Anthony: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Anthony
Origin of the name Anthony:
Derived from the Latin Antonius, an old Roman family name of unknown etymology. “Priceless” and “of inestimable worth” are popular folk definitions of the name. Var: Anton, Antonio. Short: Toni, Tonio, Tony.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Anthony? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Anthony
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Anthony
- Comments and insights on the name Anthony: | Edit
To be honest sounds a middle name to me. But a nice name too
- Personal experiences with the name Anthony: | Edit
It's a three syllable word that does not lend itself well to getting one's name called on a sport's field. Even "tony" only shortens it to two syllables. On the other hand, I was usually the only Anthony in my classes. It carries an air of "smartness" with it, I think. I haven't known a lot of stupid Anthonys.
I, on the other hand, have met plenty of stupid Anthonys. But they're usually nice guys anyway.
I have a friend named Anthony and he's a great athlete–he goes by Anthony and it does actually sound ok being announced on a sport's field.
I have met both smart and stupid Anthonys, one of the latter being my older brother...theyre usually nice though. He hates the name Tony so we either call him Anthony, or Ant...My dad sometimes calls him Antonio...though i have no idea why
The sexiest man alive
My brother Anthonie(Anthony) is not really our brother but he's very Reckless person. He likes to play HoN(Heroes of newerth).-zirukurt01
My older brother is named Anthony. He is the third Anthony in out family... My grandpa is the first, my dad the second and of course my brother is the third. We call him "TJ" because it'd just be confusing having three Tonys ( Tony is what everyone calls my dad) so my parents took the "T" from Tony and the "J" from their middle name "James"
My brother was born in 1980. In my father's family, the naming tradition would have dictated my brother's name to be Anton Joseph and my brother's future son to be LeRoy Andrew. It doesn't seem like a pattern but it is. Anton being our great-great grandfather's name and Joseph being our grandfather's name. LeRoy would be my brother's future son's great-great grandfather and Andrew is our father's name. My mother, being my mother, could not deal with Anton (German) being her son's name so she declared his name would be Anthony (and never a nickname) and his middle name would come from her side of the family. And thus, my brother should be Anton but is Anthony and I highly doubt either of our future sons will be LeRoy!
- a side note - I can't imagine my brother being anyone but Anthony and I guess Mom's plan wasn't so error proof after all. ~Tony's little sister~
My name is Toni, my father died when I was 5. He was my hero, so I named my son, Anthonee because I didn't want another Tony. His friends may call him Tony someday, but my family calls him Anthonee. No Tony for the family.
My Dad's name is Anthony, but his mother didn't like "Tony" because she thought it was too Italian, so she and the family always called him Andy. It confused many other people who then thought he was an Andrew. He gave his son (my brother) the middle name Anthony, and my brother in turn named his first son Anthony. This Anthony has always been called Anthony, no nicknames.
- Nicknames for Anthony: | Edit
Tony, Toni, Ton, Tons, Antonio, Ant, Fox, Tonio, Antonino, Anth, TJ, Tho, Annie, Andy
- Meanings and history of the name Anthony: | Edit
Worthy of Praise; Prince of the Sea.
- Famous real-life people named Anthony: | Edit
Tony (Anthony) Blair, British Prime Minister (1997-2007)
Anthony Eden, British Prime Minister (1955-57)
Anthony Hopkins, British actor
Anthony Kiedis- Lead singer of band Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tony (Anthony) Shalhoub, Actor
Mark Anthony, singer
Anthony Padilla- American internet personality, part of the YouTube comedy duo Smosh
Anthony Quintal (@lohanthony)- American internet personality
Anthony Perkins-Actor the original Norman Bates 1932-1992
- Anthony in song, story & screen: | Edit
Tony the John Travolta character in Saturday Night Fever;
Tony the Tiger, who loves Frosted Flakes (they're grr-eat!)
Anthony's Song by Billy Joel
Anthony "Tony" Stark, comic book alter-ego of the superhero Iron Man that appears Marvel comic books, as well as the subsequent movies starring Robert Downey Jr.
NCIS Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo of CBS television show NCIS
Tony Stonem, character on Skins
Anthony Marantino, high-strung wedding planner and gay confidante of Charlotte York on the HBO series "Sex and the City".