Survey Reveals the Sexiest Names

Feb 23rd 2015

The second in a series of reports based on exclusive user ratings of names.

Can a name be sexy on its own, without a person attached? Absolutely. When we asked thousands of BabyNameWizard.com readers to rate the names in our Namipedia on "sexiness," specific name styles kept rising to the top. Most of those styles have shown staying power, sounding sexy for decades or even centuries.

Take a look and see whether these names send your heart aflutter:

SEXIEST

BOYS     GIRLS
1     Bob     Gertrude
2     Ernest     Bertha
3     Norman     Agnes
4     Dick     Ethel
5     Howard     Mildred

If you're a Bob or a Gert, don't despair. Sexiness isn't a universal positive in a name. Every name style comes with tradeoffs, and what sounds good on a lingerie label may not serve as well for a salesperson or aspiring politician. But if you're looking for pure sex appeal in a name, here's what the results tell us:

1. Latin lovers never go out of style. Romance languages, especially Italian, dominate the sexiest boys' list. That romantic image goes back not just to film heartthrobs like Fernando Lamas and Rudolph Valentino, but all the way back to Shakespeare. Italy was his favorite setting for romance, and names like Lorenzo and, of course, Romeo are plucked straight from his plays.

2. Vive la différence. Italian names make a strong showing on the girls' list too, but French comes to the fore as well. The French girls' choices add a saucy flavor, with the flouncy diminutive Nicolette and the literarily erotic Anaïs.

3. Gender front and center. More than half of the names on the sexy lists end in the classic gender markers -o and -a.

4. Double your pleasure. Doubled letters seem to amp up a name's sexiness, especially for girls.

5. Hitch your wagon to a star. Almost 80 years after the publication of Gone With the Wind, Rhett and Scarlett both still hit the sexiest name lists. But they're newbies compared to Romeo, which is celebrating its 5th straight century of star-driven sexiness. Clearly, a romantic tale can attach itself to a name for the long term.

6. Deliver youth or excitement. The names rated least sexy for girls fit a clear formula. They're two syllables, packed with consonants, and old. Really old: as a group, they peaked in the 1890s. The boys' names are no spring chickens either, but at least they hit their popularity peak within the past century. It's a good bet that you know someone living named Bob, Ernest, Norman, Dick or Howard, but not Gertrude, Bertha, Agnes, Ethel or Mildred. The main marker of "unsexiness" for boys seems to be a lack of excitement. The names are all plain-spoken with heavy sounds.

But keep in mind...

These results are based on ratings from Namipedia visitors, the majority of whom are female. It's certainly possible that an all-male panel would choose differently. Yet the girls' style, including Italian and French names and double letters, does line up with a style heavily favored by the adult entertainment industry for targeting male customers. (Missing is a second common stage-name style: meaning names like Angel and Candy, which emphasize the role being played.) As for male names designed to appeal to a gay male audience, one 2005 study found a proponderance of simple boy-next-door stage names like Tom and Mark.

In the end, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Do the names on the list fill the bill for you?

More survey results: check out the friendliest and most sophisticated names!

Methodology Notes: Ratings were submitted by tens of thousands of BabyNameWizard.com visitors over the couse of five years, rating names they chose to visit on a scale of 1-100. Rankings are based on names rated by a minimum of 150 users. Alternate spellings may be dropped from lists to avoid repetition. Rare names (outside the current top 1,500 for boys and girls and no apperances in the top 500 in the past century) are excluded as they are easily dominated by a particular character, e.g. Sherlock or Bellatrix.

Comments

February 24, 2015 3:18 PM

It is just plain creepy that sexy is being discussed in terms of baby names.

February 24, 2015 4:06 PM

There's no such thing as "baby names," a name is a name. Plus, nowhere in her article does she say anything about baby names, just top sexiest names.

February 24, 2015 4:48 PM

Clementine1 - I agree with you. No "creepiness" intended or related in the article. Creepy is when sex is mentioned and people go nuts.

February 24, 2015 5:43 PM

I can testify that many fathers-to-be (young ones especially) are very concerned that their daughters' names not be considered "stripper names."  Fathers often are drawn to the names of the "girls-next-door" of their high school years.  They don't want names that are for some reason sexually charged in their experience.  It's not that they picture their infants as objects of someone's sexual desire.  It's rather that they are looking ahead and want a demure image for their teens.

February 24, 2015 10:59 PM

Chanel has a brand association. Do you think this is effect its "sexiness"?

February 25, 2015 12:36 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine thinking of my child and intentionally trying to pick a "sexy" name.  Yes, I realize babies grow into adults, but it seems weird for parents to think about or want that attribute for their children.

All that said, I don't know that I'd call any of these names "sexy."  Most of them have a certain romantic feel, which is different than sexy.  Many of them also lean a bit "exotic." Associating exotic with sexy is problematic for totally different reasons.

By mk
February 25, 2015 4:43 PM

No surprises here, really. Not shocking at all that French and Italian names rank high, and Bertha ranks low. And yes, these are not the sexiest baby names, just sexiest names.

February 26, 2015 10:53 AM

Yeah Scarlett is not a surprise. With Gone With the Wind, Scarlett Johanasson, The Scarlett Letter I think it's a pretty loaded name. As a mother I want my child to be valued for something other than than her looks. I've always found the appeal if Scarlett a little off putting for a little girl. It'a like all those little girls in pagents wearing pancake makeup, skimpy clothes and being taught to behave flirtatiously. Some people find that "cute" and "spunky" I guess but I find it rather disturbing.

March 1, 2015 12:58 AM

My name is Scarlet. I loved my name as a little girl and now as a grown woman. My sister plans to name her daughter after me. It is strong, Southern and unique. Scarlett from Gone with the Wind was an strong willed firecracker. Oh and as far as stereotypes go, I was not in toddler pageants but I was top of my class in undergrad and graduate school. I think my name had little influence on the decisions I made in life but rather my values and family upbringing.

March 1, 2015 9:59 AM

If it was you Miss Laura Wattenberg . . that wrote this article or worse yet ..even chose these names...NO DISRESPECT but your an idiot!

first and foremost...these names are for the most part ALL latin flavored...and again.no disrespect..albeit-they may be sound names in that culture but they are WEAK names to me.

I am an American...of Italian and Scots- Irish heritage...and these names hold no allure to me in any reguard that i could even concieve my daughters naming there babies would sicken me to say the least.

your libereal idea that people need to refer to a website or babybook or worse yet- whats popular deemed by the likes of your derrangement - to find a name for there unborn child, tells me you must think most people are mindless and have no charecter...and CHARECTER is EXACTLY what is behind a name and actually..a name that is of sound and solid strength will will ad to solid charecter.

also remember that traditionally there has been a format for names of first boys and first girls born-may usually go in heir with their grandparents names.

I find reading your idiotic list choices of most sexy and least sexy names to be moronic at best.. I am 49 years old and know males named in your least sexy list of those particular names...and perhaps they may be variations of the said names but they are quite strong -sucessful and proven men-

By the same tolen I am of italian decent and know several relatives and family members with names of your sexy category and it turns out most are loosers and punks.

I always disliked my name as i was growing up but I have found it to be a great name in the end and feel it has had some play within the realms of my charecters and strengths....

I have two daughters of which we didnt even have names decided oor picked till they were kicking us out of the hospital and would not let the girls go without a name...of which my wife picked..after she got to have two days with the newbornes-they are Corina and Nadine..goth names beat the pants off any names male or female in your weak minded list.

there is nothing better than a strong -simply stated - sound name like Mike or Michael or Jean or Jeanette

again...perhaps im to old guard but it seems the fools these days need articles like this to name their offspring..hence...their children will need all the help they can get with some of those names if they dont have brains enough to come up with something more creative than picking from your list.

I think i would be pretty offended after i grew up and found out that my name was picked from a book instead of given to me with some thought.

March 19, 2015 10:07 PM

If you gave as much thought as you did writing this post to reading and understanding the article and website, you would have been much better off.  The lists are from all the visitors to her website that wanted to give their opinion.  She's not telling you what to name your children, she's just discussing names, and it's helpful when chosing the one that's right for you.

June 26, 2015 10:31 AM

Hehehehe ... couldn't even take the time to actually read the title of the article, eh?  She wasn't the one who "chose the names".  It was a finding revealed in a survey, thus the title: "Survey Reveals Sexiest Names", of course if you read even the first paragraph you'd get that info there too.

Also, investigating what others think about a name is not ... what did you call it ... "libereal" (did you mean liberal, or was that supposed to be an obtuse play on words?).

Character (note the spelling), I think you meant depth of character, will proven by the things they do and not what they are named, but do you then suggest that the Mayor of my home town, Meridian ID, should follow convention and go by her last name "Mayor De Weird" instead of "Mayor Tammie" (which she does)?  Does that make her shallow of character?  No.

Put it another way: If your last name was "Ted"and you were from Elbonia where "Shee" was the name of a famous female patriot whom you respected above all because of her great character, would you name your daughter "Shee Ted (sound it out)"?  I hope not.  Of course it may give her character, but more likely she will hate that you were so careless, and most assuredly will hate her name, and when others say "wow ... what a horrible name ... her parents must be characters" you can be assured they aren't paying you a compliment.

In short, doing research on what others think of the name you choose for your baby, whether from reading books, or asking friends is what a loving thoughtful and considerate parent does.  Of our eight children we didn't know for sure what to name any of them until after they were born.  Henry, for example, wasn't even in our top 20, but within the hour of his birth we both knew it ... he was a Henry.  We knew that in large part because we had studied 100's of names (including "Henry") from books and other geneology, asked everyone what they thought (incidentally nobody mentioned "Henry"), and therefore knew without doubt there was no better name for this particular precious soul that had just joined our family.

It's what loving thoughtful and considerate parents do.

April 29, 2016 2:20 AM

good Computer help at the start out of this course. Kodi iOS XBMC which you wish to mount kodi. Kodi iOS nice.

May 13, 2016 4:15 AM

good for your pc or Laptop or computer units. Accordingly, SnapTube Download that allows you download YouTube Movies. In this content, SnapTube Android Download nice.

July 3, 2016 12:12 PM
  • العاب طبخ جميلة جدا الان يمكنك لعبة اجمل طبخ الرائعة مع طبخ رورو العاب اون لاين فلاش بدون تحميل العاب رورو العاب طبخ اون لاين العبي الان بدون تحميل اجمل الالعاب اطبخي واختبري فنسك داخل المطبخ العاب طبخ 2016 جديدة كليا العبها الان علي ااجمل العاب  رائعة بدون تحميل العاب مسلية جدااااااا العبيها الان اون لاين العاب بنات طبخ

July 4, 2016 1:10 AM

good which provides plenty of brand-new and older CinemaBox Official Today tap into on movie theater container apk and agree for all circumstances. CinemaBox APK nice.

August 3, 2016 7:08 AM

good with software for android which can be trending these times. Droid4x Download When download of Droid4x can be comprehensive nice.

August 20, 2016 10:06 AM

Google DUO is a great free video calling app from the tech giant

[url="https://www.crazyspeedtech.com/google-duo-apk-app-download/"]Google Duo Apk[/url] Google. The company had announced the app for both Android and iOS devices.

Unfortunately to download Google Duo APK

August 20, 2016 10:08 AM

Good News to the Video calling app lovers. Google has announced the release of its new video calling App named Google Duo. Duo is coming up to take a strong stand in the market overtaking the already

August 20, 2016 10:12 AM

skyfi wireless internet is a great free video calling app from the tech giant Google. The company had announced the app for both Android and iOS devices.

Unfortunately