20 "Quirky Classic" Names for Boys

Nov 27th 2014

Some parents are tradition-minded. Others are individualistic. But what if you're both? "Quirky Classics" to the rescue.

This group of names is impeccably traditional, with a twist. While most classic English boys' names have a square solidity to them, the Quirky Classics have unconventional contours and a mischievous streak. Many of them feature unusual letters, rhythms, or endings. Their origins, though, are as classic as they come: the Bible, saints, and British history and literature.

These are the names you expect to find on offbeat characters in Dickens novels or Harry Potter. They're also the names you should expect to find on the streets of Portland, Oregon, or Madison, Wisconsin. When I analyzed regional name styles for the Baby Name Wizard book's style maps, the Quirky Classics leapt to the top in the Pacific Northwest and Upper Midwest.

Quirky Classic Names for Boys:

Oliver

Silas

Theodore

Xavier

Comments

November 28, 2014 11:37 PM

Hah! I live in Portland and that is pretty much my criteria for names. At least half this list is/was on my list for boys. I've heard nearly all of them at the playground or on the babies of friends.

November 29, 2014 4:45 PM

Ooooh, I do love the name August, and August Wilson's Fences is one of my favorite plays. I've been struggling since most of the girls' names I like are either jazzy or "quirky classic," while the only boy name I like is Samir. Not that it matters to me so much that they go together, I've just struggled to find boys names in the same style as the girls' names that I like so much.

December 1, 2014 9:36 PM

I love every single one of these boy names.  You've got my style down! Now, is there a similar  list of girl names?

December 2, 2014 2:52 PM

So many of my favorites are on this list!

December 2, 2014 2:59 PM

These names, and style of naming, is very popular in Northern California also.  I personally know at least one and in some cases multiple of almost all names on this list.   Also, stricks me that several of these names are  "old testament" names used more widely in the Jewish community I am a part of. Names that sound familiar ant not too strange to most Americans but also a little "Jewy" Especially Ezra, Eli, Levi, and Micah.

Asher (2)

Declan

Eli (nn but legal name is Elias)

Milo

Ezra (4!)

Julius

Theodore (2) One goes by "Theo" and one "Teddy"

Miles

Levi

Micah

December 2, 2014 3:47 PM

Hah. My younger son is August. Short listed names were Declan, Emmett, and Theodore. I live in the DC suburbs and all of these named fit in well in either of my kids' classes.

December 2, 2014 4:00 PM

PNW resident here. The short list for our baby boy born earlier this year was: Elias, Miles, Milo, and Silas. You have us pegged.

December 2, 2014 8:50 PM

In Australia, Declans and Olivers are everywhere, nothing 'quirky' about them. I personally don't understand how anyone could call their son Silas if they've ever read/watched 'The Da Vinci Code'. Creepy.

December 2, 2014 10:00 PM

My youngest sons name is Asher! I fell in love with the name the first time I heard it. It's also a biblical name so that's always a plus lol.

By CatB
December 4, 2014 3:06 AM

Another great short quirky boy's name that I've loved since I was a kid:  Basil.

(The older brother from the "Great Brain" series of YA books!)

December 4, 2014 11:24 PM

I question how Declan can be considered "classic", considering it sprung up out of nowhere in 1990.

December 16, 2014 7:15 PM

I live in the DC area now but was in CA and the PNW until I was 22. This is my naming style. Almost every name was on my list. My boys ended up with different names mostly due to my DH having input :)

My girl list was names like Beatrix, Cecily, Elfreida, and Rosalind.

January 5, 2015 10:48 PM

My hisband and I had Asher on our list, but ultimately named our son Lucian. We love it, and we've yet to find another one around his age.

November 9, 2016 12:39 AM

It must be me - when I hear or see the name Asher,  I think Asser right away. A child who can't pronounce the "SH" sound would say Asser.  Not a good name but it's just me.  I also question the names Julian, Jude and Lucian.  Now we have Julie, Judi  and Luci.  If a mans name sounds a lot like a female name, won't people get it wrong just too many times?   I know many Declan's.  I love the name.  August is very common where I live in SW PA.  nn is always Gus, never Auggie. Auggie Doggie is from the cartoons.  Also Eli, Bennett, Calvin and Miles/Myles. My son is named David.  Nothing quirky just classic.