The 21 Most Utterly Geektastic Baby Names of the Year

May 18th 2015

There are geek names, and then there are geek names. Plenty of fanboys and fangirls take baby name inspiration from favorite characters, but for most the choice is subtle. You can name your son Malcolm after Firefly's Captain Mal Reynolds and your in-laws will be none the wiser.

Today, we acknowledge those parents who have taken a bolder step into fandom, daring to go where few names have gone before. Each of the proudly geeky names below was given to at least five American babies last year.

Image via kazz.0/Flicker

NAME (SEX, NUMBER BORN IN 2014)

Anakin (M, 218) : Darth Vader now ranks among the top 1,000 names for boys. The Empire has won.

Eevee (F, 24) : A genetically flexible fox-like Pokemon. A Pokemon!!!

Ender (M, 118)  : Naming after Ender Wiggin of Ender's Game gives your child an early introduction to life's moral complexities.

Stark (M, 20) : This name could solve baby-name arguments in mixed marriages between a Marvel loyalist and a Game of Thrones fan: "Iron Man wants you to know that Winter is Coming."

Sephiroth (M, 7) : The archvillain of the game Final Fantasy VII, with his long black coat and flowing silver hair, is the epitome of evil fashion.

Kal-El (M, 257) : Phew. In a baby-name faceoff of good versus evil, Superman (born Kal-El) outranks Darth Vader (born Anakin).

Tron (M, 11) : The 1982 film TRON transports us into the heart of a computer, where an artificial intelligence called Tron takes the form of a glowing Bruce Boxleitner.

Quorra (F, 26) : In the 2010 sequel TRON: Legacy, Quorra is a skilled pilot and warrior -- unusual skill sets for an algorithm.

Draco(M, 42) : A Death Eater with a name that means "dragon." Don't mess with this infant.

Garrus (M, 9) : Most names from action games are more macho than geeky, but it helps that Mass Effect's Garrus Vakarian is a raptor-headed alien.

Jadzia (F, 19) : Jadzia Dax of Star-Trek: Deep Space Nine shares her mind with a symbiotic organism. Two for the price of one! (On Earth Jadzia is also a Polish nickname, but its American usage started with Deep Space Nine.)

Korra (F, 87) : The element bender of the animated series "The Legend of Korra" nearly dies fighting for peace, but does gain a cute girlfriend along the way.

Tidus (M, 43) : The protagonist of Final Fantasy X, Tidus is the rare video game hero who is regularly described as "cheerful."

Lando (M, 9) : In the original Star Wars trilogy, Lando Calrissian is a charming gambler and smuggler -- basically like Han Solo, but way better at it.

Tyrion (M, 60) : The "imp" Tyrion is the heart (or perhaps the brain) of Game of Thrones.

Winry (F, 32) : If you need a prosthetic limb repaired, Winry Rockbell of Fullmetal Alchemist is your woman.

Xena (F, 71) : Xena the Warrior Princess injected the familiar underdressed-warrior-woman trope with a new element: humanity. This is a name that kicks butt, with feeling.

Tauriel (F, 20) : Ooh, we're off canon! This attractively named elf from The Hobbit movie wasn't in Tolkein's book. And in other Hobbit book vs. movie news...

Thorin (M, 112) : ...note that these babies were named for dwarf leader Thorin Oakenshield before the final installment of the movie came out. Hopefully the parents read the book and knew what they (and Thorin) were in for.

Loki (M, 111) : The trickster god Loki is an age-old fixture of Norse myth, but nobody named after him until he became a snazzy Marvel supervillain.

Jedi (M, 21) : The force is with these youngsters.

Comments

May 18, 2015 4:27 PM

Laura Wattenberg, how much of a geek does this prove you to be that you know all of these geeky names?

May 18, 2015 9:09 PM

Weatherly, does that mean I managed to sound knowledgeable about all those characters? As the true geeks would say, "Achievement Unlocked!" :)

(Truth be told, my only real fandom is names -- and Baby Name Wizardry is all about research!)

May 18, 2015 9:17 PM

Burriol, how could I have neglected My Little Pony names? A travesty! Rarity is a great example (though many -ity names have been used lately -- Amity, Unity, Divinity, etc.)

May 19, 2015 12:47 PM

Laura Watternberg, yes you did!  I'm fairly geeky, but I only recognized about half of those names.

May 19, 2015 12:56 PM

Oh, dear. I suppose this means I can expect a grandchild named Fluttershy or Rarity. My daughter is obsessed with My Little Pony.

May 20, 2015 8:03 AM

I like the name 'Tyrion'. It can also be feminised as Tyrianne, Tyrianna or Tyrionne.

May 21, 2015 1:26 PM

Isn't Grayson doing quite well?

In case you didn't know, many of us geeks associate that name with the first Robin (there have been 5: Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Damian Wayne). Since the 90s, Dick Grayson has graduated to the fan-favorite hero, Nightwing, and his popularity is growing immensely. You can learn about him in the DC Animated series Young Justice (as both Robin and Nightwing) available on Netflix, as well as in the upcoming live-action Titans series.

And, yes, my son born a few weeks ago is named after my favorite hero of all time.

May 22, 2015 1:00 AM

Our neighbors named their new son Atrayu from a children's movie.  The Neverending Story perhaps.  I know you've mentioned this name before. So very geeky to me!

May 23, 2015 7:40 AM

I've heard the name Leto (from Dune) pop up a couple of times.

May 23, 2015 2:20 PM

I was going to mention Atreyu too--I've met a grade schooler with this name and thought it was fascinating.

August 24, 2016 11:22 AM

Stark is the ultimate geeky baby name, in my opinion - it can also be an homage to a character from Farscape, a cult hit sci-fi television show from the early 2000s. Getting a reference to superhero comics, fantasy, and sci-fi all in one name is kind of the geek trifecta.

December 5, 2016 10:41 PM

My daughter's name is Winry. She was born in 2012. At the time I didn't see her name on anything, but now it's been on a few baby names lists. I think it will become slightly more popular because it sounds similar to some more "normal" names but has a slight uniqueness to it.