Andrew: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Andrew
Origin of the name Andrew:
Derived from the Greek andreios (manly). The name is borne by one of the apostles. He was a fisherman, a brother of Simon Peter, a disciple of John the Baptist, and the first disciple of Jesus.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Andrew? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Andrew
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Andrew
- Comments and insights on the name Andrew: | Edit
Nice solid and classic name.
This is a great masculine name with many good nicknames to choose from.
- Personal experiences with the name Andrew: | Edit
Andrew is a great, strong, classic name, and Andy is a good playful name. I'm glad my parents named my little brother Andrew! It fits him perfectly.
Andrew is my brother (born in 1984). He never fails to impress me every day. He has become an amazing, intelligent, witty, handsome, and well-rounded man. I am so proud of him!
I have a good friend named Andy and he's so awesome. He's hilarious and makes me laugh all the time. I love it. He's also super smart and is going to be so successful. He is such a nice guy and is a pretty rare find. I'm really glad I got to know him.
I have an 8-month old baby named Andrew, and we call him Drew. He is a super-happy baby that loves to smile, laugh, chuckle, and growl. He is our delight.
My husband's name is Andrew, but he's always gone by Andy. I think its a great name, though a bit popular.
My husband is Andrew, called Andy. It fits him to a 'T'. Funny, handsome, and smart.
We named our son Andrew, and we call him Andy. He'll be two in March, and he's so adorable.
As I was expecting, I asked my husband on what to call our child if he were a boy and we both said at the same time 'Andrew'. It was quite ironic how much we both loved the name without realising or without discussing this before. When our beautiful boy was born, without a question or change of mind, we proudly called him Andrew and we both love that name to this very day.
- Nicknames for Andrew: | Edit
Andy, Drew, Andre, Drewbie, Roo
- Meanings and history of the name Andrew: | Edit
St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland
Greek for manly or love
- Famous real-life people named Andrew: | Edit
HRH Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Andrew Jackson - 7th President of the United States
Andrew Johnson - 17th President of the United States
Andrew Garfield - American-English actor
Andrew Carnegie - American industrialist
Andrew Wyeth - American artist
Andrew "Andy" Biersack, lead singer/founder of the band Black Veil Brides
Andrew "Andy" Glass, bassist for the band We Came As Romans
Drew Brees, American football quarterback for the New Orleans Saints
Andrew Hussie - creator of Homestuck
- Andrew in song, story & screen: | Edit
Amos & Andy
Andy, the little boy in Disney's Toy Story
Andrews Airbase, outside of Washington D.C., is the home base of Air Force One.
Hurricane Andrew was one of the worst Hurricanes to make landfall in the U.S.
Andrew was the first disciple recruited by Jesus Christ in the New Testament
Andy Bernard on The Office
Andy Pandy, UK TV show (& character)