Alfred Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alfred:
Derived from the Old English Ælfred, a compounding of the elements ælf (elf) and ræd (counsel). Elves were considered to be supernatural beings having special powers of seeing into the future; thus the name took on the meaning "wise counsel."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alfred? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alfred
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark 2014
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark, 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark for 2012.
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alfred
- Comments and insights on the name Alfred: | Edit
Perfect for a young boy with blonde hair, blue eyes, glasses, and a weird cowlick that loves to proclaim himself the HERO!!!
Good name for a boy who likes heros and McDonalds.
Imagine the poor confused people who don’t get the references on all the common name’s pages lol
- Personal experiences with the name Alfred: | Edit
Oh, websites like these are so fun! I hope little Alfred won't be too mad if I share what I know about him. It seems like only yesterday we were at each other's throats. Ah yes, those were the good old days.
If you know a little tyke named Alfred, shame on the parents for naming their child such a name. They'll grow up to be a loud, obnoxious, greedy pig like the Alfred I know. There are so many faults to Alfred I can't even get started. He's so full of himself and never thinks about anyone but himself. However, the little sunflower does have some good about him too.
Alfred is a man who's childish, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It may seems like he's only thinking about himself, but he's really thinking about you too- just really deep inside. He'll pay you a lot of attention, but sometimes it can be smothering. Also, he'll always be a step behind when trying to get into space first.
He's also very much wrong on how to live life, but I still love him anyway.
I can't wait to marry him! -Kiku Honda
Obnoxious and a bit to oblivious, but still very likable.
- Nicknames for Alfred: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Alfred: | Edit
"Elf"-"friend"...Friend of the elves. Anglo-Saxon.
- Famous real-life people named Alfred: | Edit
Alfred the Great, king of Wessex 871-899 (born 848/9)
Alfred, Lord Tennyson, British poet
Alfred Hitchcock, suspense film director
Alfred Molina, actor
Alfred Nobel, Swedish chemist and engineer, who created the Nobel Prizes
Alfred Kinsey, American biologist and sex researcher
Alfred "Weird Al" Yankovic (born Alfred Matthew Yankovic), parody–comedy musician
Alfred de Musset, French romantic poet and playwright
- Alfred in song, story & screen: | Edit
Alfred Pennyworth, butler and confidante to Bruce Wayne (Batman)
Alfred P. Doolittle, Eliza's drunk father in "My Fair Lady" and "Pygmalion"
Alfred F. Jones is America's human name in Axis Powers: Hetalia.
Alfred E. Neuman, fictitious red-haired mascot and cover boy of the American humor magazine Mad.