Aidan Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Aidan:
Anglicized form of the Irish Aodhan (little fiery one).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Aidan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Aidan
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand for 2012
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Aidan
- Comments and insights on the name Aidan: | Edit
Aidan is considered the traditional anglicized spelling of the classic Celtic name. Parents who value the name's Irish roots typically choose this spelling, while those who are drawn to the name for its sound a la Jayden and Brayden tend to choose the newer -en spellings.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I've met alot of babies and toddlers named Aidan. I feel like it's going to be something like a male version of Olivia, very popular. You can tell because parents have entered the stage where it's such a common name that they've started spelling it differently to make their child more 'unique'. I've seen Aidyn, Aiden, Ayden, ect. Your son probably won't be the only one in his class.
I named my daughter Aidan because I found it in my midwifes book I was told that the girl spelling was Aidan and the boy spelling was Aiden so I decided no matter what my child was gonna be named Aidan just the spelling would depend on whether she turned out male or female.
A possible reason quite a few Aidans have a sister named Nadia is because they are anagrams of each other: Aidan is Nadia spelled backward. AIDAN, DANIA, DIANA, NADIA and NAIDA are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
USAGE: Irish, Scottish, English (Modern)
PRONOUNCED: AY-dən (English)
VARIANTS: Aodhán, Edan (Irish), Aodhán, Edan (Scottish), Aden, Aiden, Aydan, Ayden (English)
DIMINUTIVES: Aodhagán (Irish), Aodhagán, Iagan (Scottish)
OTHER LANGUAGES/CULTURES: Áed, Áedán, Áedh (Ancient Irish), Áed, Aodh, Áedán, Aodhán (Irish Mythology)
POPULARITY: #161 in England and Wales, #52 in Ireland, #89 in Northern Ireland, #79 in Scotland, #221 in United States
- Personal experiences with the name Aidan: | Edit
I fell for the name Aidan when I saw "Desperately Seeking Susan" starring Aidan Quinn, back in the 80's.
I saw 'Stakeout' and fell for the name, too!
I fancy the name Aidan!! Simply because I read these sequels called 'Haven,Mirage and Eternal' by Kristi Cook... There was this mysterious, interesting and complicated vampire dude(Aidan Gray) who charmed this psychic girl(Violet McKenna) and they fell in lOvE!!
I named my son after Aidan Quinn too...love the name....love him!
I know 2 Aidans and one Aiden. The Aiden is noticeably cooler than both the Aidans, so I prefer the -en spelling.
OMG! I have a friend named Aidan at my music school; he plays trumpet, and he is super nice!!! His brother's name is Luke. I also have a friend at my karate dojo named Ayden, spelt like that, and he had two sisters: Mikayla and Avery. Overall, Aidan is a great name for a boy!
- Nicknames for Aidan: | Edit
valentine day pictures
Ian (it's a stretch, yes, but I do know a 3yo Aidan who goes by Ian)
- Meanings and history of the name Aidan: | Edit
Anglicized form of AODHÁN. In the latter part of the 20th century it became popular in America due to its sound, since it uses the same fashionable aden suffix sound found in such names as Braden and Hayden.
- Famous real-life people named Aidan: | Edit
Actor Aidan Gillen
Actor Aidan Quinn
Author Aidan Chambers
Actor Aidan Turner (recently portraying dwarf Kili in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)
Aidan Clinton Mezvinsky (b. 2016), son of American investor Marc Mezvinsky and Chelsea Clinton
Aidan Gallagher, American actor
Aidan Miner, American actor
- Aidan in song, story & screen: | Edit
Aidan Shaw, Carrie's laid-back, compassionate boyfriend, played by John Corbett, on the HBO series "Sex in the City".