Caedmon: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Caedmon
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Caedmon? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Caedmon
- Comments and insights on the name Caedmon: | Edit
Caedmon is often mispronounced as "Kayd-man", but kudos to the Baby Name Wizard for the correct pronunciation guide!
My brother's name is Caedmon and it is pronounced "Kayd-man". I don't think it really matters how you pronounce it.
- Personal experiences with the name Caedmon: | Edit
-We named our son Caedmon (b. 2008) and many people when they first hear it confuse it with "Kevin".
-Our twins are Caedmon and Gage (b. 02/2010). Many people have pronounced it Camden or Caden when they read it. I'm constantly correcting people, but we love the name. My husband was sold on it when he googled it and found out it means "Wise Warrior". His middle name is Bleu, Caedmon Bleu. My husband liked it...I was leaning towards Caedmon Michael...but I love that he has an original name that won't be overused at school.
- M son was named Caedmon in 1999. We have never met another. Originally,when he was six or so, people struggled with it and he felt embarrassed so he tried to change it to "Cade". But we didn't allow it. We affirmed that it was a beautiful, old name, not a trendy meaningless one and we looked up the inspiration. I have read here that the name is mispronounced. I don't care. We pronounce it CADE-min.
- Nicknames for Caedmon: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Caedmon: | Edit
Meaning: "wise warrior"
- Famous real-life people named Caedmon: | Edit
7th century Celtic saint, considered the father of modern liturgical music. Caedmon is the first known poet in English, writer of the Anglo-Saxon "Caedmon's Hymn." The story of its composition is recorded in Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People.
- Caedmon in song, story & screen: | Edit
The Christian music group Caedmon's Call is named after the historic Caedmon. However, they mispronounce the name.