Adrian: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Adrian
Origin of the name Adrian:
Derived from the Latin Adriānus (man from the city of Adria) and Hadriānus (man from the city of Hadria).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Adrian? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Adrian
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria, 2010
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway, 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Adrian
- Comments and insights on the name Adrian: | Edit
Adrian was a family surname for us, my grandmother's maiden in fact. I thought we were being a little odd in 1994 when I named my son Adrian as I had heard it mostly as a feminine name. I was so wrong, I hear it everywhere now and not just young children. Alot of Carribean and European men are named Adrian, it must be more traditional in these places. Still love the name even though it is not as original as I thought.
Keegan and Adrian is a good match, I think. :)
- Personal experiences with the name Adrian: | Edit
My son (preschool-age) is often mistakenly called the more common name Aiden.
My twin brother is called Adrian, which we often shorten to 'Ade'. i think it shows he's srong and reliable, while Ade can show his playful side.
- Nicknames for Adrian: | Edit
Adri, Ady, Age, Dryn, A-D (pronounced Ay-Dee), Ade
A nickname for Adrianus, Adi (pronounced Ah-Dee)
- Meanings and history of the name Adrian: | Edit
In Latin it means,"Of the Adriatic" In German it means, "Black;Dark"
- Famous real-life people named Adrian: | Edit
Adrian Grenier (born 1976), American actor
Adrian Peterson (born 1985), American football player
Adrian R'Mante (born 1978), American actor
Adrian Pasdar (born 1965), American actor
Adrien Brody (born 1973), American actor
Adrian Reed Dilley (born 1993), from the first surviving set of sextuplets born in the United States
Adrian Vandenberg ( born 1956) Dutch Musician,Guitarist
- Adrian in song, story & screen: | Edit
Adrian Monk (played by Tony Shalhoub), the obsessive-compulsive detective in the American television show Monk.
Adrian Blue, drummer.
The son of the devil in the movie Rosemary's Baby (1968).
Adrian Mole, the protagonist of "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4" and the many books that follow.
Adrian Ivashkov, one of the characters in the book series 'The Vampire Academy'