The Boys' Names that Define Your State's Style

Jun 7th 2017

Baby name popularity charts give us an illusion of consensus. OK, yes, pretty much all of America likes the name Liam. But once you get past the top handful of names local tastes take over, and they're as diverse as the country itself.

To reveal these local tastes, I've compared state-by-state name popularity to nationwide trends, looking for the places where each community veers farthest from the common path. My targets were the names that define the unique style of every state in the union. Not only are these names individually popular in their listed states, but they help paint a general portrait of local style. An area that's partial to the names Adrian and Sebastian, for instance, will lean toward other elegant global names like Damian and Julian as well. Meanwhile a hotbed of Braxtons and Bentleys will also have plenty of boys named Jaxon and Brantley.

Images: Shutterstock/Karpova, Shutterstock/Tetiana Kovbasovska, Pixabay/rmt

Most of the names below will be familiar, but some may be new to you. If so, chances are there's a local story behind them. Paxson and Hatcher, for example, are place names in Alaska as well as perfect fits for Alaskan name trends. And for a trivia challenge, look for at least two names below that honor their states' college football stadiums.

Browse through to get a real taste of the diversity of American baby name style – and a sense of where you might feel most at home.

THE DEFINING BOYS' NAMES OF EVERY U.S. STATE
West Virginia Braxton Bentley Easton Colton
Wisconsin Henry Oliver Sawyer Jordy
Wyoming Wyatt Weston Corbin Bridger

Read More: The Girls' Names that Define Your State's Style

Comments

June 7, 2017 2:16 PM

"look for at least two names below that honor their states' college football stadiums"

Hah, as soon as I saw that, I knew what one of the names for my current state would be. No idea what the other one is, though.

June 7, 2017 4:33 PM

I did a post at my (otherwise very slow these days) blog about one of the reasons I think Oliver doesn't rank as high in the U.S. as it does in many other English-speaking countries: http://millennialkelly.blogspot.com/2017/05/why-isnt-oliver-as-popular-in-us-as.html

As it turns out using Laura's analysis the four states that have Oliver mentioned in this blog all have lower than average Hispanic populations (MN, ND, VT, and WI).

June 8, 2017 4:09 PM

I live on the border of 2 states.  Of the 8 names presented, there are only 2 that I actually like (and one I am meh about).  The rest I actively dislike.   I'm not at all surprised, as I find I am not a fan of most of the boy names I encounter.  I expect it will be the same for the girl list.

June 9, 2017 2:22 PM

Messiah and King? Georgians seem to like their exalting names, eh?

June 10, 2017 10:22 AM

I live in Eastern PA in a pocket of Ryans.  (My sons both have good friends Ryan D.)  While it didn't make the PA list, it did make the nearby NY list.

June 10, 2017 10:58 AM

It's not college football but the Baltimore Orioles stadium is Camden Yards

June 20, 2017 12:13 PM

New York is interesting.   2 names are from the Orthodox Jewish Community  and two white, middle-class, back to the 80s style.

June 20, 2017 12:13 PM

June 20, 2017 12:15 PM

I think this is a major trend in the African American commuity.  Other boy name examples would be Royal, Adonis, and Saint.

June 20, 2017 12:17 PM

Regarding "exalted" names in Georgia; I think this is a major trend in the African American commuity.  Other boy name examples would be Royal, Adonis, Prince, and Saint.

June 20, 2017 12:18 PM

This supports my feeling that I'd NEVER want to live in West Virginia.  I don't get naming your kids after firearms.  yuck!!

June 21, 2017 4:48 PM

Neyland in Tennessee is the other!  Neyland Stadium at University of Tennessee in Knoxville!

July 16, 2017 6:12 AM

Love to see the list from Alaska, where I used to live. Paxson and Hatcher are both geographic names there. Paxson is a very small town (although Alaska is so sparsely populated that the tiny towns tend to be better known statewide than they would be other areas of the U.S.), and Hatcher Pass, an incredibly beautiful place about an hour's drive from Anchorage.

Soundwise, Paxson is right on trend, and I noticed when I lived in Alaska -- a state with an enormous amount of state identity and pride -- that people were more inclined to use state-specific names for their children (and pets!) than in other states where I'd lived (New York and Pennsylvania). An acquaintance there named her son Paxson, and Sarah Palin used it as a middle name for one of her kids. So I'm not too surprised to see it's caught on with other parents as well.

August 4, 2017 3:56 PM

I'd like to see what the list would be like with no duplicates.

August 7, 2017 3:56 PM

What are the firearms on this list?

August 8, 2017 4:09 AM

That is the great attitude, in any case is simply not make each sence at all proclaiming about that mather. For all intents and purposes any strategy an abundance of thanks notwithstanding i had try to advance your own particular article into delicius in any case it is evidently a situation utilizing your data destinations would you be able to please recheck the thought. much obliged yet again. The Author Incubator