Arthur: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Arthur
Origin of the name Arthur:
Of Celtic origin but of unknown meaning. The name was borne by the legendary British King Arthur, leader of the knights of the Round Table, who supposedly lived in the 5th or 6th century. The name gained popularity from the great body of Arthurian legend that has remained of interest over the centuries. Var: Arthwr. Short: Art.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Arthur? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Arthur
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders)
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Armenian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Armenia
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- Armenian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Armenia, 2010
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France, 2010
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Arthur
- Comments and insights on the name Arthur: | Edit
I think this is a very sweet, gentle and friendly-sounding name. I also love how Artie and Art can be nicknames for it. Gorgeous!
One of the possible derivations is from the Briton word art meaning bear.
The French pronunciation is AR-tour
- Personal experiences with the name Arthur: | Edit
My maternal grandfather is named Arthur, and he goes by Art. His favorite comment about his name is, "I wouldn't name a rattlesnake Arthur!"
We named our son Arthur. We love it, and most reactions are very positive from the educated/artsy crowd in our generation. My parents' generation is taken aback and assumes it's a family name (it's not). Arthur is just too cute on a toddler, and it's a name he can grow into for the rest of his life.
- Nicknames for Arthur: | Edit
Art, Artie, Bear, Tuur
- Meanings and history of the name Arthur: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Arthur: | Edit
King Arthur Pendragon - the Arthurian Legends
Arthur, Prince of Wales (1486-1502) - older brother of Henry VIII
Arthur Ashe, professional tennis player
Arthur Balfour (1848-1930) - British Prime Minister 1902-5
Arthur C. Clark, British science fiction author
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Scottish physician and writer of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries.
Arthur Miller, Playwright
Arthur Marx, Harpo Marx's real name
Sir Arthur Sullivan, composer, collaborator with W.S. Gilbert (Pirates of Penzance, The Mikado)
Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington (1769-1852)- British general and Prime Minister
Arthur Saint Bleick, son of actress and Selma Blair and Jason Bleick
- Arthur in song, story & screen: | Edit
Arthur Penhaligon- the main character in the book series 'The Keys to the Kingdom' by Garth Nix.
Arthur Bach, the title character in the 1981 film comedy Arthur, starring Dudley Moore
Arthur Dent, the protagonist of Douglas Adams' science fiction series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Arthur Timothy Read, an eight-year old aardvark in the children's animated television program Arthur
Arthur Weasley, a character in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter septology
Arthur Curry, real name of Aquaman in DC comics
Arthur "Boo" Radley, reclusive character from "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.
Arthur, fictional character in the film Inception, portrayed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
Arthur Kirkland, the personified form of Britain in the anime Hetalia.