Arlo Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Arlo? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Arlo
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand 2014
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- English Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England
Contribute your knowledge to the name Arlo
- Comments and insights on the name Arlo: | Edit
I have two sons and we named our youngest Arlo and we always receive many comments about what a lovely name it is. We get people confusing Arlo with Harlow but apart from that, I think it's a great name. It's really unusual and I think it's a great name for a child or an adult.
I have a 2 year old named Arlo. His twin is Ason.
Arlo could easily be confused with Harlow and vice versa.
Arlo, Lora and Orla are anagrams of each other - they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Arlo: | Edit
My oldest son is named Arlo. We were aware of the name from folk singer, Arlo Guthrie. However, my son Arlo is not named in tribute to Guthrie. We also have a family acquaintance named Arlo who is about 55 years older than my son. To date, they both like their names. Arlo always strikes everyone as unusual, but in a good way. It's a friendly name, but masculine and strong as well. It's unpretentious and we have always had positive reaction to the name.
I know a few Arlos, but only one of them made me really start to like the name. He is gorgeous, with a cheeky grin, blue eyes, blond hair... :D
- Nicknames for Arlo: | Edit
Arles, Lo, Ari, Arlie
- Meanings and history of the name Arlo: | Edit
There are several origins of the name:
An Italian variant of Charles.
The Spanish word for the 'barberry tree'.
An Old English variant of Harlow, derived from the Anglo-Saxon words here and hlaw, meaning 'army hill'.
- Famous real-life people named Arlo: | Edit
Folk musician Arlo Guthrie
Arlo Olson, WWII United States Army officer and recipient of the Medal of Honor.
Bez from The Happy Mondays has a son called Arlo
Arlo Robert Galafassi (b. 2011), son of Australian actress and musician Toni Collette
- Arlo in song, story & screen: | Edit
Character in 24 called Arlo Glass
Arlo White is a presenter on Radio 5 live in the UK
Title character in the comic strip "Arlo and Janis" by Jimmy Johnson.
Arlo Givens is the ne'er-do-well father of protagonist Raylan Givens in the tv show Justified.
Arlo (often nicknamed Asslo or Arselo because he is one) from the webtoon unOrdinary
Arlo, the main character in Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur