 11:47 AM

I am extremely impressed with your work and also with the layout of your weblog. Is this a paid theme.

buy facebook likes

December 15, 2013 7:34 AM

You might insert it's marquee. Your blog emotions can increase your admirers.

December 22, 2013 7:07 AM

It's late finding this act. At least, it's a thing to be familiar with that there are such events exist.

cheat black ops 2

December 22, 2013 6:19 PM

I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often..
myhellotoyou

December 23, 2013 11:01 AM

I would like to say thanks such a lot of for the job you have made in writing this posting.

cheat cod ghosts

December 24, 2013 4:25 AM

I see that your blog is so interesting! thanks for your sharing! you can relax here!

σεξ σοπ

December 24, 2013 5:25 AM

I appreciate your efforts to bring such a huge list for us. I really appreciate posts, which might be of very useful.

oleh oleh khas bandung

December 25, 2013 3:32 PM

In case you feel that the bureau is trying to cheat you, don't buy term paper from it.

BF4 pro tips

December 26, 2013 6:44 AM

Thank you for your well-thought content. I'm really at perform proper now! So I ought to go off with no reading through all I'd like.

ghosts pro guide

December 27, 2013 4:31 PM

This is what I have been searching in many websites and I finally found it here. Amazing article. I am so impressed.

posters

December 28, 2013 4:13 AM

Nicely explained. It's indeed an art to stop new visitors with your attractive writing style. Healthy Recipes

December 28, 2013 9:00 AM

This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

Personal Development

December 28, 2013 4:11 PM

Nice information, many thanks to the author. The usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck! auto insurance quotes

December 29, 2013 8:40 AM

Thanks so much for this! I am in the process of setting up a server here at home, and this is precisely what I needed to find

website optimization

December 30, 2013 4:16 PM

I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page! garage man cave ideas

January 1, 2014 4:52 AM

bubblegumcasting

January 1, 2014 7:49 AM

Thanks a lot for enjoying this warning compute with me. I am appreciating it unyielding oft!

marijuana detox

January 2, 2014 6:22 AM

You have spent long time for this post. It's a very useful and interesting site. Thanks!

pay day loan

January 3, 2014 4:55 AM

The article content is very good and very attractive, hope to see you more of the article china wholesalepayday advances

January 6, 2014 10:41 AM

I truly appreciate this article post.Really thank you! Great.

melaleuca

January 7, 2014 12:38 PM

bubblegumcasting

January 8, 2014 3:22 AM

Thank you for writing an article that has great content and is well written. Well I am inspired by your writing style.

hundefoder

January 10, 2014 5:26 AM

You do not want your collars to obtain twisted in anyway and these metallic training collar stays assures the same

Link

February 3, 2014 8:06 AM

I do not know who you are but certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

Houston Borgia

January 18, 2014 7:16 AM

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.

bubblegum casting