Aaron: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Aaron
Origin of the name Aaron:
Derived from the Hebrew aharōn (the exalted one). Aaron was the elder brother and spokesman of Moses, who suffered from a speech impediment, as well as the first high priest of the Hebrews.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Aaron? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Aaron
- Comments and insights on the name Aaron: | Edit
My husband's name is Aaron and I love it because my name is also Erin. The one thing we knew forsure was that our kids would ot be named after us.
My husband's name is Aaron and I love it. It is a name that was good for a young man and I think it will age well with him. It is strong, friendly, smart. The only thing I really don't like about the name is the fact it is so common.
my best friend in the whole entire world during high school was named Aaron! I really do think it is a great names as it can fit just about any person. my friend was lanky and funny and quiet at times but totally insane! where as a boy i went to church with was strong and athletic and completely gorgeousss.
Aaron is such a great, strong name. I was going to name my son Aaron, but then my husband and I decided to call him Arran, after the Scottish island. There are so many forms and meaning of this name...hebrew/arabic "exalted one"....and then south east asian, I believe Aryn or Aran means "colours before the sunrise"....then, our little island dweller/sleeping warrior, for the scottish island, Arran!
We always say the name "Ah-Run"...it confuses me that some people tend to sae "EAR-un".....?
it's actually my bf's name and I had a friend who was a girl who had it spelled like this for a while til she changed it to Erin. Pronounced Air-Rin. It's also a very common name, I hear it and see it everywhere.
I wanted to call one of my twins Aaron - but my husband wouldn't let me as we named the other twin "Carter"! haha. "Aaron (&) Carter" We ended up calling the twins "Bentley & Carter" but eventually 2 kids later I convinced my husband to let me name our 3rd son - but we conprimised and spelt it "Aaran" lol
- Personal experiences with the name Aaron: | Edit
In Southern California, where I am from, the names "Aaron" and "Erin" are pronounced the same, so clarification of gender is often needed. I'm told this is not true everywhere in the States.
I'm from Texas and they are pronounced the same way here too, drives my husband crazy I say it the same as Erin..(He is from Louisiana and evern his momma says it the same) *note* I'm pretty sure everyone in Louisiana says Erin and Aaron the same
In scotland Aaron can be pronounced too many ways! "Air-on" is a way which I see very rarely anywhere but scotland. "ah-run" "air-in" "air-un".... lots.. Erin is always pronounced as "Err-in"
I'm from Manchester, UK. At school all the boys with this name pronounced it "AH-run" but my cousin who is half-Turkish pronounces it "AIR-un".
I'm from Long Island, New York and I have heard Aaron pronounced both as "A-rin" and "AIR-in". We pronounce Erin "ERR-in". However, I still need gender clarification when I hear the name Aaron because I actually know a little girl named Arin (pronounced "A-rin" or "AIR-in" too) who was named after her grandfather.
- Nicknames for Aaron: | Edit
Aar, Aro, Airhead, Arab, Ron, Ronny, Ronald, Ro, Ar, Air
- Meanings and history of the name Aaron: | Edit
From the Old Testament, Aaron is Moses' older brother - and did the talking for Moses to Pharaoh, meaning mountain and great strength.
- Famous real-life people named Aaron: | Edit
Aaron Eckhart, American actor
Aaron Copland, 20th c. American composer
Aaron Burr, third US Vice President (under Jefferson)
Aaron Neville, American singer
Aaron Spelling, American TV producer
Aaron Montgomery Ward, American businessman
Aaron, brother of Moses, Biblical figure
Aaron Dismuke, American voice actor
Aaron Montgomery Ward, American businessman
Aaron Stern, American musician
Aaron Spelling, American film and television producer
Aaron Rodgers, American football player
Aaron Solowoniuk, member of band Billy Talent
Aaron Morris, Welsh soccer player
Aaron Poreda, American major league baseball player
Aaron Parchem, American figure skater
Aaron Miller, retired American ice hockey player
Aaron Klug, English chemist and astrophysicist
Aaron Lewis, American singer; member of band Staind
Aaron Gillespie, American drummer/vocalist of UnderOath
Aaron Boone, American baseball player
Aaron Carter, American bubblegum pop singer & dancer in the early 2000's
- Aaron in song, story & screen: | Edit
TV character Aaron 'Hotch' Hotchner on "Criminal Minds" (a smart, somewhat authoritarian, leader)
Aaron Burnett is main character in the book series "The Medallion of Franzek" by the Argentine writer Canela Lopez Fassón
Aaron Stack, alias of Machine Man in Marvel comics
"Primal Fear" character Aaron Stampler (Edward Norton)
Aaron Littleton, Claire's baby on the TV series "Lost"
Name Lists Featuring Aaron
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (Italian), 2010