Amir Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Amir:
Derived from the Arabic amīr (prince, emir), which is from the verb amara (to command, to rule). Amir has been used as a title for a host of designations including rulers of provinces and caliphs.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Amir? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Amir
Contribute your knowledge to the name Amir
- Comments and insights on the name Amir: | Edit
Amir, Irma, Mari, Mira and Rami are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Amir: | Edit
If you ever meet an Amir call them Reflection (A Mirror)
- Nicknames for Amir: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Amir: | Edit
Amir is a Hebrew and Arabic name meaning "treetop," and also a French diminutive meaning "little beloved."
Its other meaning in Hebrew is "tall".
- Famous real-life people named Amir: | Edit
Amir Khan, aka "King Khan", English boxer of Pakistani descent.
- Amir in song, story & screen: | Edit
Amir is the name of the main character and narrator of the novel/movie "The Kite Runner."