Bojan Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Bojan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Bojan
Contribute your knowledge to the name Bojan
- Comments and insights on the name Bojan: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Bojan: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Bojan: | Edit
Bo, Boki, Bojo, Bojanče
- Meanings and history of the name Bojan: | Edit
There is some discussion as to where the name Boyan comes from. The usual explanation is that it is derived from the word boy, which means battle, and the suffix -ан (-an) which is common in Bulgarian and Slavic names. Together, Boyan means warrior or fighter.
Some people disagree, and think that name originates from two languages: the Proto-Bulgarian language, where the name means military commander as a noun, and grisly and militant as an adjective, and the Slavic word boy (Cyrilic:Боj/Бой), which means "battle". Others yet believe that it comes from famous khagan of Avars, Bayan I (562-602), who ruled the Slavs in Panonia.
Another possibility for the origin of the name. In the area of modern Czech Republic (Bohemia, in Serbian Bojka ) lived the Celtic tribe Boii. Later this area was inhabited first by ancestors of modern Serbs (White Serbs) and after them Czech tribes. It is possible that name Boyan originates from the name of this Celtic tribe Boii.
There is also another possibility that the Celtic Irish Bryan or Brian is related to the Bulgarian and Slavic Boyan or Bojan not only in spelling similarity but also in meaning. Therefore according to the Celtic Irish origin of the name Bryan or Brian, the Bulgarian and Slavic name Boyan or Bojan could have the meaning strong or noble. See Bryan or Brian.
- Famous real-life people named Bojan: | Edit
* Batbayan of Bulgaria, also known as Batboyan or simply Boyan. The first son of Bulgarian khan Kubrat.
* Boyan or also known as Saint Enravota, was the eldest son of khan Omurtag of Bulgaria and the first Bulgarian Christian martyr, as well as the earliest Bulgarian saint to be canonized.
* Boyan, a Russian bard from the 10th century
* Boyan Dimitrov, a famous Bulgarian mathematician
* Bojan Djordjic, a Swedish footballer of Serbian descent
* Boyan Iliev, a Bulgarian football player
* Bojan Križaj, a Slovenian alpine skier
* Bojan Krkić, a Spanish footballer of Serbian descent
* Bojan Marović, a Montenegrin singer
* Bojan Neziri, a Serbian football player of Albanian descent
* Boyan Radev, a Bulgarian wrestler
* Bojan Šarčević, a Bosnian-French visual artist
* Boyan Tabakov, a Bulgarian football player
* Boyan Yordanov, a Bulgarian volleyball player
* Bojan Zdešar, a Slovenian freestyle swimmer
* Bojan Zulfikarpašić, French-Serbian jazz pianist
- Bojan in song, story & screen: | Edit
Slovenian cartoon series is called "Bojan" and is about a bear who uses colors to create things.