Antonio: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Antonio
Origin of the name Antonio:
Derived from the Latin Antonius, an old Roman family name of unknown etymology. “Priceless” and “of inestimable worth” are popular folk definitions of the name. Var: Anton, Antonio. Short: Toni, Tonio, Tony.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Antonio? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Antonio
- Comments and insights on the name Antonio: | Edit
Mission San Antonio in California's Monterey County was named after San Antonio de Padua (St. Anthony of Padua)
San Antonio, Texas was also named after Saint Anthony of Padua, whose feast day it was when Spanish explorers stopped in the area in 1691.
In Spanish and Italian it is written Antonio, whereas in Portuguese it is written António or Antônio.
- Personal experiences with the name Antonio: | Edit
There is a brief "prayer" to Saint Anthony, probably due to rhyming in Spanish more than any association he might have with matchmaking:
"San Antonio, dame novio", which means, "Saint Anthony, give me a boyfriend".
- Nicknames for Antonio: | Edit
Tonio, Tony, Toño, Toñito
Tó, Toninho, Antoninho, Toni, Tonecas (in Portuguese), Tino
- Meanings and history of the name Antonio: | Edit
Origin Italian - priceless. Variation of Antonius.
Origin Portuguese - of inestimable worth. Variation of Anthony
- Famous real-life people named Antonio: | Edit
Antonio Banderas, actor
Antonio Aguilar, singer, actor and producer
Antonio Salandra, Italian Prime Minister
Antonio Starabba, Italian Prime Minister
Antonio Segni, Italian Prime Minister
Antonio "Tony" Mendez, American author and former CIA operative. Ben Affleck plays Mendez in the film Argo.
- Antonio in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!
Name Lists Featuring Antonio
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile
- Italian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Italy
- Italian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Italy, 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal