Caleb: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Caleb
Origin of the name Caleb:
Hebrew name meaning "a dog; faithful." It is borne in the Bible by a leader of the Israelites, one of those sent by Moses to scout out the land in the second year after the Exodus. He and Joshua were the only people over the age of twenty to enter the Promised Land.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Caleb? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Caleb
- Comments and insights on the name Caleb: | Edit
The name Caleb is #9 on the list of top 100 cool baby boy names in the baby name book "Cool Names" by Pamela Redmond Satran and Linda Rosenkrantz.
Can be pronounced as Kay-Lev (closer to the original hebrew) or Cale-eb.
This name is often hard for foreigners to pronounce. i.e. spanish speaker often say Kah-lub, and korean speakers, Kay-Rob.
I love this name. It's Biblical, but not too commonplace; it's current but not trendy; it's traditional, but not humdrum. It works well for both Christian and Jewish men, but is not heavily associated with either. Also, I feel it ages well. It sounds nice on males of all ages. I would seriously consider giving my son the name Caleb.
- Personal experiences with the name Caleb: | Edit
We named our son Caleb in May of 2008. It is a strong, masculine name, and we love the story of Caleb in the Bible. We do get asked if it is spelled with a C or a K a lot. Oh, and we did his nursery in puppies. =)
Our son Caleb was born in 1994. His nursery theme was Noah's Ark with different colorful animals. We love the name because it's a biblical name & we love the story too. About two years after he was born, my father found the name Caleb from the early 1900's in our family tree album so it was pretty neat it was like naming after a family member. :)
I went to middle and high school with a Caleb. This was in the 00s. The boy was lovely, but I fell in love with the name instantly.
- Nicknames for Caleb: | Edit
Cale, Cal, Cab, Cabes, Cabela, Cabe, Cub, Leb
- Meanings and history of the name Caleb: | Edit
Upon further research, one finds that Caleb is translated from the original Hebrew as "whole-hearted, devoted." Celeb is more the Hebrew for "dog." We named our youngest son Caleb after the Hebrew definition which accurately fits the character of the Biblical Caleb sent as one of the 12 Israelite spies to survey the Promised Land.
In America, Caleb means bold & loyal. From the Hebrew Ka, meaning "like, as" and Lev, meaning "heart," making the meaning "like the heart." In France, Leo is the french name for Caleb.
After going through lots of different meanings of Caleb I've come to the conclusion that it means faithful or loyal. Some say it means dog and one thing that a lot of dogs are known for is being loyal. Others say Caleb means of the heart and when I think of the heart I think of truth, honesty, and faithfulness.
- Famous real-life people named Caleb: | Edit
Caleb Followill, American musician
Caleb Deschanel, American film director
Caleb Crushing, American diplomat
Caleb Carr, American novelist
Caleb Strong, American Revolutionary War-era politician
- Caleb in song, story & screen: | Edit
Caleb is the youngest child of Jacob Whitting in "Sarah, Plain, and Tall" (both movie & book).
Caleb is the husband in the movie "Fireproof."
Caleb is a young man in the TV soap opera "The Young & The Restless."
Caleb Odell is a character in the TV show Heartland.
Caleb is a brother in "7 Brides for 7 Brothers."
"Searching for Caleb" is an amazing book by Anne Tyler.
Caleb Trask is a character in John Steinbeck's 1952 novel "East of Eden" and the 1955 film of the same name.
Caleb Rivers is a character in the TV series/book series Pretty Little Liars.
Caleb Prior is a character in the book series Divergent.
Name Lists Featuring Caleb
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010