These 15 Familiar Girls' Names are Actually Rare—And Always Have Been

Nov 28th 2018

Familiar names, rare names. The two are opposites. Yet a handful of names manage to hit both contradictory targets, and zero in on the style bullseye at the same time.

I've uncovered 15 examples of girls' names that have flown consistently under the radar. Not only are they rare today, but they've never been popular in the United States. None has ever ranked among America's top 300 girls' names, a bar low enough that even names like Elva and Floy have crossed it. That makes them true individuals, names that your daughter could feel she had full ownership of.

At the same time, each name is pleasingly familiar. Some have famous standard bearers, others have more common name "relatives," and a few are just so simple and classic-sounding that they sound like old friends. That familiarity lends them the warmth of tradition, and should spare them from the spelling and pronunciation headaches that come with most rare names.

Best of all, these names should fit in with contemporary style, even as they stand apart. Their tones vary, from the light touch of Calla to the storybook charm of Clementine, but all have fashion elements that keep them current.

Photo: Getty Images

NAME WHY IS IT SO FAMILIAR?
Calla From the calla lily flower, and because it's so close to the nickname Callie (traditionally short for Caroline)

Blythe From actress Blythe Danner, and Blythe fashion dolls

Paloma From the Spanish word for dove, and from designer Paloma Picasso

Clementine                 "Oh my darlin', oh my darlin'..."

Hollis Because it's been quietly present as a girl's name, boy's name, surname and place name

Rhea From celebrities including actresses Rhea Perlman and and Seehorn, and from the mythological mother of Zeus

Cecily Because it's the antique English form of Cecilia, and from comedian Cecily Strong and actress Cicely Tyson

Adela From the French form Adele, and a global history ranging from a daughter of William the Conqueror to telenovela star Adela Noriega

Petra As a female form of Peter, the name of an ancient stone city in Jordan, and slow but steady usage in multiple languages

Mercy From the common word mercy, and occasional fictional characters

Daria From the MTV animated series Daria

Sylvie As the French form of Sylvia, and an occasional nickname for it

Althea From barrier-breaking tennis champion Althea Gibson

Coralie Because it's popular in French, and hits the same sweet old-fashioned notes as Rosalie

Beatrix From the form Beatrice, "Peter Rabbit" creator Beatrix Potter, and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Comments

November 28, 2018 11:30 AM

1. Cicely (Tyson) is not actually the same name as Cecily. :)

2. I'm not familiar with Hollis, like at all. Have I been living under a rock or something?

November 28, 2018 12:13 PM

I knew a female Hollis around 20 years ago.

Some friends named their daughter Rhea, who is now around 25.

Even furthur back I met a young girl named Blythe who must be 40 by now.

Althea is the name of a beloved Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter song (Grateful Dead)

It's surprising that as the feminine form of a very common name that Petra is so uncommon.

November 28, 2018 8:03 PM

some classes I know do have name repeats. I was unsurprised to have Henry and Lucy be borne by two of my kids’ classmates... but another classroom (at the private school not attended by my kids) actually is distinguished by having two girls named Paloma!

November 28, 2018 8:49 PM

Althea is also used in a poem called "To Althea, From Prison" by the poet Richard Lovelace. It's one of two of his poems to have women's names in the titles. He's best known for "To Lucasta, Going to the Wars."

November 28, 2018 11:38 PM

I would love to meet a young Blythe! It's on my list for our next baby! As are Beatrix, Cecily, and Sylvia

November 29, 2018 12:08 PM

@TheOtherHungarian -- while Cicely and Cecily are not the same name, I included both because I think they contribute to each other's familiarity. People tend to conflate the two...in fact, if you do a Google search for "Cecily Tyson" (in quotes), you get 50,000 results!

December 6, 2018 6:09 AM

I like the name Cecily most of all because my name is Cecil. This is a very rare and beautiful name. I think this is a Jewish name, which is associated with the name Caecilia. I met this name only once in my life, it was an employee of papersgram writing company https://papersgram.com/ that wrote my term paper. I never met such a name. I will name my daughter like this if I have a daughter.

December 6, 2018 7:49 AM

Most of all for boys I love such rare names : Phoenix, Duke, Dante. For girls I would prefer Kaia, Oriana.

essay dune

January 3, 2019 4:45 AM

Cecily and Blythe are also familiar names from the Anne of Green Gables books.

January 14, 2019 9:11 AM

Petra seems Deutsch for me. I remember a movie "Taxi" and there was a woman Petra, she was from Germany. Maybe it is the reason of such a rare using of this name. And I don't know why, but all these names are very appropriate for hurricane's names, or some paper writing helper tool.

February 26, 2019 7:17 AM

سفارش آنلاین غذا

خدمات سئو

خدمات مالی

February 28, 2019 1:37 PM

Hollis is popular as girl's name. Don't know that it is used for boys too.

March 1, 2019 6:09 AM

I too would love to meet a young Blythe! It's on my list for our next baby! As are Beatrix, Cecily, and Sylvia. Maira Nutrition

March 1, 2019 9:44 AM

Awesome article, thanks for sharing Laura as always!

March 2, 2019 4:57 AM

I like Blythe name. Maybe some day I'll call my daughter like so. But it will not be in near future :)

Also I like a name Albright. It's strange for sure. But I like it :)

March 3, 2019 4:36 AM

Have to agree with Clementine. I travel a lot and have met with many people all over the world with my friends. And we have only ever met someone with the name of Clementine once. I remember her story very clearly as such, she was the owner of a top legitimate paid online survey site.

March 4, 2019 12:39 PM

They're rare indeed. But sylvie, beatrix or cecily are such cute names. I would consider one of those names if i had a baby girl. :)

Regard,

Deviayu

March 7, 2019 5:40 PM

Rhea reminds me of my old manager a few years ago when I was selling Color Label Printers. She was a jerk and was always trying to make me hit my sales goal.

March 11, 2019 6:04 AM

private investigator sydney
wordpress speed optimization service

March 13, 2019 2:56 AM

This is amazing name..

居屋裝修

March 13, 2019 5:32 AM

March 13, 2019 12:47 PM

This is a amazing list of name i must say, really love this site for some beautiful names collection.

March 13, 2019 2:20 PM

Thank you for post . amazing names.

<a href="http://audiobookhouse.net/">Audio Books</a>

March 14, 2019 8:33 AM

Your writing ability at the best! Thanks for the nice article...

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/www-uidai-gov-in/">uidai.gov.in</a>

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/aadhar-card-status-by-name/">aadhar card status by name</a>

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/aadhar-download/">aadhar download</a>

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/aadhar-self-service-update-portal/">ssup update</a>

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/udyog-aadhar-registration/">udyog aadhar</a>

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/aadhar-card-download-by-name-and-date-of-birth/">aadhar card download by name and date of birth</a>

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/e-aadhar-password/">e aadhar password</a>

<a href="http://aadharcard.blog/tag/ssup-status">Ssup status</a>

March 16, 2019 6:55 AM

wow really all the name are very rare even most of the name i didn't hear, but one  of my frnd name is calla

Regards

Pukhraj

March 16, 2019 6:56 AM

Regards

Pukhraj

March 18, 2019 4:03 AM

Calla , this is surely a rare name as I have never heard of it. However while trekking Himalaya I cam accross a guy whoese mane was Kala.

March 18, 2019 6:23 PM

WOW really nice article. Daria is so lovely name. I think that will be name for my first daughter. The rest of the names are cute as well. Just can't wait when I will receive my first Mother's Day Gift from my child.

April 29, 2019 4:15 AM

Hire D2M Interior if you want a home renovation in Chennai to prepare your home for your baby. D2M Interior can help you to make your home baby-friendly and create a safe environment for your kid to grow.

May 11, 2019 11:45 AM

I would disagree with "Mercy" being on that list.

That is a pretty common name in many religious parts of the wold and I know quite a few girl who go by that name.

It might from your part of the world but frankly, I think Mercy is pretty common. LiZino

June 2, 2019 10:48 PM

Elva and Floy are actualy beautiful name, I really love it. This is my name Mitha Aprilia

June 16, 2019 11:47 AM

Today Putlocker hosts movies and TV shows of 40 countries in 27 genres.Also one of those rarest websites that are still hosting content of the 1940’s. When looking at the last few years many alternatives to Putlocker have emerged on the web, but none has been able to match the variety of its content collection. Nevertheless, it makes sense to take a look at alternatives as well so you can find new movies and TV shows.

June 18, 2019 5:28 AM

YourGhostProducers is the platform which connects up and emerging DJ's/Artist with top notch Edm Ghost ProducersYourGhostProducers

June 18, 2019 5:30 AM

Petra seems Deutsch for me. I remember a movie "Taxi" and there was a woman Petra, she was from Germany. Maybe it is the reason of such a rare using of this name. And I don't know why, but all these names are very appropriate for hurricane's names, or some paper writing helper tool.

June 25, 2019 12:55 PM

Petra seems Deutsch for me دانلود آهنگ. I remember a movie "Taxi" and there was a woman Petra, she was from Germany. Maybe it is the reason of such a rare using of this name. And I don't know why, but all these names are very appropriate for hurricane's names, or some paper writing helper tool.

July 8, 2019 4:01 AM

Công ty đòi nợ Cửu Long uy tín là công ty đòi nợ xấu cho công ty, doanh nghiệp, đòi nợ cho cá nhân hợp pháp duy nhất TPHCM áp dụng chính sách đòi nợ không thu phí dịch vụ trước.

<a href="https://doinocuulong.vn">doi no thue</a>

July 8, 2019 10:36 AM

From the name, Petra I always associate a Hungarian website <a href="https://pajkospajtas.hu/">Pajkos Pajtás szexshop</a> so it is funny for me... :D

July 17, 2019 6:10 AM

<a href="https://wwwofficecomsetupkey.com">www.office.com/setup and follow the on screen instructions </a>

July 17, 2019 6:12 AM

www.office.com/setup and follow the on screen instructions

July 17, 2019 6:12 AM

Girls names are cute

www.McAfee.com/activate | McAfee Activate

July 17, 2019 6:16 AM

Although these names are old but all of the names are beautiful. Evelina is the name of my wife who is working with an academic help compan mcafee offers a file shredder that may forever delete documents also, so there is no trace of sensitive advice you don’t want anybody else looking in,www.mcafee.com/activate parental settings for kids’s profiles, and a whole information backup to preserve your data files Harmless and available. mcafee com activate What’s possibly the most exceptional and exciting procedure attribute of all although

September 11, 2019 12:44 PM

Cecily and Blythe are also familiar names from the Anne of Green Gables books. <a href="Điêu khắc lông mày SonaLy

September 16, 2019 5:34 AM

Cyber security social engineering, internet. She writes for geek squad webroot products at  geeksquad webroot | geek squad webroot | webroot geek squad

September 16, 2019 5:37 AM

Thanks.

www.trendmicro.com/bestbuypc| trendmicro.com/bestbuypc | www.trendmicro.com besbuypc

September 16, 2019 6:12 AM

Webroot safe (Ultimate security) Download at www.webroot.com/safe ,a superb lightweight and super fast internet security is just one click away.Webroot is the next generation security provider to safeguard businesses and consumers in the IT world.

September 16, 2019 6:13 AM

www.macafee.com activate - Activate your Macafee products from mcafee products Macafee Antivirus provides a high security-based program to defend all the threats in your device that are regularly attacking your device.

September 17, 2019 2:14 AM

Nice NameNorton is the single subscription solution to download and activate Norton setup on your device.

September 17, 2019 2:16 AM