Banister Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Banister? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Banister
Contribute your knowledge to the name Banister
- Comments and insights on the name Banister: | Edit
Often used as a surname, rather than a primary name.
A banister is the handrail on the side of a staircase.
- Personal experiences with the name Banister: | Edit
Banastre was a moderately common christian name in the 17th-early 19th centuries in England and the Netherlands. The name has strong associations with Banastre Tarleton, a British Officer in the American Revolution (known popularly as Tavington from the film "The Patriot").
- Nicknames for Banister: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Banister: | Edit
Root from the French word bath meaning keeper of the bath.
Also (probably most often) a variant of Bannister, an English occupational surname meaning "basket weaver."
- Famous real-life people named Banister: | Edit
Banastre Tarleton (18th Century Military Officer), David Banister (The Incredible Hulk), Gary Banister (British Football player, Steve Banister (British rugby player).
- Banister in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!