Every Single Double-T Baby Name Option

Oct 26th 2017

Elliott. Wyatt. Jett. Three names with very different styles, all riding high on the power of a double-T ending. And they're not alone.

Today, 11 names ending in -tt rank among the top 500 for American boys: Wyatt, Everett, Emmett, Bennett, Elliott, Beckett, Rhett, Barrett, Garrett, Jett, Scott. On the girl's side, Scarlett is a top-20 hit and still rising, with new double-t options coming up behind.

If you love the style but want a more unusual name choice, you've come to the right place. I've looked high and low for less common -tt names, especially surnames, and coralled all of the candidates.

OK, not exactly all. In most cases, I chose just one spelling for each name. I also eliminated names created by adding or subtracting a letter from otherwise familiar given names, like Violett and Antoinett. And I ruled out hundreds of names that were simply unrealistic choices (e.g. surnames like Piggott, Niblett, and Thweatt).

Below are the 74 possibilities that remained. Happy browsing, -tt lovers!

EVERY UNDISCOVERED -TT NAME
Dorsett Patchett Winnett
Emerett Perritt Witt
Endicott Pickett Wolcott
Evett Pratchett

Comments

October 26, 2017 10:19 AM

I'm a fan of the -tt, but I must admit that most of these names look like they've either had an extra T added on for style (e.g., Cabott, Winslett) or are missing a final -e (e.g., Arlette). Mostly the former, though.

October 26, 2017 11:25 AM

When we chose Elliott as my grandson's name, we considered all the traditional spellings: Elliott, Elliot, Eliot, and Elyot. The double tt won hands down--it just looks more complete and grounded on the page. And my grandson loves the fact that his name has two pairs of double letters.

October 26, 2017 2:29 PM

Karyn, I think that effect might be amplified by seeing them all together like this. After looking at this list I even had to double-check that Pratchett is really the way the author's name is spelled, which I have never questioned before. I also know someone with one of these surname-names (it's a family name for her, she's about 50 now) and for the life of me, after seeing it on this list, I can't remember if her name ends in -t or -tt :P.

October 26, 2017 11:40 PM

That's doubtless true. Though names like Cabot and Winslet that have very prominent associations (John Cabot/The Cabot Trail and Kate, respectively) make the -tt look especially wrong.

(Let's just ignore the fact that his name was actually Giovanni Caboto, shall we.)

October 27, 2017 8:08 AM

Karyn, I agree that a few of the double-t endings look sketchy, especially Cabott. I tried to err on the side of inclusivity in cases where no spelling has ever been established as a baby name, but you're right that Cabot is established on a broader cultural level. (Especially here in Massachusetts, where I live!)

I'd be tempted to edit out one or two of the worst offenders, were it not an intractable HTML table. :)  Maybe I could just leave a mysterious blank space, or a [NAME REDACTED]?

October 27, 2017 9:53 AM

:D

"Upon further reflection, the author can no longer recommend this name in good conscience. Thank you for your understanding."

Hmm...That probably exceeds the cell size, eh?

October 28, 2017 9:27 AM

Karyn, my conscience was plaguing me. I went back and rebuilt the table sans the offending names.

October 28, 2017 9:46 PM

The degree to which you care about providing accurate and helpful information to your legions of fans shows and is appreciated!

November 16, 2017 3:53 PM

I know a little boy named Summitt.

November 18, 2017 3:03 AM

I don't see how Brett is "undiscovered" since it was quite popular in the '70's. I also know a few Mitt's, short for Mitchell.