Alistair: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Alistair
Origin of the name Alistair:
A Gaelic form of Alexander (defender of mankind). Var: Alasdair, Alastor.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alistair? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alistair
- Comments and insights on the name Alistair: | Edit
Scottish variant of Alexander and a classic, educated name.
We named our son Alistair, we call him Al. As with any name that is less normal, you have to have a solid normal sounding nickname to go with it.
Regularly appears in the top 100 in Great Britain.
- Personal experiences with the name Alistair: | Edit
I know a very smart man called Alistair. He is very kind and well-spoken. I think the name Alistair is very strong and has a great nickname to go with it.
- Nicknames for Alistair: | Edit
Al, Alec, Alick, Aliss, Stairy, StairStair, Ali,
- Meanings and history of the name Alistair: | Edit
Alasdair is the Gaelic form of Alexander, Alistair is the British spelling.
- Famous real-life people named Alistair: | Edit
Alistair Taylor, personal assistant to Beatles' manager Brian Epstein
- Alistair in song, story & screen: | Edit
Alistair is a vampire in Stephanie Myers' book "Breaking Dawn"
Alistair Theirin is a character in the game "Dragon Age"