Quirky Classic Names For Girls

Aug 4th 2016

Classic doesn't have to mean boring. In fact, a well-chosen name can make "classic" feel like the freshest style in town. Today we're on the hunt for Quirky Classics for girls, traditional names with a splash of personality that places them a step to the side of the mainstream.

The Quirky Classics are creative with a sense of fun, but not over-cutesy or ostentatious. They're free spirits, yet grounded. They feel totally individual even when -- like Eloise or Olive -- they're climbing the popularity charts.

Image via Nadezhda1906/Shutterstock

The quirkiness takes different forms. Many of the names, like Glynis and Ione, have unusual sounds, spellings or rhythms. Some, like Clementine and Hermione, have cultural associations that set them apart. Others, like Gretel and Adelaide, feel rooted to another time or place. But all strike a neat balance between creativity and tradition.

THE QUIRKY CLASSICS

Gretel Viola
Gwendolyn Winifred
Harriet Zelda
Hazel Zora

Comments

August 4, 2016 3:38 PM

Love this style! At least a dozen of these names were on our list when naming our daughters.

August 4, 2016 6:20 PM

Quirky classics are my favorite! Love this list, we selected Olive for our daughter born last year. I love that it's traditional and established but not verbose or overly common. We loved it as an alternative to Olivia which has swept the nation.

August 4, 2016 7:58 PM

Wow! Did you steal this list from my favorited names list?? Haha. These are great names, and the few that weren't already on my list of favorite names are now on my mind.

August 5, 2016 10:02 AM

Heyyyy, it's my name style!  Also referred to on this forum as:

Swordfighting Princess
&
Someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly

I'm finding myself questioning the diversity of origin of these names -- they seem very European, although some diversity in that group (German, Spanish, English).
We were sure about Beatrix/Beatriz/Beatrice but now we're sure about Gwendolyn. So geeked to see this list!  In addition to those two, I have Sylvia, Garnet, Viola on my favorites and fond feels about Clementine, Matilda, Penelope, Harriet, Imogen (text from my partner: no, we are not naming it "Imagine").  I don't think I've ever overlapped with a post so much before.

Some offerings that MIGHT match this list, for anyone interested:  Nadiya, Mana, Margaret, Dominique, Jacquelyn, Daphne, Marina, Monique, Helena, Anastasia, Valeria, Eileen and...?

August 5, 2016 3:59 PM

I know so many young Eleanors and Loreleis that neither name qualifies as quirky anymore. (And Lorelei is questionable on the "classic" front as well: apart from a very small spike centered around 1950, all uses of this name are modern.)

August 5, 2016 4:03 PM

There are definitely different streams of quirky here! Some of these names, including my daughter's, I truly love, while others I very (very) much do not love. That said, it is a fantastic category!

August 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Will there be a quirky classics list for boys? I would love this!

August 16, 2016 12:29 PM

I have a Penelope and a Margot and love this style.

August 17, 2016 6:28 AM

One of your offerings is my former name which I changed as I never liked it!

August 21, 2016 5:19 PM

I love so many names on this list Astrid, Athena,
Blythe, Celeste, Clementine, Gwendolyn, Hazel,
Hermione, Imogen, Ione, Josephine, Juno, Lorelei,
Lilith, Mabel, Matilda, Naomi, Olive, Opal, Penelope,
Sybil, and Winifred..there all so pretty.

November 24, 2016 4:00 PM

All are just looking for the <a href="http://gta5moneycheats.com/">GTA 5 money cheats</a> online at here that i believe is true for all of us to get the GTA cheats for play station.

July 8, 2017 4:16 AM

Jual tas jansport murah model terbaru, baca selengkapnya , toko tas jansport terbaru, baca selengkapnya , toko tas kipling terbaru , baca selengkapnya , toko tas cath kidston terbaru , baca selengkapnya, toko tas wanita branded, bee bagshop , toko tas sekolah anak terbaru

August 8, 2017 4:08 AM

That is the great attitude, in any case is simply not make each sence at all proclaiming about that mather. For all intents and purposes any strategy an abundance of thanks notwithstanding i had try to advance your own particular article into delicius in any case it is evidently a situation utilizing your data destinations would you be able to please recheck the thought. much obliged yet again. The Author Incubator